BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers v Wigan

11 minutes ago, Roboftherovers82 said:

that's me done with rovers @#/?ing feed up of the embarrassing football and defending forgot how many points we thrown away at home this season is unreal noway where going up not goof enough

Feel free to slam the door on the way out. 

• Replies 827
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That referee was an absolute disgrace today, never a foul for the free kick for their second goal and foul on Dack in the box not given. Still though, awful defending for both goals and it's so frustrating to have let that lead slip. Need to bounce back next game. 

11 minutes ago, Roboftherovers82 said:

that's me done with rovers @#/?ing feed up of the embarrassing football and defending forgot how many points we thrown away at home this season is unreal noway where going up not goof enough

See ya later then you absolute clown.

It was crying out for some changes by 60 mins as Wigan had upped the ante with the physical stuff and once the matched Rovers with that it was always going to be a problem we wilted a bit but they looked fresher. Midweek game and the intesisty of the first half caught up and Raya is a ball watcher at set pieces you always feel we'll concede.

Say it again poor use of subs today but the usual problems cost us compounded by a crap ref but when your pushing people over absolutely needlessly all the time it's hardly surprising. Their policy was grab and hold ours was push and shove from behind, ref let the bad ones go and gave the soft ones,

Key decisions wrong the useless berk.

Just now, Butty said:

That referee was an absolute disgrace today, never a foul for the free kick for their second goal and foul on Dack in the box not given. Still though, awful defending for both goals and it's so frustrating to have let that lead slip. Need to bounce back next game. 

It was a bad call for the free that led to the goal alright. The defending was worse though. I couldn't imagine us scoring against them like that 

What a terrible second half from us. Could tell we were in trouble after two or three minutes of the second half, the crowd were flat and we just werent at the level of the first half. Poir subs as well should have brought Payne on 10 mins earlier to try and pep us up not after it went to 2-2.

Wish Smallwood would get his bloomin yellow then he could start afresh.

Not in our hands now. Goodbye automatic pro.otion, hello play offs.

Just now, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

There’s a reason why Mulgrew has been able to play so many games - it’s because he’s been playing CB. Keep him there; he has not got the engine or body for CM. Agreed CM is an issue though - Bennett has to start there.

I understand that but he is not a centre back. Got Lenihan diving in, getting stuck in scaring the shit out of the players then you got Mulgrew arm round them giggling. Hes to nice for a centre back. The main issue is centre mid has been for years as soon as Evans contract runs out the better.

• Backroom

The daft thing is when we attacked they looked like they couldn't deal with it; then second half we didn't seem to have any intention of doing so, we always come unstuck when sitting back.

Anyway we need to go and smash Blackpool next week and hope Shrewsbury or Wigan slip up, you feel we've lost the momentum and initiative now but can swing quickly 

By the way that's why we needed Travis on the bench as an option, Antonsson and Nuttall were 2 wasted subs 

Didn't see the game. Just saw the goals at the end of sky sports coverage. Their second goal looks awful easy. Should Raya have came and took everyone out to fist it clear. Didn't get a great look at it but that was I am thinking. Very frustrating. 

Just now, GreenRover said:

Didn't see the game. Just saw the goals at the end of sky sports coverage. Their second goal looks awful easy. Should Raya have came and took everyone out to fist it clear. Didn't get a great look at it but that was I am thinking. Very frustrating. 

The highlights make us look shite. Watching the game we definitely were the better team 

A game that underlined Mowbray's failings as a manager - his inability to react to the Wigan changes was ultimately what cost us the points.

Graham looked quite leggy, Smallwood and Evans failed to control the ball - and therefore the tempo of the game - in the middle of the park, and we lost too many 50-50s, particularly down the flanks.

On the bright side, Mulgrew, Lenihan and Dack played well and we scored two goals of real quality to Wigan's two slices of fortune.

The referee also seemed to lose control early on and was largely crap for both teams. 

Just now, AllRoverAsia said:

Raya wimped out on their winner. CHICKEN.

Bad coordination but I would expect the right back or another defender to clear that first. It was a predictable free. We look so dodgy from set pieces in defence and offer little in attack. On the ground moving at speed we look premier league class at time. Those two goals....

Sick to death of our inability to defend. 

Mowbray has many very desirable attributes as a manager:

1. He is honest, not corrupt and has puts the club's interest before lining his own pockets. I am confident of this.

2. He builds attacking teams with good forward players and great spirit.

3. He will win plenty of football matches for us and build an attractive team that scores plenty of goals.

However he has one major flaw as a manager:

4. His abilities to organise the defence are completely non-existent.

Do they ever work on defending a lead in training? Does he EVER encourage or try to teach the team how to keep a clean sheet? Imagine if he hadn't have had the good luck to have Mulgrew at the back nearly all season. We must have two of the best centre halves in Mulgrew and Lenihan and STILL we can't keep a clean sheet against a decent side or defend a bloody lead if the opposition is half decent.

