BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers v Wigan

1 hour ago, RoverCanada said:

Obviously a very frustrating result, but I'm just trying to take comfort that I would've been satisfied with a point before the game.

Nyambe was pretty awful. Hope this is just a hiccup given he was playing great not too long ago. Williams and Smallwood (how many more games until he can get a yellow again without getting suspended? Seems to have taken the bite out of his game) were quite poor too. Thought Lenihan and Dack were our standouts, and Graham, Bennett, Evans (happy to see him have a couple decent games now as we need him to step up in MF after a generally poor year so far), and Armstrong were solid.

If I were to grade it... Raya 6, Nyambe 4, Lenihan 8, Mulgrew 6, Williams 5, Bennett 7, Smallwood 5, Evans 7,  Dack 8, Armstrong 7, Graham 7. Can't say I noticed the subs much... Mowbray probably left them a bit too late. Would've put Bell on for Williams anyway.

I thought Nyambe had a stinker today compared to the rest of his performances. he seemed very slow , out of position quite a lot  and was dreaming in the second half. This is where in my opinion Tony Mowbrey fails, he seems intent on making substitution dependant on how long is left rather than who is not playing well. Nyambe should have been off at half time, as was proved later, most of the dangers came from our right back position. Anyway onwards to Blackpool and I hope Nyambe makes me eat my words. 

• Replies 827
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, rigger said:

I thought Nyambe had a stinker today compared to the rest of his performances. he seemed very slow , out of position quite a lot  and was dreaming in the second half. This is where in my opinion Tony Mowbrey fails, he seems intent on making substitution dependant on how long is left rather than who is not playing well. Nyambe should have been off at half time, as was proved later, most of the dangers came from our right back position. Anyway onwards to Blackpool and I hope Nyambe makes me eat my words. 

Nyambe off at half time?? Nonsense 

Just now, tomphil said:

There was always going to be these type of problems in blooding a rookie keeper but set pieces need an understanding between the defence, it's leader and the keeper. Every time we have to defend one our players are too busy looking at and moaning at the ref it happens all the time not just today.

Until we have the right types in there it will continue to be a weakness.

True 

I did say after the Wimbledon game that I wouldn't be too disappointed with a draw today. However that doesn't dispel the immense disappointment I feel at not winning the game along with all the other permutations that would have come with a 3 point haul today.

As it is it isn't the worst draw in the world, I felt much worse about the Oldham draw after a fightback than today after surrendering a 2-0 lead. 

In the end we've just seen more or less the same sort of stuff we've seen all season. We rarely keep clean sheets, struggle when balls come into our box, seem to take out foot off the gas when leading in games and have had another game with 30 minutes of very impressive stuff and then a second half nowhere near the same standard.

Ultimately it is back out of our hands but this was in theory the most difficult game remaining. If we bounce back with 3 points against Blackpool we'll be back on track. The worry is whether we'll get another performance like the first half today or whether it will be back down to earth stuff like we've had at Ewood so often.

I hope we aren't going to be victims of an unusually high points target for the 2nd season running. We're still going at more than 2 points a game and if we maintain that will hit 93 points+, yet that might not even be enough to get 2nd the way things are going, as we would need Shrewsbury to drop significantly. Bolton and Burton won promotion with 83 and 85 points in the last 2 seasons, and we ought to walk to that target from here, yet that won't be enough.

3 hours ago, AAK said:

Been saying this for ages, hes an awful player, we were all tricked, becuase he was an improvement on Lowe. 

Not great player at all but an improvement on Lowe. The suspension hanging over him has without doubt made him look worse than he is.

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Why nonsense? He was having a poor game, when the team where in control. Surely you have to think what would he be playing like if we where under pressure. His defensive play in the second half emphasises the point. 

Just now, LDRover said:

Word is out on our weakness in the fullback areas. Wigan knocked diagonals all game and got up the pitch easily through naive fouls or just poor positioning.

Yep. They were definitely targeting Williams first half and I thought he had a stinker but then again I think he has almost every game recently.

Didn't think Nyambe  did too badly tbh but as a whole we conceded too many needless free kicks in danger areas.

