BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] THE BATTLE FOR PROMOTION....WON.

20 minutes ago, darrenrover said:

I detest MG's continual rhetoric but understand the underlying message and would struggle to come up with a counter argument.

He doesn't have an underlying message darren, or at least not one that's not been peddled for the past 7 seasons?

Why would anyone believe failure this season will be any worse than failure any other season?

I guess the MG's of this world will eventually get it right, but we have no reason to believe it'll be this season rather than any other do we?

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

Jolly good. Will you all be funding another tilt at promotion?

Supporters tend to support their club be it challenging for promotion, stuck in mid-table or fighting relegation.  It's irrelevant whether it's Premier League or non-League, it's why grounds have supporters in week in and week out.  It's what being a football supporter is all about - the good times, the bad times and the majority of times which are just average.  

I've had a £10 charity bet with Mikey Delap we end up playing league one football next year. The games in hand we all previously said where the secret weapon now belong to Wigan and Shrewsbury aren't slowing down. If it goes to the play offs I saw enough at the Wigan game to be confident this team is capable of bottling it when the pressure is on.

2 hours ago, AdamRochina said:

Yeah they are Tom . . I've seen them a few times. Portsmouth one of them .blatant handball one of the most blatant not given as a penalty to Pompey after Pompey dominated changed the game as Shrewsbury scored shortly after ..search it.. few things gone in shrewsburys favour this season been dominated in a lot of games but scabbed a 1 nil . Yeah they are up there on some merit but alot of it is pure luck

With all due respect, you're talking absolute cobblers there. If we'd have beaten Wigan, none of the above  woul matter. Secondly as regatds today's game both sides had an hour to win it after Morris missed his penalty. Scunthorpe didn't, Shrewsbury did enough to overturn a one goal deficit and win. Who's to say they wouldn't have done enough to overturn a two goal deficit and win? We'll never know. 

Either way, luck doesn't come into it. They needed to win the game and did so.

20 minutes ago, Parsonblue said:

Supporters tend to support their club be it challenging for promotion, stuck in mid-table or fighting relegation.  It's irrelevant whether it's Premier League or non-League, it's why grounds have supporters in week in and week out.  It's what being a football supporter is all about - the good times, the bad times and the majority of times which are just average.  

Yeah, I understand that. Lots of people follow their team week after week, not just you and your mates. Promotion, however, would allow for bigger gates, more fans and hopefully more staff at the club. League 1 next season could well see a slash and burn policy, including more staff losing their jobs. You see, it's not just about you and your mates following their club in detached reverie, the stakes are much higher than that. Can you see the bigger picture?

• Backroom
5 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

People saying Shrewsbury are lucky IMO sound a bit churlish. If they do the same every week, that’s not luck....

Yep. Nothing to do with luck, it's just that us, Wigan and Shrewsbury are much better than every other team in this division. We've only lost 5 games the entire season despite playing like crap for the majority of it. Combined the three of us have lost 16 matches this season. Rotherham in 4th have lost 12 - more than us and Wigan or Shrewsbury combined. Portsmouth in 8th have lost 17, which is more than all three of us.

Ourselves and Wigan are far too good for this division. Shrewsbury are having a miracle season and all credit to their manager, players and staff for keeping pace with two teams who are far ahead financially and frankly embarrassing the rest of their peers in this league.

I genuinely hope the top three go up, regardless of which one of us ends up in the playoffs. Nobody else deserves promotion. Rotherham should be ashamed that they've lost double the amount of games that Shrewsbury have. Scunthorpe are 5th but haven't won any of their last five games. Plymouth are 6th despite being near the bottom not too long ago. 

Terrible teams everywhere, I want out of this league as soon as possible. Please make it so, TM.

Just now, DE. said:

Yep. Nothing to do with luck, it's just that us, Wigan and Shrewsbury are much better than every other team in this division. We've only lost 5 games the entire season despite playing like crap for the majority of it. Combined the three of us have lost 16 matches this season. Rotherham in 4th have lost 12 - more than us and Wigan or Shrewsbury combined. Portsmouth in 8th have lost 17, which is more than all three of us.

Ourselves and Wigan are far too good for this division. Shrewsbury are having a miracle season and all credit to their manager, players and staff for keeping pace with two teams who are far ahead financially and frankly embarrassing the rest of their peers in this league.

I genuinely hope the top three go up, regardless of which one of us ends up in the playoffs. Nobody else deserves promotion. Rotherham should be ashamed that they've lost double the amount of games that Shrewsbury have. Scunthorpe are 5th but haven't won any of their last five games. Plymouth are 6th despite being near the bottom not too long ago. 

Terrible teams everywhere, I want out of this league as soon as possible. Please make it so, TM.

I agree DE, all we need worry about is ourselves: if we do our absolute utmost to maximise our potential points haul in our final 9 games but Wigan and Shrewsbury still outdo us, then we should all gracefully dof our hat to them, they'd deserve to be top 2.

We need to get our blinkers on and focus on us and us alone. I've no doubt whatsoever that if we manage to do just that and remain focused on just us, we'll go up as champions.

I also hear what gav is saying but I consider it would be extremely naive to think if we don't go up we won't lose all our key players and have to literally start from scratch.

I get the thrill of the playoffs is good for the supporters, English fa etc but seasons like this show it to be completely unfair. Can’t a rule come in that if you finish in 3rd more than 10 points above next best there is no playoffs, joking of course but Blackburn rovers deserve a bit of a break, years of turmoil, imo pretty harsh relegation last season and this season a real possibility of non promotion from a record points total. Can understand the woe by me feelings from Blackburn supporters. That being said yes shrews are pretty annoying with breaks and Wigan arrogant, but need to mind they have both had cup runs to contend with also so terrific achievement from both of them. Any other year I’d be rooting for shrews 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

It's seems to be our luck recently. First we go down last season with a record points tally. Now we are in an unprecedented race for promotion where any other season we would be looking nailed on at this stage with our current points  total. Still, as we know, you can't write any team off, so, hopefully an underdog does us a favour before we play again. 

