BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers v Wigan

• Replies 827
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Beware of supplanting unrealistic ideals into the present. Mowbray is manager and is managing well enough at present for me. The approach may well be to stifle the opposition until our game-changers do their bit. It is working. We are TOTL. Enjoy where we are and be cautious about knocking  how Mowbray has got us there. It does no harm however to dream.

If that means that Evans who rarely actually positively affects an outcome is selected to do the stifling bit then he has my support though I can't help my exasperation sometimes  that he does not have not Tugayesque skills.

Remember the narrative that Venkys started up with:  something along lines of modern attractive attacking football and the expectation of European qualification. Some were induced to accept the dismissal of Allardyce and his pragmatic approach to achieving relative success (maintaining the Holy Grail of Premier League riches).

Mowbray is  pragmatic, talks sense and has fostered the current wave of optimism through the players and supporters. What is going on at present is good enough at present. What the future holds is another concept. Enjoy the present.

COYBs.

I think the team sheet will tell us something about Mowbrays intentions. If he pairs Smallwood and Evans it will be a game of attrition. If he has Bennett in there he will get forward and look to win second balls high up the pitch.

Nothing against Wigan particularly but their gloating the night we dropped from the Prem still sticks in the mind so today would be a great to time to put those demons to rest.

I'd love it just love it if we stuff them.

Other than that I hope they win the FA cup again.

1 minute ago, arbitro said:

I think the team sheet will tell us something about Mowbrays intentions. If he pairs Smallwood and Evans it will be a game of attrition. If he has Bennett in there he will get forward and look to win second balls high up the pitch.

If Evans is there it’ll be a game of bottled tackles and loss of possession. 

• Backroom
Just now, toogs said:

Utterly unforgivable against Bury when he lost the ball and didn't even attempt to win it back as they broke through.

Wouldn't play him again unless essential 

1 minute ago, toogs said:

You do fear that and an approach like the one v Bury wouldn't be wise we got away with that first half because they  are a poor side there was no tactical pragmatic masterstroke there.

This team is just so much more comfortable at home when it's set up to attack not counter attack.

• Backroom

Oh for Gods sake:

Team news: One #Rovers change. Corry Evans in, Jack Payne out.

Raya 
Nyambe Lenihan Mulgrew Williams
Smallwood EVANS
Bennett Dack Armstrong 
Graham

Matchday Live:

He always leaves a bright spark player out that's part of the tactics that seems to work, bring Payne on at some point he can be a game changer, bring Evans on later it's usually the sit back option.

Method in the madness remember :rover:

• Backroom

Surprised Travis not on the bench after serving his ban - I'd have him there ahead of Conway.

Mowbray looks like he may try and nullify some of their threats but it rarely works when we try that, as long as he can think on his feet and adapt during the game we should be ok!

Massive game, 6 pointer, fans needed to get behind the lads and cheer them on.

What does Mowbray do?

Guarantees that the pre-match discussion is all about the team selection. Again. :rolleyes: 

Just now, Tom said:

Surprised Travis not on the bench after serving his ban - I'd have him there ahead of Conway.

Mowbray looks like he may try and nullify some of their threats but it rarely works when we try that, as long as he can think on his feet and adapt during the game we should be ok!

This is the saving grace for him in that he does have options to do that but why make substitutions part of the game plan? It only takes an early defensive injury and he is scratching his head.

• Backroom
Just now, Stuart said:

This is the saving grace for him in that he does have options to do that but why make substitutions part of the game plan? It only takes an early defensive injury and he is scratching his head.

The main risk is it backfiring and us being a couple down  early on; will be much happier when we have Chapman to call on now he was a game changer!

Just now, Tom said:

The main risk is it backfiring and us being a couple down  early on; will be much happier when we have Chapman to call on now he was a game changer!

How he reacts to a bad injury will be very interesting indeed.

• Backroom

Argh just realised that not only does Evans playing mean Payne misses out but it also means Bennett goes on the right where he's struggled to impact on games!

17 minutes ago, Tom said:

Oh for Gods sake:

Team news: One #Rovers change. Corry Evans in, Jack Payne out.

Raya 
Nyambe Lenihan Mulgrew Williams
Smallwood EVANS
Bennett Dack Armstrong 
Graham

Matchday Live:

Either play Payne in Dacks position or not at all would be my view. Totally agree with Mowbray on this one. Bennett brings balance, strength and pace to the side on the right, Payne doesn't. He's not a right midfielder. I think Payne has been subbed every time he's played there. I'd have played Travis before Evans though. Time for Evans to earn his money.

Archived