BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] THE BATTLE FOR PROMOTION....WON.

• Backroom

Mowbray's natural caution and tendency to set his team up as the underdog will probably work in our favour next season. If the likes of Millwall can challenge for the playoffs and teams like Ipswich can sit comfortably in mid table it shouldn't beyond Mowbray to keep us steady in the Championship. Unless we sell all our best players again, then we'd be screwed, but no indications of that mindset creeping in yet. 

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderation Lead

Cook’s just a daft c-bomb. Bollocks to that outhouse. Manager of an inferior club in every way (bar the current league table I suppose) who have a chip on their shoulder re us. 

I’ve legitimately no idea why their fans are so obsessed with us either. Madness.

But then, Dack has scored more than Powell and as many as Grigg, numbers not their strong suit, evidently.

Absolute waste men.

Just now, K-Hod said:

Cook’s just a daft c-bomb. Bollocks to that outhouse. Manager of an inferior club in every way (bar the current league table I suppose) who have a chip on their shoulder re us. 

I’ve legitimately no idea why their fans are so obsessed with us either. Madness.

But then, Dack has scored more than Powell and as many as Grigg, numbers not their strong suit, evidently.

Absolute waste men.

I always trying to learn English, please help :rover:  You seems to speak foreigner more than I in posting above.

17 minutes ago, FGS5635 said:

Like a lot of teams at that level, if we get a bit of luck with injuries etc we can do ok. Couple of key injuries though and you can be in a relegation fight easily

As Shrewsbury has proved this season at this level.

You need luck on your side at any level.

• Moderation Lead
Just now, Mark45 said:

I always trying to learn English, please help :rover:  You seems to speak foreigner more than I in posting above.

Haha- the first one is a well known insult beginning with ‘C’...

The second one is the plural of waste man- urban dictionary defines this as:

A slang term for someone who does very little with their life’. 

18 hours ago, darrenrover said:

I'm sure you're right but it's Rovers we're talking about.

I'd keep the bets going until the fat lady has lost her voice! should be great odds!

Fair. £150 is a standard night out in London so I should dry my fanny really; £50 on Shrewsbury to get promoted ?

1 hour ago, K-Hod said:

Absolute waste men.

He's a @#/?ing weasel. I predict a 2002 style campaign where we finish above Wigan in the league above having been promoted in second the year before - I preferred Fulham though. Oh to have Duff, Dunny and Jansen back though ?

5 hours ago, Biz said:

Quick question, if he doesn’t achieve back to back promotions, does that mean he’s “not” a good manager?

I don’t see how anyone could say he’s not a “good” manager after the past 12 months with us. He’s probably never going to be as successful as Kenny, unlikely to achieve promotion to the top flight like souness , or cement us in the top ten of the prem like Hughes! That doesn’t mean he isn’t a good manager.

Hes already proven that in my eyes. To take what was left after season upon season of selling the best players, left by Coyle, rotting at the foot of the champ, and rebuild it from the ground up, you don’t do that if you’re just “average”

It’s also worth mentioning that he is an absolute gent and speaks fantastically well about the game. Was the first manager to come in and acknowledge that the fans had been treated badly, that alone shows what kind of bloke he is; a football man.

On that basis, it’s hard for me to see how people can be so critical right now. Made sense in September and early October, but I think the blokes fairly proven to be a good manager now.

I have nothing to add to this as it sums up exactly how I feel, so with due acknowledgment I am going to cut and paste your message in full.

Quick question, if he doesn’t achieve back to back promotions, does that mean he’s “not” a good manager?

I don’t see how anyone could say he’s not a “good” manager after the past 12 months with us. He’s probably never going to be as successful as Kenny, unlikely to achieve promotion to the top flight like souness , or cement us in the top ten of the prem like Hughes! That doesn’t mean he isn’t a good manager.

