BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers v Wigan

Just now, roversfan99 said:

The most obvious potential error led to our second goal. The referee was just bad in general, as they are nearly every game so lets cut out the conspiracy biased nonsense shall we.

The thing is, you sometimes have to weigh up, is he making too many mistakes to allow us to develop him as number 1 without it costing us points on a regular basis? Id suggest its on the brink either way. Im all for developing our youngsters but not at the expense of the team. Lenihan and Nyambe are in the team and arent making regular mistakes that cost us. Whereas I dont like Nuttall playing at the moment as he looks a bit out of his depth, but i acknowledge that he has talent. Goalkeeper is a particularly harsh position to play, hes probably got 15 years left in him, if we get in an experienced number 1 in next year, loan Raya to a league 1 club (Stanley if they go up?) allow him to learn more and get more game time elsewhere and the year after we get a keeper with another year to cut his teeth.

Thats it, hes cost us more points than any other player so naturally hed be the first player you upgrade, everyone acknowledges his talent and we can assume that with age his mistakes will hopefully reduce.

Nyambe's a liability thats cost the team a few of the goals this season.

• Replies 827
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

I would wager good money that Wigan will not win all of those games in hand,same with shrews.....the pressure is firmly on them to get the results.

There are many twists and turns to come these remaining games.

Would you wager good money that Wigan won't win 2 of 4 though?

13 minutes ago, 47er said:

We had this same discussion last week about Raya. People rushed in to defend him. Yes, he has great potential but we are relying on him to go up.This position should have been covered from the start of the season. Not like it would have cost a fortune.

Raya wasn't at fault for either goal today, to let the ball travel so far for Wigans second was the defences fault.

Raya's a decent keeper and is the least of our worries.

4 minutes ago, FGS5635 said:

There isn't a defender/goalkeeper in the country that hasn't cost his team some goals this season. It goes with the territory of being a defender/goalkeeper

To be fair, I do acknowledge that goalkeepers mistakes do tend to lead to goals. I just think hes too raw around the edges for all his talent and he makes too many mistakes.

To be fair, I do acknowledge that goalkeepers mistakes do tend to lead to goals. I just think hes too raw around the edges for all his talent and he makes too many mistakes.

My point was more in defence of Nyambe than Raya. That said with Raya, the drop off in goalkeeping talent is far bigger than outfield players when you drop leagues. There aren't that many good goalkeepers in the championship, never mind league one.

Just now, Hasta said:

Because he thinks Bennett is going to clear it?

Really !

The first goal what's he doing under the ball when the cross for the first one comes in, he's just in the way doing nothing he needs a Glen Keeley to sort him out. A Soft lad useful for nothing on the playing field.

7 hours ago, Tango said:

A game that underlined Mowbray's failings as a manager - his inability to react to the Wigan changes was ultimately what cost us the points.

Graham looked quite leggy, Smallwood and Evans failed to control the ball - and therefore the tempo of the game - in the middle of the park, and we lost too many 50-50s, particularly down the flanks.

On the bright side, Mulgrew, Lenihan and Dack played well and we scored two goals of real quality to Wigan's two slices of fortune.

The referee also seemed to lose control early on and was largely crap for both teams. 

Lost it in the selections before the game started.Travis is a hard, terrier mid-fielder---should at least been on the bench. We pleaded for him not to pick Evans but, in our hearts we knew he would.

Smallwood has gone from hero to missing lost in action over the last few weeks. Nuttall is a wasted sub at this point etc etc.

A load of crap teams in this Div makes us look world-beaters but we still don't compete enough at the basic level. We rarely grab mid-field by the scruff of the neck and we can't defend from corners and free-kicks. We can't or don't get in our opponents faces and play the pressing game for 90 mins.

There's a hell of a lot to like about our team but to get promoted you have to get the basics right. Its been obvious all season and not addressed.

The problem is finding a replacement who is better. He's a far better keeper than Steele was but does make the more notable errors on crosses. 

I disagree with Chaddy in that I think a goalkeeper coach could improve his game. There are certain balls he shouldn't come for which he does. That will make me over time but those situations can be worked upon on the training ground.

Having watched the highlights, I'm not sure today's goal is a horrendous mistake. The quality is all on the cross. He will be disappointed but it's not like the mistake at Walsall.

Personally think we came out thinking job was done in the second half, we just weren't at the races. We did pick though and started to dig in and battle, but as soon as Graham went of we completely went to pot- Nutall offered us absolutely nothing up top, we desperately need another option to Graham.

Mowbray should have told them to blow Wigan away, destroy their confidence, instead we sat deep, encouraged them, let them grow and gain confidence and fell to bits.

On another note, I honestly thought Graham was washed up at the start of the season. What a different player he looks now, top notch and become an integral player.

2 minutes ago, JAL said:

Really !

The first goal what's he doing under the ball when the cross for the first one comes in, he's just in the way doing nothing he needs a Glen Keeley to sort him out. A Soft lad useful for nothing on the playing field.

