BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers v Wigan

• Replies 827
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm really looking forward to tomorrow's game, I feel we will be positive from the off, knock the stuffing out of Wigan and win comfortably.

I don't really care about any of Wigan's players being fit or not, it's all about The Rovers and 3 points.

It's a shame it's on Sky and that there's still a debate from some about whether their principles would allow them to go or not. A bumper 20,000 plus, vociferous crowd would have been expected and that would have been an enormous encouragement to the players on the pitch.

Anyway,

Let's be positive from the off and stuff the 'pie eaters'. COYB!!!!

Really looking forward to the game, taking my Dad who is 83 years old and it is  his first game for 20 odd years (last game 2.0 win over Man City Boxing day, coldest I have been on Ewood and Batty scored a world !!

Hope for a good performance and a win.

COYB

1 minute ago, Stuart said:

Really hoping Mowbray doesn’t play for a 0-0 or 1-0. The team tomorrow with be a sign of intent either way.

Me too Stuart, we can't play that way, whenever we sit back we give the opposition the initiative and invariably always concede and end up having to chase the game.

Not in recent times has the chant 'get into 'em' (which is crass btw) been more appropriate than it would be at 11.59am tomorrow!

Would love to be in Ewood tomorrow but weather and living in Ireland have stopped it. So I am glad it is on Sky. Was at the Shrewsbury game and it felt unreal to beat them. Can imagine it will be the same tomorrow if we pick up the three points. Fingers crossed ere in Ireland ?? ?????⚪️⚽️

54 minutes ago, darrenrover said:

I'm really looking forward to tomorrow's game, I feel we will be positive from the off, knock the stuffing out of Wigan and win comfortably

That's what we did against Shrewsbury so hopeful of a repeat. Do what we did 1st half against Oldham and we'll get beat.

2 minutes ago, GreenRover said:

Would love to be in Ewood tomorrow but weather and living in Ireland have stopped it. So I am glad it is on Sky. Was at the Shrewsbury game and it felt unreal to beat them. Can imagine it will be the same tomorrow if we pick up the three points. Fingers crossed ere in Ireland ?? ?????⚪️⚽️

It would appear Rovers have a fair following in Ireland GreenRover. Why don't yourself, Bigdog and others get your heads together and arrange a trip to Ewood for a game before the end of the season?

You'd all be welcomed with open arms.

3 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

That's what we did against Shrewsbury so hopeful of a repeat. Do what we did 1st half against Oldham and we'll get beat.

Not just Oldham blueboy!

I really hope the penny has dropped.

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that if at noon tomorrow we start like we mean business and want 3 points, then we'll get them.

Start like 'after you Claud', we'll get beat. It's such a shame that there won't be more on Ewood though.

Just now, darrenrover said:

Not just Oldham blueboy!

I really hope the penny has dropped.

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that if at noon tomorrow we start like we mean business and want 3 points, then we'll get them.

Start like 'after you Claud', we'll get beat.

Let's not f***k about Rovers! 

My thoughts exactly, mainly because if we gift the team with the best defence in the league a goal or two start it will be very hard to break them down and get back into it.

2 hours ago, Stuart said:

Really hoping Mowbray doesn’t play for a 0-0 or 1-0. The team tomorrow with be a sign of intent either way.

Mowbray never plays for a 0-0 or a 1-0, he plays to win, and he's bloody good at it hence the current lofty league position. 

8 minutes ago, Gav said:

Mowbray never plays for a 0-0 or a 1-0, he plays to win, and he's bloody good at it hence the current lofty league position. 

He has done before, especially at points last season and at the start of this.

That said, its very rare he does now, his biggest weakness is in my opinion when he tries to be too clever and outwits himself, Doncaster at home the most obvious example.

He did it v Bury by changing to 3 at the back, thankfully he learnt from it and changed back and in the end we won comfortably.

As you say, the current position suggests that hes hit upon a winning formula, and I think one that shows simplicity is key really, and not showing too much respect to inferior teams. I dont remember the last time hes played to grind out a result.

• Backroom

I think we went to Wigan earlier in the season to play out a draw, probably understandable at the time.

Hope they don't do it tomorrow even though in Grigg and Powell they have two of the leagues best attacking players I tend to think teams attacking us plays to our strengths and gives us room to exploit.

As always Dack will have 2 or 3 men on him so having someone like Payne to capitalise is brilliant for us.

You have to think though they may be massively happy with a point so will come to soak up pressure and hit us on the break, if we do the same it could be a frustrating old afternoon!

