BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] .

12 hours ago, matt83 said:

I know I would be a truly terrible teacher. Wouldn’t even be not being able to enforce the sort of discipline I’d have in mind. Or the fact I’d clump one before lunch break.

It’d be stuff like dealing with parents day and the delusions of some parents. There seems to be a ready made excuse for everything now. No, your kid doesn’t have dyslexia he’s just thick. Bring back the thickos table. No, unless diagnosed by a doctor your kid doesn’t have adhd nor are they “on the scale” they’re just a poorly brought up little shit. Thank you come again, see you next term.

If I could give a thousand likes to this post I would ?

On ‎01‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 12:10, matt83 said:

I know I would be a truly terrible teacher. Wouldn’t even be not being able to enforce the sort of discipline I’d have in mind. Or the fact I’d clump one before lunch break.

It’d be stuff like dealing with parents day and the delusions of some parents. There seems to be a ready made excuse for everything now. No, your kid doesn’t have dyslexia he’s just thick. Bring back the thickos table. No, unless diagnosed by a doctor your kid doesn’t have adhd nor are they “on the scale” they’re just a poorly brought up little shit. Thank you come again, see you next term.

Brilliant post and absolutely right. Why teachers can't clout the horrible little creatures to make them do I have no idea. The nanny state needs a complete overhaul. A strap on the hand kept me in line and did me no harm at all.

• Backroom
2 hours ago, Al said:

Brilliant post and absolutely right. Why teachers can't clout the horrible little creatures to make them do I have no idea. The nanny state needs a complete overhaul. A strap on the hand kept me in line and did me no harm at all.

Some would argue that thinking it's ok to hit a kid means it did do you harm ;)

Personally, I ended up leaving teaching after only 2 years precisely because I was sick of the disrespect from children and parents alike. Completely agree with matt83's post. So many parents who have excuses for their child and blame the teacher. I was even accused of lying by a parent, but my head wasn't remotely supportive.

Hell, I even had one or two other teachers (thankfully no longer in work, the turds) question my teaching based on my deafness, rather than the obvious progress made by children in my classes.

Teaching is rapidly getting harder and even the teachers themselves are losing respect for their profession because those bastards in successive governments refuse to help.

I so agree with the posts above. Bringing up kids and educating them is (and always was) a team effort between a school and parents. I really sympathise with teachers these days to a degree, how can they educate and impose discipline if that isn't endorsed at home? As an aside and the question may hurt, why are the muslim faith schools in Blackburn doing so well in educating their kids?

It makes you wonder how so many so called third world countries manage to educate their kids better than we do. Perhaps parenting should be part of the school syllabus in UK?

It's all well and good blaming respective governments. I'd love to know where the 'blame somebody else' mentality came from rather than accept responsibility and deal with it.

• Backroom
6 hours ago, darrenrover said:

I so agree with the posts above. Bringing up kids and educating them is (and always was) a team effort between a school and parents. I really sympathise with teachers these days to a degree, how can they educate and impose discipline if that isn't endorsed at home? As an aside and the question may hurt, why are the muslim faith schools in Blackburn doing so well in educating their kids?

It makes you wonder how so many so called third world countries manage to educate their kids better than we do. Perhaps parenting should be part of the school syllabus in UK?

It's all well and good blaming respective governments. I'd love to know where the 'blame somebody else' mentality came from rather than accept responsibility and deal with it.

I should've been clearer, I blame Governments' treatment of social and health care for the state of education. Generally, a happy and healthy child will flourish regardless of background imo.

BUT there seems to be a generation of parents who hated school and, because of the financial difficulties for people my age since around 2007 (compounded by the 2008 crash), perceived lack of opportunity for long-term work. These parents dislike authority, and others in general, and pass their attitude on to their children.

This is why public service workers are being physically attacked every week and why hate crime of all sorts has risen. The media also has a part to play in not smearing politicians on both sides for little reason.

It's all a fricking mess...

On ‎02‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 17:08, Mike E said:

Some would argue that thinking it's ok to hit a kid means it did do you harm ;)

THEN SOME WOULD BE WRONG..

• Backroom

I reckon the 4x4 owners who kept the country going those couple of days should be rewarded with a reduction to the additional taxes being imposed on them.

