BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers v Wigan

• Replies 827
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, funny-old-game said:

Most disappointing thing for me was being top of the league and 2 up against one of our rivals, and still being a bag of nerves in the second half.

Suppose this is the level we are at, but still hard to accept.

Nah..the most disappointing thing is that we are playing our biggest game of the season against...Wigan! (just saying)

Our goals were class. I do worry about our defensive glass jaw.

Watching Paul Cook's antics and the the Wigan players whingeing in the ref's ear,, it reminded me of all those kids footy games that I watched, as a Dad. You only had to listen to the manager to guess the culture of the team on the pitch!

God, I despise Wigan!

33 minutes ago, Tom said:

I thought Nyambe played well today, surprised to see him singled out for criticism.

Not too concerned about Wigan as I see them as being up, the other is between us and Shrewsbury, for now they have an opportunity to overtake us but need maximum points from their two games in hand.

We both have games next week you would expect to win, Blackpool for us and Walsall for them but you never know at this point.

For me wins like the ones on Tuesday and other bread and butter games are the kind that get you promoted, winning games like today are what makes a champion!

Disagree with this, granted Wigan are definite favourites but I'd still be disappointed if we didnt win the league, id be satisfied with 2nd dont get me wrong but there would be an undercurrent of annoyance if we didnt take what may be our only chance in a while of winning a league title.

Dont think Wigan have won any of the games v us or Shrewsbury so not necessarily true.

Its a three horse race for 1st, with the runner up prize being a very good one too.

Losing a two goal lead is not the greatest prelude for what I’m going to say next. Wigan are a good league one side they have the experience to know what they can get away with and they used it. However just like the last time they went into the championship they will get  relegated ,what they do will not work.

Rovers on the other hand are a quality team. If we get promoted and there are no guarantees we will be more than ok in the championship.Shame about today but a gulf in class between us and them. 

10 games and I think we’ll  do enough to get a top two finish.

10 minutes ago, FGS5635 said:

Not seen it on tv yet either, but damm charlies free kick just before half time looked in. Was just waiting for the net to buldge :(

I was sat in the Riverside, it was a long way off.

Just now, Boroblue said:

Losing a two goal lead is not the greatest prelude for what I’m going to say next. Wigan are a good league one side they have the experience to know what they can get away with and they used it. However just like the last time they went into the championship they will get  relegated ,what they do will not work.

Exact opposite for me. Wigan look extremely solid and well organised, while we give away soft goals.  Yes we have good forwards but as several teams have shown , if you stop Dack you stop Rovers. Plus Graham is getting older and Payne and Armstrong are on loan. Of the 2 teams on show today, Rovers is the side that will need more investment to survive next season (assuming we both go up)

Just now, jim mk2 said:

Exact opposite for me. Wigan look extremely solid and well organised, while we give away soft goals.  Yes we have good forwards but as several teams have shown , if you stop Dack you stop Rovers. Plus Graham is getting older and Payne and Armstrong are on loan. Of the 2 teams on show today, Rovers is the side that will need more investment to survive next season (assuming we both go up)

I more than agree with the need for investment if we get promoted. Central midfield is a must. I wasn’t at any point saying rovers are the finished article. However in terms of quality and football ability whatever league you don’t lose 1 in 25 by being inept. 

In wigans case to use an loading saying there’s horses for courses

The result today is not going to be the reason why we're up or not. It's a decent point in the big picture.

Draws Vs Fleetwood, Oldham etc will be the reason why we don't go up.

If we do go up (hopefully).then the problem is that we're going to be playing sides as good as Wigan every week. Plenty of reinforcements will be required, not least to the defence.

What a cracking game and atmosphere.

2 brilliant, creative goals from us. Lovely ball from Dack after a great tackle from Lenihan for the first. And for the second, a lovely reverse ball from Dack after an intelligent overlap from Bennett who then calmly slotted it from a difficult angle. Quality.

