BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] THE BATTLE FOR PROMOTION....WON.

3 hours ago, Paul said:

I never gamble so I’m just asking out of interest. How is it people can gamble on our rivals to win? All I want today is to see Wigan and Shrewsbury lose. I guess your ideal outcome would be for both to lose and to have a successful day betting?

Why not bet on other games then you’d get double the pleasure? Backing rivals to win is surely a waste as you can’t really want them to win?

Please don’t think I’m critical I simply don’t understand how people can effectively bet against their own team. 

If they win, I win money. If they lose  I am happier as rovers get an advantage. 

If wigan win and I don't have them backed, I get nothing. At least if I have a few bob on them, I can go and buy myself a new t shirt or trainers to cheer me up a bit :)

Surely that is simple to understand? 

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Paul said:

I never gamble so I’m just asking out of interest. How is it people can gamble on our rivals to win? All I want today is to see Wigan and Shrewsbury lose. I guess your ideal outcome would be for both to lose and to have a successful day betting?

Why not bet on other games then you’d get double the pleasure? Backing rivals to win is surely a waste as you can’t really want them to win?

Please don’t think I’m critical I simply don’t understand how people can effectively bet against their own team. 

I do it because it ever so slightly softens the blow when they win.

2 hours ago, rigger said:

If we are not third come five o clock, it will be a bonus. If we are third tonight, promotion is still in our hands.

Exactly how we have to look at it. Would of loved to have beaten Gillingham,  kept the pressure on but it was taken out of our hands. All Rovers have to do is worry about ourselves and we’ll be up.

6 hours ago, Paul said:

Well yes Stuart I do understand the logic but can’t understand why apply it!! I simply want Rovers to go up. I’m not sure how much money would outweigh that. It wouldn’t be £50 at 2/1. This means I want, utterly unrealistic, Wigan and Shrewsbury to get stuffed in every match to the end of the season. 

How could chucking away £50 every Saturday contribute to my pleasure? I really don’t get it. 

I do realise gambling is a pleasure for many but ultimately the goal must be to win not hope to lose?

I can't understand those who bet on exact scores where their own club is concerned either. I'll never forget someone moaning when Rovers were 4-1 up and pushing for a 5th because they bet on 4-1. Getting some compensation if Wigan/Shewsbury win seems almost logical compared to that. I wouldn't bet on certain clubs to win under any circumstances though. Wigan and Shrewsbury aren't on that list (which admittedly isn't very long) but it wouldn't seem right betting on them at the moment. Its a silly argument anyway should people bet on Bradford to win next week on that basis?

It depends how much money is placed. If you bet say 3p on Jason Lowe to score a hattrick and score first in a 7-0 win that's one thing. Any bets I make at £50 though are taken seriously not for fun.

Archived