BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] THE BATTLE FOR PROMOTION....WON.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 4/21/2018 at 12:28, DeeCee said:

Totally agree but we're not up yet :o

My feelings exactly, far too many feeling it's done and dusted, I feel better abiut ut but I will hold my euphoria until the maths say we are promoted.  Then one big sigh of relief and the happiness will come.  Right now I'm holding back.

4 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Yeah I agree he was given a tough hand to play last summer. I think one or two were got in early in case better players he may have had his eye on wouldn't become available.

Dack,    brilliant signing, he's been a real breath of fresh air. Can he make the step up ? I think he can but obviously he'll be closely marked by and large by better, quicker players than this season.

Samuel, started off ok but lost his way and his position in the team. He's never going to be a finisher and he's only just realised that he could be on his way if he doesn't shape up. Can he make the step up ? I doubt it.

Smallwood,    had a great first half of the season, second half not so good. Can he make the step up ? On his first half season showing yes, on the second half not really.

Gladwin,       I haven't seen enough of him to comment but my gut instinct says he may be on his way.

Caddis,   Signed as a squad player. Not one for next season.

Downing,    he's done ok at this level but I think he might be found out next season. Not a bad sub centre half I suppose but Wharton and Platt are very promising and need to be given a chance at some point.

Whittingham,   given the length of contract he's got I think we've dropped a real clanger. Not good enough for this league, never mind the next.

Hart,     I don't get why he was signed.

Harper,     same as Hart, strange signing.

Chapman,    he looked a talent even if he was a bit raw from a football intelligence point of view. Sorry but I don't think we'll see him again in a blue and white shirt.

Bell, too early to say but it makes me wonder if he can't displace Williams. Obviously other judges rate him so let's see next season.

Armstrong,  has blown a bit hot and cold. Everybody knows he's not a winger. When's he's played nearer the front and got some decent service he's looked a threat. My gut instinct says he may not come back although I'd take him on loan again. I don't think we could afford his fee for a permanent transfer.

Antonnson, not for me, he lacks physicality, aggression and a bit of pace. I'm just glad he came on loan and he can go back to Leeds.

I have missed any out ? As you can see a real mixed bag, more than half of those players never really established themselves in the first team.

Spot on. I guess what I was saying is that a number of those seemed sensible signings but haven’t worked out. But to be fair, that’s a longer list of players who haven’t worked out than I had in my head! Haha.

If Downing had stayed on loan I’d have said he was a really good player to bring in. He stepped in at a really difficult stage and did well. Also hope Bell is good in the long run.

Will be fascinating to see what sort of budget and movement there is this summer.

On 4/21/2018 at 13:41, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I can't remember a pitch invasion at Gigg Lane either. I didn't go on the pitch I know that.

We were on the pitch and congregated at the tunnel.  Bit like we did at Ewood later.

Remember turning toward the ground and a sea of blue and white,  we were running late cos Astley's (RIP Gaz) Fiat 850 would not start at the Motorway services.  We were bump starting it and we were pushing all the way to the on ramp before I had to yell at him to pop the clutch.  Daft Astley for some reason thought that by being in 2nd and just pushing it the car would just burst into life, funny, I remember each of us breathless climbing in and giving him a slap for being stupid.  Great days.

The job was to get us out of this division, job nearly done.

I am sure TM and his staff know who is staying, who is going and who is wanted both in terms of loans and permanent signings.

lets get this promotion lark done and dusted first

11 hours ago, JacknOry said:

Not like you to gloat and say i told you so...oh wait...

He does like to pat himself on the back doesn't he.  I'm ok with chaddy but I have noticed that about him.  Suppose we all do to some degree though.

2 hours ago, Biz said:

1. You said next season will see if he’s a “good manager or not”. I fundamentally disagree, he’s already a proven good manager.

2. I’m quite sure many people will accept that this is dependent on the backing in the summer.

3. Results business. I can accept we don’t always look 100% fluid but perhaps that’s because this is third tier? What are we comparing it too?  Kenny’s magic winning team?  Sounesses expensive first division promotion lads? What about the super dynamic Hughes team (with 5 international captains)?

Be realistic. I’m flabbergasted that you can bring up the questions on tactics of a team that’ve been on the run we have, without mentioning how the manager has quite obviously instilled a “we will not lose” mentality that’s been missing for years. Yes, we set up open and non-possession based, but that’s just a style - results prove it’s fit the bill this season. Do we have the players to dominate the ball from the start? Evans? 