And then of course 2 soft ones to concede. The second was particularly annoying

Wigan have shown why they are top. Never created much, never played any real free flowing football and yet showed great will, desire energy, staying power and grit. That desire definitely boils over at times. Cook and Morsey are arses. Had that game gone on another 15 mins there would have only been one winner as we wilted a little for the last 10. I don’t see that our subs added a great deal but their subs added energy and grit.

But what an awesome first half from us. Stood toe to toe, particularly Lenihan and thankfully didn’t lose it. All credit to the lads.

The ref? Nothing that directly caused a goal but definitely weak. Plenty of stuff gong ion which he either didn’t see or let go. Powell was niggling all game and got away with murder –stamping on Mulgrew’s toes in our box from a corner in the second half. But then Dack could easily have been pulled up for that 2nd goal. The penalty shout? Nope, got the ball. 

The issues? Defending, game management, late match wilting, subs who add little? Armstrong who had a great game but had the ball in the second half up on his own, surrounded but tried to plough on thus losing the ball instead of a simple pass to 2 available players behind which would take the heat off a beleaguered defence. Downing I think crossing straight into their keeper’s arms to set up another attack. Nyambe’s pointless foul followed by a non-existent shirt pull.

• Backroom

Gutting result today. But we still have reasons to be positive:

1: Over 90mins, we matched the only other team in this league with our form, size, and resources. Even dominated them for long spells.

2: We still have Chapman to come back.

Just wish that our defence was more robust. That MUST be our priority come summer and I don't think Mulgrew in the 1st X1 is part of that unless we go 3 at the back from the start...

And that's just terrifying.

Getting on the plane we were 2-0 up I landed in Manchester to see a 2-2 draw. Having now seen the goals both were avoidable and were poor goals to concede especially when compared to our goals.

momentum takes us to next week

29 minutes ago, aletheia said:

What a cracking game and atmosphere.

2 brilliant, creative goals from us. Lovely ball from Dack after a great tackle from Lenihan for the first. And for the second, a lovely reverse ball from Dack after an intelligent overlap from Bennett who then calmly slotted it from a difficult angle. Quality.

And then of course 2 soft ones to concede. The second was particularly annoying

Wigan have shown why they are top. Never created much, never played any real free flowing football and yet showed great will, desire energy, staying power and grit. That desire definitely boils over at times. Cook and Morsey are arses. Had that game gone on another 15 mins there would have only been one winner as we wilted a little for the last 10. I don’t see that our subs added a great deal but their subs added energy and grit.

But what an awesome first half from us. Stood toe to toe, particularly Lenihan and thankfully didn’t lose it. All credit to the lads.

The ref? Nothing that directly caused a goal but definitely weak. Plenty of stuff gong ion which he either didn’t see or let go. Powell was niggling all game and got away with murder –stamping on Mulgrew’s toes in our box from a corner in the second half. But then Dack could easily have been pulled up for that 2nd goal. The penalty shout? Nope, got the ball. 

The issues? Defending, game management, late match wilting, subs who add little? Armstrong who had a great game but had the ball in the second half up on his own, surrounded but tried to plough on thus losing the ball instead of a simple pass to 2 available players behind which would take the heat off a beleaguered defence. Downing I think crossing straight into their keeper’s arms to set up another attack. Nyambe’s pointless foul followed by a non-existent shirt pull.

He didn't get the ball for the one he shoved Dack in the back - which should have been a penalty.. 

1 hour ago, GreenRover said:

Wigan have only 1 win in their last 4 so they are not goin too well and lots of games to come for them. I agree a win today would have put us in a stronger position but was not to be. Lots of twists and turns left. 

Exactly plus do Wigan have the squad at this stage of season to cope? We will see

3 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

The only one biased is you (in the same way as I am as a Rovers fan), point being we threw away 2 goals through a mixture of their good play and our own shortcomings. The ref was not biased at all, just poor on both sides, looked a foul to me in the build up to our second, thought the free kick for their second was soft and that was never a penalty on Dack (ive seen it back, didnt think so at the time nor on the replay) so it was just general incompetence favouring neither team, you cant blame refereeing conspiracies for us throwing away 2 points.

