BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] THE BATTLE FOR PROMOTION....WON.

Had a look on the Shrewsbury forum there, they have given up on automatic. We need to win tomorrow to confirm their feelings I reckon. 

Also read they have only scored once from open play in their last 5 games, now that is a bad stat. Maybe they should be worried about Bury on Saturday. 

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I remember going to Bury with Howard Kendall's promotion team. That looked a tough game on paper, obviously Bury would have  liked nothing better than giving us a black eye.

We went at them from the off and although it wasn't easy we never really looked like not winning. What I wouldn't give to have Kendall in the central midfield on Thursday night. Looking back at that team we'd plenty of no nonsense characters who weren't going to let things slip at such a late stage.

I was having a bit of a sort out a week or two back and I came across a " Lancashire Evening Telegraph " special celebrating our promotion. It brought back lots of great memories.

If i remember rightly they beat us at ewood the following Saturday by a Steve Johnson goal I think .

Just hope that we don't do a Devon Loch this season.

Just now, had.e.nuff said:

If i remember rightly they beat us at ewood the following Saturday by a Steve Johnson goal I think .

Just hope that we don't do a Devon Loch this season.

Two Steve Johnson goals actually. Funnily enough I remember them both really well, one was cracking volley, the other was a brave header over an on rushing Rovers keeper. I think Simon Garner pulled one back for Rovers but basically we had the deck chairs out. Bury were as good as relegated and did go down in spite of the win. 

The thing I remember most is the pitch was bald and very dusty all the way up the middle. It was a blustery Spring day with little mini whirlwinds whipping up the dust. The ref stopped the game 4 or 5 times for quite long periods to get his hanky out to get dust out of players eyes !

Those were the days. He was licking the corner of his hanky first. Health and Safety, what's that ?

edit - just looked in my record book, Garner did get our goal. 

There were 13,369 at Bury, and 15,741 at Ewood for the game a few days later. Average attendance that season  10,311.

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Had a look on the Shrewsbury forum there, they have given up on automatic. We need to win tomorrow to confirm their feelings I reckon. 

Also read they have only scored once from open play in their last 5 games, now that is a bad stat. Maybe they should be worried about Bury on Saturday. 

They relied on keeping clean sheets and nicking the odd goal to win games. With the injuries they've had, especially at the back, they're not keeping clean sheets and the odd goal has dried up.

19 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

They relied on keeping clean sheets and nicking the odd goal to win games. With the injuries they've had, especially at the back, they're not keeping clean sheets and the odd goal has dried up.

Their gaffer has also been limiting game time to Stefan Payne; their top scorer. Rumours of a potential bust up.

Two Steve Johnson goals actually. Funnily enough I remember them both really well, one was cracking volley, the other was a brave header over an on rushing Rovers keeper. I think Simon Garner pulled one back for Rovers but basically we had the deck chairs out. Bury were as good as relegated and did go down in spite of the win. 

The thing I remember most is the pitch was bald and very dusty all the way up the middle. It was a blustery Spring day with little mini whirlwinds whipping up the dust. The ref stopped the game 4 or 5 times for quite long periods to get his hanky out to get dust out of players eyes !

Those were the days. He was licking the corner of his hanky first. Health and Safety, what's that ?

There were 13,369 at Bury, and 15,741 at Ewood for the game a few days later. Average attendance that season  10,311.

Not surprised  we had deck chairs out on that pitch more sand than grass a bit of a coincidence Bury relegated that season hope that's an omen.

• Backroom
12 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

A win and 2 draws would probably do. 

We have more than enough. 

Win tomorrow 

Draw v Charlton 

Beat Doncaster 

That should do it

We can enjoy the last game then 

That works for me - although Doncaster comes before Charlton so win the next two and we’ll all relax!

We gave Shrewsbury two chances to make up the ground, instead we gained a point on them, let’s not give them another chance 

Just now, darrenrover said:

Let's forget Wigan and Shrewsbury and aim to win all 4 of our remaining games.