A couple of points on classic complaints I’ve heard this season - “square pegs”, every manager has done it at some point, I think the problem we’ve had all year is a lack of wide men, hence strikers put in those positions. In terms of Bennett going in different positions; he’s done well, and I think Williams is a better CB anyway, so I can understand certain decisions. A questionable one - whittingham used out wide, but perhaps that’s down to a lack of widemen!

Another classic complaint; “Dodgy subs” I don’t have any stats, but I’ve always felt like we would be better after HT with influence from TM as opposed to his input in game being negligible. For example, last home game; no subs at half time but a definite response in terms of calmness/quality!

4. Gladwin and Whittingham are two examples that haven’t done well, but to criticise the transfer business as hit and miss is ludicrous again. Yes, the budget was there, but he moved out loads of players and managed to rebuild with little time. Dack, Smallwood, Armstrong, are all superb signings, Chapman, Antonsson, Samuel, Payne and Downing etc have been effective at times amongst others, singling out Bell as an odd signing is just clutching at straws, he gave Williams competition and “Lethal Dezzle” upped his game. I don’t quite fully understand the criticism of Williams, whilst I know he’s limited technically, that’s another argument. I think Bell is the natural replacement in time, and for a LWB role as opposed to a defensive full back.

Speaking of transfers, what about the improvement of players he convinced to stay? How many teams do you think would’ve taken Mulgrew and Graham? What about the improvements at younger level, in Nyambe and Raya? 

You're missing much of the story to highlight a point that doesn’t stand much water for me. I agree, debate is great, but none of the above is blue and white glasses. It’s just examples of the achievement this year.

Unbelievably short sighted in my opinion. You and Chaddy are real wtf posters.

i do apologise to folk who believe in being negative and ruining the moment, I was jumping for joy at thursdays result and can tell you I love this club dearly, I travel down from Glasgow for match days, does that not tell you enough. 

However this is a message board to air opinions and I believe the manager and players are a big talking point about our club. 

Right biz where do I start. 

He may be a good lg 1 manager but what if he bombs next season, do you still wave the we can’t sack him he is a good manager. Did Chelsea not sack mourinho twice, arsenal getting rid of wenger etc. No room for sentiment in modern football and we need to keep up and move on when needed. I’m not saying he doesn’t deserve a chance next year but he will need to work out a better game plan where we play well for a full 90 to win games in the champ. He has done what I expected this year to be honest, I had us down as champs and looks like we are going to be just short with that but I can forgive him as promotion was the aim. Complete but at times I’d have liked more dominance and fluidity with our youngsters getting bled more often. You speak about Kenny, souness etc and how we have a weaker team, which is true but it’s a weaker league so yes that level of dominance is what I was looking for. We played well in spells but we weren’t Wigan winning comfortably and 3-4 goal winning margins. A will not lose mentality is not a tactic. And yes we have done well to scrape wins, draws but that’s down to a few quality players we have going right I’m better than this I’m taking control here, your dacks, Graham’s, Mulgrews.

you say we are better second halves but there has been more than a few shockers of second halves where we have lost leads, Wigan, crumbled to scraping wins mk dons, not upped our game, Gillingham and a lot others at start of season, so I can’t give you that one either. 

Transfers- how many of them are going to be able to take step up. You say Armstrong but he is a loan and not a winger which we really needed. How he sees a player in antonsson I don’t know, gladwin, Whittingham, Samuel, hart, harper, did we really need to sign downing? Jury out on bell. Smallwood has went way off the boil, I don’t think he is championship. 

So really out of summer and January recruitment I’m giving you dack, Armstrong, chapman and maybe Payne, three of which are loans and not ours. 

Extrordinary that you give him kudos for younger players when this is probably his biggest weakness. Look at success of our u23s yet he doesn’t bring any of them into team for any length of time. Travis looked good when I saw him and one silly challenge and never seen again, when we were crying out for young athletic legs at some points, particularly when nyambe went down. Raya yes ok but he has bided his time. Nyambe I’m not convinced is championship. But there is a whole stack of youngsters I’d have loved to have seen more of. 

So all in all I think you need to open your eyes a bit and see his weaknesses

but yes we can enjoy the moment and worry about all this next season 

Just now, Bbrovers2288 said:

i do apologise to folk who believe in being negative and ruining the moment, I was jumping for joy at thursdays result and can tell you I love this club dearly, I travel down from Glasgow for match days, does that not tell you enough. 

However this is a message board to air opinions and I believe the manager and players are a big talking point about our club. 

