BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] THE BATTLE FOR PROMOTION....WON.

Personally I dont think they've learnt anything other than perhaps to allow someone who actually knows a bit about football do his job, for the moment at least. Do I trust them? Definitely not. Do I realise we're only ever potentially one daft decision from disaster? Of course I do. For the time being its going OK. Not great but OK. Like you and most others I'm hoping it goes well enough and that at the end of the season we all have cause to celebrate. Will it be a smooth run? I doubt it, but I sincerely hope it's a good one

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 hours ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

MGPensioner aside where else has there been any overdramatics? There's definitely a few cases of people misquoting the entire messageboard based on 1 or 2 infrequent posters.

Every time we lose (once in 25), draw or people don’t agree with team selection and/or substitutions. Generally speaking between KO and FT!!!!!

1 hour ago, Paul said:

Every time we lose (once in 25), draw or people don’t agree with team selection and/or substitutions. Generally speaking between KO and FT!!!!!

Pretty sure that’s mandatory, Paul.

14 hours ago, gumboots said:

Personally I do think they've learnt anything other than perhaps to allow someone who actually knows a bit about football do his job, for the moment at least. Do I trust them? Definitely not. Do I realise we're only ever potentially one daft decision from disaster? Of course I do. For the time being its going OK. Not great but OK. Like you and most others I'm hoping it goes well enough and that at the end of the season we all have cause to celebrate. Will it be a smooth run? I doubt it, but I sincerely hope it's a good one

It's a shame you are not going this season. I'm sure you would enjoy watching the flair of Dack, Armstrong and Payne and the solidarity of Mulgrew and Lenihan but in any case please keep posting. Your intelligent posts would be welcome on ANY forum. Don't take any notice of the negative posts you sometimes get on here.

I might have come back but I always seem to be busy on Saturdays nowadays. It's like they say. When you get out of the habit and the rest of your life expands to fill the space it's hard to get back into it. Just at the moment I'm enjoying choosing what I do on Saturdays, whether it's here at home or elsewhere. In a year or 2 I may find that my other options are more limited and I'll find space for Rovers again. I still get extremely nervous watching for the results wherever I am and whatever I'm doing so I haven't lost the bug. It's just that, unlike when I was working, I don't have to be around here as much , and with my family growing, and becoming increasingly separated geographically, I need time for them as well as trying to cram in travelling we couldn't previously do because of my husbands crippling fear of flying. 

38 minutes ago, Rover_Shaun said:

If only the centre backs had solidity too, we'd be in the position where our promotion was all but rubber-stamped.

Sadly we're only top of the league and looking good for promotion at this state :rolleyes: 

I'm sure a good win today will send a few posters back into hibernation.

COYB

10 minutes ago, Gav said:

Sadly we're only top of the league and looking good for promotion at this state :rolleyes: 

COYB

A good win and I’ll be delighted.

But a win is the minimum target for one of our final home games of the season.

All eyes on Bradford v Wigan on Wednesday night. A long way to go, but every little helps, and I wonder if Scunny might be the start of Wigan squandering their theoretical advantage. Between the two, Shrewsbury are looking the more likely than Wigan, as they continue to prove most wrong, time and time again.

Clearly I understand the maths behind “it’s no longer in our hands” but I don’t agree with the view. 

For my money we are top of the league, five points clear of Shrewsbury, eight clear of Wigan. It’s our job to keep winning and stay top and theirs to catch us. For me this puts it in our hands.

If Wigan fail to win on Wednesday and Rovers can beat Gillingham, no mean feat, we will be 10 points clear, possibly 11. If Rovers are 11 clear by 5.00pm next Saturday, Wigan will have to win all four games they will have in hand. I feel a loss on Wednesday for Wigan will put us in fantastic position.

Should it go this way promotion will be ours to throw away. 

It's not hard. Basic math. We 'can' win every game  yet still end up in the playoffs. Extremely unlikely as we'll fail to win every game but so will the other two.

But thanks to last Sunday's capitulation promotion is still very much 'out of our hands, untill the other two drop some more points. It's not pedantic but the cold harsh reality no matter how much that statement of fact may annoy you ? even if we are favourites.

As you say hopefully it won't be a fact for too long as Wigan will lose and we will win ?

Assuming the Doncaster game is on we have two exceptionally tough games coming up with Gillingham next Saturday. Both of these teams gave us tough games at Ewood and I think we will have to play well to win these. Undoubtedly there will be many twists and turns but by winning games we will keep the pressure on Shrewsbury and Wigan.

47 minutes ago, Rover_Shaun said:

It's not hard. Basic math. We 'can' win every game  yet still end up in the playoffs. Extremely unlikely as we'll fail to win every game but so will the other two.

But thanks to last Sunday's capitulation promotion is still very much 'out of our hands, untill the other two drop some more points. It's not pedantic but the cold harsh reality no matter how much that statement of fact may annoy you ? even if we are favourites.

As you say hopefully it won't be a fact for too long as Wigan will lose and we will win ?

Just playing devil’s advocate (since I agree with you) but if we win all of our games, we will achieve 103 points which would be the highest L1 total in the 21st century. (Joint with Wolves in 2014).

Anyone who beats that would be the best ever L1 side and rightly deserve to go up.

On 3/10/2018 at 05:48, gumboots said:

I haven't been all over the world. I was very fortunate to be able to make one trip.  I don't expect anyone to be in awe. My good fortune does not make me in any way superior nor does it make my opinion less valid. In my opinion there is too much over reaction to last week's poor result around recently. I may be misreading things because I haven't read everything and I currently don't attend matches or read in as much detail as I did a few years ago. However it's about perceptions and opinions and from what I have read certain posters, not all but enough to be noticeable, are playing the doom and gloom card after one draw with the team who have been at or near the top of the table for most of the season. 

Oh and last time I looked I definitely wasn't a man. 

Look again

7 hours ago, Gav said:

COYB

Manager of the year according to you.

Shrewsbury are not easing up and Wigan have enough games in hand to have another blip and still go above us.

We have just got to keep on grounding out those wins. Yesterday counts for nothing if we don't collect maximum points at Gillingham and Doncaster.

By the way, Rochdale outplayed Rotherham for most of the 90 minutes yesterday and their 1-0 away win was well deserved. Both Shrewsbury and Wigan have to go to Spotland yet. They could be the wild card near the bottom who upend the top of the table while battling relegation.

Fleetwood also unlucky not getting a win but they brought Plymouth's seven wins on the trot to an end.

Good stat in the LT match verdict:

‘Their numbers are impressive. No team in the EFL has more points than Rovers, Luton are the only team to have scored more and only Championship leaders Wolves can boast more victories. No team has lost fewer.’

Just shows that the Shrewsbury factor is preventing us feeling much more relaxed.

Archived