BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] THE BATTLE FOR PROMOTION....WON.

6 minutes ago, arbitro said:

I wasn't sure about the validity of the penalty but the referee was incredibly weak in not backing his judgement but taking the word of somebody not only a lot further away but looking through players to get a view. I would love to know how their conversation went.

Yes, I understand your point ....... but perhaps the additional time to think about it led him to change his mind and that can only be a good thing?

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, renrag said:

I reckon he’s realised he made a gaffe in awarding it and “used” the linesman to get out of jail.

My thoughts too but, quite rightly, your comments were concise! :D

7 minutes ago, arbitro said:

I wasn't sure about the validity of the penalty but the referee was incredibly weak in not backing his judgement but taking the word of somebody not only a lot further away but looking through players to get a view. I would love to know how their conversation went.

Is it not about right for league 1 referees ?

The clown we had last night could easily have lost us the match - such was his ineptitude. Not saying he was biased - just that more of his poor decisions went against Rovers as the team doing the majority of the attacking.

Not getting too excited yet - all could change on Monday. Hopefully it will give the players the boost to keep on pushing.

• Backroom
46 minutes ago, arbitro said:

Bloody hell it looks like we've got away with one there. How on earth has the referee allowed himself to be overruled by the linesman on the far side of the pitch. Still it was nice to see that cretin of a keeper in his clown shorts trying to catch his namesake for the third goal.

For me - right outcome, wrong methods!

• Backroom
Just now, Tom said:

For me - right outcome, wrong methods!

Agreed. Soft penalty, but the ref should have seen that it wasn't. Not sure how the linesman could have had a better view.

12 minutes ago, Preben said:

Yes, I understand your point ....... but perhaps the additional time to think about it led him to change his mind and that can only be a good thing?

It appeared that there wasn't going to be a conversation as the referee walked to the penalty spot and the Rochdale players seemed to persuade him to speak to the linesman. Why they needed a face to face chat I don't know as they have electronic communication. As I said from a credibility perspective neither the referee or linesman come out with much credit.

Paul Hurst wasn't impressed.

https://www.shropshirestar.com/sport/football/shrewsbury-town-fc/2018/03/30/shrewsbury-town-boss-paul-hurst-slams-late-penalty-decision/

Just now, DE. said:

Agreed. Soft penalty, but the ref should have seen that it wasn't. Not sure how the linesman could have had a better view.

It would have been galling if that pen had been given.

Amazing though, goals in 45+12 and 95+6.

Karma even.

Just now, arbitro said:

It appeared that there wasn't going to be a conversation as the referee walked to the penalty spot and the Rochdale players seemed to persuade him to speak to the linesman. Why they needed a face to face chat I don't know as they have electronic communication. As I said from a credibility perspective neither the referee or linesman come out with much credit.

https://www.shropshirestar.com/sport/football/shrewsbury-town-fc/2018/03/30/shrewsbury-town-boss-paul-hurst-slams-late-penalty-decision/

SmartSelect_20180330-220419_Twitter.gif

• Backroom
Just now, Stuart said:

It would have been galling if that pen had been given.

Amazing though, goals in 45+12 and 95+6.

Karma even.

Arguably one of the most demoralising games I've seen. Another injury, conceding a goal on the 12th minute of 10 minutes added on at the end of the first half, a penalty denied in the 95th minute, then picked off at the end when the keeper comes up for a corner. Oh, and all against a team who are 23rd. 

Funnily enough, the last team Rochdale beat was Rotherham away! 

Just now, arbitro said:

Thanks I really respect your view and experience. If the referee realised he called it wrong I don't think it should adversely effect his credibility, quite the opposite.

16 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

If Hurst thought that was a pen his eyes must be painted on.

Read it that Hurst didn't care of it was or wasn't - more that the ref shouldn't change his mind based on additional information...

Not going to be a fan of VAR then is he ?

• Backroom
3 hours ago, renrag said:

Probably would have been ok if it had been at the other end.

Did anyone notice the scorer of the second Rochdale goal appear to goad the keeper. I wonder if word is getting around that he can be wound up?

Looked like the keeper was losing his rag, nothing wrong with being passionate but the bloke seems a tosser. 

He seems to constantly taunt opposing fans.

Not League One but just had a look at the Championship - Millwall have shot up the table and, like Sheffield Utd, are on the cusp of the play offs. Goes to show that if you get out of this division, the one above isn't that gulf in class that some would have you believe. 

On 31/03/2018 at 07:05, arbitro said:

Bloody hell it looks like we've got away with one there. How on earth has the referee allowed himself to be overruled by the linesman on the far side of the pitch. Still it was nice to see that cretin of a keeper in his clown shorts trying to catch his namesake for the third goal.

Can I try this explanation on you? The Shrew forward is running at the goals, the Rochdale defender is directly behind him and very close. The ref is 15 yards?10? behind them directly in line.

Could he really see clear contact from his position? Did the linesman have a clear side view that showed no contact? Even a long way across the pitch the linesman could have had a better view?

I've only seen it once so if I'm talking through my hat, fair enough!

17 minutes ago, GreenRover said:

Their manager obviously doesn't know too much - "In any team, you need that experience. He has a calm head, he knows how to defend and he's not bad on the ball either. He was schooled at West Ham so he has always been good on the ball, Eddie Howe wouldn't have taken him to Bournemouth if he wasn't a ball-playing centre half, nor would Tony Mowbray at Blackburn"

Ward was signed 2 managers before Mowbray. 

7 hours ago, 47er said:

Can I try this explanation on you? The Shrew forward is running at the goals, the Rochdale defender is directly behind him and very close. The ref is 15 yards?10? behind them directly in line.

Could he really see clear contact from his position? Did the linesman have a clear side view that showed no contact? Even a long way across the pitch the linesman could have had a better view?

I've only seen it once so if I'm talking through my hat, fair enough!

Having seen it a few times I'm still not sure of the thought processes of either of them. The referee walked to the penalty spot and the assistant took up the prescribed position on the goal line. If the assistant had any immediate doubt he should have held his position on the touchline and advised the referee over the communication set. Something about the incident didn't look right.

Either way though I was chuffed as it massively helped us but if that happens against us tomorrow we'll want to string them up.

41 minutes ago, arbitro said:

Having seen it a few times I'm still not sure of the thought processes of either of them. The referee walked to the penalty spot and the assistant took up the prescribed position on the goal line. If the assistant had any immediate doubt he should have held his position on the touchline and advised the referee over the communication set. Something about the incident didn't look right.

Either way though I was chuffed as it massively helped us but if that happens against us tomorrow we'll want to string them up.

Yes that's the puzzling thing. Why did the assistant take up position for a pen when he must have thought it wasn't one ?

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Yes that's the puzzling thing. Why did the assistant take up position for a pen when he must have thought it wasn't one ?

because he has probably been briefed by the ref before the game not to contradict any decisions the ref gives. Then when there is a consultation It seems like the ref is in control and on advice from someone else has come to the correct decision. The fact that he made an awful decision in the first place has been forgotten. His assessor will be satisfied and he carries on getting games.

8 hours ago, AAK said:

Their manager obviously doesn't know too much - "In any team, you need that experience. He has a calm head, he knows how to defend and he's not bad on the ball either. He was schooled at West Ham so he has always been good on the ball, Eddie Howe wouldn't have taken him to Bournemouth if he wasn't a ball-playing centre half, nor would Tony Mowbray at Blackburn"

Ward was signed 2 managers before Mowbray. 

I'd say he's a right mard arse  and for a centre half that is a problem 

Archived