If by having that mindset we only win 2 of them, it's likely it would still be sufficient.

I agree. We don't want this attitude of " Well we've only got Oxford at home so there's three points, we don't need to win any of the other games ".

9 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I agree. We don't want this attitude of " Well we've only got Oxford at home so there's three points, we don't need to win any of the other games ".

Oxford were good against Wigan last night by many accounts.

I agree with ARA above, we should be looking at pipping Wigan to the title. 

I actually think they have the most difficult run in and according to reports from their fans on social media, their players do look fatigued. 

I think we've probably burned our bridges in terms of finishing above Wigan. Letting a 2 goal lead against them slip, conceding in the 94th minute at Bristol and then them scoring a late winner last night has probably ended it as even if they lose one they will still be top on goal difference now. We'd probably have to win all 4 and hope they go on holiday mode once they've secured promotion (effectively secured if they win at the weekend v Fleetwood).

Not bothered about Wigan. It would have been nice to finish above them but given our start to the season and falling on the wrong side of fine margins recently we're unlikely to do it.

Rotherham seem to be hitting another patch of form at the right time after a recent dip.

Well and truly in our hands now and we've only ourselves to blame if we don't see it through from this glorious position.

I remember that the game was shown on 'The Big Match' the following day. Neil Ramsbottom was our keeper if I recall correctly. My only memory of the game is that he was nearly beaten from the centre circle from the kick off. Also, my brother was seen on the telly in the Riverside. I can't find a copy of the game online anywhere, would love to see it again. 

After all the nerve jangling it's looking like it will be an 'easy' dead rubber last day of the season - with no chance of the title and promotion already assured.

I have no idea how Shrewsbury managed to keep pace for so long judging them from their appalling cup final performance. Are they missing a player or two? As we know it can really make a difference - we are simply woeful when Dack is off form.

Here's to The Championship in August. When are the fixtures out?

46 minutes ago, Colt Seavers said:

I remember that the game was shown on 'The Big Match' the following day. Neil Ramsbottom was our keeper if I recall correctly. My only memory of the game is that he was nearly beaten from the centre circle from the kick off. Also, my brother was seen on the telly in the Riverside. I can't find a copy of the game online anywhere, would love to see it again. 

Photos I took v Bury at Ewood...

515B5591-9C31-477E-9818-82AEC5059EF7.jpeg

52020A44-BAAA-49BE-A6A7-73E9A1E4DEAA.jpeg

Apologies to everyone but I'm actually heading to England for the first time in a decade from April 26th to May 6th.

As my record attending Rovers games over the years is something like 3 draws and 5 losses, I promise I won't attend any games in person during that period.

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Oxford were good against Wigan last night by many accounts.

I agree with ARA above, we should be looking at pipping Wigan to the title. 

I actually think they have the most difficult run in and according to reports from their fans on social media, their players do look fatigued. 

Oxford will have still been smarting from the 7-0 drubbing they got at home earlier in the season ,would have been an easy team talk to give.

3 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I was there that night and I’m sure 11,000 Rovers fans were there also! I remember when Crawford scored the stand we were in shook!

39 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

You can see what I'm on about with the pitch. I was in the Blackburn End that day.

Parkes and Branagan visible on the bottom photo with what looks like Bill Fox and John Howarth (?) With their backs to the camera in the foreground.

I see people get carried away with the situation, too early if you ask me. The truth is we are nowhere near the automatic promotion yet.

Shrews will get free 3 pts from their next match against already relegated Bury. And if we lose our next match it will be only 2 pts cap to Shrews with 3 more games to go.

Still feeling strong? :D

The fact is that we need 2 wins and 1 draw from our remaining 4 matches in worst scenario where Shrews win 4 in a row (remember the first of those is at home against Bury).

And on the top of that, every point Shrews drop we can drop too.

Personally I wouldnt be shocked if Shrews would win their other 3 remaining games too.

But if we win Peterborough tomorrow and thus nullify the "Bury game factor", even I could admit that  we are close...;)

Archived