BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers v Wigan

Excellent result tonight. Bring on Wigan. We are on a roll. Fancy us this Sunday. My team would be -

Raya

Nyambe     Lenighan       Mulgrew       Williams

Smallwood   Bennett

Armstrong        Dack          Payne

Graham

• Replies 827
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Tom said:

Glad Smallwood navigated tonight without a yellow card, would have been a big loss

Go with the team that started tonight 

Yep wont be overly bothered if he got one at Wigan now and got it out the way for the run in.

I reckon a lot depends what Shrewsbury do. If they win on Saturday a draw effectively puts us back into 3rd but if they fail to win a draw wouldn’t be horrendous as Shrewsbury would stay behind us regardless of their game in hand.

Also a draw pretty much means we’re only playing for second. I’d defo set out to win let Wigan worry about what we bring rather than trying to nullify what Wigan bring. 

9 minutes ago, matt83 said:

Also a draw pretty much means we’re only playing for second.

Does it? Lots of games to play yet and Wigan will be playing once every 3 or 4 days by the end of March until the end of the season. If they hit a bad spell it can take in a lot of games.

Any of the top 3 could crash and burn once the pressure cranks up. Rotherham could still go up automatically.

We just have to hold our nerve.

I watched Wigan play in the City cup tie. You couldn't help but be impressed, especially with the way they defended. If they play anything like as well as that against us we'll have our hands full. Let's hope they don't.

I think we can keep them relatively quiet up front, especially now Lenihan is back and playing well. The issue is can we score one goal more than they do ?

If you offered me a draw now I'd take it. Keeps us 6 clear of Wigan but as already mentioned they have games stacked up and will be playing twice a week from now till season end. If they win next Cup game add another to the mix and the minds also turn to Wembley. All that can affect the players and it will be tough to keep on winning which they need to do 

Just got to go for the win. Anything less than a win potentially takes automatic promotion out of our hands again remember.

Yes Wigan played a blinder against City but so did Rochdale against Spurs. Those are one-off games,

Sunday is bread and butter league football albeit probably the game of the season in League 1. Wigan will come into it rested whereas we come into it on a nice little run of wins including leaping the potential banana skin of Wimbledon away. Both sides will be feeling really confident.

My only fear given the way Mowbray has over compensated for far lesser opposition is that we will get scared by the boss's tactics and pre-match talk instead of going for their weaknesses and treating it the same way as we did the Shrewsbury fixture.

2 hours ago, matt83 said:

It’s a big if, but if we beat Wigan we will go 9 points clear of them. Even with their 4 games in hand that’s a tough ask for them to keep churning out wins Saturday, Tuesday, Saturday, Tuesday...

Well its what we are doing now!

Just now, philipl said:

Just got to go for the win. Anything less than a win potentially takes automatic promotion out of our hands again remember.

Yes Wigan played a blinder against City but so did Rochdale against Spurs. Those are one-off games,

Sunday is bread and butter league football albeit probably the game of the season in League 1. Wigan will come into it rested whereas we come into it on a nice little run of wins including leaping the potential banana skin of Wimbledon away. Both sides will be feeling really confident.

My only fear given the way Mowbray has over compensated for far lesser opposition is that we will get scared by the boss's tactics and pre-match talk instead of going for their weaknesses and treating it the same way as we did the Shrewsbury fixture.

What's bothering me Phil is we can't seem to play well for more than a half at a time. Give Wigan a half to settle in and we'll struggle.

1 hour ago, blueboy3333 said:

Does it? Lots of games to play yet and Wigan will be playing once every 3 or 4 days by the end of March until the end of the season. If they hit a bad spell it can take in a lot of games.

Any of the top 3 could crash and burn once the pressure cranks up. Rotherham could still go up automatically.

We just have to hold our nerve.

It's Plymouth that we have to be aware of.

Archived