He may be a good lg 1 manager but what if he bombs next season, do you still wave the we can’t sack him he is a good manager. Did Chelsea not sack mourinho twice, arsenal getting rid of wenger etc. No room for sentiment in modern football and we need to keep up and move on when needed. I’m not saying he doesn’t deserve a chance next year but he will need to work out a better game plan where we play well for a full 90 to win games in the champ. He has done what I expected this year to be honest, I had us down as champs and looks like we are going to be just short with that but I can forgive him as promotion was the aim. Complete but at times I’d have liked more dominance and fluidity with our youngsters getting bled more often. You speak about Kenny, souness etc and how we have a weaker team, which is true but it’s a weaker league so yes that level of dominance is what I was looking for. We played well in spells but we weren’t Wigan winning comfortably and 3-4 goal winning margins. A will not lose mentality is not a tactic. And yes we have done well to scrape wins, draws but that’s down to a few quality players we have going right I’m better than this I’m taking control here, your dacks, Graham’s, Mulgrews.

you say we are better second halves but there has been more than a few shockers of second halves where we have lost leads, Wigan, crumbled to scraping wins mk dons, not upped our game, Gillingham and a lot others at start of season, so I can’t give you that one either. 

Transfers- how many of them are going to be able to take step up. You say Armstrong but he is a loan and not a winger which we really needed. How he sees a player in antonsson I don’t know, gladwin, Whittingham, Samuel, hart, harper, did we really need to sign downing? Jury out on bell. Smallwood has went way off the boil, I don’t think he is championship. 

So really out of summer and January recruitment I’m giving you dack, Armstrong, chapman and maybe Payne, three of which are loans and not ours. 

Extrordinary that you give him kudos for younger players when this is probably his biggest weakness. Look at success of our u23s yet he doesn’t bring any of them into team for any length of time. Travis looked good when I saw him and one silly challenge and never seen again, when we were crying out for young athletic legs at some points, particularly when nyambe went down. Raya yes ok but he has bided his time. Nyambe I’m not convinced is championship. But there is a whole stack of youngsters I’d have loved to have seen more of. 

Good post

Did we need to sign Downing..? May have had something to do with Lenihan not being available until February.

Armstrong has scored 9 goals since Jan.  Thats a better goals to game ratio than probably any other player in the team. 

The biggest moves last summer were the ones that WERENT made. To keep hold of Mulgrew, Bennett and Graham was huge. 

Just now, magicalmortensleftpeg said:

Did we need to sign Downing..? May have had something to do with Lenihan not being available until February.

Armstrong has scored 9 goals since Jan.  Thats a better goals to game ratio than probably any other player in the team. 

The biggest moves last summer were the ones that WERENT made. To keep hold of Mulgrew, Bennett and Graham was huge. 

Downing was a season loan I think. If not it surely could have been made to one. 

Yes Armstrong has done well, imagine what he could’ve got had he been playing striker. 

I give credit to the players staying and wanting to right wrongs as much as the manager asking them to stay but yes we done well to hold onto those three

Just now, magicalmortensleftpeg said:

I think you're using a bit of creative hindsight there. Quite a few ( not me ) wouldn't have been too bothered if Graham and Bennett had been sold last Summer. 

38 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I think you're using a bit of creative hindsight there. Quite a few ( not me ) wouldn't have been too bothered if Graham and Bennett had been sold last Summer. 

Which maybe adds to the idea that Mowbray has done a good job of reviving ailing careers. In the case of Bennett, he's been a revelation since Mowbray took over.

1 hour ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Never said we couldn’t sack him, to reiterate - I merely said that he is a good manager, and I’ve given enough reasons for why. If he’s backed properly, we keep key players and add some quality, I’d be as vociferous as anyone if the results into next season point towards a return to league 1.

That was never the point though. Just like I don’t see what the relevance to you coming from Glasgow has, I don’t recall questioning the validity of your opinion, I merely disagree with it.

I disagree on the impact he’s had. In short, you’d have to be a good manager to take us back first time of asking, after what seemingly was destined to be trajectory of only one direction.

This, whilst being modestly backed but in a situation where the club is absolutely at odds with its fans. A near complete squad overhaul, with a pressure to win as champions but also blood several youngsters.... just what was expected after the past few years?

I disagree on the criticism of transfers. Downing for example; it’s almost as if I imagined that Lenihan spent 6 months out injured - made perfect sense to sign a proven back up for a likely modest fee and wage, who the manager trusts and has played well at times, if decent consistently. I would’ve criticised Mowbray if Mulgrew/Lenihan had a few weeks out near the end of the season, and we ended up with Williams as the only backup CB option. It’s sensible business, I don’t think anyone here would suggest that he’s a top player but for this division and above as a squad man? I’d say so.