Hes already proven that in my eyes. To take what was left after season upon season of selling the best players, left by Coyle, rotting at the foot of the champ, and rebuild it from the ground up, you don’t do that if you’re just “average”

It’s also worth mentioning that he is an absolute gent and speaks fantastically well about the game. Was the first manager to come in and acknowledge that the fans had been treated badly, that alone shows what kind of bloke he is; a football man.

On that basis, it’s hard for me to see how people can be so critical right now. Made sense in September and early October, but I think the blokes fairly proven to be a good manager now.

• Backroom
1 hour ago, K-Hod said:

Haha- the first one is a well known insult beginning with ‘C’...

The second one is the plural of waste man- urban dictionary defines this as:

A slang term for someone who does very little with their life’. 

And an outhouse is somewhere you used to go to the toilet a very long time ago.

That help clear things up Mark?

Just to be clear, I don' think he was showering Cook in compliments. 

You need lots of skills to be a good manager. Being a figurehead for the Club and projecting our image -Mowbray has been great, I couldn't fault him. Wheeling and dealing in the transfer market - with the great exception of Dack I'd say pretty average. One or two good, some ok, some really poor. Team selection and team organisation - again average, some inexplicable systems and selections, some good use of subs, some not so good. Player improvement - again its been patchy, some have come on as the season progressed but quite a few haven't. Bringing on the younger players at the Club - not very good. We have some good young players that haven't really had much encouragement.

So my verdict is mixed, I really like the bloke. He's been great for Rovers. However, this is a really poor division, next season will be much tougher. We need to improve a lot as a team to compete. Is this the best he can do ?  If it is we may struggle. I'm heartened by the way he almost kept us up last season in really difficult circumstances but I'd  like to see our young coaches given more of a role to balance out his caution. Time will tell if that happens. Who is there at the club to make such changes ?

• Moderation Lead
Just now, Silas said:

And an outhouse is somewhere you used to go to the toilet a very long time ago.

That help clear things up Mark?

Just to be clear, I don' think he was showering Cook in compliments. 

I was going to use a more direct version of ‘outhouse’ beginning with ‘S’, but this is a family show...

One other thing regarding Mowbray. I like how he made sure the players formed a bond with the supporters. As far as I remember he instructed them specifically to make the effort to do so. It should be an obvious thing to instill, but look at the respectable managers we've had who couldn't manage that, never mind the daft pillocks we've had to suffer. 

Now, I say suffer. I mean that respectfully as a far-away fan. I can't imagine what it was (is) like for the locals. The fans have been a credit to their team all season long. Few scattered boos here and there, but I like how Mowbray came right out and said that it's the fan's prerogative to do so.

He seems like a good man. A humble gent who's schooled in proper football culture and that's why I'm so eager for him to succeed. He's got the likeability factor.

And to go back to the season-long tug of war on here, his admirable traits don't mean he's above criticism. And I get the impression he'd be the first to agree.

13 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

You need lots of skills to be a good manager. Being a figurehead for the Club and projecting our image -Mowbray has been great, I couldn't fault him. Wheeling and dealing in the transfer market - with the great exception of Dack I'd say pretty average. One or two good, some ok, some really poor. Team selection and team organisation - again average, some inexplicable systems and selections, some good use of subs, some not so good. Player improvement - again its been patchy, some have come on as the season progressed but quite a few haven't. Bringing on the younger players at the Club - not very good. We have some good young players that haven't really had much encouragement.

So my verdict is mixed, I really like the bloke. He's been great for Rovers. However, this is a really poor division, next season will be much tougher. We need to improve a lot as a team to compete. Is this the best he can do ?  If it is we may struggle. I'm heartened by the way he almost kept us up last season in really difficult circumstances but I'd  like to see our young coaches given more of a role to balance out his caution. Time will tell if that happens. Who is there at the club to make such changes ?

I think you are missing out Man management Tyrone, which I think has been his greatest asset this season. Persuading the spine of the team to step down a Div, the turnaround in Graham’s attitude and application, keeping the fringe players motivated, the recent handling of Dack’s off-field distractions. Also you missed Armstrong off the transfer successes - pivotal imo.

