BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] THE BATTLE FOR PROMOTION....WON.

16 minutes ago, Rover_Shaun said:

But how many have we drawn? Draws kill promotions.

10, 6 of those at home.

One was a 0-0

We scored first in just 4 of our drawn games, but that shown fight back in 5.

Goals by Dack helped us to at least 5 of our score draws. Plus his assists!

We have drawn too many.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, Rover_Shaun said:

But how many have we drawn? Draws kill promotions.

When we have gone 1-0 up we have won 19 and drawn 4 (lost none). That is the form of champions. I know stats can be misleading but this notion that TM teams can't hold on to points is a fallacy 

27 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Should be , but there is some issue there. Is it a young keeper? The fact we now have 2 players who were originally midfielders playing center half? A center back playing left back? It is undoubtedly an area that needs addressing during the summer. Hopefully our firepower is enough to get us out of this league 

Agreed.

As an ex CB it has suprised me that TM ignored our defensive weaknesses and thought we could just score our way out.

Anyway I hope we can and as you say strenghten defensively come summer.

3 hours ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

It's obvious we concede far too many times. Our defensive frailties haven't been addressed in 7 years. The only manager in memory that brought some resemblance of defensive stability was Lambert and that was at the expense of any forward thinking football.

Mulgrew is a good centre back but he's a midfielder turned CB through age and injuries. The bottom line is that we need a born and bred commanding centre half. Two centre mids turned centre half, coupled with Downing or Williams, simply isn't the answer. 

Defence over the last six years hasnt been that bad .

Goals conceded record.

17/18   3rd best/18 sides worse

16/17   17th best/7 sides worse (relegated)

15/16   8th best/16 sides worse 

14/15   10th best/14 sides worse

13/14   12th best/12 sides worse

12/13   12th best/12 sides worse.

This season we re 3rd best which puts us in a decent position for promotion.

Even when relegated last season there was seven sides who conceded more than us.

On ‎07‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 10:22, philipl said:

The issue of multiple games being played in a short period of timing is not so much a lack of core athletic fitness or stamina because they should be super fit and training can be adjusted but the accumulation of cuts, bruises and strains which don't have the chance to heal properly before the next match. Carrying a niggle into a game also increases the chances of mis-timed tackles or temper tantrums and hence red cards. The Wigan lot didn't look particularly self-contained or disciplined  on Sunday.

Wigan playing all those games over three months would yield a promotion sealing points haul and at least a 50% chance of an FA Cup semi-final. Playing them in a two month period makes it more of a lottery

Listened to Andy Bayes and Ian battersby on BBc lancs on Monday night.   Battersby said we had now conceded more at home than away and if we had even matched Wigan & Shrews in the goals against column in Home games we would be away and gone by now.

Battersby also thought 7 wins from last 10 would see us get automatic because it would leave Shrews needing to win 8 and draw 3  of their 12 remaining games to get past us based on goal difference.

I have to say listening to them I tended to agree with what they were saying.   

I don't have a link but you can listen live to any BBC local radio station on I player. Radio, find local radio and you get a list of every local BBC radio station to choose from so if you know a programme is coming up you can listen. Or through your tv box usually too

4 hours ago, Oldgregg86 said:

Any links. I can never find the station or any way of listening to it but frequently see people posting sound bites and commenting on here.

I use the BBC iPlayer Radio app avaiable from Google Play Store.

Follow Gumboots guidance for finding local radio stations.

Also at:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio

You can look back quite a while for playbacks.

43 minutes ago, MGPensioner said:

IMG_0011.thumb.JPG.15c2c647ad23f74c091a54e208b5a90e.JPG

This made me think of Tony.

10 games to save our club.

Last season's failure could easily be blamed on the previous idiot.

DO NOT FAIL AGAIN !!!

The "10 games to save our club" is a bit like the predictions that the Elton concert wouldn't take place  - FAKE NEWS.  In  10 games time the season is over and another season will begin in August and we will either be a Championship club or a League One club but it will start again.

Quite true parson.  I don't often agree with you but some of the overdramatics on here recently have been incredible.  anyone would think were already relegated to league 2 or out of business.  The first won't happen and theres little evidence to suggest the second will either.  

50 minutes ago, gumboots said:

Quite true parson.  I don't often agree with you but some of the overdramatics on here recently have been incredible.  anyone would think were already relegated to league 2 or out of business.  The first won't happen and theres little evidence to suggest the second will either.  

MGPensioner aside where else has there been any overdramatics? There's definitely a few cases of people misquoting the entire messageboard based on 1 or 2 infrequent posters.

18 hours ago, HowieFive0 said:

Defence over the last six years hasnt been that bad .

Goals conceded record.

