BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers v Wigan

4 hours ago, Hasta said:

It's not a penalty at all. Have you watched it back? Dack also has his left arm out and is trying to grab a bit of the guys shirt. There is nothing in it.

As bad as the ref was, when people keep banging on about the penalty it just makes you sound desperate to find fault in the ref.

He was poor and refereed the second half completely different from the first half. He gave a lot of fouls in the second half which he was letting go in the first half and yet we didnt learn. I've not seen the free kick for the equaliser which looked soft but the one big error was the foul he gave for Nyambe. However I've seen worse this season and he certainly wasn't the reason why we let Wigan boss the second half.

No I havent. Probably try watch the highlights tonight whilst Im on dinner at work. 

Look a penalty at the time and that incident had been for Wigan he would have given it I bet. Look at their free kick for 2nd goal and Vaughan foul both given whilst ours wasnt. 

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

But surely you arent saying that he was biased towards Wigan ie purposely giving them an advantage?

Gave Wigan alot of soft decisions that wasnt free kicks like their 2nd goal. Wasnt a free kick. 

What soft decisions did we get?

• Replies 827
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Gav said:

I'm very surprised the occasion yesterday hasn't been given more coverage.

Ewood was absolutely rocking at times yesterday, especially in the first half, and with over 16k fans on for a live TV game It felt like the old days at times for me.

The elephant in Pune is still very much in the room, but yesterday was about Blackburn Rovers, its players and manager and most of all it's tremendous supporters.

I think overall the fans have been good all season, was a good atmosphere especially considering we threw a lead I felt the fans didnt let their frustration show. You make a very good point.

I dont get why a small portion seem intent on belittling the fan base, especially following in the main constructive criticism when we do drop points.

Fans have been superb, following in their numbers and a far more positive atmosphere despite a negligent relegation, even confirmed under the current manager. Always felt the atmosphere has been upbeat and with the relative success its gone like a freight train.

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

No I havent. Probably try watch the highlights tonight whilst Im on dinner at work. 

Look a penalty at the time and that incident had been for Wigan he would have given it I bet. Look at their free kick for 2nd goal and Vaughan foul both given whilst ours wasnt. 

Gave Wigan alot of soft decisions that wasnt free kicks like their 2nd goal. Wasnt a free kick. 

What soft decisions did we get?

You are continuously overlooking our second goal and the foul, which is convenient, whilst acknowledging the soft free kick for their second.

Poor decisions were given on both sides, and for me any suggestions of bias are deluded ones.

On 01/03/2018 at 16:36, AggyBlue said:

Good luck with that

Cheers for the comments lads, got up in 6 hours, ;) was up to see family, went match with son in law, had tickets for the Riverside, as good as we were in the first half we were equally as bad in the 2nd half but the ref was very poor imo.

Drove back today in 5 hours 15, read the posts but didnt reply as left tablet at home and couldnt remember my password for daughters laptop :D

• Backroom
3 hours ago, Gav said:

I'm very surprised the occasion yesterday hasn't been given more coverage.

Ewood was absolutely rocking at times yesterday, especially in the first half, and with over 16k fans on for a live TV game It felt like the old days at times for me.

The elephant in Pune is still very much in the room, but yesterday was about Blackburn Rovers, its players and manager and most of all it's tremendous supporters.

It was fantastic but the course of the second half drained the life out of us, it would have been absolutely rocking if we went into the last 10 minutes at 2-0 but such is life we'll have more days to celebrate yet!

7 hours ago, Giant said:

Modern balls are like beach balls, the old leather ones used to weigh a ton when wet. I can understand the latter giving brain injuries.

I think Eric Bell suffered in that respect didn't he? There's a name from the long-lost past!

Ran a Post Office in Darwen up Sudell Rd way while playing in Rovers 1st team! (as did Ronnie Clayton of course). 

7 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

It is possible, but I'm not sure how it can be proven the likes of poor old Jeff Astle wouldn't have contracted dementia anyway, or if the incidence of former footballers with dementia is any greater than in the rest of the general population.

There are all sorts of tests going on all over the world testing former professional athletes in contact sports--notably American football but also football and rugby. Didn't i read that Alan Shearer had a scan recently as part of a research programme? Never caught the result.

The point is to establish a data base to see if the incidence is greater among former professional athletes than the general public.

I'd be astonished if it wasn't.

4 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

I think overall the fans have been good all season, was a good atmosphere especially considering we threw a lead I felt the fans didnt let their frustration show. You make a very good point.

I dont get why a small portion seem intent on belittling the fan base, especially following in the main constructive criticism when we do drop points.

Fans have been superb, following in their numbers and a far more positive atmosphere despite a negligent relegation, even confirmed under the current manager. Always felt the atmosphere has been upbeat and with the relative success its gone like a freight train.

You are continuously overlooking our second goal and the foul, which is convenient, whilst acknowledging the soft free kick for their second.

Poor decisions were given on both sides, and for me any suggestions of bias are deluded ones.

Not a foul. 50/50 and Dack is stronger of the players. 

1 hour ago, 47er said:

There are all sorts of tests going on all over the world testing former professional athletes in contact sports--notably American football but also football and rugby. Didn't i read that Alan Shearer had a scan recently as part of a research programme? Never caught the result.

The point is to establish a data base to see if the incidence is greater among former professional athletes than the general public.

I'd be astonished if it wasn't.

Good documentary on Shearer. Worth watching again if it comes on. He had no obvious impairment when they scanned his brain. Jeff Astle and Nobby Stiles were a different matter. 

Thanks for that. Didn't catch that programme for some reason. You'd think if anyone was going to suffer from brain damage by heading it would be Shearer!

