BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Dominic Samuel

https://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/sport-opinion/curious-case-dominic-samuel-never-13362740

Managers have come and gone since McDermott, but none really took to Samuel.

Nigel Adkins was critical of the player's attitude, as was current boss Jaap Stam. Samuel never a key part in Steve Clarke's plans when he was manager.

This is where I found that hes been accused of having a poor attitude in the past.

I don't agree at all that hes worked hard when hes been on the pitch, hes looked at times disinterested.

He was good at the start of the season but can't get near the starting line-up at the moment because of incredible form of Danny Graham. He's strong and quick but his finishing/composure isn't his strong point. Most strikers need regular game time for them to find their top form so I don't think we can judge him until he gets a proper run in the side. 500k is looking a bit expensive so far but he's still young and could prove to be a bargain in a few years time. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Only because you either ignored my point or didnt understand, the point was they both have attributes that are useful, power and pace, enough for managers to take a chance of, and I suggested that I hope that Samuel doesnt have a similar career, ie many clubs but never really finding a home due to a poor attitude.

I know, but he clearly isnt convinced, hence him being dropped.

Samuel doesnt deserve to be anywhere near the team, in his chances hes looked ineffective and disinterested, the opposite of Graham, he doesnt deserve a run of games.

Did neither but lets move on

Best is useful? Really? Good at scoring own goals. 

Samuel is dropped due to Graham form and scoring goals. Fair play to Graham.

Samuel looked disinterested and ineffective on Saturday? Still worked on despited poor service and lack of support. 

49 minutes ago, Miker said:

Where is this poor attitude assertion about Samuel coming from? He was excellent for us earlier in the season and simply hasn't been given much game time for most of this year due to Graham's form.

He's worked hard when he's come on and gotten into good goalscoring positions, but has been missing too many lately. I can't believe people are already writing him off and wanting to get shut. 

Exactly. 

39 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

https://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/sport-opinion/curious-case-dominic-samuel-never-13362740

Managers have come and gone since McDermott, but none really took to Samuel.

Nigel Adkins was critical of the player's attitude, as was current boss Jaap Stam. Samuel never a key part in Steve Clarke's plans when he was manager.

This is where I found that hes been accused of having a poor attitude in the past.

I don't agree at all that hes worked hard when hes been on the pitch, hes looked at times disinterested.

But Mowbray did take to him and why he signed him. 

Does he have a poor attitude now? Not bothered about past but now and future. For me, he got talent but low on confidence due lack of game time and scoring goals which is understand tbh. 

He's never going to be a prolific goal scorer I'm afraid. He lacks that sharpness in front of goal that the likes of Grahamn Armstrong and Antonnson have.  If he doesn't waken up and start putting himself about he's going to find himself loaned out at the sort of lower rung  clubs mentioned in that article next season.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Samuel looked disinterested and ineffective on Saturday? Still worked on despited poor service and lack of support. 

Exactly. 

Does he have a poor attitude now? Not bothered about past but now and future. For me, he got talent but low on confidence due lack of game time and scoring goals which is understand tbh. 

I never said Best is useful, again you are taking peoples comments out of context. He has a bit of power and pace but my point was that hes never taken full advantage of these attributes because of whats between his ears.

Another person weve debated is Elliott Bennett who admittedly from a different position also isnt scoring in the moment. That said, his attitude is what you want to see from a player, even if hes not scoring goals. Samuel on the other hand is like chalk and cheese. The attitude questions that have been raised ring further alarm bells when you discover that managers in the past have had the same problem.

You keep saying Mowbray has taken to him, but he had the shirt to keep earlier in the season and now hes 3rd choice, behind Graham and Armstrong who he signed since he got Samuel.

17 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Exactly. 

Low on confidence is a defeatists sign to not being good enough or capable enough boy have we attracted some crap forwards over the years. Nuttalls seems another.

24 minutes ago, JAL said:

Low on confidence is a defeatists sign to not being good enough or capable enough boy have we attracted some crap forwards over the years. Nuttalls seems another.

JAL, we're in the third tier. With your 'experience' and Nuttall's 'raw ability', what would you do to make him a 'good 'un'?

You need to get over yourself, be grateful for what Jack did for us and get bloody real. We are where we are but I'm enjoying being a Rover again. What would it realistically take for you to feel likewise?

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

I never said Best is useful, again you are taking peoples comments out of context. He has a bit of power and pace but my point was that hes never taken full advantage of these attributes because of whats between his ears.

Another person weve debated is Elliott Bennett who admittedly from a different position also isnt scoring in the moment. That said, his attitude is what you want to see from a player, even if hes not scoring goals. Samuel on the other hand is like chalk and cheese. The attitude questions that have been raised ring further alarm bells when you discover that managers in the past have had the same problem.

You keep saying Mowbray has taken to him, but he had the shirt to keep earlier in the season and now hes 3rd choice, behind Graham and Armstrong who he signed since he got Samuel.

you wrote @roversfan99, the quote was "the point was they both have attributes that are useful"

I am not interested in Samuel's previous managers views at all, I only interested in Mowbray opinion of him, look at players like Di Canio or Cantona and how Ferguson and Redknapp got the best out of them despite previous managers negative views on that. 

Mowbray signed him here despite what the previous managers thoughts are. 

The form of Graham and currently Armstrong have kept him out of the starting lineup but he will be need before end of the season. 

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

you wrote @roversfan99, the quote was "the point was they both have attributes that are useful"

I am not interested in Samuel's previous managers views at all, I only interested in Mowbray opinion of him, look at players like Di Canio or Cantona and how Ferguson and Redknapp got the best out of them despite previous managers negative views on that. 

Mowbray signed him here despite what the previous managers thoughts are. 

The form of Graham and currently Armstrong have kept him out of the starting lineup but he will be need before end of the season. 

