BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers v Wigan

• Replies 827
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Tom said:

I wouldn't be so sure; it's unlikely to be off but there's a chance.

Cherry tree and the roads are bad today even the main roads are barely fit to travel on 

My street resembles Narnia. It's a cul-de-sac on the side of a hill and only 4 x 4's can attempt to get up it. I had a taxi to get to the hospital and had to walk to the bottom as it couldn't get up. The main road isn't bad though.

• Moderation Lead
Just now, Al said:

My street resembles Narnia. It's a cul-de-sac on the side of a hill and only 4 x 4's can attempt to get up it. I had a taxi to get to the hospital and had to walk to the bottom as it couldn't get up. The main road isn't bad though.

Bash life!

I live across the road from the Village Club and I drove as far as The Alma before abandoning my car and walking to work in Clayton this morning. The roads were hellish this morning!

2 hours ago, DeeCee said:

Neither will I, I'm driving up 350 miles tomorrow :huh:

Where are you coming from DeeCee?  I am near Exeter and weather here is awful.  Roads, including main A38 and airport is closed.

If you drive up be careful.

On 28/02/2018 at 00:57, JacknOry said:

Yep wont be overly bothered if he got one at Wigan now and got it out the way for the run in.

Re Smallwood's yellow cards, as long as he doesn't pick up two during the game, eh?

I hope we play like we did against the Shrews.  COYB

Wigan have 5 games in 14 days during April with 1 fixture still to be arranged , I wouldn't be too upset if Rovers played dirty and forgot to turn on the under soil heating ?

Our squad is fully fit, no suspensions and we are flying with 4 straight wins. The timing of this game couldn't be better.

We have no excuses.

As a rovers fan living in Wigan these days, this game is even bigger for me. Lets have em COYB!!

19 minutes ago, FGS5635 said:

Our squad is fully fit, no suspensions and we are flying with 4 straight wins. The timing of this game couldn't be better.

We have no excuses.

As a rovers fan living in Wigan these days, this game is even bigger for me. Lets have em COYB!!

From Wigan myself, definitely made the bad run at their place all the more galling after spending half my childhood expecting to be at least 2 divisions above them! (come to think of it, are we still on that bad run?).

Might be different now, but in my experience Latics fans are even more chippy than your average PNE fan when it comes to resenting locals supporting different clubs. Can't blame them I suppose, as if it wasn't bad enough being 20 minutes drive away from Manchester & Liverpool, there were still as many Rovers/Bolton fans at my school than there were Latics fans. All this before the Rugby team being the bigger draw too, not surprising they've got a tendency to be a little bitter!

Anyway, I digress. Back to the match, I expect them to be one of the few teams to really have a go at us, which should suit us to a tee. I think we're stronger across the park, 3-1 Rovers.

5 hours ago, 4000Holes said:

Where are you coming from DeeCee?  I am near Exeter and weather here is awful.  Roads, including main A38 and airport is closed.

I was in Okehampton last night working today, left Exeter at 1400pm just got back to Darwen, outside lane unusable until after Stoke !!

9 hours ago, DeeCee said:

Neither will I, I'm driving up 350 miles tomorrow :huh:

6 hours ago, 4000Holes said:

6 hours ago, tonygreenbank said:

I was driving up tomorrow from Looe but conditions will be awful on the drive north. 

I’m coming up Saturday morning now.

Can you chaps not share a lift, a bit of a West Country Blues outing or something? My brother lives near Barnstaple I could try and rope him in for you as well ?

• Backroom

Cleared a lot this morning but currently snow scheduled for Sunday, expect it should be on if we are over the worst of it but it's been changing quickly 

This fixture has loomed large for months.  Be under no illustration the pressure on both sides is significant.  A win for either will dent the other not only in terms of simple mathematics but confidence.  For me you go and win it. We win and it sends a statement. Wigan win and their confidence sores and they have a points buffer.  Same team again please and a positive approach.  We aren't definitely up if we win but it makes it easier. 

Tony Mowbray has been speaking in his press conference...

“The treatment room is looking pretty empty, which is good at this time of the season," he says. "Whittingham and Gladwin are back training, but there’s no need to rush them." #Rovers

More from the manager: “@HarryChapman101 is good, he’s just about ready to start training and we hope he’ll be back here full-time within the next week to 10 days. Just to have him around the place is good, he’s a chirpy lad and the other players love him." #Rovers

On #Rovers v Wigan, Tony says: “We’re aware that it's a big one and I’m sure the fans are too - my message is that we should enjoy it. We’ve won four on the bounce and should go into it with a lot of confidence; we’re just looking at Sunday as the next opportunity for points."

The pressure is actually on us for this one. We're the home side and we're actually under more pressure to win this game. The reason for that is if we don't win then automatic promotion could be out of our hands again if Shrewsbury win, whereas whatever happens Wigan retain their destiny in their own hands.

A draw wouldn't be a bad result for Rovers IMO, but the onus really needs to be on us to go and win it.

Wigan meanwhile will see this as their biggest hurdle. Avoid defeat and they still have a cushion over us and Shrewsbury. Undoubtedly their toughest game remaining and I expect they'll be more than happy with a point from it.

• Backroom

Forget games in hand - win and go 7 points clear at the top of the league now the Shrews game has been called off!

Archived