BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] THE BATTLE FOR PROMOTION....WON.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, renrag said:

No replays in 6th round now

Wigan have a great chance of beating Soton, hopefully after xtra-time and penalties. More games they play the better for us.

Having said that we are tempting fate as they could just as likely go on a winning run in the league.

I am just taking it one game at a time and review what's happened.

I just want auto promo and to avoid the playoffs, been there, done that, not enjoyable.

Looking back to League 1 last season what did it take SUFC & BWFC to get automatic promotion?

This time last year:                                End of last season:

Team P GD Pts

Team P GD Pts
1  Sheff Utd 36 27 72   1  Sheff Utd 46 45 100
2  Fleetwood 36 18 64   2  Bolton 46 32 86
3  Bolton 35 19 63   3  Scunthorpe 46 26 82
4  Bradford 37 15 62   4  Fleetwood 46 21 82
5  Scunthorpe 37 20 61   5  Bradford 46 19 79
6  Millwall 35 9 58   6  Millwall 46 9 73

SUFC had 10 remaining games. 9 wins & 1 draws made them champions.

BWFC had 11 remaining games. 7 wins, 2 draws & 2 losses gave them runners up.

As it stands today we have 9 games to play, Shrews have 11 & Wigan 13:

Team P GD Pts
1  Blackburn 37 35 76
2  Shrewsbury 35 21 71
3  Wigan 33 39 68
4  Rotherham 35 18 62
5  Scunthorpe 37 10 58
6  Plymouth 36 1 54

30 minutes ago, Cherry Blue said:

Looking back to League 1 last season what did it take SUFC & BWFC to get automatic promotion?

Team P GD Pts

Team P GD Pts

Team P GD Pts
1  Blackburn 37 35 76
2  Shrewsbury 35 21 71
3  Wigan 33 39 68
4  Rotherham 35 18 62
5  Scunthorpe 37 10 58
6  Plymouth 36 1 54

Fascinating that we're currently 13 points better off than Bolton were this time last season. If you give them another 6 points from the two less games played they would still only be on 69 compared to our 76 with massively inferior GD. 

Needing their total last season we would need another 10 points from 27 available. To reach last season's required total of 83 points we're only 7 off now. Its going to be one of those high total years. We need to be looking more towards Sheffield United's run to guarantee promotion.

Fleetwood were sat in automatic spots going into the last ten, 'only' picked up 18 points from 30 and finished 4th. Now look at them.

2+ points a game needed for us to avoid a similar scenario.

The average number of points required to win league one is 95 and to finish second 88 points. We have averaged over 2 points per game over the season. If we continue  like this for the remaining 9 games this will give us another 18 points giving a total of 94 which over the years should be enough for an automatic spot.

In theory.

I don't think last year or any other past year matters much. There are 3 teams way above everyone else and one will miss out probably with points that would have got them up in previous seasons.

Just like the points we got last season which still sent us down. Its nail-biting stuff to the end of the campaign.

2 hours ago, Cherry Blue said:

Team P GD Pts

Team P GD Pts

Team P GD Pts
1  Blackburn 37 35 76
2  Shrewsbury 35 21 71
3  Wigan 33 39 68
4  Rotherham 35 18 62
5  Scunthorpe 37 10 58
6  Plymouth 36 1 54

Surprised to see that we compare so favourably with Sheff United.

Some of the comments coming from fans of other clubs at the start of the season were putting them on a pedestal, saying that we were not at the same level, even when we were winning. I know we've improved dramatically since then, but hopefully says good things about how we might have a season more like theirs than Bolton's assuming we manage to finish in the top 2.

1 hour ago, philipl said:

Rotherham lose again, Charlton drawing and Peterborough grab a late winner at Bury.

We could be deciding the final play-off place in our Peterborough and Charlton games in April. 

Main one there is the Rotherham defeat. I expected they would hit a sticky patch once their winning run inevitably ended and so it has proved with 0 points from 6 against bottom 4 sides.

That just about finishes them off as far as automatic promotion goes. 14 points behind us albeit with a game in hand is surely too much to overhaul with only 9/10 to play. They'll be looking over their shoulders worrying more about hanging on against Peterborough and Plymouth coming on strong.

Peterborough look like they could be that side that comes in late and takes a play-off spot. Evans will get the results wherever he goes.

Charlton are floundering. Can't see them making the play-offs given their recent form. 

• Backroom
3 hours ago, JHRover said:

Fascinating that we're currently 13 points better off than Bolton were this time last season. If you give them another 6 points from the two less games played they would still only be on 69 compared to our 76 with massively inferior GD. 

Needing their total last season we would need another 10 points from 27 available. To reach last season's required total of 83 points we're only 7 off now. Its going to be one of those high total years. We need to be looking more towards Sheffield United's run to guarantee promotion.

Fleetwood were sat in automatic spots going into the last ten, 'only' picked up 18 points from 30 and finished 4th. Now look at them.

2+ points a game needed for us to avoid a similar scenario.

Precisely why the much-maligned MGPensioner is spot on with his 'x games to save the club' schtik.

If we don't go up this season, we lose the spine of our team and the loans won't come back. That in itself would make Mowbray walk.

We NEED to go back up.

