BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] THE BATTLE FOR PROMOTION....WON.

57 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Mowbray hasnt help the under 23's? :lol:

Im looking forward to next season and think we do very well personally. 

Nuttall all round game needs working on but his finishing and eye for a goal is there

Nuttall is Carp!

Only good against kids.

Mowbray needs potting now if he thinks he can play Samuel or Nuttal and expect results.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Stuart said:

Just shows how lucky we were then. Lucky that Shrewsbury had a melt down or we would have been spending another season in L1.

Still nobody has said what was mysteriously wrong with Raya, Bennett and Graham. Let alone why Travis wasn’t started.

Stuck record.  We weren't 'lucky' getting promoted, having the division's best three players, wasn't as you claim 'lucky'.  We've been one of the two best teams in a 46 match season.  Please stop.

Anyway, as for the title you never know

I'm sure we will all be checking the Wigan score every 2 minutes at ewood especially if we take the lead against Oxford.

Whatever happens, I'm going to enjoy the occasion and give Mowbray and the lads the send off they deserve

1 hour ago, Parsonblue said:

Bottom line Stuart, whether you like it or not, is that Mowbray knows more about the players and their fitness than either you or I.  It's been clear for weeks that several have been carrying knocks and not at their usual standards of fitness - you only have to seen Dack at Gillingham and Bristol to know that.  With promotion won why would anyone consider risking players to long term injury when they are clearly struggling.  Our target was promotion and we have achieved that.  Yesterday was a really great day for those who were at the game and yet coming back and reading this messageboard anyone would think we'd been relegated again.

I was at the game, the atmosphere etc was excellent, I enjoyed most of my day, but contrary to your last comment, the game did put a massive dampner on it, especially following Mowbrays comments about the title not being of importance and no one remembering who finished first and second in a few years time.

Maybe you share his disregard but we arent a club that wins many League titles, so with 2 games to go, promotion in the bag, surely you show a lot more vigour and determination to try your best and get that tangible reward.

I share your positivity on Mowbray, but it doesnt absolve him of all criticism, and solely yesterday, and his seeming disregard for the title, I feel its totally justitifed.

https://audioboom.com/posts/6832450-i-m-just-interested-in-making-sure-we-get-out-of-this-division-manager-tony-mowbray-knows-blackburn-have-already-secured-what-is-most-important

https://audioboom.com/posts/6831177-we-just-have-to-try-and-build-rovers-head-coach-tony-mowbray-is-planning-ahead-for-next-season

"not overly disappointing"

"in a years time nobody will remember who will win the league and who finishes second"

1 hour ago, Stuart said:

Based on what? Actions speak louder that words, Parson. Mowbray has not helped our U23s progress and has certainly halted Nuttall’s development. (Hopefully only temporarily). Why would he trust them next season when every point will be precious in the hunt for 50 points.

With respect you would have been looking forward to next season if we were in the Championship, League One, or even League Two. That’s just how you view all things Rovers.

Personally I think next season is going to be much more difficult and a lot less enjoyable. We will be up against half a league with millions to spend. Much depends on what we (or rather Venkys) do over the Summer.

To be fair, I feel like Mowbrays reluctance to play the under 23s has been totally justified in the last couple of months. Amongst it all, its easy to see that the first team has been so successful, so the first team players were doing what they should have been.

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Why should the youth team started the game?

Surely they should only play if they deserve to and good enough?

Mulgrew, Smallwood and Evans have been regular all season. Lenihan has been regular since coming back into the team. Downing played his part. Bell hardly played since signing due to Williams form, Armstrong been regular since signing here. Samuel also played his part this season. Fans have been asking for Payne to play. When he does you say it was weaker side. Football is a squad game now and you dont seem to understand that. 

Why keep mentioning the formation?

Why do you keep digging/moaning that Mowbray wont play youth players? He stuck by Raya all season when fans have been wanting him dropped. Were Mowbray wrong or the fans who wanting him drop wrong?

To be fair, most of the supporters seem to agree that the formation is not one that gets the best out of our players. When we try it again, and lose, and dont score, its going to attract criticism.

Again, I disagree with you on the first point Stuart.  I think Mowbray has supported the younger lads and certainly hasn't halted Nuttall's development.  He had a dip in form in the Under-23's in mid-season which underlined that there are a number of aspects of his game which need work.  Personally, I think it was a wise decision to hold them back until next season and keep them away from the stress of a promotion push.  The only one I might have gambled with would have been Lewis Travis.  You only have to look at the grief that the likes of Samuel and Antonsson have had from the crowd in recent games - a young lad might well have been destroyed by that sort of criticism. 