Smallwood has dragged us forward on his own at times. Another unfair criticism of a fantastic free signing that deserves a chance to improve in the championship. 

Payne, Antonsson, Samuel have played their part at times, im not sure what kind of budget was available but too much criticism is harsh in my opinion, especially considering that much of our “modest” budget was already tied up in paying Mulgrew, Graham and Evans - three of the top earners in the league.

We didn’t have millions to splash out, didn’t Steele’s departure pay for Dack? I also seem to remember that the club had little scouting infrastructure or direction left because of Coyle - 

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/15680956.Tony_Mowbray_looking_to_overhaul_Rovers__scouting_and_recruitment_departments_and_awaits_the_green_light_from_Venky_s/

Id say he did fair well on short notice, a big overhaul, cutting wages and adding value.

Extraordinary was the wording I’d use for Raya this season at times, and like any keeper of his age - mistakes do happen often. His distribution is criticised on this website, something that makes me WTF because his quick distribution at times directly starts counter attacks. He will make mistakes, but for me they are getting less frequent.

Tony signed a keeper in Leutwiler who knew the division. He made the decision to stick with Raya, and it’s benefitted us long term in my opinion. That’s not a weakness. Neither is looking at the opportunities given to Nuttall and Travis this season. We both know that over-reliance on youth may have cost us, and would’ve been just another poster saying “Tony’s main weakness is over reliance on youth”..

In one breath you lament the managers lack of faith for the u23, in another you say you don’t think players are “championship” ready... say no more on that!

Finally, If I had been asked what I see Tony’s weakness as; a lack of prep at attacking/defensive set pieces. I think he could make us bigger, stronger and more organised as a team.

Hmm your posts are getting tiresome pointing out your wrongs now, as there is so many it’s almost like I’m becoming a teacher. 

Point of me saying I travel a long distance was merely to point out that I love this team and I do only want what’s best for it, and being a fan I feel I’m entitled to my opinion. 

Pointing out nyambe has questionmarks doesn’t mean I don’t want to see others. Your putting words into my mouth and making 2+2=5 million. 

Is downing a marked improvement on what Wharton could offer? It’s another wage and player we will probably need to shift for manouvers come summer. 

If you feel happy with Williams and Smallwood as starters next season I do feel that your going to be sorely disappointed. 

I actually look at it that mowbray walked into a good situation with us, he wasn’t expected to keep us up due to coyles disaster, which he didn’t. Good effort or not. Although I remember Barnsley and wolves.

but this is a good club with great structures with facilities, academy, yes passionate fans who were dying to cling onto something positive after years and years of decline and very poor managers, coyle, kean, bowyer, berg, Appleton. Any success and fans would go wild for it as they have this season, it was all there waiting for somebody competent. So yes it was a good job for him. But it’s a bigger test next year. 

For whoever questioned Bennett, iv always thought he was useful, not used enough by coyle but lambert had him as a starter and was playing well during that spell 

Hmm your posts are getting tiresome pointing out your wrongs now, as there is so many it’s almost like I’m becoming a teacher. 

Point of me saying I travel a long distance was merely to point out that I love this team and I do only want what’s best for it, and being a fan I feel I’m entitled to my opinion. 

Pointing out nyambe has questionmarks doesn’t mean I don’t want to see others. Your putting words into my mouth and making 2+2=5 million. 

Is downing a marked improvement on what Wharton could offer? It’s another wage and player we will probably need to shift for manouvers come summer. 

If you feel happy with Williams and Smallwood as starters next season I do feel that your going to be sorely disappointed. 

I actually look at it that mowbray walked into a good situation with us, he wasn’t expected to keep us up due to coyles disaster, which he didn’t. Good effort or not. Although I remember Barnsley and wolves.

but this is a good club with great structures with facilities, academy, yes passionate fans who were dying to cling onto something positive after years and years of decline and very poor managers, coyle, kean, bowyer, berg, Appleton. Any success and fans would go wild for it as they have this season, it was all there waiting for somebody competent. So yes it was a good job for him. But it’s a bigger test next year. 

For whoever questioned Bennett, iv always thought he was useful, not used enough by coyle but lambert had him as a starter and was playing well during that spell 

On Wharton, I’m sure you could understand the argument that he needs to play regularly after his injury and our u23s or bench may not be the best thing for his development.

The idea that Mowbray walked into a good situation is a complete joke. You remember two games our complete joke of a loan built team played poorly? Well done.

