BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] THE BATTLE FOR PROMOTION....WON.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, MGPensioner said:

Hello Gav

Tony (our most credible and likeable manager in a while) has said he is gone if he fails to get us up.

I doubt many fans particularly want that scenario where our owners are in the market for a new messiah post season (or worse - mid pre-season).

It is critical that he gets us up, stays on and carries on the good work which I think is almost universally recognised.

However if he fails he will go (he said it) and that will be the correct thing all things considered. Failure 2 seasons running is failure 2 seasons running.

Mike (our financial director) has said there will need to be the "slash and burn cuts", that were not implemented this season. The owners were convinced to support Tony this season.

Nobody should forget the classified reports from KPMG and Deloitte still lurking in someone's drawer.

Neither are bunkum or without foundation. Both are factual statements made by the club. I was there as were many others on this MB.

We can presume the higher profile players who stayed this season will also leave and loanees will go back, replaced by lesser versions. This is a fair prediction - hardly bunkum but OK, without foundation.

I imagine most would prefer promotion and the hope that exciting young players like Chapman, Armstrong etc may be enticed to sign for us.

The sum total means the club will regress further under the present ownership.

The blueprint for the next few seasons is already written with what went on in the Championship, ultimately ending up with us in the Third division. There is a Fourth you know.

So it is 9 games left for Tony to save our club. We all hope he does ! HE MUST !!

Hello Biz

Please feel free to hit the confused button. I hear it is a badge of honour (even in Burnley) ;)

A good number of those on here wanted to roll the Venky dice 12 games in. Your prediction would have been a good deal closer to coming true if that had happened.

The trouble is you are the latest in a long line of voices of doom, Mercerman making countless predictions of imminent closure. If we don’t go up things will get harder, as they will for Wigan if they don’t go up and as they did for us when we didn’t go back up in 1967.

Personally I’m glad we have jettisoned virtually all the vastly overpaid wasters we have been plagued with since Venky’s rocked up. And if a year in League 1 was the price of doing that, I think it’s a bargain. I like the bulk of Tony’s squad, I think we have the core of a team that could get a lot better. So for those reasons I really really hope we go up. 

14 hours ago, Mike E said:

Precisely why the much-maligned MGPensioner is spot on with his 'x games to save the club' schtik.

If we don't go up this season, we lose the spine of our team and the loans won't come back. That in itself would make Mowbray walk.

We NEED to go back up.

It's not impossible that would happen, on the other hand, everyone including myself thought after the relegation that the owners would fail to back Mowbray, he would walk and all the big earners would leave.

Surprisingly exactly the opposite happened so who knows what will happen should we fail to go up? 

Also, I refuse to contemplate anything other than automatic promotion at this stage, but I'm not certain if I would particularly want TM to stay as manager if we don't go up. 

Hopefully such deliberations will not need to be made and we'll all be celebrating in a few weeks time.

3 hours ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Not arsed about Elton John to be truthful. I'm on about Rovers.

What are the "rest of his unfounded predictions"?

Well for one, read the post by MGP above, and point out where the word “save” is relevant.

Save means to stop something from dying, breaking or disappearing in my view.

Maybe a third division BRFC outfit is “dead” to him, but for my mind - staying in this league would be a dramatic let down/frustrating scenario - but not the death knell or end of the club.

The constant pessimism, the absolute focus on negatives, I mean; if you read MGP’s content in the match threads, it’s seemingly always “Wigan/Shrewsbury are winning”, and never even relevant to our own players.

All this smacks of someone intent on winding up (what’s left of) Rovers fans.

7 hours ago, JHRover said:

The thing with idiots and unfit owners is that they are likely to repeat past mistakes having not learnt lessons from them. Especially when those running the club (Pasha) have no football background.

That's ultimately the very reason we're in this league now.

The last time they 'bankrolled' a promotion push which ended in failure they sold everyone of value, refused to reinvest, and appointed another clown to be manager.

I really do wonder why anyone has any faith that they won't do something similar this time round should we fail to go up. Yes they've returned to 'normality' by leaving Mowbray to get on with it and backed him in the market, they did the same with Gary Bowyer for a while.

Promotion is imperative, for all sorts of reasons, and I don't expect it will be as simple as dusting ourselves down and going again next season should we fail.

