BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] THE BATTLE FOR PROMOTION....WON.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, JHRover said:

We won't hammer many, if any. The reason for that is our approach and attitude when we go ahead in games. Rather than continue to go at the opposition we respond to goals in our favour by retreating back and conceding possession and territory to the opposition. Yesterday was the epitome of that and we very nearly paid the price. Once ahead we seem to drastically change our approach to games and sit deep allowing the opposition control over the pitch and we look very uncomfortable and nervy. Its been a common factor from the early Mowbray era against Wigan and Derby last season.

If we're winning it doesn't matter but its stressful to watch and I feel we give the opposition too much time and respect and from that they gain confidence and momentum in games. 

I'll say it! I don't see Mowbray as a long-term proposition. We have match-winners  who can pop up when needed and do something brilliant,

Therefore we can play badly and win but only in this league. That's my realistic appraisal.

Difficulty is, let's say he goes soon we'll be spinning the Venky's Russian roulette wheel again and possibly get a twerp worse than Coyle. Tony should be able to establish us in the Championship if we keep this squad, and improve on it. If Venky's 'cash in' and sell a few and trouser the money as in the past, we're nobbed whoever is in charge.

2 minutes ago, Norbert Rassragr said:

Difficulty is, let's say he goes soon we'll be spinning the Venky's Russian roulette wheel again and possibly get a twerp worse than Coyle. Tony should be able to establish us in the Championship if we keep this squad, and improve on it. If Venky's 'cash in' and sell a few and trouser the money as in the past, we're nobbed whoever is in charge.

Agree with that.

To sack Mowbray and roll the managerial dice again would be utterly foolhardy. Does anyone really want the chance of getting another Appleton or Berg, and come straight back down again? Let’s have some stability for once. Ok, so TM might be a bit of an understated manager, but he is a shrewd cookie, no question. TBH, the choice of manager you can pick from is pretty limited down in League 1, and we have been lucky to get one with proper top-flight experience, (and I’m guessing CL with Celtic too?). IMHO, I think with the majority of managers we could have got, we would not be sitting Top of the league. Do you want a manager who knows how to win games, or just one of who is more concerned about providing entertaining football? If you want the latter, then let’s get Keano back!

Just now, Linguino said:

To sack Mowbray and roll the managerial dice again would be utterly foolhardy. Does anyone really want the chance of getting another Appleton or Berg, and come straight back down again? Let’s have some stability for once. Ok, so TM might be a bit of an understated manager, but he is a shrewd cookie, no question. TBH, the choice of manager you can pick from is pretty limited down in League 1, and we have been lucky to get one with proper top-flight experience, (and I’m guessing CL with Celtic too?). IMHO, I think with the majority of managers we could have got, we would not be sitting Top of the league. Do you want a manager who knows how to win games, or just one of who is more concerned about proving entertaining football? If you want the latter, then let’s get Keane back!

I've said I don't see him as a "long term prospect".

As is usual on this site, you have turned this into a discussion based on whether we should sack him now! Clearly he'll be here next season if we are promoted.

Stick to the post I sent not the one you want to argue with.

8 minutes ago, 47er said:

As is usual on this site, you have turned this into a discussion based on whether we should sack him now! Clearly he'll be here next season if we are promoted.

I’ve certainly no wish to argue over it but like @Linguino I interpreted your original post as, at the least, the suggestion TM should go in the summer. “.......we can play badly and win but only in this league.” 

It suggested to me we are top inspite of TM and entirely down to the players. In which there is some truth because, as with any team, once on the pitch it is purely down to the players - mainly though the ones TM brought in.

We all see it differently though.

Exactly. TM has brought in the best players he could get at this level. If we are in the championship, he can use the same approach again, but a level up this time, and so on....it’s all about making the absolute most of what you’ve got available, and he does that.

I didn’t at all think you wanted him to be sacked now. If anyone was foolish enough to think that, I reckon they’d probably have trouble working out how to join this forum in the first place! :lol:

If we step up a division we'll need to significantly improve performances all across the board individually and collectively.  When I look at our performances this season I think how many players have improved. Dack has been great, Graham and Mulgrew have performed up to their abilities. Raya , Bennett and Smallwood have been good. Downing has done ok. Nyambe has come on in my book. Armstrong, we knew what we were getting there. Williams, Conway, Evans appear to be treading water in terms of improvement. Bell we don't know too much about. Samuel appears to be going backwards as does Antonnson. Whittingham has contributed nothing , neither has Gladwin. Chapman looked to be a star in the making but is now out of the picture,

The excellent  crop of younger players we have seem not to be trusted by the senior management.