In the 50's  and early 60's the leather ball soaked in the  moisture and became heavier as the game went on. Like heading a medicine ball by the end!

Probably football a lot safer now.

3 hours ago, Rover_Shaun said:

Just caught the highlights. Raya won't want to watch the 2nd ever again. #flappingjessie

I think its a common thing with keepers today must be the ball are something, just watched the palace keeper tonight he misjudged  quite a few crosses and he is an experienced 31 year old international  keeper.

Just now, had.e.nuff said:

I think its a common thing with keepers today must be the ball are something, just watched the palace keeper tonight he misjudged  quite a few crosses and he is an experienced 31 year old international  keeper.

To be fair, Wayne Hennessey is a shocking Premier League goalkeeper.

1 hour ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Correct. If that incident was VARed it would show the first 'foul' by the Wigan player grabing and pushing Dack. 50/50 as you say.

Exactly

55 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

But surely if the referee was biased towards Wigan as you say, he would have taken a good chance to blow up?

(I personally think we were pretty lucky)

Did he even see it or did let go cos Wigan player fouled Dack 1st?

3 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Exactly

Did he even see it or did let go cos Wigan player fouled Dack 1st?

But even if there was an initial pull back by Byrne on Dack, he would have either blew straight away for a foul, preventing the goalscoring opportunity from materializing, or more likely would have given advantage, to which Dack then returned the favour and fouled Byrne, therefore a foul would have been given the other way? There was an incident that USUALLY would have been given as a foul, and we got the benefit of the decision.

At the end of the day chaddy, the ref wasnt biased and we drew from a winning position because of our own. (and obviously Wigans performance) If you feel that the referee gave more decisions their way then thats fair enough, but to accuse him of favouring a team is just bitter because we didnt win. Fact of the matter is referees at this level are far more incompetent than in the leagues above, which is to be expected sadly. Incompetent, not biased.

2 fairly well matched teams. The difference in the final position in the league could well come down to our slow start back at the start of the season.  It's over to Wigan to see if they can hold their nerve and win the games in hand.

• J*B unpinned this topic
7 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

At the end of the day chaddy, the ref wasnt biased and we drew from a winning position because of our own. (and obviously Wigans performance) If you feel that the referee gave more decisions their way then thats fair enough, but to accuse him of favouring a team is just bitter because we didnt win. Fact of the matter is referees at this level are far more incompetent than in the leagues above, which is to be expected sadly. Incompetent, not biased.

I have my opinion and you dont agree thats fine but that MY OPINION. 

If you watch the replay of Rovers second goal, when the Wigan players complain the ref actually indicates that it was a coming together or that both players were at it equally.

However roverfan99's point is correct that if the ref was biased it would have been a very easy incident to blow up for. 

17 minutes ago, Lancaster Rover said:

The ref certainly wasn't biased, he gave both teams their fare share of poor decisions. The reason ref's are at this level is the same as players are playing at this level - they're prone to mistakes and/or not very good.

That is spot on. He wasn't biased in any way, he was weak, incompetent and inconsistent for both teams. His random foul detection was his only consistency and that affected both us and Wigan.

But he is actually a full time official operating on Select Group 2.

• Backroom
34 minutes ago, Lancaster Rover said:

The ref certainly wasn't biased, he gave both teams their fare share of poor decisions. The reason ref's are at this level is the same as players are playing at this level - they're prone to mistakes and/or not very good.

I can't believe anyone above the age of 12 would seriously think it's some conspiracy against us and biased refs rather than just incompetence. If only we had VAR maybe the 'definite' penalty would have been given ?

A biased ref would have disallowed our second and sent Evans off for a second booking in the corner. 

Sure we'll have this debate again before the season is out we must be due a Trevor Kettle appearance soon 

Unless there's financial unfair play going on between the ref and Whelan why would the guy be biased? It was Rovers who were playing at home and Wigan damn sure aren't a bigger club. Those are the reasons why refs are usually accused. If ref was biased then Rovers 2nd goal wouldn't have been allowed would it? Yeah ok you might note Rovers should have had a free kick in 1st place but that's contradicting yourself.

It doesn't necessarily take an elaborate anti-Rovers conspiracy for the referee to be 'biased' in his decision making, or at least massively inconsistent between halves.

The amount of pressure being applied throughout the first half towards referee, linesman, and most significantly the 4th official from those in the away dugout may well have sowed seeds of doubt into the referees mind about whether he perhaps might have favoured Rovers in his decision not to give a foul, may have made some errors or at least may have got him thinking that he had allowed too much to go by the wayside and that he needed to be more strict on minor fouls.

There was a noticeable change in his approach in the game, of that there is little doubt. The trigger for that is debateable but when you've 3 coaches hurling abuse towards you and your colleagues for most of the 1st half moaning about free kicks not being given in the build up to the goal it isn't beyond the realms of possibility that the referee decided he was going to be much more strict in the 2nd half, which arguably Wigan then benefited from as numerous cheap free kicks were conceded as they were taking more control in the game, free kicks that arguably weren't being given in the 1st half.

That's gamesmanship and fair play to Cooke and his team for using it to get an advantage. There was nothing stopping Mowbray being a pain the ref's backside all game, John Coleman and his team at Accrington have used this modus operandi for years and it works for them. Management teams do what they have to succeed, we need to toughen up a bit, "oooh nasty man was shouty at the referee". It's  not that long since Hughes and co were doing the same for us. They used to have a carefully orchestrated plan where they would take it in turns to get into the 4th man, it was like a revolving line of questioning. 

The one thing we showed on Sunday was naievity, both in our approach to the ref and the way we played in the second half, Wigan on the other hand showed real professionalism and got the job done. We need to wise up a bit.

Archived