I’m not sure what relevance this has to the constant prediction that the club will cease to exist if we aren’t promoted.

It doesn’t take a weekly reminder to know another year with lower income = a trickier return. You don’t have to explain that JHR, but you could explain the rationale behind defending the constant nonsense that comes from MGP.

4 hours ago, MGPensioner said:

Hello Gav

Tony (our most credible and likeable manager in a while) has said he is gone if he fails to get us up.

I doubt many fans particularly want that scenario where our owners are in the market for a new messiah post season (or worse - mid pre-season).

It is critical that he gets us up, stays on and carries on the good work which I think is almost universally recognised.

However if he fails he will go (he said it) and that will be the correct thing all things considered. Failure 2 seasons running is failure 2 seasons running.

Mike (our financial director) has said there will need to be the "slash and burn cuts", that were not implemented this season. The owners were convinced to support Tony this season.

Nobody should forget the classified reports from KPMG and Deloitte still lurking in someone's drawer.

Neither are bunkum or without foundation. Both are factual statements made by the club. I was there as were many others on this MB.

We can presume the higher profile players who stayed this season will also leave and loanees will go back, replaced by lesser versions. This is a fair prediction - hardly bunkum but OK, without foundation.

I imagine most would prefer promotion and the hope that exciting young players like Chapman, Armstrong etc may be enticed to sign for us.

The sum total means the club will regress further under the present ownership.

The blueprint for the next few seasons is already written with what went on in the Championship, ultimately ending up with us in the Third division. There is a Fourth you know.

So it is 9 games left for Tony to save our club. We all hope he does ! HE MUST !!

Hello Biz

Please feel free to hit the confused button. I hear it is a badge of honour (even in Burnley) ;)

Well that's at least a reasoned response instead of the usual, so I for one appreciate that.

But it's nothing more than speculation and conjecture in my opinion, the sort of stuff that's been posted on here for years, some by me might I add, that has been found to be way off the mark.

If we fail to go up we go again, players will leave, manager may leave also, but it's not doomsday as you keep predicting MG.

But you're entitled to your opinion.

8 hours ago, Gav said:

Not 1 person on this site has any idea what the Owners next move will be, that's been proven time and time again over the past 7 seasons, so quite why posters are queuing up to take over from mystic Meg now and predict the future is a strange one?

We all know what could happen, but biz is right, this save the club stuff is just bunkum, without foundation, and boring to read for those reasons alone.

Page 3. You were predicting administration 12 months ago after the 'disastrous' appointment of Mowbray. You change your tune more than a karaoke machine.

2 hours ago, Biz said:

I’m not sure what relevance this has to the constant prediction that the club will cease to exist if we aren’t promoted.

It doesn’t take a weekly reminder to know another year with lower income = a trickier return. You don’t have to explain that JHR, but you could explain the rationale behind defending the constant nonsense that comes from MGP.

Don't think I'm defending the idea that the club will 'cease to exist' if we aren't promoted.

My rationale is to look at what these cretins have done in the past and use that as a yardstick for what is likely to happen in future. 

We've been here before where they allow a year or so of substantial spending and back a nice bloke as manager, then it all came crashing down because the target was missed and they wanted to claw cash back.

I think it that is the most likely outcome should we fail to go up, because the club isn't built on solid foundations. I think those telling themselves everything is going to be happy ever after because we've got Mowbray and that Venkys have learned how to run a football club are being optimistic.

19 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

Page 3. You were predicting administration 12 months ago after the 'disastrous' appointment of Mowbray. You change your tune more than a karaoke machine.

I said above on this very thread, about me second guessing the owners and getting it wrong, maybe you're struggling to read in your haste to pull up threads from years back  :rolleyes:

We can all play that game blueboy, but I'd wager most of us have better things to do you sad.......

Just now, Gav said:

I said above on this very thread, about me second guessing the owners and getting it wrong, maybe you're struggling to read in your haste to pull up threads from years back  :rolleyes:

We can all play that game blueboy.

You've done it many times, Gav.

I'm glad you've changed your mind about administration and Mowbray being a 'disaster'. :rolleyes: 

2 minutes ago, JHRover said:

I think those telling themselves everything is going to be happy ever after because we've got Mowbray and that Venkys have learned how to run a football club are being optimistic.