The point I'm making is not many of our players have improved massively over the season. Then I look down the road and look at the  improvements made in a collection of what have started out as pretty average players. 

34 minutes ago, Paul said:

I’ve certainly no wish to argue over it but like @Linguino I interpreted your original post as, at the least, the suggestion TM should go in the summer. “.......we can play badly and win but only in this league.” 

It suggested to me we are top inspite of TM and entirely down to the players. In which there is some truth because, as with any team, once on the pitch it is purely down to the players - mainly though the ones TM brought in.

We all see it differently though.

Never at any point do I think or did I suggest TM should go in the summer and I cannot see how you could have reached that conclusion (apart from you getting involved in the often febrile atmosphere on here I thought you decried).Interestingly you are agreeing with Linguino but he has the opposite view to you!. 

Nor do I think we are top in spite of TM and that its entirely down to the players and nowhere did I suggest it.

I do think he can get away with the over-cautious attitude he  has and not be  not punished so much for it in this league. I don't think that approach will work higher up, hence I don't see him as a long-term manager for us.

I hope I'm wrong by the way, because he has brought some integrity back to the club which his successor may not have.However in my ideal world, he would continue to play a role in the club to support a more imaginative manager. 

1 hour ago, 47er said:

Long term propositions nowadays in football? The word ‘oxymoron’ springs to mind!

Success on the pitch is the ultimate maker/breaker of any manager and club.

What’s important is to understand what’s required for stability and putting in new foundations. Lest we forget this season has brought many positives behind the scenes and the feeling amongst supporters; more of the same will be required next season (dare I say it) whichever league we find ourselves in.

The club will have to ‘play what’s in front of them’ with a vision for the future come May.

Assuming promotion happens. Cementing stability in the Championship should be the first objective and it’s not solely about the nature of team performance. TM has more than enough in his locker to do this on all fronts.

@47er bit of an overreaction to my mind. I made it clear I wasn’t trying to argue, even saying we all have different views. Simply I interpreted your words in a similar fashion to Linguino. That hardly qualifies as getting involved in a “febrile atmosphere.”

6 minutes ago, Speedie's Gonna Get Ya said:

Long term propositions nowadays in football? The word ‘oxymoron’ springs to mind!

Success on the pitch is the ultimate maker/breaker of any manager and club.

What’s important is to understand what’s required for stability and putting in new foundations. Lest we forget this season has brought many positives behind the scenes and the feeling amongst supporters; more of the same will be required next season (dare I say it) whichever league we find ourselves in.

The club will have to ‘play what’s in front of them’ with a vision for the future come May.

Assuming promotion happens. Cementing stability in the Championship should be the first objective and it’s not solely about the nature of team performance. TM has more than enough in his locker to do this on all fronts.

This

Just now, 47er said:

err---no you didn't!

As I said we all have different views and I’ve no wish to get involved further in a febrile atmosphere. 

13 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

It is for me at the moment!

13 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

It is for me at the moment!

Indeed the Promotion race feels like that. But this discussion feels perfectly calm to me. Tapping away on my phone with a nice cup of coffee and  a shortbread biscuit; I’ve never felt calmer. No, no fever here. Perhaps some people find online debate a bit too rich for their blood, but they should never take it personally. It’s all just sh*ts and giggs at the end of the day!

16 minutes ago, Linguino said:

Indeed the Promotion race feels like that. But this discussion feels perfectly calm to me. Tapping away on my phone with a nice cup of coffee and  a shortbread biscuit; I’ve never felt calmer. No, no fever here. Perhaps some people find online debate a bit too rich for their blood, but they should never take it personally. It’s all just sh*ts and giggs at the end of the day!

Keep taking the thinners!

18 hours ago, DE. said:

I know it's been said at various points this season, but I think that could be it for Shrewsbury. Losing to a team in the league below in a cup final, not even able to score once against them, will be a brutal blow to their confidence. If they bounce back from this Hurst really does have something good going on there. 

did they play a full strength team??

Archived