Also hopefully our players keep focused with such a long break. It's siege mentality time. We have to win every game. That starts with hard work and intensity from the off. No excuses 

Once again luck doesn't come into it. Points totals in other seasons are completely irrelevant. You still need to finish above two other teams and often if the teams at the top have a higher points total than normal its simply a reflection of the fact that the teams lower down haven't been as competitive.

It's rhe same for everyone though so if you don't finish in the top 2 in any particular season its because you haven't been good enoigh.

Cant believe the overreaction with seemingly a unanimous writing off of our top 2 chances after 1 game. Yes you could now say both of the other teams are slight favourites, especially Wigan, but with 9 games left Shrewsbury have 2 points less and a game more, it could hardly be more in the balance.

And not a fan of all the "lucky Shrewsbury" comments, they are battling at the top because like us and Wigan they deserve to be. Part of the DNA of a Rovers fan to love a refereeing comspiracy but the officials incompetence will benefit and harm all 3 teams at times, and the one who misses out will deserve to miss out. Simple as that.

Just keep winning as we have been and im sure we will have a very good chance. And im quite pessimistic.

43 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

Yeah, I understand that. Lots of people follow their team week after week, not just you and your mates. Promotion, however, would allow for bigger gates, more fans and hopefully more staff at the club. League 1 next season could well see a slash and burn policy, including more staff losing their jobs. You see, it's not just about you and your mates following their club in detached reverie, the stakes are much higher than that. Can you see the bigger picture?

The bigger picture is that clubs have good times and bad times.  Good times come and go as do bad times.  We've been going since 1875 and have experienced plenty of ups and downs.  There are no guarantees in football and yet there are some on here who seem to think we have a 'right' to promotion.  Ultimately, the teams who perform with the greatest consistency over 46 games will usually go up.  After 46 games the top two will deserve promotion irrespective of their budgets, size of gates or depth of squads.  If those things decided the promotion places Leeds wouldn't have spent three seasons at this level or Sheffield United six.

29 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Once again luck doesn't come into it. Points totals in other seasons are completely irrelevant. You still need to finish above two other teams and often if the teams at the top have a higher points total than normal its simply a reflection of the fact that the teams lower down haven't been as competitive.

It's rhe same for everyone though so if you don't finish in the top 2 in any particular season its because you haven't been good enoigh.

I agree. I was just pointing out that we never have it easy :)

1 minute ago, Rover_Shaun said:

Yep. You are right. Shit owner negate all of those things by spreading confusion, lack of leadership and division.

Oops, sorry. I forgot the mantra. Erm, It's all the natural swing of football.:huh:

You've got it Shaun - football swings between highs and lows for a variety of reasons but usually decisions made at the top in the boardroom impact on things.  This season, at long last, the decisions have been better and what we've seen on the pitch has been better.  

In normal circumstances yes. But this has been 8 years of imbecilic neglect. If not wanton and deliberate destruction. Not one iota of natural about it.

But I'm picking an old sore that 99.9% of fans know as the real reason why we are where we are. All we can do is win all our games. 

14 minutes ago, Parsonblue said:

The bigger picture is that clubs have good times and bad times.  Good times come and go as do bad times.  We've been going since 1875 and have experienced plenty of ups and downs.  There are no guarantees in football and yet there are some on here who seem to think we have a 'right' to promotion.  Ultimately, the teams who perform with the greatest consistency over 46 games will usually go up.  After 46 games the top two will deserve promotion irrespective of their budgets, size of gates or depth of squads.  If those things decided the promotion places Leeds wouldn't have spent three seasons at this level or Sheffield United six.

Theres a difference between having a right to promotion (which we dont) and having a right to be dissappointed in the hypothetical situation where we fail to meet our expectations of promotion, as echoed by the manager himself.

I feel like the feeling is if we have a "right to promotion" is often used to make some people to seem unreasonable for having anything other than apathy regardless of success and failure.

That said, the throwing in of the towel is staggering considering how tight it is. Plenty to play for and I have faith, amidst the usual fears that come with being a Rovers fan, that we can go up.

30 minutes ago, Parsonblue said:

It would have been quicker to say 'No, I can't see the bigger picture'.

20 minutes ago, Exiled in Toronto said:
22 minutes ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

I’m glad I wasn’t in the trenches with most of you lot. At worst one point in it vs Shrewsbury with a fifth of the season to go; we’ve gained more than a point in them over the last nine games. All to play for.

I’m glad I wasn’t in the trenches with most of you lot. At worst one point in it vs Shrewsbury with a fifth of the season to go; we’ve gained more than a point in them over the last nine games. All to play for.

We've made exactly 1 point on them over the last 9 games.

So using the flawed logic of an average universe we are 2 points on front with 9 to play so after those 9 we will be 3 points in front with Shrewsbury having a game in hand.

So promotion via goal difference? ??

Though we are going up anyway ?

15 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

It would have been quicker to say 'No, I can't see the bigger picture'.

So you know the solution of how to win every game?  You've missed your way.  You should be a football manager.

17 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

We've made exactly 1 point on them over the last 9 games.

Which would suggest that Shrewsbury are a pretty decent and consistent team who, if they finish in the top two, will fully deserve promotion.

Just now, Parsonblue said:

So you know the solution of how to win every game?  You've missed your way.  You should be a football manager.

It's been said before.  Meanwhile, you just resort to straw men arguments and are incapable/unwilling to acknowledge the potential seriousness of the situation if we don't go up.

Archived