Surely you agree though that Raya is making too many mistakes? He is a talented keeper, good shot stopper, and for the first hour or whatever he was really good at catching crosses. But then he made another mistake. Keepers are judged on the mistakes they make. He is very young, not saying hes a lost cause but you look at our team and hes the one glaring weakness in terms of targeting someone to make a mistake. The second goal shouldnt go in like it did then he had a rush of blood to the head soon after, an experienced number 1 would be a masisve improvement next season, maybe loan Raya out to a League 1 club and get him to learn on the job and not affect the points we get. You mention the Walsall game but even then theres question marks over him for the goal they scored. Whilst hes making mistakes, you will also get people questioning how seemingly a novice coach is teaching him, maybe an experienced head will help to cut them out of his game?

Not seen the Dack Penalty incident back on tv. Watch back in the morning. 

Ref was worst for us and better for them. 

No I'm happy with Raya in goal and he would be my number 1 for next season. We have young keeper here so lets show some faith/confidence and play him here instead of loaning him out. Done that before got us nowhere. Mowbray is happy developing young talent so keep doing it. Raya only benefit from playing games and confidence Mowbray has in him. Wanted to play last season under Coyle and he wouldnt and wasted 18 months on bench under Bowyer, Lambert and Coyle. 

Would an experience gk coach help? Not for me. You can do all the coaching you want but Raya himself has to make the decisions. 

2 hours ago, JHRover said:

Wigan can lose 2 of their games and still go above us going into the last 10. So yes I'd sooner be in their position and theories/predictions about fixture pile ups and everything else won't change that. 

They can reach 109 points and we can only reach 103. Maybe that will change, maybe it won't, but right here right now they're better placed than we are.

If we were 2 or 3 above them and they had 1 in hand I'd perhaps agree our position was as good/better by having the points already secured.

But the pressure is on.wigan to win those games. Lets see what happens. 

Rather be in our position than Wigan. We have different views on it. 

Disappointed at Ewood today game of two halves Rovers goals proper worked ones well constructed and finished Wigans goals scrappy and badly defended also we seemed to run out of energy to continue with a high press game in the second half thus allowing Wigan back into things and their subs were of a higher quality, best opposition team to come to Ewood this season though.    

We've certainly 'rattled' Shrewsbury and Wigan on their visits to Ewood. Both have had players showing arrogance and petulance probably because they've been at the top all season and can see they've let us back into it.

The ref was conned all game by Wigan, the worst being the number 5 who has rolling around in agony until he saw the ref booking Evans, promptly jumped up and jogged off.

Powell is in the Dean Henderson bracket of Man Utd youth, feels he's above playing in League 1.

4 hours ago, Clitherover said:

Nyambe was good, apart from one point when he got nutmegged he had a decent game.

Williams is definitely the weak point for me and needs replacing whatever league we are in next season.

I thought Bell was his replacement.

4 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

The only one biased is you (in the same way as I am as a Rovers fan), point being we threw away 2 goals through a mixture of their good play and our own shortcomings. The ref was not biased at all, just poor on both sides, looked a foul to me in the build up to our second, thought the free kick for their second was soft and that was never a penalty on Dack (ive seen it back, didnt think so at the time nor on the replay) so it was just general incompetence favouring neither team, you cant blame refereeing conspiracies for us throwing away 2 points.