7 hours ago, Biz said:

And where exactly did I say that he had to win promotion to be a good manager? 

A successful season is a non relegation threatened one. 

Let me get one thing straight, I like mowbray, he talks well and is a likeable fella.

do I think he is capable of taking us to the next level? Very unsure. 

We play in 20 min spells and can look very very ordinary, and that’s over games and games.he seems to love playing players out of position and can get tactics very wrong. 

Transfers so far have been a bit hit n miss. Yes he got dack but question marks have got to be put on gladwin, Whittingham, downing, signing bell and then seemingly not fancying him. 

I feel I can view us through critical eyes while some of you are glossed over with blue n white glasses. However I’m always open for debate other than your a moron, your drunks etc 

51 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

1. And where exactly did I say that he had to win promotion to be a good manager? 

2. A successful season is a non relegation threatened one. 

Let me get one thing straight, I like mowbray, he talks well and is a likeable fella.

3. We play in 20 min spells and can look very very ordinary, and that’s over games and games.he seems to love playing players out of position and can get tactics very wrong. 

4. Transfers so far have been a bit hit n miss. Yes he got dack but question marks have got to be put on gladwin, Whittingham, downing, signing bell and then seemingly not fancying him. 

5. I feel I can view us through critical eyes while some of you are glossed over with blue n white glasses. However I’m always open for debate other than your a moron, your drunks etc 

1. You said next season will see if he’s a “good manager or not”. I fundamentally disagree, he’s already a proven good manager.

2. I’m quite sure many people will accept that this is dependent on the backing in the summer.

3. Results business. I can accept we don’t always look 100% fluid but perhaps that’s because this is third tier? What are we comparing it too?  Kenny’s magic winning team?  Sounesses expensive first division promotion lads? What about the super dynamic Hughes team (with 5 international captains)?

Be realistic. I’m flabbergasted that you can bring up the questions on tactics of a team that’ve been on the run we have, without mentioning how the manager has quite obviously instilled a “we will not lose” mentality that’s been missing for years. Yes, we set up open and non-possession based, but that’s just a style - results prove it’s fit the bill this season. Do we have the players to dominate the ball from the start? Evans? 

A couple of points on classic complaints I’ve heard this season - “square pegs”, every manager has done it at some point, I think the problem we’ve had all year is a lack of wide men, hence strikers put in those positions. In terms of Bennett going in different positions; he’s done well, and I think Williams is a better CB anyway, so I can understand certain decisions. A questionable one - whittingham used out wide, but perhaps that’s down to a lack of widemen!

Another classic complaint; “Dodgy subs” I don’t have any stats, but I’ve always felt like we would be better after HT with influence from TM as opposed to his input in game being negligible. For example, last home game; no subs at half time but a definite response in terms of calmness/quality!

4. Gladwin and Whittingham are two examples that haven’t done well, but to criticise the transfer business as hit and miss is ludicrous again. Yes, the budget was there, but he moved out loads of players and managed to rebuild with little time. Dack, Smallwood, Armstrong, are all superb signings, Chapman, Antonsson, Samuel, Payne and Downing etc have been effective at times amongst others, singling out Bell as an odd signing is just clutching at straws, he gave Williams competition and “Lethal Dezzle” upped his game. I don’t quite fully understand the criticism of Williams, whilst I know he’s limited technically, that’s another argument. I think Bell is the natural replacement in time, and for a LWB role as opposed to a defensive full back.

Speaking of transfers, what about the improvement of players he convinced to stay? How many teams do you think would’ve taken Mulgrew and Graham? What about the improvements at younger level, in Nyambe and Raya? 

You're missing much of the story to highlight a point that doesn’t stand much water for me. I agree, debate is great, but none of the above is blue and white glasses. It’s just examples of the achievement this year.

