[Archived] Rovers v Wigan

• Replies 827
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, MGPensioner said:

far better game than a third division tie

why oh why did they hire chimphead?

Bloody hell you could write an encyclopedia on Venkys titled "why oh why?"

To be fair some think Mowbray has a bit of a chimpish look as well...

Lenihan, Dack, Graham & Bennett have all been absolutely superb.

Nyambe has made some great tackles too. Williams has got better as the half has gone on. Mulgrew has been as classy as ever.

Mowbray has got it tactically spot on. Bennett has nullified the pace on their right side. 

Another 45mins like that please.

2 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

We look very solid. Going forward we have real danger men. Graham is so wise with his play, always contests with players faster and stronger by using his brain and judging where the ball will go. 

If we score next it will be huge 

Yeah, man! Did ya notice him giving it the ol' 'stay focused lads' after the second goal? Someone mentioned Hughes earlier. IMV, this is the first time since him when we've had properly vocal leaders spread throughout the park.

It's a pity Graham started the season so sluggishly. He's great for us when he's fit and motivated.

Just now, blueboy3333 said:

Mulgrew has been as classy as ever.

Yep. Heart-in-mouth time when they sallied up the pitch after a corner, I muttered at the monitor: 'don't be f'n stupid now lads' only for himself to put in a perfectly timed sliding tackle to snuff out the danger.

Just now, DE. said:

Thought Armstrong did well in the first half too. There were some question marks over us bringing him in but he's brought a lot of energy and skill to the team.

He’s just a very good footballer; you can tell he’s had a proper footballing education at Newcastle. 

Feeling very nervous despite being 2 up; comon lads, let’s get a third and see this out.

• Backroom

On this showing, we definitely have a better side than Wigan.. Just a pity we didn't click earlier in the season.. Just got to keep this desire and focus going!!

Evans has played well tbf as have they all brilliant effort, next goal is massive !

Someone will walk though in this so i'd be tempted to swap Evans after the first ten of the 2nd half.

7 minutes ago, den said:

Brilliant from Rovers. The biggest worry by far is getting someone sent off. Time now for Mowbray to sort that. 

Wigan No5 should have walked for the foul on Bennett

Just now, tomphil said:

Evans has played well tbf as have they all brilliant effort, next goal is massive !

Someone will walk though in this so i'd be tempted to swap Evans after the first ten of the 2nd half.

Like I said in twitter DM fair chance he will get injured anyway.

Great scoreline so far! I also remembered why I prefer iFollow's non-punditry...

Williams is getting done down the right, as well as giving the ball away consistently. I probably wouldn't sub him for this game, but I think Bell deserves a go.

Evans did OK in his last match, and is doing OK again today, but I'd consider subbing him after 10-15 minutes. I can see him picking up a second yellow card.

Think we'll see a bit more control by Wigan in the second half, so let's do what we've already done and catch them on the break!

25 minutes ago, den said:

Rovers have to be very very careful not to lose their heads

The biggest concern den. But, on the other hand, Lenihan sets a great example with his aggression. We've needed that! 

• Backroom
3 minutes ago, WacoRover said:

Elated at going up early, & then filled with dread at the thought of settling back in the bus... but it didn’t happen! Rovers continued aggressive play. I love it. 

I think that's the biggest positive for me. We could easily have sat back at 1 or 2-0 but we've continued attacking which is refreshing to see.

Archived