I would say a huge percentage, if not all fans are aware of the higher percentage (compared to decent owners)of a potential cock up around the corner. I don’t think anyone is telling themselves anything like what you suggest. Some might be more optimistic than 12 months ago, but I’d argue that’s just natural with positive results.

After all, its a results business. If they drop again at any point, we know what the overall change will be; more backwards steps, more good players replaced cheaply and more switching off the club.

You originally quoted me on what I asked you before, why defend MGP’s now “famous” catchphrase? 

Nothing personal against anyone on this website, the problem is with content, and as you can see I’m not the only one who finds this (as the kids would say) annoying AF. 

6 hours ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

A good number of those on here wanted to roll the Venky dice 12 games in. Your prediction would have been a good deal closer to coming true if that had happened.

The trouble is you are the latest in a long line of voices of doom, Mercerman making countless predictions of imminent closure. If we don’t go up things will get harder, as they will for Wigan if they don’t go up and as they did for us when we didn’t go back up in 1967.

Personally I’m glad we have jettisoned virtually all the vastly overpaid wasters we have been plagued with since Venky’s rocked up. And if a year in League 1 was the price of doing that, I think it’s a bargain. I like the bulk of Tony’s squad, I think we have the core of a team that could get a lot better. So for those reasons I really really hope we go up. 

I'm not one to stick for the dastardly @MGPensioner but the predictions he mentions did come from the club. If we don't go up I'd imagine we'll be down amongst the League 1 and 2 deadmen for a number of years.

1 minute ago, blueboy3333 said:

You've done it many times, Gav

I'm glad you've changed your mind about administration and Mowbray being a 'disaster'. :rolleyes: 

If you're going to make accusations then you'll need to them up? Link? 

You've come on here tonight to purposly derail this thread for some reason, had one to many this afternoon maybe?

Just now, Biz said:

I would say a huge percentage, if not all fans are aware of the higher percentage (compared to decent owners)of a potential cock up around the corner. I don’t think anyone is telling themselves anything like what you suggest. Some might be more optimistic than 12 months ago, but I’d argue that’s just natural with positive results.

After all, its a results business. If they drop again at any point, we know what the overall change will be; more backwards steps, more good players replaced cheaply and more switching off the club.

You originally quoted me on what I asked you before, why defend MGP’s now “famous” catchphrase? 

Nothing personal against anyone on this website, the problem is with content, and as you can see I’m not the only one who finds this (as the kids would say) annoying AF. 

I wasn't aware I had defended his catchphrase.

To sum up - failure to get promoted I do not believe will spell the end for the club - it will still be here in one form or another - but I expect it will likely result in a short to medium term decline and rapid drop along similar lines as we had in the Championship. My reasons for that are based on what we have witnessed since 2013.

In my view if that happened it would be a disaster for this club.

4 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

I'm not one to stick for the dastardly @MGPensioner but the predictions he mentions did come from the club. If we don't go up I'd imagine we'll be down amongst the League 1 and 2 deadmen for a number of years.

So, more save MG from having to watch lower league footy than save our club

Just now, JHRover said:

I wasn't aware I had defended his catchphrase.

To sum up - failure to get promoted I do not believe will spell the end for the club - it will still be here in one form or another - but I expect it will likely result in a short to medium term decline and rapid drop along similar lines as we had in the Championship. My reasons for that are based on what we have witnessed since 2013.

In my view if that happened it would be a disaster for this club.

Agreed.

Can I add, since we are 100m+ in debt to our owners and unlikely to touch the top of that via liquidation- they’d probably pay all bills whilst cutting costs to match failing income.

So the notion we have “x games to save the club” is a gross overstatement...

Perhaps Suhail Slayer should use “x games to save us from another 46 games of Trevor Kettles...”

3 minutes ago, Gav said:

If you're going to make accusations then you'll need to them up? Link? 

You've come on here tonight to purposly derail this thread for some reason, had one to many this afternoon maybe?

Says the man accusing people of being 'boring' for saying we could go into Admin or worse even though you said the same yourself 12 months ago. You're priceless. I'll drink to that.

Archived