You are right in that I do enjoy following the Rovers Stuart but the last few seasons have been difficult and even I question my sanity arriving home at 4am after another midweek defeat.  However, I've found Mowbray to be a breath of fresh air and someone who has completely reinvigorated by enthusiasm.  

I would totally agree that next season will be difficult.  You only have to look at Bolton's woes to see how difficult it could be.  However, I believe Mowbray is the man to take the club forward - hopefully for the next few years - and that he can build on the success of this season.  Obviously, he will need financial support be both he and Steve Waggott seem to have a good relationship with Mr & Mrs Desai and they, in turn, seem to have confidence in what is being done on the ground at Ewood.  Hopefully, the corner has been turned but only time will tell.  But whatever the future holds in store, God willing, we will both be supporting OUR club.

Thats totally unfair. Samuels been his own worst enemy in terms of his body language and at times lack of work rate (to be fair, not in the last few weeks, when hes just been poor but he has tried his best)

For me, thats a totally unnecessary dig at the fans who have been united behind the team throughout.

I have been reading a few posts on here and had to look at the league table to check if we had been deducted points and been relegated ,reality check we have lost 6 games this season only Liverpool and man city have lost fewer games, why cant people just enjoy the fact that we have been promoted.

1 hour ago, Gav said:

It's quite clear that one or two posters need to find another hobby, they've obviously been damaged beyond all repair if some of the comments on here are anything to go by.

I'm still absolutely buzzing after Doncaster, the fans were absolutely amazing, the scenes never been seen in 30yrs+ as they swarmed on to the pitch at full time to carry the players off shoulder high, superb scenes. 

There is a time and place for criticising team selection, players and managerial performance, it's usually here most days of the week, but as supporters we should all be rejoicing at what has been a fantastic season, a phenomenal effort by Mowbray and his staff, and I can't wait to applaud their efforts next week. 

The whinge fest at this stage is unnecessary, born out of belated self preservation and attention seeking at its best.

It's been a tremendous season, so why not give it a rest until July, because you'll have plenty to whinge about next season I'm sure.

Onwards and we are going Upwards! 

I am still buzzing from getting promotion and looking forward to enjoyable summer and next season. I think we can get Top half finish with the right signings and no key players long term injuries. 

Mowbray, staff and players deserve a proper thankyou from the fans for delivering what they said they would do

1 hour ago, garnersfags said:

Ok, I accept that point, so Tony is not a liar but my point was that a number of those players could have played at Charlton, and Graham could and should have played 60 min from the start if he was going to give him 30 min at the end....

which players then? apart from Graham. 

I will accept Graham should/could have played from the start. so no argument from me. 

1 hour ago, Stuart said:

Got it in one. Chaddy. I’m jealous of you. That’s exactly it. 

thanks

41 minutes ago, Stuart said:

I thought you had grown up. Clearly not.

Find one post from me picking holes in promotion. Yet more straw man BS.

We will not get back to back promotions so it’s yet another moot point.

You are so black or white: Promotion = Mowbray is unquestionable.

see post below by Biz

Mowbray deliver what he promise didn't he? 

36 minutes ago, Biz said:

No manager is unquestionable, but to talk about the “10 game clock” resetting less than a week after the Keepmoat scenes, absolutely sums you up.

Yes Stuart did. 

30 minutes ago, arbitro said:

If the likes of Raya, Williams, Bennett & Dack were injured (and have been carrying injuries for some time allegedly) then why didn't they stay at Brockhall for treatment instead of travelling to London and back and standing around in bars and clubs until silly o'clock. Mowbray used travelling fatigue as a reason for the inadequate performances against Gillingham and Bristol and yet injured players are travelling unnecessarily.

I don't mind the changes but I don't buy the reasons for them.

don't buy the reasons so basically calling Mowbray a liar then? disguise tbh if you think Mowbray is that after his open and honest comments and views to fans since day 1. 

didn't the have a promotion party last night in London?

27 minutes ago, Tom said:

I’m staying out of the tit for tat that’s been rife since the game but I find this a little hypocritical and inconsistent.

You were championing Travis to the moon and back when it looked like Mowbray was about to include him and putting him in your preferred line up, since it was clear he wasn’t going to be used you’ve omitted him from the bench even.

So does he deserve to and / or is good enough?

Tit for tat? I would say a little side debate as the main debate about whether we would get promotion or whether Mowbray was good enough has been settled. 

I like Travis a lot but his sending off was rash sadly tho I did enjoy Soccer am video of it. 