17/18   3rd best/18 sides worse

16/17   17th best/7 sides worse (relegated)

15/16   8th best/16 sides worse 

14/15   10th best/14 sides worse

13/14   12th best/12 sides worse

12/13   12th best/12 sides worse.

This season we re 3rd best which puts us in a decent position for promotion.

Even when relegated last season there was seven sides who conceded more than us.

It is no surprise we were best in 15/16 with PL in charge for half a season. We really looked a solid outfit at the back in those last months of the season.

12th best in both 12/13 and 13/14 saw us throw away any promotion chances we had as our attacking side was constantly dismantled. I don't consider 12th best as not that bad, especially as if you look at the results over those years we could have at least made play offs with a defence that was capable of maintaining clean sheets.

This season our defence hasn't been a title-winning defence, unlike Wigan's in the early part of the season. Our goals against column against theirs is indication we haven't been solid enough. It is only through our recent attacking prowess that we've managed to maintain a title challenge.

• Backroom
52 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

MGPensioner aside where else has there been any overdramatics? There's definitely a few cases of people misquoting the entire messageboard based on 1 or 2 infrequent posters.

No, there seems to be a serious problem with perception in long standing, usually sensible posters on here recently, taking posts from a very small minority and extrapolating it to the entire MB or fanbase. 

So I didn't read a number of posters on the Wigan thread stating we'd blown our chances of automatic promotion because we drew with Wigan? My mistake. Blame it on the fact I was abroad at the time and not concentrating properly. I'm not suggesting that everyone overreacts but that you can certainly find more than the odd poster indulging in it. 

2 hours ago, gumboots said:

So I didn't read a number of posters on the Wigan thread stating we'd blown our chances of automatic promotion because we drew with Wigan? My mistake. Blame it on the fact I was abroad at the time and not concentrating properly. I'm not suggesting that everyone overreacts but that you can certainly find more than the odd poster indulging in it. 

I think there's a big difference between saying it's now out of our hands to saying we'd blown it. 

1 hour ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

I think there's a big difference between saying it's now out of our hands to saying we'd blown it. 

“Out of our hands” suggests all three teams are likely to win all there games until the end of the season. It’s completely over the top, especially when both Wigan and Shrewsbury have dropped 8 points in there last 6 games.

6 minutes ago, Biz said:

“Out of our hands” suggests all three teams are likely to win all there games until the end of the season. It’s completely over the top, especially when both Wigan and Shrewsbury have dropped 8 points in there last 6 games.

I take 'out of our hands' as meaning if all three of us won every game we would be the ones to miss out. Unlikely in reality but feasible.

1 hour ago, Biz said:

But it is out of our hands when it comes to it. You are right in saying it's unlikely but however unlikely it may be we have put ourselves in a position where we could still miss out on automatic promotion if we win all our remaining games. Whereas if we'd held onto the 2-0 lead at home it would, in every sense of the word, be in our hands.

Hardly over the top. "10 games to save our club" is over the top. Admitting the reality of our situation isn't.

5 hours ago, gumboots said:

Hell man - we know you were abroad - you tell us that in every damn post. We get it , you was travelling all over the world and we are so in awe....

27 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

But it is out of our hands when it comes to it. You are right in saying it's unlikely but however unlikely it may be we have put ourselves in a position where we could still miss out on automatic promotion if we win all our remaining games. Whereas if we'd held onto the 2-0 lead at home it would, in every sense of the word, be in our hands.

Hardly over the top. "10 games to save our club" is over the top. Admitting the reality of our situation isn't.

The reality is we are in a fantastic position to return first time.

Couldve been marginally better, probably should’ve been a lot worse. Mathematically possible it might be, to finish third with 100+ points but likely it isn’t. I wouldn’t be frustrated by our season, if that’s what occurred. I couldn’t be to critical considering.

20 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

Hell man - we know you were abroad - you tell us that in every damn post. We get it , you was travelling all over the world and we are so in awe....

I haven't been all over the world. I was very fortunate to be able to make one trip.  I don't expect anyone to be in awe. My good fortune does not make me in any way superior nor does it make my opinion less valid. In my opinion there is too much over reaction to last week's poor result around recently. I may be misreading things because I haven't read everything and I currently don't attend matches or read in as much detail as I did a few years ago. However it's about perceptions and opinions and from what I have read certain posters, not all but enough to be noticeable, are playing the doom and gloom card after one draw with the team who have been at or near the top of the table for most of the season. 

Oh and last time I looked I definitely wasn't a man. 

Fair bit of complacency here around what could happen if we fail to get promotion. Venkys steadied the ship have they? Learned the error of their ways? Gradually funding our way back to the top?

I do not believe it!

Let's hope we do get promoted and never have to find out!

Archived