Nobody has said next year will be easy, or we won’t need some new recruits. Nobody said you aren’t welcome to your opinion, but that changes nothing on what I’ve said - I disagree strongly with much. It’s not on the premise that we’ve had crap for years either, that suggestion is an insult quite frankly. 

The question remains from the first post. What will make Mowbray a “good” manager in your eyes then?

• Backroom

I never got the feeling Mowbray was comfortable with us being favourites to go up. His tactics point more towards a manager who prefers his team to be the underdogs. I think that's partially why we've had so many disjointed performances this season. It's hard to play a counter-attacking style when the team you're coming up against is sitting back and expecting you to attack. It's led to a lot of games being closer than we would have anticipated, and our opponent's league position has seemed to have little to no bearing on how we play against them. If anything we've struggled more against the lesser teams - again because we prefer to counter-attack and exploit gaps, which is a problem when the opponent is happy to sit back and basically do the same.

Funnily enough the above will probably work better from a tactical perspective next year when we are likely to be the underdogs in a lot of matches. This year it's just made a lot of games unnecessarily frustrating. We've done well to get the points required, but a lot of draws could have been wins if we'd been a little bolder. Still, that isn't Mowbray's style and we have to accept that.

Just now, Biz said:

On Wharton, I’m sure you could understand the argument that he needs to play regularly after his injury and our u23s or bench may not be the best thing for his development.

The idea that Mowbray walked into a good situation is a complete joke. You remember two games our complete joke of a loan built team played poorly? Well done.

Nobody has said next year will be easy, or we won’t need some new recruits. Nobody said you aren’t welcome to your opinion, but that changes nothing on what I’ve said - I disagree strongly with much. It’s not on the premise that we’ve had crap for years either, that suggestion is an insult quite frankly. 

The question remains from the first post. What will make Mowbray a “good” manager in your eyes then?

Last time I’m replying to you but if injuries and lower league aren’t a good time to play out youngsters when is? If we had been 3 up you could’ve took Mulgrew off and rested older legs. Wasn’t the result I remembered it was the lack of urgency when we needed to win those games and we were set up tactically wrong. 

I answered that question posts ago, success for me next year is comfortable mid table with no threat of relegation, I’m not expecting miracles here. 

I answered that question posts ago, success for me next year is comfortable mid table with no threat of relegation, I’m not expecting miracles here. 

To add, i agree on that and expect the same! You never know though, couple of decent acquisitions! Let’s get over this finish line first...!

• Backroom
2 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Bennett was brilliant at the back end of last season, I thought in central midfield he’d dominate this league and score quite a few but after a shaky start he’s been brilliant in every role asked of him. 

I like Mowbray. Sure, he’s got flaws but he’s walked the walk, the points are on the table. Not many managers will achieve the sort of run that we are on currently in their entire career. I liked his comments after the last game........something like.......we were poor first half, we had difficulty coping with their 5 in midfield. I didn’t have to say much at half-time, the players sorted it out. I just added a bit of direction. 

This is a vital element for a successful team I think. An effective melding of manager and player input. Maybe it’s why some managers are ncredibly successful at one club and a disaster at the next three?

Anyway, it’s been a really enjoyable season so far; we scored some cracking goals from open play and we even saw some successful through balls! I love Charlie’s free kicks but it’s great to not have to rely on set pieces to score a goal.

2 hours ago, Biz said:

disagree on the impact he’s had. In short, you’d have to be a good manager to take us back first time of asking, after what seemingly was destined to be trajectory of only one direction.

What then of Phil Parkinson? He took Bolton back up to the Championship at the first time of asking. Now they are in danger of relegation and crowds have drifted away.

Is he a good manger for having taken them up or a bad one for putting them in a relegation scrap?

Things are not as simple as you make out.

Surely the point about this season is that we put together a squad to do a job In getting us promoted. Hopefully It's job done in that respect and then we will have to repeat the process again virtually from scratch this summer if we want to be comfortably mid able or even flirtatiously eyeing the play off positions.

Not sure if there is too much point worrying about whether player x or y is good enough to make the step up as we Don't know at this stage what the Club's plans are and how extensive any strengthening will be.

For me, promotion this season is key. Winning the title will be a bonus. If we can pip Wigan to the title and shut their manager's mouth - it will be awesome. But its highly unlikely, as over the course of the season, they do look like the best team in the division. I really don't remember us destroying teams like Wigan have done consistently.

Having said that, we are having a very good season as well, especially after the horrid start.

One more win lads, just one more and we are home and dry. It's in our hands now.

Archived