BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers v Wigan

• Replies 827
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes we made mistakes and can look back on what we did wrong but Paul Cook refereed that game and the man in the middle was his puppet! Him and the assistant were in tandem, one almost on the pitch and the other constantly at the 4th official. The ref was bullied into submission second half so I guess we take it as a good point.

Just now, robbojohnno said:

Yes we made mistakes and can look back on what we did wrong but Paul Cook refereed that game and the man in the middle was his puppet! Him and the assistant were in tandem, one almost on the pitch and the other constantly at the 4th official. The ref was bullied into submission second half so I guess we take it as a good point.

Maybe Mowbray should have complained ferociously as well then. Or at least told Cook to shut the hell up. Who's Cook to bully a referee anyway he's a L1 manager (granted his potential hasn't finished being measured yet) with a very bland name. 

6 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

We're not going to win all ours playing for 45 mins either. We got away with it against Walsall and Wimbledon but  it caught up with us today.

Competed for the full 90+ mins at Wimbledon so I don't know what match you were watching (if any).

Just now, Exiled in Toronto said:

Disappointing but Wigan are up there for a reason. First game I’ve watched this season where the opponents had more than one or two handy players, they were hard with it as well. Exposed our flaws: our lack of a real wide man, a midfield general and hard defenders. Our quality up front has been our strong point all season and Armstrong has added to that. Given we won’t play anyone remotely as good as Wigan rest of season I expect us to go up.

As I said before the game, mate. Probably the only team that can match us player for player. We were better in attack and if Wigan turned down £10m for Powell then Dack must be worth £20m.

Trouble is we have a liability in the nets and a team that generally can't defend set-pieces.

Just now, Alex Rover said:

Wigan & Shrewsbury play long ball football.  It's nasty on the eye but effective at this level.

Wigan don't. They play fast pressing followed by attempts at direct though balls. Its the pressing and battling that wins Games, at every level 

2 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

That's about the size of it. They were very committed. I think we have better footballers, but they have more battlers. 

Spot on , I thought they out muscled us in 2nd half ! 

Big strong team Wigan made for this Division .....Stop all the paranoia,  we are top of the league , we go again....

Just now, blueboy3333 said:

As I said before the game, mate. Probably the only team that can match us player for player. We were better in attack and if Wigan turned down £10m for Powell then Dack must be worth £20m.

Trouble is we have a liability in the nets and a team that generally can't defend set-pieces.

Our biggest issue is mainly lack of height. Wigan have height throughout the team which makes a big difference in this league.

Though a draw feels like a defeat after being 2-0 up - I felt we looked the better team overall - but the physicality of Wigan told in the end. A draw isn't the end of the world - just need to ensure we beat Blackpool.

Just now, Waggy76 said:

Spot on , I thought they out muscled us in 2nd half ! 

Big strong team Wigan made for this Division .....Stop all the paranoia,  we are top of the league , we go again....

They have a around 4 Smallwoods at his best in that team. Morsy, Power, the and the right back are the ones who spring to mind. We have lads that are nice and tidy but won't smash into a 50/50, combined with 4-5 players who are as good or better than their 2 main men Grigg and Powell 

Just now, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

Our biggest issue is mainly lack of height. Wigan have height throughout the team which makes a big difference in this league.

Though a draw feels like a defeat after being 2-0 up - I felt we looked the better team overall - but the physicality of Wigan told in the end. A draw isn't the end of the world - just need to ensure we beat Blackpool.

Agreed. As others have said we lost the battle 2nd half. We needed to clone Lenihan and put him in midfield. He's probably our best midfielder too. Evans and Smallwood were very poor I thought.

Gutted having been 2-0 up not to get all three points but over the course of 90 minutes I can't say we were the better side. 

Our individual quality upfront will always win us games but I do think their midfield strength dominated ours over the 90. Having Lenihan back is so important. We would have lost that game with downing by Mulgrew. 

I'm 100% sure Wigan and Shrewsbury won't win all their remaining games. We need to keep up the pressure. Not a good result but not a disaster  

50 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

He's had a great season in general. He was just shit today. 

Hes been shit since Christmas imo of course, dont rate him, possibly the slowest players ive ever seen.

Just now, Exiled in Toronto said:

Disappointing but Wigan are up there for a reason. First game I’ve watched this season where the opponents had more than one or two handy players, they were hard with it as well. Exposed our flaws: our lack of a real wide man, a midfield general and hard defenders. Our quality up front has been our strong point all season and Armstrong has added to that. Given we won’t play anyone remotely as good as Wigan rest of season I expect us to go up.

I didn't think Wigan showed any quality whatsoever today other than be extremely physical. Certainly nothing that should have seen us lose a 2 goal lead. We just didn't turn up second half.

4 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Wigan don't. They play fast pressing followed by attempts at direct though balls. Its the pressing and battling that wins Games, at every level 

Not in this match.  They launched it up to Powell when ever they could. Not great football but effective.

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

He can't make players do the right thing

Course he can, that's his job. We've conceded nearly half our goals from set-pieces. That's poor coaching. It's not like he didn't have the funds to bring in a big gripper CH or a new keeper.

Just now, Alex Rover said:

Not in this match.  They launched it up to Powell when ever they could. Not great football but effective.

I disagree. When they won the ball in midfield they played it to their full back or winger. It stretched us and ultimately led to an ,albeit, fortunate equaliser. 

Powell was largely ineffective.  Dack is a far superior player. I'd say even Wigan fans saw that today 

1st half was as good as we’ve played all season. Every player won their own battles and the team as a whole was great. Completely bossed them.

But as we know by now, when in front we seem to prefer to defend it rather than build upon it. WHICH NEVER WORKS.

If we’d done the same as we did 1st half then we’d have comfortably won imo. We simply aren’t good enough in defence to sit back and defend when in front.

Just now, blueboy3333 said:

Course he can, that's his job. We've conceded nearly half our goals from set-pieces. That's poor coaching. It's not like he didn't have the funds to bring in a big gripper CH or a new keeper.

Ya he can bring in players,but those on the pitch should have cleared the 2nd goal today. You learn under 12 to clear balls at the front post to stop them causing more trouble 

Archived