25 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

well that's you isn't it. 

Wigan can lose 2 of their games and still go above us going into the last 10. So yes I'd sooner be in their position and theories/predictions about fixture pile ups and everything else won't change that. 

They can reach 109 points and we can only reach 103. Maybe that will change, maybe it won't, but right here right now they're better placed than we are.

If we were 2 or 3 above them and they had 1 in hand I'd perhaps agree our position was as good/better by having the points already secured.

5 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I didn't think he was much different to normal to be fair and he was getting stuck in with the physical stuff but giving away naive fouls but they all were, both sides.

To me after ten mins of the second half the natural sub was Evans off because of the yellow, Payne on and Bennett to add some fire to the middle again, he's done similar before i'm at a loss as to why not today. Sometimes it's almost as if the subs are pre mapped out to be made whatever is happening.

Have to say though that wasn't the sole reason we drew but I think it might have helped us get that 3rd goal.

Fair result, perhaps a good result but frustrating to have seemingly wrapped up the points.

We edged it, but that should be a given as the home team. Raya (again) let the points slip.  Very poor.

They deserve to be champions with only the Cup backlog holding them back.

1 hour ago, arbitro said:

The proverbial game of two halves but in all honesty at half time how many Rovers fans had complete confidence that we wouldn't concede at least one goal. Vaughan was a good change for them and they looked a different proposition with him in. His pace and aggression certainly unnerved Rovers.

A real source of frustration and anger today was the number of soft and silly free kicks we gave away in wider positions. Why on earth our players gave the referee an opportunity to penalise us by touching the Wigan player baffles me. They weren't going anywhere, in fact on a couple they were facing the touchline. The delivery of Power made them a real threat and with the error prone Raya they always had a change. He was shocking for their second goal. It came through at waist height, no pace and with nobody near him he wafted an arm at it instead of moving his feet to get behind the ball. Truly awful goalkeeping. We had some decent performers today but the sedate Evans and Smallwood we pretty much second best for most of the game. Williams was poor in the first half and marginally improved after the break and Nyambe is far better in the opponents half than in his own at times. Lenihan did well but his battle with Powell got too personal and he could yet receive a retrospective ban for his ' Hanley' moment on Powell. 

I don't honestly understand Mowbray playing Evans and Smallwood when Bennett has been our best player in central midfield since the turn of the year. Dack, Armstrong and Graham were decent.

Overall it was a flat home support walking out in the knowledge that we definitely threw points away today with a no show in the second half.

Bang on Tony. Bennett for all his short falls, gives us energy to hurry the opposition into mistakes and as for the free kicks we gave away in silly areas, is something that should be nailed in training.

just watched the second goal... Raya firmly at fault, for me. 

Bottled it. 

Add to that the withering manager not reacting to the Wigan subs (why??) 

we @#/? it up. 

(story of our season) 

Ref was just the usual inconsistent idiot. In the first half he let a lot of physical stuff go. In the second half he was blowing for everything. Wigan just wished up to this and used it to their advantage. Lenihan had a storming first half but in the second seemed to start giving away a few silly free kicks. The free kick for the equaliser looked incredibly soft on the ground, and for the free kick against Nyambe at the end I thought he was going to book the Wigan player for diving. However it's never a penalty for Rovers in the second half.

Overall incredibly disappointing to drop points. Again it is our failure to be able to clear high balls into the box (although the equaliser is a peach of a delivery).As others have said, I don't think our subs influenced the game at all. 

Still, we've garnered 13 points from 15. I'd happily take the same again.

4 hours ago, USABlue said:

Missed the while first half, wake up to happy news, start watching boom Wigan score.  Sloppy goal again.  Buggar game in, let's have another ir it's going to be a Looooooong half hour or so.  

it's all your fault for waking up

(In reply to chaddy and JH Rover)

Had we won today I would have said that Wigan would have been struggling to overhaul us. As it stands they're in a far better position than us and barring an unexpected collapse by them I'd say we're going to be playing for second place.

If it happens I don't think we should be bleating about being victims of an unusually high points target again though. Last season we had our chance to get out of it, went super negative and endured a run of seven games without a win, only going for it when it was too late.