If we go up - which after today's result it is now FAR from certain - is this story just going to repeat itself over and over next season? Score plenty, some great goals, some great spells in matches, but literally need to score three or four to have a chance of winning against the big boys.

Short term - Shrewsbury and Wigan will still drop points and we still have a damn good chance of going up. We just need to keep going.

Medium term - totally unconvinced about Mowbray's inability to solve our defensive frailties.

Long term - I just  can't see Mowbray developing into the heroic figure who rebuilt our club. I tried to believe Tony, but it's there for all to see - I am not sure you could organise an effective title, trophy winning defence if your life depended on it. Sorry - hope you prove me wrong.

Just wanted that final whistle in the end, thought we were hanging on and could easily have lost. So strange even 2-0 at home at half time and was still an absolute mess of nerves on the couch as just knew we wouldn’t keep a clean sheet. Was gutted at full time but over the course of the full 90 felt Wigan deserved the draw. We go again on Saturday! Bowyer to hopefully give us 3 points lol 

Just now, GreenRover said:

He either does that or moves at the fecking ball if he's staying back. He just got himself out of harms way. Wimp. Problem is he has no competition for his place.

Williams is utterly useless and Nyambe an athlete full stop.

Lenihan a class act.

Just now, Tango said:

A game that underlined Mowbray's failings as a manager - his inability to react to the Wigan changes was ultimately what cost us the points.

Graham looked quite leggy, Smallwood and Evans failed to control the ball - and therefore the tempo of the game - in the middle of the park, and we lost too many 50-50s, particularly down the flanks.

On the bright side, Mulgrew, Lenihan and Dack played well and we scored two goals of real quality to Wigan's two slices of fortune.

The referee also seemed to lose control early on and was largely crap for both teams. 

I can understand not changing things. Why did what's not broken. We contained them well outside our box and got done by two long balls really. The blame is not at Mowbray door for that 

First person to say ‘decent point’ deserves a slap. After a fantastic first half, we went and stuffed it up. Or more specifically Mowbray stuffed it up. It was so so obvious that Wigan were getting back into the game and he left it and left it until the win had gone. He should have brought off Evans (especially after he got booked and became even less effective) moved Bennett inside and brought on Antonsson or Payne. Instead, he just watched and watched.

The referee was abysmal. Unfit, short-sighted and a bottler who was about to book a player until he realised it would be a red. He also bottled as clear a penalty as I’ve seen all season. The standard in League One is so poor that the league may as well save some money and use Sunday League officials.

A draw that feels like a defeat and we are now on the back foot hoping that other teams will slip up. Wigan were poor today and we contrived to let them back into a game that should have been out of sight.

If we didn’t have Dack, I’m not sure we’d even be in the top 6. He has been a massive sticking plaster for a dithering, tinkering manager who has no tactical nouse except a boring, ineffective left to right diagonal ball that rarely if ever sees us even keep possession.

I expect another selection change in the next game. Let’s hope that luck is on our side, and Dack stays fit.

If we don’t finish top 2 we will not go up. We don’t have the bottle or the tactics.

Just now, RoverInverness said:

Sick to death of our inability to defend. 

Mowbray has many very desirable attributes as a manager:

1. He is honest, not corrupt and has puts the club's interest before lining his own pockets. I am confident of this.

2. He builds attacking teams with good forward players and great spirit.

3. He will win plenty of football matches for us and build an attractive team that scores plenty of goals.

However he has one major flaw as a manager:

4. His abilities to organise the defence are completely non-existent.

Do they ever work on defending a lead in training? Does he EVER encourage or try to teach the team how to keep a clean sheet? Imagine if he hadn't have had the good luck to have Mulgrew at the back nearly all season. We must have two of the best centre halves in Mulgrew and Lenihan and STILL we can't keep a clean sheet against a decent side or defend a bloody lead if the opposition is half decent.

If we go up - which after today's result it is now FAR from certain - is this story just going to repeat itself over and over next season? Score plenty, some great goals, some great spells in matches, but literally need to score three or four to have a chance of winning against the big boys.

Short term - Shrewsbury and Wigan will still drop points and we still have a damn good chance of going up. We just need to keep going.

Medium term - totally unconvinced about Mowbray's inability to solve our defensive frailties.

Long term - I just  can't see Mowbray developing into the heroic figure who rebuilt our club. I tried to believe Tony, but it's there for all to see - I am not sure you could organise an effective title, trophy winning defence if your life depended on it. Sorry - hope you prove me wrong.

You can't train player to head balls they refuse to head. Heading the ball hurts. Lenihan does it no bother. Others won't do it. You need players who will head anything in defence. Think Hendry,Moran, Nelsen and samba. Mulgrew is excellent ,but he isn't a hard nut

Archived