Let's hope they get Dacked!

3 hours ago, darrenrover said:

It would appear Rovers have a fair following in Ireland GreenRover. Why don't yourself, Bigdog and others get your heads together and arrange a trip to Ewood for a game before the end of the season?

You'd all be welcomed with open arms.

Have been there a couple of times and always meet welcoming Rovers supporters. Ya that would be a great day out. If we do it next season hopefully will be in the championship. ???

17 hours ago, Vinjay17 said:

Better make sure they don't forget to turn the undersoil heaters off. :rolleyes: Anyone think if the police feel like having a day off they could come up with an excuse about the roads, etc? 

As for Wigan fans I've seen the figures touted. They wouldn't have to contemplate any weather issues, etc for travelling (not exactly far anyway its those from Midlands, Scotland, etc who may have second thoughts) if I was in charge because there wouldn't be any allocation. Granted the Football League probably wouldn't allow it but I would ban them simply to get back at that FUP endorsing old git hypocrite Whelan. Yeah OK that's an outrageous statement perhaps but if I was in any position to implement it that's exactly what would happen. I guess beyond banning him (if he's isn't in Barbados or someplace) they wouldn't allow it though. Would be worth it too trying to smear him in the eyes of any Rovers fans who mistook his Venkys comments as anything other than racism. I've heard unpleasant things about him as a businessman too certainly nothing that Jack would have been associated with. I also heard he broke his leg once can that be corroborated?

Jack wasn't some big mouthed senile old fool. If he said something his words carried weight and that was enough. He obviously knew this hence his occasional public speeches (before Forest in 1999 for instance) but he didn't love the sound of his own voice like Whelan. The only reason the guy keeps his mouth shut now is because of his lesser day to day activities within the club. Not to mention others probably encourage him out of concern he won't be able to avoid making some other racial remark.

That defeat  by Wigan in the 2013 FA cup final must have really hurt you , although the recent FA cup defeat by the same score must of opened up old wounds especially as it blew the possible domestic treble , no wonder you hate Whelan .

Anyway off for lunch at local Chinky Chinese owned eating establishment, speak soon :)

11 hours ago, Stuart said:

Setting us to do that will ensure a 0-1 defeat.

We are not tight enough at the back to play that way. Wigan are.

7 minutes ago, philipl said:

Setting us to do that will ensure a 0-1 defeat.

We are not tight enough at the back to play that way. Wigan are.

We've conceded 1 goal in 3 games, or 2 in 4, how tight do you want us to be? 

Mowbray will set us up the way he's always does and that's to win football matches, it's working well so far this season.

The players need to be 'at it' from the first whistle, if they are we'll win this comfortably, if not as blueboy says above a draw wouldn't be a disaster.

Rovers 2 Wigan 1

8 hours ago, Gav said:

Off the top of my head Rotherham away. I can't be bothered looking back at any more as I'm not sure if your post was a fishing expedition.

9 minutes ago, arbitro said:

Off the top of my head Rotherham away. I can't be bothered looking back at any more as I'm not sure if your post was a fishing expedition.

My post was in response to posters claiming we'll look for a draw today.

Mowbray doesn't send his players out to draw matches, he sends them out to win Arbitro, and you simply cannot argue with the win column to support that.

I was reading elsewhere someone claiming we went to Portsmouth for a draw and we went to Plymouth for a draw, what absolute bunkum, only in Brfcsville. 

Anyway enjoy the game.

Just now, Gav said:

My post was in response to posters claiming we'll look for a draw today.

Mowbray doesn't send his players out to draw matches, he sends them out to win Arbitro, and you simply cannot argue with the win column to support that.

I was reading elsewhere someone claiming we went to Portsmouth for a draw and we went to Plymouth for a draw, what absolute bunkum, only in Brfcsville. 

Anyway enjoy the game.

I don't think he sets out to draw but sometimes the circumstances during a game cause him to defend deep to cling on. So technically your assertion of sending them out is correct I think.

Anyway on today's game I think keeping a clean sheet will see us winning. A fast start is imperative as I think Cook will set Wigan up for a point. 

Its not so much that TM sets out to get a draw (imo) but that  he has sometimes been too conservative and cautious in the way he's set up the side. Too often when wins seemed there for the taking we've played poorly, handed over the initiative to seemingly poorer opposition and ended up with a draw.

I hope TM signals his intent from the off today with his team selection and formation.

Archived