Today we had a chance to keep matters in our own hands and blew a two goal lead at home by failing to turn up in the second half. There's no -one to blame but ourselves if we don't go up automatically even in the unlikely event both us and Shrews won all our remaining games. In reality Shrews probably won't win all their remaining games but then again we won't either. We are however now reduced to hoping other teams slip up as opposed to it being in our own hands.

Frustrated with the result but the more I assess it the better I feel. I think the squad are 100% focused on getting promoted. I feel that they will get the job done whether it be as champions or 2nd. Proud of the team today and looking forward now to Saturday. We have to tear into Blackpool as they beat Wigan away not too long ago. ?

Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

(In reply to chaddy and JH Rover)

Had we won today I would have said that Wigan would have been struggling to overhaul us. As it stands they're in a far better position than us and barring an unexpected collapse by them I'd say we're going to be playing for second place.

If it happens I don't think we should be bleating about being victims of an unusually high points target again though. Last season we had our chance to get out of it, went super negative and endured a run of seven games without a win, only going for it when it was too late.

Today we had a chance to keep matters in our own hands and blew a two goal lead at home by failing to turn up in the second half. There's no -one to blame but ourselves if we don't go up automatically even in the unlikely event both us and Shrews won all our remaining games. In reality Shrews probably won't win all their remaining games but then again we won't either. We are however now reduced to hoping other teams slip up as opposed to it being in our own hands.

Wigan have only 1 win in their last 4 so they are not goin too well and lots of games to come for them. I agree a win today would have put us in a stronger position but was not to be. Lots of twists and turns left. 

• Backroom

I thought Nyambe played well today, surprised to see him singled out for criticism.

Not too concerned about Wigan as I see them as being up, the other is between us and Shrewsbury, for now they have an opportunity to overtake us but need maximum points from their two games in hand.

We both have games next week you would expect to win, Blackpool for us and Walsall for them but you never know at this point.

For me wins like the ones on Tuesday and other bread and butter games are the kind that get you promoted, winning games like today are what makes a champion!

Just now, tomphil said:

It was crying out for some changes early second half I was surprised the 60/65 min mark didn't see some.

Agreed. Graham was struggling to hold it up against 2 big lump centre halves. WIgan played a high line and we struggled to get out.

I'd have put Armstrong upfront against them 2 centre halves and forced them deeper

That said on another day we win that. Couple of key chances missed at 2-0 and I thought we were unfortunate with both their goals.

Evans really should have done better with his chance, he had a long way to see that coming, didn't need to put any pace on it and he fluffed it. He scores that and its game over.

First of all you shouldn't be losing 2 goal leads at home to your rivals, that's disappointing.

But.....what a tremendous occasion, 16k fans on, atmosphere like we've not heard in a while and 2 teams going at it hammer and tongue. 

Both managers deserve credit for me, Mowbray won the first half and the dingle Cookes 2nd half subs, especially Vaughan won the second. 

I don't think I'd quite appreciated just how good Lenihan is, his no nonsense approach in the first half drove the team on, we had players running the length of the pitch to get back and defend, a desire and drive we've not seen in years, the whole side fed off him.

Credit to Wigan though, best side I've seen in this league by a country mile, but we more than matched them and should see the season out with promotion.

Today once again showed that those rats in Pune will never be bigger than the club.

Onwards and upwards. 

Just now, FGS5635 said:

Agreed. Graham was struggling to hold it up against 2 big lump centre halves. WIgan played a high line and we struggled to get out.

I'd have put Armstrong upfront against them 2 centre halves and forced them deeper

That said on another day we win that. Couple of key chances missed at 2-0 and I thought we were unfortunate with both their goals.

Evans really should have done better with his chance, he had a long way to see that coming, didn't need to put any pace on it and he fluffed it. He scores that and its game over.

Evans had  more or less a similar shooting chance to their 1st goal. Their guy hit the target. Having said that when did Evans last look like a goalscorer ?  I wouldn't be too hard on Raya for the second goal, good ball in and our defenders failed to attack the ball.  Once it got through to Raya he'd no chance.

Archived