BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] THE BATTLE FOR PROMOTION....WON.

6 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

With all this Wembley for sale talk, there was a piece in one of the papers about how 'new' Wembley has become a less hallowed place, for many reasons, but one being how something like 80 odd of the 92 clubs have played there.

We are in a club who's members are diminishing each year!

I definitely didn't want us to play there this year! 

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think  you will find that the playoffs coincided with the reduction in teams as there were 3 auto relegated and 2 auto promoted to reduce the top flight by 1, plus the play off between the 4th from bottom and 3rd 4th and 5th which would not alter the numbers in either league. This was done twice. However the top flight soon went back to 22 teams for a few seasons. The primary aim of the playoffs were to promoted prolonged interest as the league programme became stale after february. It was the best idea the league ever had has now teams down to 10th can have their season mean something right to the end.

10 hours ago, Rover_Shaun said:

I think  you will find that the playoffs coincided with the reduction in teams as there were 3 auto relegated and 2 auto promoted to reduce the top flight by 1, plus the play off between the 4th from bottom and 3rd 4th and 5th which would not alter the numbers in either league. This was done twice. However the top flight soon went back to 22 teams for a few seasons. The primary aim of the playoffs were to promoted prolonged interest as the league programme became stale after february. It was the best idea the league ever had has now teams down to 10th can have their season mean something right to the end.

From the Football League management notes regarding the introduction of the play offs.

“In order to make a fair and equitable transition, rather than relegate four clubs and promote two, there would be a staggered promotion and relegation, supplemented by a system of play-offs…Initially the play-offs would operate for two years, but if they proved popular with spectators they could become a permanent part of the calendar.”

8 hours ago, perthblue02 said:

From the Football League management notes regarding the introduction of the play offs.

“In order to make a fair and equitable transition, rather than relegate four clubs and promote two, there would be a staggered promotion and relegation, supplemented by a system of play-offs…Initially the play-offs would operate for two years, but if they proved popular with spectators they could become a permanent part of the calendar.”

✋ I hold my hand up. But I stand by the opinion that they were not introduced to make money and a popular by product was the increasing interest in each league, until the bitter end. Hence they remained, endured and thrived.

They are the greatest ever rule change ever introduced into football. Yes cynicism has been introduced over Wembley finals especially at the new complete mess karbuncle sh1thole they built but they were developed in a less lucrative era when the game was for the masses. Even back then, as a teen, I was not initially a fan until they removed too flight clubs.

A chucklesome by product is the girly bitching of the fans of the 3rd place clubs especially those oddballs who were born after 86 hence have never known 3 up 3 down.

4 hours ago, renrag said:

Shaun we both have our views on the play offs. Yours is based on the undisputed fact that it brings more excitement to the top half of the league, mine that it makes a mockery of the whole concept of a league system.

To take them a step further, what would you say to them also being introduced to determine the third relegation place? This would obviously bring more excitement for the whole league, but would it be right?

I'd do it.

Bottom 2 down, 3rd plays 4th for the final spot. Loser over 2 legs relegated.

50 minutes ago, speeeeeeedie said:

I'd do it.

Bottom 2 down, 3rd plays 4th for the final spot. Loser over 2 legs relegated.

Bottom 2 down - next 4 playoff just like promotion. Would make the League very "interesting"... ??

(Football stopped being a sport in my eyes a while ago - now it's all about entertainment, drama och "the show" so what the hell...)

• Backroom
1 hour ago, Roverthechimp said:

Bottom 2 down - next 4 playoff just like promotion. Would make the League very "interesting"... ??

(Football stopped being a sport in my eyes a while ago - now it's all about entertainment, drama och "the show" so what the hell...)

As much as I like the idea, where would the 'Final' be played? Wembley is for prizes.

• J*B unpinned this topic

I'm pretty certain that belief of a team with momentum making a late surge for 6th being most likely to win playoffs is an urban myth.

The data says team that finished third most often gets promoted, which is why I'm going for.....er.... Middlesbrough from championship.

It's cos I hate Pulis and he'd do it just to spite me.

Archived