BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] THE BATTLE FOR PROMOTION....WON.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For me Wigan have the more difficult run in and they will be playing 3 games a week from now on they are bound to drop points that said I looked at our remaining games and tried to be honest as I could with my predictions and we ended up on 93 points , the average points tally to win this league is 95

Just now, AJW said:

For me Wigan have the more difficult run in and they will be playing 3 games a week from now on they are bound to drop points that said I looked at our remaining games and tried to be honest as I could with my predictions and we ended up on 93 points , the average points tally to win this league is 95

Mine's Rovers 92,  Wigan 96 & Shrewsbury 94.

Been keeping a running check for about a month and started with Wigan well ahead then they lost two games in in 4 days away to Southend and home to Blackpool.

Funny old game :P

I am really surprised that Wigan haven't got a midweek fixture this week. Given their backlog and upcoming schedule I was sure they would have tried to get one of their games in hand out of the way.

25 minutes ago, arbitro said:

I am really surprised that Wigan haven't got a midweek fixture this week. Given their backlog and upcoming schedule I was sure they would have tried to get one of their games in hand out of the way.

In the Premier League clubs are expected to fulfil their outstanding fixtures as soon as possible. Hence why City v Arsenal was played on a Thursday night following their Cup Final postponement on the Sunday before.

In the Football League it seems the opposite applies, where there is no expectation whatsoever on clubs with fixture backlogs to catch up their games asap. I'm amazed that the League don't apply pressure to these clubs to get their postponed games replayed as early as possible so to reach a stage where as many clubs as possible are on the same number of games played and there is less chance of more backlog developing down the line.

I don't believe it will help or hinder Rovers in any real way, but it just seems odd there is such a contrast between the Leagues in their approach to missed games, and it seems ridiculous that Wigan could have 4 games in hand in a promotion push and not have to play one of those this week.

Scunthorpe have a tricky looking run for a side bang out of form. Away at Wigan on Saturday, also have to play Shrewsbury, Plymouth and Bradford at home in their final 5 games. They need to get back on the points trail quickly, hopefully v Wigan and Shrewsbury, otherwise the play-offs might slip from their grasp.

• Backroom

Wigan's fixture backlog does throw a bit of a spanner into the works. Under normal circumstances you'd conclude that their overall form throughout the season combined with their generous amount of games in hand over us will see them as champions, but factor in a lot of games played in a short space of time and things could change very quickly. As Mowbray has said, I'd rather be in our position have the points in the bag, but we need to make up for Sunday's disappointment by beating Bowyer's boys this weekend. A win for us and a loss/draw for Wigan will make Sunday's result much more positive.

When we had games in hand they were the fashion.

Now points on the board are in vogue.

We can no longer influence what Wigan or Shrews do so had best just try to  get as many points as possible and see where it takes us.

I think it will be to 2nd position and auto promotion.

29 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

When we had games in hand they were the fashion.

Now points on the board are in vogue.

We can no longer influence what Wigan or Shrews do so had best just try to  get as many points as possible and see where it takes us.

I think it will be to 2nd position and auto promotion.

I'd much rather be in Wigan's position, thats for sure. As you put, when we had games in hand we thought we had the trump card.

It's the number of games in hand and points available though. If we were 9 or 10 clear of Wigan with their 4 in hand then I might be persuaded to accept that our position was as good as theirs, on the basis that even if they won them all they would only be 2-3 points above us, however with the gap only being 6 points they are in the luxurious position of being able to go as far as to lose 2 of those 4 (unlikely) yet still get above us. If they manage to win them all they are effectively leading us by 7 points with only 30 left to play for, which is a huge lead at this relatively late stage.

Of course things can change and quickly, and of course our only job now is to look after ourselves and hope the others drop, so no excuses when lowly Blackpool roll into town, but in the here and now my preference would be to be in Wigan's position, knowing they can go as far as to drop 5/6 points from their games and still have promotion within their own control. We can't do that.