12 hours ago, Cherry Blue said:

Team P GD Pts

Team P GD Pts

Team P GD Pts
1  Blackburn 37 35 76
2  Shrewsbury 35 21 71
3  Wigan 33 39 68
4  Rotherham 35 18 62
5  Scunthorpe 37 10 58
6  Plymouth 36 1 54

Very interesting. Like others have said I'm not sure how much last year's table is relevant but it's still heartening to see where we are at vs a team that hit the 100 point mark last year. 

It would be typical that we go down last year on goal difference and then this year we finish in the play-offs with a record points haul.

I appear to have taken a trip to 'negative town'.

12 hours ago, Cherry Blue said:

Team P GD Pts

Team P GD Pts

Team P GD Pts
1  Blackburn 37 35 76
2  Shrewsbury 35 21 71
3  Wigan 33 39 68
4  Rotherham 35 18 62
5  Scunthorpe 37 10 58
6  Plymouth 36 1 54

Just shows how much better the standard is this season. We'd have been 14 points clear of 3rd this time last season and needing only 11 more points for promotion. Still think 90 points will do it. Come on Bradford  tonight!

9 hours ago, Mike E said:

Precisely why the much-maligned MGPensioner is spot on with his 'x games to save the club' schtik.

If we don't go up this season, we lose the spine of our team and the loans won't come back. That in itself would make Mowbray walk.

We NEED to go back up.

From the perspective of a fan, I can see why it’s imperative we go up, but the suggestion the club will be “saved” by promotion is absolute rubbish. It will make things harder if we don’t, that’s a given but what’s that got to do with “saving” the club?

What Mr Burnley aka MGP means when he says that; “x more games till I’m still unlikely to support my*” club. There’s a huge difference between bringing us back up + “saving the club”, so don’t give credit to an obvious troll. 

• Backroom
16 minutes ago, Biz said:

From the perspective of a fan, I can see why it’s imperative we go up, but the suggestion the club will be “saved” by promotion is absolute rubbish. It will make things harder if we don’t, that’s a given but what’s that got to do with “saving” the club?

What Mr Burnley aka MGP means when he says that; “x more games till I’m still unlikely to support my*” club. There’s a huge difference between bringing us back up + “saving the club”, so don’t give credit to an obvious troll. 

Saving us from falling any further; his entire point.

20 minutes ago, Biz said:

The thing with idiots and unfit owners is that they are likely to repeat past mistakes having not learnt lessons from them. Especially when those running the club (Pasha) have no football background.

That's ultimately the very reason we're in this league now.

The last time they 'bankrolled' a promotion push which ended in failure they sold everyone of value, refused to reinvest, and appointed another clown to be manager.

I really do wonder why anyone has any faith that they won't do something similar this time round should we fail to go up. Yes they've returned to 'normality' by leaving Mowbray to get on with it and backed him in the market, they did the same with Gary Bowyer for a while.

Promotion is imperative, for all sorts of reasons, and I don't expect it will be as simple as dusting ourselves down and going again next season should we fail.

34 minutes ago, Biz said:

Can't see past the end of your nose Biz. Your vision doesn't go beyond 90 minutes!

As for MG Pensioner  as a trolling Burnley fan I suggest you avoid these conspiracy theories!

Excelled yourself this time. :blink:

19 minutes ago, JHRover said:

The thing with idiots and unfit owners is that they are likely to repeat past mistakes having not learnt lessons from them. Especially when those running the club (Pasha) have no football background.

That's ultimately the very reason we're in this league now.

The last time they 'bankrolled' a promotion push which ended in failure they sold everyone of value, refused to reinvest, and appointed another clown to be manager.

I really do wonder why anyone has any faith that they won't do something similar this time round should we fail to go up. Yes they've returned to 'normality' by leaving Mowbray to get on with it and backed him in the market, they did the same with Gary Bowyer for a while.

Promotion is imperative, for all sorts of reasons, and I don't expect it will be as simple as dusting ourselves down and going again next season should we fail.

Fleetwood is somewhat an example. Pipped to automatic promotion last year, lost out in the playoffs and are now right down the other end of the table having sold off a lot of their better players.

Promotion is imperative and while i'm not quite as dramatic as MGP - as we will more than likely still have a club, its the state of the club that will worry me. Our better players will either be snapped up by better positioned clubs int he division above or just sold off by the owners as they try to once again stabilize us at this level. Would they support another promotion push? Would players like Dack, Mulgrew and Graham want another season in Div 3? We already know that four senior players wanted out at the end of last season and TM or injuries or simply lack of interest luckily managed to prevent that from happening.

Add to this the calibre of clubs that will likely be coming down from the Championship and our chances will be far slimmer the next time around.

2 hours ago, 47er said:

Can't see past the end of your nose Biz. Your vision doesn't go beyond 90 minutes!

As for MG Pensioner  as a trolling Burnley fan I suggest you avoid these conspiracy theories!

Excelled yourself this time. :blink:

Not 1 person on this site has any idea what the Owners next move will be, that's been proven time and time again over the past 7 seasons, so quite why posters are queuing up to take over from mystic Meg now and predict the future is a strange one?

We all know what could happen, but biz is right, this save the club stuff is just bunkum, without foundation, and boring to read for those reasons alone.

3 hours ago, Mike E said:

Saving us from falling any further; his entire point.

That’s absolute nonsense, we both know it. His “raison d'être” for those suggestions tally with the rest of his unfounded predictions.

Archived