BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] THE BATTLE FOR PROMOTION....WON.

18 minutes ago, Mike E said:

Reminiscent of Hughesy in 2005:

'Right lads, we stayed up. Next season: Europe!'

Alongside the catalyst of signing Craig Bellamy.

Not sure if we'll need an equivalent for next season, but to make statements like Tony has been doing, you'd have thought at least it won't be just a summer of selling our prized assets with sub-par replacements. 

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
52 minutes ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

Alongside the catalyst of signing Craig Bellamy.

Not sure if we'll need an equivalent for next season, but to make statements like Tony has been doing, you'd have thought at least it won't be just a summer of selling our prized assets with sub-par replacements. 

We could do with someone who has his pace in the team. Big time

Guessing "Madame" has no intentions of gracing us with her presence at the final game. Wouldn't entirely rule Balaji and third wheel out especially if no snowfall is predicted. Whatever happens can't see them parading round the pitch like Whelan was this past weekend. 

Guess some on here were surprised to see Whelan as well particularly Meadows. Guess people can recover from health issues albeit it unsubstantiated.

• Backroom
37 minutes ago, Vinjay17 said:

Guessing "Madame" has no intentions of gracing us with her presence at the final game. Wouldn't entirely rule Balaji and third wheel out especially if no snowfall is predicted. Whatever happens can't see them parading round the pitch like Whelan was this past weekend. 

Guess some on here were surprised to see Whelan as well particularly Meadows. Guess people can recover from health issues albeit it unsubstantiated.

I wish you would get over these petty grudges!

Maybe  Whelan is poorly but it's obviously a proud moment for him he has every right to be there to celebrate

3 hours ago, JHRover said:

Mowbray is quite right to set his stall out to do more than merely survive as a Championship club. To get up from the Championship you need a plan and a winning mentality, not accepting survival as your end target and exist to achieve that and no more. Of course going up from League One the main concern is to achieve survival but more can be done without the need for parachute money or major investment. Cardiff, Preston, Brentford, Millwall, Bristol City, Sheffield United - all clubs who have got up there without big spending most of whom were in League One very recently.

If Mowbray had arrived 5 games earlier Rovers would have stayed up last season so why shouldn't he aim high? He had a plan that just fell short, regrouped and is poised for a promotion.

For those that watched Rovers both last year and this how do the 2 teams compare? Would this team, without any additions or subtractions, be worse off than the 2016-17 edition? If not, I'd assume that Mowbray plus a few signings could do a decent job in the Championship.

24 minutes ago, Tom said:

I wish you would get over these petty grudges!

Maybe  Whelan is poorly but it's obviously a proud moment for him he has every right to be there to celebrate

I simply commented on his health (and any change in circumstances) having been given the impression he was at death's door. 

31 minutes ago, speeeeeeedie said:

If Mowbray had arrived 5 games earlier Rovers would have stayed up last season so why shouldn't he aim high? He had a plan that just fell short, regrouped and is poised for a promotion.

For those that watched Rovers both last year and this how do the 2 teams compare? Would this team, without any additions or subtractions, be worse off than the 2016-17 edition? If not, I'd assume that Mowbray plus a few signings could do a decent job in the Championship.

I will raise you on that, and say if he had arrived one game earlier we'd have stayed up, a point would have done it. Sheff Weds away the game before he arrived 2-1 defeat, could have nicked a point with Mowbray.

Just now, Mr. E said:

Thanks League 1, hope we never see ya again.

Next season will be a hell of a lot more difficult obviously, but...let's keep the fire we regained this season.

Yup, now the planning for next season begins hopefully. Will be tougher but I am hopeful we can punch our weight in that division again.

• Backroom

The battle ends with Rovers victorious, for the first time ever under Venky's (in a full season at least). 

I've not agreed with all of Mowbray's choices this season, but he's got us back up at the first time of asking and ultimately done his job in a way no other manager under the current regime has been able to. 

For me his greatest achievement hasn't been promotion, though, it's been the atmosphere he's created between the players and the fans. It's been a long time since I've felt like a Rovers team really cared about the jersey, but Mowbray has made them care this season and it's shown. 

Onto next season. We'll know pretty soon whether Venky's intentions are to keep running the club on the cheap or fund a push for a return to the big time. My money is unfortunately on the former and if so then it'll be up to Mowbray to ensure our best players stay put and we bring in enough astute signings to replicate what the likes of Sheff Utd and Millwall have achieved this season. Even on a small budget a playoff push can happen, but we're only a Venkicision away from further chaos, so I'll keep my expectations low until next season begins. 

Just now, blueboy3333 said:

THE BATTLE FOR THE TITLE:-

Wigan -    AFC Dons (H) Doncaster (A) ............... 94 points

Rovers -   Charlton (A)   Oxford (H) ......... 93points

Lets hope Rovers win 3 games

Archived