11 minutes ago, MCMC1875 said:

Back on topic. Last week some staff at Blackburn Hospital who were willing to work but struggling to get there were picked up and taken home by a 4x4 laid on by the hospital which brought in staff from the Barnoldswick, Nelson and Burnley areas. I thought this a great idea. Could this be adopted by schools?

You could possibly get more staff into school doing that but what about the kids. Who's going to bring them in safely ?

On 01/03/2018 at 12:10, matt83 said:

Dyslexia isn't the same as being disruptive. James Whale (radio) has dyslexia and was treated as thick by some teachers for having reading/writing difficulties. They did however note his voice could be used to his advantage! I don't know how they couldn't spot his obvious intelligence regardless of other issues.

Any good teachers I had didn't need canes/straps to keep control of their classroom. I was rarely disruptive myself (could see the logic in school) and didn't have any writing/reading issues so they didn't get any nightmares from me hence good reports, etc. Granted I did walk out (of primary school first time I was 6 or 7) and go home a couple of times as I've always had my breaking point for any injustice, etc. Following any initial reaction on those occasions (whether it was telling me off or sympathetic approach) it was never brought up again. It was 3 times actually not 2. Got along fine with the teachers in question generally.

If they had caned me unjustifiably (back when it was legal obviously) I definitely would have walked out. There's a line between caning a kid who rarely does anything wrong or gets blamed for something they didn't do. You can't cane a kid for having reading/writing difficulties that's sick. Some of them might lack effort but others don't. You can't always distinguish between the 2.

I do think schools are increasingly soft even compared to when I was there. The primary school near me (which is the one I attended actually) for instance looks far more secure with gates, etc and I get the impression there's more "liberal" teachings and PC nonsense. Granted they started securing schools more after what happened in 1996. Intercom at the front entrance and doors that opened from the inside, etc. I was 9 and understood what had happened with the obvious link between that and those security changes. Maybe they told us the exact reason but I was intelligent enough to make the connection regardless. Knew even then that someone coming in with a gun was hardly likely. It still wasn't as "secure" as it looks now and any lunatic could have got onto the playground at ease. They still could.

9 hours ago, Vinjay17 said:

If they had caned me unjustifiably (back when it was legal obviously) I definitely would have walked out. 

Up at SMC circa 1970 the whole Tech Drawing class got the cane at the end of one lesson because of one pi11ock who threw a satchel out of the upper floor window. No one would grass on him so, when the bell went, we all had to bend over in the doorway and take a severe lash. The teacher, the sadistic bar steward had a name for his cane which he kept in a cabinet on the wall. Now, most of the lads had had the strap, board duster, pump etc. but I can tell you that cane hurt like hell. No one complained, no one told their parents or told the headmaster. You just shrugged your shoulders and got on with it. All a part of discipline and growing up. 

10 hours ago, Claytons Left Boot said:

Up at SMC circa 1970 the whole Tech Drawing class got the cane at the end of one lesson because of one pi11ock who threw a satchel out of the upper floor window. No one would grass on him so, when the bell went, we all had to bend over in the doorway and take a severe lash. The teacher, the sadistic bar steward had a name for his cane which he kept in a cabinet on the wall. Now, most of the lads had had the strap, board duster, pump etc. but I can tell you that cane hurt like hell. No one complained, no one told their parents or told the headmaster. You just shrugged your shoulders and got on with it. All a part of discipline and growing up. 

Well bully for you but if there's one thing I've never been able to tolerate its total injustice. Not saying I would have grassed but damn sure not accepting blame without proof. Not saying discipline isn't right and I don't want to sound like a sanctimonious liberal but there's a balance. People didn't understand dyslexia for instance at one time but even so how could any teacher have thought likes of James Whale were thick? As for the "thickos" table/corner, etc that's abuse. As for issues like ADHD, etc if medical professionals acknowledge it then there must be some truth. I guess it needs teachers who can define between that and a child who's just plain disruptive and needs strong discipline. 

Remember a story about Jack Walker when a teacher refused to let the kids pack up one day. None of the others would say a word but eventually Jack had the "temerity" to ask "can we put our books in our bags now?" 

Archived