BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] THE BATTLE FOR PROMOTION....WON.

Just now, Tom said:

Wigan out of the cup, a crappy weekend for us but plenty more chances to come to have better ones 

The way I look at it. This week-end we have not lost anything we had, we have just not gained anything! 

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Disappointed with that result. I’d have preferred extra time and Wigan to 5-4 win on penalties. They now have only one priority. Not sure how much wind this will take from their sails and it’s ominous for us.

But more than that, I felt that the BBC unnecessarily patronised Wigan, a recent PL club and also FA Cup winners, as some plucky, quote, “basement side” against the mighty top-flight Southampton, whose last win (of anything of note) was over 40 years ago. I felt affronted largely because that’s exactly how the media luvvies view teams like us. Do these commentators know anything about football or are they just filling time until the County File job comes up?

• Backroom
Just now, Stuart said:

Disappointed with that result. I’d have preferred extra time and Wigan to 5-4 win on penalties. They now have only one priority. Not sure how much wind this will take from their sails and it’s ominous for us.

But more than that, I felt that the BBC unnecessarily patronised Wigan, a recent PL club and also FA Cup winners, as some plucky, quote, “basement side” against the mighty top-flight Southampton, whose last win (of anything of note) was over 40 years ago. I felt affronted largely because that’s exactly how the media luvvies view teams like us. Do these commentators know anything about football or are they just filling time until the County File job comes up?

It was exactly the same a few seasons ago when we were in the Championship and beat Swansea. I remember it being treated as some kind of giant killing, it was sickening. But that's what happens when clubs like us and Wigan fall out of the big time, whereas clubs like Leeds remain "big" despite a much longer absence from the PL. 

Should Dan Burn not have seen red for the challenge which conceded the penalty?

Can’t help but feel that we’ve not had the rub of the green with refereeing decisions this season. Compare that decision today with the one against Harper in the Crewe game. And Shrews penalty yesterday, whilst not necessarily a ‘clear and obvious’ error, was definitely on the soft side. When was the last time we got one of those??

23 minutes ago, dallydally said:

Come on Walsall! Take points off Wigan on Tuesday

Isnt that on Wednesday?

And dont Shrewsbury play on Tuesday?

56 minutes ago, dallydally said:

Wigan losing in the Cup. ?. Come on Southampton!

Very pleased for Mark Hughes

16 hours ago, Waggy76 said:

By your logic we are going to finish 3rd and lose play off .....

Thats it season over !

Sad thing is I have that horrible feeling too.  Shrewsbury, since 10 games in we have.falsely predicted a capitulation by them which just has not happened.  All they have to do is win one more and they are above us.  This will happen before we play again.  I think Shrews go up as champs.  Wigan will falter a couple of games as they clear their cup exit hangover but will steady the ship enough to cement 2nd by a point or two.

Record number of points for 3rd place will not help us as we meekly exit the playoffs at the first hurdle.  How do I know all this? cos I've been a.Rovers.fan half ancentury and it is the way things go for us/me.  We have some exciting times between now and seasons end but we have just had a few too many slip ups against "lesser" teams at home to be able to overcome Shrews or Wigan.  Those are the ones to cost us.

44 minutes ago, meadows said:

Against Shrewsbury funnily enough. 

Ah yes, I had forgotten about that one. Although, if my memory serves me right, they also got a soft penalty in that game and their keeper should have been sent off (not just my opinion, but also according to the ban he received subsequently)

18 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

We've made exactly 1 point on them over the last 9 games.

Do that over the next 9 games and we've cracked it, assuming favourable GD.  Gut tells me we won't, or is it heartburn?

• Backroom
1 hour ago, Stuart said:

Watch out for them splinters Tom!

In my head it’s the play offs but after a bad weekend personally I’m trying this positivity lark for a day or so 

1 hour ago, Stuart said:

Completely agree. 

42 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

Read a stat on the Shrews messageboard that they have conceded 11 penalties this season but only six of them were scored - make what you want out of that. 

Their opponents aren't very good at taking penalties ?

Does anyone know the new date for the Gillingham game ? 

2 hours ago, JacknOry said:

Read a stat on the Shrews messageboard that they have conceded 11 penalties this season but only six of them were scored - make what you want out of that. 

Theyve got a very good goalkeeper that can save penalties? That they are "unlucky" to concede so many penalties?

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/16095479.Big_week_in_the_League_One_promotion_race_as_Rovers_mark_a_month_at_the_top/?ref=mac

When the re-arranged Gillingham game is re-arranged, Rovers will face seven games during a 28 day period in October, with just one more game to play in March and then the final day game with Oxford United on May 5.

We're getting another chance to not be shit last October. Now who's getting the luck....

More importantly, will we be third by the time we next play?

16 hours ago, DaveyB said:

Unless I’m mistaken I thought they had got rid of the double whammy of a red card AND a penalty these days? Outside the box and it might have been a red maybe?

17 hours ago, DaveyB said:

Can’t help but feel that we’ve not had the rub of the green with refereeing decisions this season. Compare that decision today with the one against Harper in the Crewe game. And Shrews penalty yesterday, whilst not necessarily a ‘clear and obvious’ error, was definitely on the soft side. When was the last time we got one of those??

I think that there are different rules between league and fa cup matches regarding reds in that situation. I am not certain.

17 hours ago, USABlue said:

Sad thing is I have that horrible feeling too.  Shrewsbury, since 10 games in we have.falsely predicted a capitulation by them which just has not happened.  All they have to do is win one more and they are above us.  This will happen before we play again.  I think Shrews go up as champs.  Wigan will falter a couple of games as they clear their cup exit hangover but will steady the ship enough to cement 2nd by a point or two.

Record number of points for 3rd place will not help us as we meekly exit the playoffs at the first hurdle.  How do I know all this? cos I've been a.Rovers.fan half ancentury and it is the way things go for us/me.  We have some exciting times between now and seasons end but we have just had a few too many slip ups against "lesser" teams at home to be able to overcome Shrews or Wigan.  Those are the ones to cost us.

And there's a bogeyman living under the stairs, Martin. Watch out! If you make a noise when walking past, he'll jump out and grab ya. ?

Cue several more weeks of Rovers fans frightening themselves with stories about Shrewsbury and Wigan. 

If we keep winning, we'll go up. 

COYB. 

Shrewsbury have to win their game in hand on us to get above us. That is against Peterborough who are no pushovers. If they do that then they will be 1 point above us but with an inferior goal difference.

Shrewsbury are not going to win their remaining 10 games. They will slip up at least once. What we have to do is ensure we slip up less than they do, if we do that we finish above them.

It sounds simple when it isn't but the idea behind us having such a big squad and such experience within our ranks is than when squeaky bum time comes round we have the depth and experience to deal with it better than they do.

Archived