Its the modern world, there isnt a player or manager anywhere in the world that isnt getting stick at some point. Heck you dont have to look to hard to find articles/posts/social media slagging off messi and ronaldo and they have been consitently outta this world.

If you want to be a professional footballer or manager, then you need to put on your big boy pants and find an nice tin hat, becasue you will get pelters

4 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I agree with this, but just on the point about transfers, at this level when budget is low and you are trying to get in who you can, isn’t it inevitable that there will be some that don’t work out? I think he’s done well on transfers and loans.

2 hours ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

And where exactly did I say that he had to win promotion to be a good manager? 

A successful season is a non relegation threatened one. 

We play in 20 min spells and can look very very ordinary, and that’s over games and games.he seems to love playing players out of position and can get tactics very wrong. 

Transfers so far have been a bit hit n miss. Yes he got dack but question marks have got to be put on gladwin, Whittingham, downing, signing bell and then seemingly not fancying him. 

I feel I can view us through critical eyes while some of you are glossed over with blue n white glasses. However I’m always open for debate other than your a moron, your drunks etc 

Some of the points you make are valid but now is not the time to look at the weak points. Lets enjoy the positives for a few weeks and then take stock of the situation. 

I agree we tend to play in short patches rather than be consistent for 90 and Mowbray has tendancy to other compensate for attacking fullbacks but now lets enjoy a rare happy time for Rovers fans. Its been a long time coming.

I think trnasfers on the whole have been positive with only Whittingham and Gladwin not working. I think Bell has been purchased with next season in mind. Downing got rewarded for playing well on loan but I think next season he will only be cover for Lenihan at best.  

1 hour ago, Rob1981 said:

I agree with this, but just on the point about transfers, at this level when budget is low and you are trying to get in who you can, isn’t it inevitable that there will be some that don’t work out? I think he’s done well on transfers and loans.

Yeah I agree he was given a tough hand to play last summer. I think one or two were got in early in case better players he may have had his eye on wouldn't become available.

Dack,    brilliant signing, he's been a real breath of fresh air. Can he make the step up ? I think he can but obviously he'll be closely marked by and large by better, quicker players than this season.

Samuel, started off ok but lost his way and his position in the team. He's never going to be a finisher and he's only just realised that he could be on his way if he doesn't shape up. Can he make the step up ? I doubt it.

Smallwood,    had a great first half of the season, second half not so good. Can he make the step up ? On his first half season showing yes, on the second half not really.

Gladwin,       I haven't seen enough of him to comment but my gut instinct says he may be on his way.

Caddis,   Signed as a squad player. Not one for next season.

Downing,    he's done ok at this level but I think he might be found out next season. Not a bad sub centre half I suppose but Wharton and Platt are very promising and need to be given a chance at some point.

Whittingham,   given the length of contract he's got I think we've dropped a real clanger. Not good enough for this league, never mind the next.

Hart,     I don't get why he was signed.

Harper,     same as Hart, strange signing.

Chapman,    he looked a talent even if he was a bit raw from a football intelligence point of view. Sorry but I don't think we'll see him again in a blue and white shirt.

Bell, too early to say but it makes me wonder if he can't displace Williams. Obviously other judges rate him so let's see next season.

Armstrong,  has blown a bit hot and cold. Everybody knows he's not a winger. When's he's played nearer the front and got some decent service he's looked a threat. My gut instinct says he may not come back although I'd take him on loan again. I don't think we could afford his fee for a permanent transfer.

Antonnson, not for me, he lacks physicality, aggression and a bit of pace. I'm just glad he came on loan and he can go back to Leeds.

I have missed any out ? As you can see a real mixed bag, more than half of those players never really established themselves in the first team.

Edit, yes I missed one out  - Payne - I was thrilled when he came on loan. I'd seen him play for Oxford and he looked a real player. I could see he was signed as cover for Dack but I think a player of his ability should be able to play in more than one position. Looks like I was wrong and he's not really thrived at Ewood. The juries out as to wether we'll see him again next season.

Archived