Surely you agree though that Raya is making too many mistakes? He is a talented keeper, good shot stopper, and for the first hour or whatever he was really good at catching crosses. But then he made another mistake. Keepers are judged on the mistakes they make. He is very young, not saying hes a lost cause but you look at our team and hes the one glaring weakness in terms of targeting someone to make a mistake. The second goal shouldnt go in like it did then he had a rush of blood to the head soon after, an experienced number 1 would be a masisve improvement next season, maybe loan Raya out to a League 1 club and get him to learn on the job and not affect the points we get. You mention the Walsall game but even then theres question marks over him for the goal they scored. Whilst hes making mistakes, you will also get people questioning how seemingly a novice coach is teaching him, maybe an experienced head will help to cut them out of his game?

We had this same discussion last week about Raya. People rushed in to defend him. Yes, he has great potential but we are relying on him to go up.This position should have been covered from the start of the season. Not like it would have cost a fortune.

2 hours ago, FGS5635 said:

Agreed. Graham was struggling to hold it up against 2 big lump centre halves. WIgan played a high line and we struggled to get out.

I'd have put Armstrong upfront against them 2 centre halves and forced them deeper

That said on another day we win that. Couple of key chances missed at 2-0 and I thought we were unfortunate with both their goals.

Evans really should have done better with his chance, he had a long way to see that coming, didn't need to put any pace on it and he fluffed it. He scores that and its game over.

Lack of height upfront is double edged as no big guys to bring back and help out set pieces and I've always felt the likes of Wigan are stronger physically in key areas as well as those players being good technically as well.

We are the best attacking/counter attacking side in the league but still short in areas and this league is more about forcing the issue rather than footballing it most of the time. Thought we competed really well today all over the park but ran out of gas.

Keep going as we have been though and it should be enough for first or second still but if we miss out to Wigan & Shrews I don't think it will be any coincidence they do the real basics better.

5 hours ago, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

I would wager good money that Wigan will not win all of those games in hand,same with shrews.....the pressure is firmly on them to get the results.

There are many twists and turns to come these remaining games.

Pressure is on Shrewsbury but Wigan only need to win 2 of their 4 games in hand to go above us. That's way below their average for the season. I'd be astonished if they didn't finish above us.

Today was the only opportunity left to make it very difficult for them and we didn't take it.

As for the play-offs, if we don't get second, managers will instruct their teams to float crosses in Raya's direction and crowd him. I dread it.

46 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Exactly plus do Wigan have the squad at this stage of season to cope? We will see

No I'm happy with Raya in goal and he would be my number 1 for next season. We have young keeper here so lets show some faith/confidence and play him here instead of loaning him out. Done that before got us nowhere. Mowbray is happy developing young talent so keep doing it. Raya only benefit from playing games and confidence Mowbray has in him. Wanted to play last season under Coyle and he wouldnt and wasted 18 months on bench under Bowyer, Lambert and Coyle. 

Would an experience gk coach help? Not for me. You can do all the coaching you want but Raya himself has to make the decisions. 

The most obvious potential error led to our second goal. The referee was just bad in general, as they are nearly every game so lets cut out the conspiracy biased nonsense shall we.

The thing is, you sometimes have to weigh up, is he making too many mistakes to allow us to develop him as number 1 without it costing us points on a regular basis? Id suggest its on the brink either way. Im all for developing our youngsters but not at the expense of the team. Lenihan and Nyambe are in the team and arent making regular mistakes that cost us. Whereas I dont like Nuttall playing at the moment as he looks a bit out of his depth, but i acknowledge that he has talent. Goalkeeper is a particularly harsh position to play, hes probably got 15 years left in him, if we get in an experienced number 1 in next year, loan Raya to a league 1 club (Stanley if they go up?) allow him to learn more and get more game time elsewhere and the year after we get a keeper with another year to cut his teeth.

Just now, 47er said:

We had this same discussion last week about Raya. People rushed in to defend him. Yes, he has great potential but we are relying on him to go up.This position should have been covered from the start of the season. Not like it would have cost a fortune.

Thats it, hes cost us more points than any other player so naturally hed be the first player you upgrade, everyone acknowledges his talent and we can assume that with age his mistakes will hopefully reduce.

56 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

How was Nuttall when he came on was he upto it.

Archived