I agree more on the first goal. It should be Nyambe challenging but he lets Lenihan come across and suddenly there's two players together and a Wigan man free.

Again though, our defence lacks a centre half who can win those balls in the air. Wigans strikers were hardly giants and yet there we don't deal with a simple cross.

Just now, Hasta said:

I agree more on the first goal. It should be Nyambe challenging but he lets Lenihan come across and suddenly there's two players together and a Wigan man free.

Again though, our defence lacks a centre half who can win those balls in the air. Wigans strikers were hardly giants and yet there we don't deal with a simple cross.

Pointed out several times that one of Nyambe's weaknesses is his inability to get up and compete for headers it just isnt in his nature.

5 minutes ago, Lie_still_Rover said:

Personally think we came out thinking job was done in the second half, we just weren't at the races. We did pick though and started to dig in and battle, but as soon as Graham went of we completely went to pot- Nutall offered us absolutely nothing up top, we desperately need another option to Graham.

Mowbray should have told them to blow Wigan away, destroy their confidence, instead we sat deep, encouraged them, let them grow and gain confidence and fell to bits.

On another note, I honestly thought Graham was washed up at the start of the season. What a different player he looks now, top notch and become an integral player.

Nuttall another over promoted dummy playing above his level.

For me neither nyambe or raya are up to scratch for a champ team. Also cut our losses on Evans, Williams, downing, Nuttall, Conway and Smallwood isn’t a starter, squad player in the ilk of lee Williamson. Another season and graham might be done too, lot of work to be done. I’d sign chapman up, not sure about Payne due to being lightweight and small without blistering pace. Neat and tidy but not sure about champ standard. Need bigger stronger players like Wigan have with power, Egyptian guy, Powell. 

Just now, Gav said:

Raya wasn't at fault for either goal today, to let the ball travel so far for Wigans second was the defences fault.

Raya's a decent keeper and is the least of our worries.

I agree about the goals. I remember  " the pensioner " putting a similar free kick from the other wing past Man Utd's goalie when we beat them 2-1 at Old Trafford a few years ago. If your defenders don't react by the time the ball gets through to the goalie his reaction time is next to nil. 

Don't think Corey Evans had a bad game to be honest- I think he's a good player, infact we really lost our grip on the game when he went off, taking off a centre mid for a striker leaving just one natural centre midfielder on the pitch wasn't a right good decision in my opinion..

1 hour ago, OJRovers said:

We've certainly 'rattled' Shrewsbury and Wigan on their visits to Ewood. Both have had players showing arrogance and petulance probably because they've been at the top all season and can see they've let us back into it.

The ref was conned all game by Wigan, the worst being the number 5 who has rolling around in agony until he saw the ref booking Evans, promptly jumped up and jogged off.

Powell is in the Dean Henderson bracket of Man Utd youth, feels he's above playing in League 1.

Or just in the same bracket of so many players presently or formerly associated with United. Arrogant.

Despite trying (and mostly succeeding) to keep a lid on expressing it I never trusted Marshall and look how how he behaved. Never been a club with so many unpleasant people affiliated. I don't trust Evans either especially with his suspicious injury tendencies. Still an improvement on Lowe though lol! I can't believe Thenodrog was saying elsewhere that Whittingham is worse than Lowe. That's laughable Whittingham's had a better career than him in every single way possible. Maybe he's not been exceptional since joining but to say he's worse than Lowe is so insulting it defies belief. Theno actually thinks Lowe's good!

Just now, Lie_still_Rover said:

Don't think Corey Evans had a bad game to be honest- I think he's a good player, infact we really lost our grip on the game when he went off, taking off a centre mid for a striker leaving just one natural centre midfielder on the pitch wasn't a right good decision in my opinion..

He isnt a winner - a very important attribute to have and often overlooked by managers. Is there any way of finding out what his rovers career win rate is when he starts a game. I suspect it not great. 

When Morsy hacked at Dack, but he stayed on his feet, was a crucial moment.

If he goes down, Morsy is off, picked the right pass, but the chance was wasted, a 3 v 2.

Dare I say it, 3-1 it’s game over, 11 v 10 it’s game over.

On the balance a draw the right result.

36 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

For me neither nyambe or raya are up to scratch for a champ team. Also cut our losses on Evans, Williams, downing, Nuttall, Conway and Smallwood isn’t a starter, squad player in the ilk of lee Williamson. Another season and graham might be done too, lot of work to be done. I’d sign chapman up, not sure about Payne due to being lightweight and small without blistering pace. Neat and tidy but not sure about champ standard. Need bigger stronger players like Wigan have with power, Egyptian guy, Powell. 

Yes, Wigan looked ready made for the Championship - big, strong, well organised. Should do well. Rovers look like dilettantes by comparison and are certainly not in the image of Mowbray who was a hard as nails defender in his playing days 

Archived