• Backroom
23 minutes ago, J*B said:

I'd much rather be in Wigan's position, thats for sure. As you put, when we had games in hand we thought we had the trump card.

I'd prefer Wigan's position to ours but prefer ours to Shrewsbury's

Points in the bag for me at this stage of the season. Yes we had games in hand but early in the season where it was relatively easy to fit the games in. Wigans problem is fitting all the games into a short time span at the end of a long season. Always think the league becomes a more level playing field for the last quarter of the season..teams at the bottom suddenly start picking points up against sides they wouldnt normally do so against.(last season a prime example !)

Our job is to keep a gap between us and Wigan. A psychological advantage which may or may not play on their minds if they do suddenly drop the odd point or two which to be fair they have in recent games.

There are so many things that may and will happen between now and season end.

Wigan's games in hand are a huge factor in their favour as will be Cook's between game management.

I was watching a programme recently and it was about being in a fixture pile up with PL and European games to play and the player, I forget who it was, said it was dealt with quite simply by cutting back training for those playing in the matches. More minutes played, less training, more rest.

It seemed an obvious yet simple approach to me, but I'm no fitness guru.

In Wigan's case I also await their reaction when they do lose in the Cup.

Shrews a different story. We are better than them as our 4 points off them show so if we cannot finish above them we go to lottery.

I am not worrying too much yet about Rotherham, as far as auto promo goes. If they catch us it will be as much about us dropping points as anything.

If we go to the playoffs I will fear anyone we play. I detest playoffs which is just for money and TV and totally destroys the 'table never lies' theory.

21 minutes ago, Tom said:

I'd prefer Wigan's position to ours but prefer ours to Shrewsbury's

Agreed.

Yes, Wigan have a hectic schedule ahead, but in reality what that means is they will just play the matches and do very little training inbetween.

I don't think their players will mind that at all.

If we win it, it'll be a bonus.

Need to stay ahead of Shrewsbury and Rotherham, (who are by no means out of it).

Just now, OJRovers said:

I think we should forget about Wigan, they are in pole position to go up as champions. If they slip up it is a bonus. The key head to head is with Shrewsbury for 2nd place.

Disagree with that, in the unlikely event Shrewsbury win all their remaining games there's nothing we can do about it. Maybe if they drop points at some stage and matters revert back into our own hands that's a fair enough way of looking at it.

For now though we don't have to "forget" about anyone. Neither can we influence results elsewhere. We have to go out and try and win each and every one of our remaining games and hope that that brings Wigan back into it and takes us above both of them in the final analysis.

Just now, AllRoverAsia said:

There are so many things that may and will happen between now and season end.

Wigan's games in hand are a huge factor in their favour as will be Cook's between game management.

I was watching a programme recently and it was about being in a fixture pile up with PL and European games to play and the player, I forget who it was, said it was dealt with quite simply by cutting back training for those playing in the matches. More minutes played, less training, more rest.

It seemed an obvious yet simple approach to me, but I'm no fitness guru.

In Wigan's case I also await their reaction when they do lose in the Cup.

Shrews a different story. We are better than them as our 4 points off them show so if we cannot finish above them we go to lottery.

I am not worrying too much yet about Rotherham, as far as auto promo goes. If they catch us it will be as much about us dropping points as anything.

If we go to the playoffs I will fear anyone we play. I detest playoffs which is just for money and TV and totally destroys the 'table never lies' theory.

I don't think the fixture backlog will be a help or a hinderance one way or the other for Wigan. As you say when they're playing midweek they don't train and whilst it's a convenient excuse for the manager I'm sure the players would far rather do that. If they're good enough they'll go up, if not they won't.

I would think 5 wins would do it for us.  if we get 90 we'll end up in the top 2 if not champions.  

interesting reading the Shrewsbury forum.  I really can't stand that big club attitude some fans have towards these teams from the lower divisions who are up there challenging on a fraction of our budget.  There's been quite a few games where the opposition fans have spoken about the arrogance of our fans.  Not a great impression to leave on our fellow supporters in the lower leagues.

Archived