I said that he has assets(pace and power) that are useful if applied correctly, I dont think Leon Best is useful because of his brain meaning that anything he does have going for him is rendered meaningless due to a lack of work rate and work ethic. If you think I am implying that Leon Best as a player is useful then you dont understand my point.

The only reason I even found that article is because im not the only one to question his work rate here, so the fact its a running theme makes it even more of a concern.

The 2 players you mentioned were geniuses, they had shown their ability in the past, it was just their temperament that needed keeping in check, the ability was never in question, sadly with Samuel even that is in doubt.

My point in regards to Mowbrays view, is that hes clearly not 100% convinced hence him falling down the pecking order. 

Edited by roversfan99

1 hour ago, darrenrover said:

JAL, we're in the third tier. With your 'experience' and Nuttall's 'raw ability', what would you do to make him a 'good 'un'?

You need to get over yourself, be grateful for what Jack did for us and get bloody real. We are where we are but I'm enjoying being a Rover again. What would it realistically take for you to feel likewise?

We want out of the third tier isn't that the goal and goals are what we need to achieve this, I'm not in the graft like mad camp to create easy chances for my lazy forwards but that the forwards must work hard be creative and capable of creating chances for themselves and their team mates whilt defending from the front.  These two Samuel and Nuttall have to rely heavily on others we need more we need to demand more as these two show wanting.

Dack and Graham are doing it on the pitch with to a lesser degree Armstrong and Antonnson. No excuses for Samuel and Nuttall the focus must go on the manager and what hes playing at. 

We need eleven game winners on the pitch not game throwers. 

58 minutes ago, JAL said:

We want out of the third tier isn't that the goal and goals are what we need to achieve this, I'm not in the graft like mad camp to create easy chances for my lazy forwards but that the forwards must work hard be creative and capable of creating chances for themselves and their team mates whilt defending from the front.  These two Samuel and Nuttall have to rely heavily on others we need more we need to demand more as these two show wanting.

Dack and Graham are doing it on the pitch with to a lesser degree Armstrong and Antonnson. No excuses for Samuel and Nuttall the focus must go on the manager and what hes playing at. 

I take that as a you don't know then?

You're a 'Rover' JAL, things are far from perfect, stop beating yourself up and just try to enjoy being a Rover again.

1 hour ago, JAL said:

It's hard to disagree with alot of that. I don't think it's only down to the manager though. The majority of the responsibility has to lie with the player once the manager puts them on the pitch. All good strikers should be able to defend from the front and create something for theirselves or team mates. We can't afford passengers 

3 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

I said that he has assets(pace and power) that are useful if applied correctly, I dont think Leon Best is useful because of his brain meaning that anything he does have going for him is rendered meaningless due to a lack of work rate and work ethic. If you think I am implying that Leon Best as a player is useful then you dont understand my point.

The only reason I even found that article is because im not the only one to question his work rate here, so the fact its a running theme makes it even more of a concern.

The 2 players you mentioned were geniuses, they had shown their ability in the past, it was just their temperament that needed keeping in check, the ability was never in question, sadly with Samuel even that is in doubt.

My point in regards to Mowbrays view, is that hes clearly not 100% convinced hence him falling down the pecking order. 

How is Mowbray not convince then? He picked a team on performances and rightly Dack, Graham and Armstrong ahead based on form,. 

Has Mowbray question his work rate or Attitude?

26 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

How is Mowbray not convince then? He picked a team on performances and rightly Dack, Graham and Armstrong ahead based on form,. 

Has Mowbray question his work rate or Attitude?

If he was convinced then hed be in the team. Self explanatory. Graham was out of form but managed to break back in, Armstrong has since been signed, and both are doing what Samuel has been unable to, and now barely plays.

I have made the judgement myself (shared by others) that his body language and work ethic is not that of a player desperate to earn his place back, hence me questioning his attitude.

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

If he was convinced then hed be in the team. Self explanatory. Graham was out of form but managed to break back in, Armstrong has since been signed, and both are doing what Samuel has been unable to, and now barely plays.

I have made the judgement myself (shared by others) that his body language and work ethic is not that of a player desperate to earn his place back, hence me questioning his attitude.

Has Mowbray question Samuel about work rate or attitude or performances in the past 4 months?

7 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Has Mowbray question Samuel about work rate or attitude or performances in the past 4 months?

He never questioned Danny Grahams attitude or performances but you were highly critical of him saying pretty much the same things people are saying about Samuel. Mowbray very rarely criticises players publicly and that's how it should be.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, arbitro said:

He never questioned Danny Grahams attitude or performances but you were highly critical of him saying pretty much the same things people are saying about Samuel. Mowbray very rarely criticises players publicly and that's how it should be.

Now you're snookered Chaddy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, arbitro said:

If I remember correctly I was unhappy with Graham performances and work rate from an experience player. But I didnt compare him Best tho did I

Edited by chaddyrovers

22 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

If I remember correctly I was unhappy with Graham performances and work rate from an experience player. But I didnt compare him Best tho did I

But you criticised him for the same things people are critical of Samuel for. Double standards?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

It wasnt a direct comparison, stop taking it out of context. Just was saying that any positive physical attributes will always be counteracted by a poor work ethic, i dont feel when i watch him that hes working hard enough.

If he rated Samuel and had no doubts about him surely hed feature more than the occasional sub appearance.

Samuel has never proved in his career that he is a capable goalscorer (unlike Graham), we paid for promise and youth that as of yet hasnt looked likely to materialise into anything more.

• Backroom
3 hours ago, arbitro said:

Mowbray very rarely criticises players publicly and that's how it should be.

Yeah, you very rarely hear decent managers criticising their own players in the media. Usually it's a sign of desperation when things have already gone south and have little hope of turning around.