I gone for Evans as he has been performing well enough for me but Travis would be part of my match day squad next season. IMO, he is ready for the first team

Just now, AlanK said:

I'm sure we will all be checking the Wigan score every 2 minutes at ewood especially if we take the lead against Oxford.. 

Whatever happens, I'm going to enjoy the occasion and give Mowbray and the lads the send off they deserve

I will be enjoying the game and watching my team for the finally time of this season. 

I wont be checking the Wigan score as we are promoted and that's all that matter. 

• Moderation Lead

I’ll be honest, I don’t think I’ve ever been more embarrassed reading a match thread. 

Question marks over ten selection, fair enough, but we are still promoted by the way and there’s still a chance of winning the league. I’m off to spend some time outside and possibly the pub.

Mine’s a pint of cyanide....

Just now, K-Hod said:

I’ll be honest, I don’t think I’ve ever been more embarrassed reading a match thread. 

Question marks over ten selection, fair enough, but we are still promoted by the way and there’s still a chance of winning the league. I’m off to spend some time outside and possibly the pub.

That'll be £4.80 please sir. That's what I paid for a pint of Peroni on Friday !

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

I am still buzzing from getting promotion and looking forward to enjoyable summer and next season. I think we can get Top half finish with the right signings and no key players long term injuries. 

Mowbray, staff and players deserve a proper thankyou from the fans for delivering what they said they would do

which players then? apart from Graham. 

I will accept Graham should/could have played from the start. so no argument from me. 

thanks

see post below by Biz

Mowbray deliver what he promise didn't he? 

Yes Stuart did. 

don't buy the reasons so basically calling Mowbray a liar then? disguise tbh if you think Mowbray is that after his open and honest comments and views to fans since day 1. 

didn't the have a promotion party last night in London?

Tit for tat? I would say a little side debate as the main debate about whether we would get promotion or whether Mowbray was good enough has been settled. 

I like Travis a lot but his sending off was rash sadly tho I did enjoy Soccer am video of it. 

I gone for Evans as he has been performing well enough for me but Travis would be part of my match day squad next season. IMO, he is ready for the first team

I will be enjoying the game and watching my team for the finally time of this season. 

I wont be checking the Wigan score as we are promoted and that's all that matter. 

Just a little white one. Don't take it personally because people have the temerity to challenge things he says and does.

By the way why do you think injured players were made to travel to London and back?

• Moderation Lead
Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

That'll be £4.80 please sir.

Slightly more expensive than the £4.20 for a Moretti in my local but beggars can’t be choosers...

19 minutes ago, AlanK said:

I'm sure we will all be checking the Wigan score every 2 minutes at ewood especially if we take the lead against Oxford.

You can't have it both ways.

You either care that we win the title, and therefore are understadably disappointed about the Charlton selection, or you agree that the season is over and therefore treat the Oxford game as merely an exhibition match, and care not about the KeepMoat result.

I still see it as a brilliantly successful season and I'll still support Mowbray to guide us through an extremely challenging season, but at the same time I will be disappointed if we lose our last 2 games of the season, and I will respectfully say so on here. 

Sorry.

Tony has done fantastic. The Aim was promotion we got it. Hats off. The title was their to take we should have gone for it like Wigan did. Like any other club would have. If we got beat yesterday trying to win the title and Wigan won then I say well we did our best, we got promoted and the celebrations continue with no care who plays at Oxford, kids , reserves, I wouldn't care if Tony came on for the last half an hour. We didn't do that we surrendered the title like losers. No the title challenge has been completely aborted I shall carry on the promotion celebrations and enjoy the achievement of promotion. Onwards and upwards. Where on our back

Again, I disagree with you on the first point Stuart.  I think Mowbray has supported the younger lads and certainly hasn't halted Nuttall's development.  He had a dip in form in the Under-23's in mid-season which underlined that there are a number of aspects of his game which need work.  Personally, I think it was a wise decision to hold them back until next season and keep them away from the stress of a promotion push.  The only one I might have gambled with would have been Lewis Travis.  You only have to look at the grief that the likes of Samuel and Antonsson have had from the crowd in recent games - a young lad might well have been destroyed by that sort of criticism. 

You are right in that I do enjoy following the Rovers Stuart but the last few seasons have been difficult and even I question my sanity arriving home at 4am after another midweek defeat.  However, I've found Mowbray to be a breath of fresh air and someone who has completely reinvigorated by enthusiasm.  

I would totally agree that next season will be difficult.  You only have to look at Bolton's woes to see how difficult it could be.  However, I believe Mowbray is the man to take the club forward - hopefully for the next few years - and that he can build on the success of this season.  Obviously, he will need financial support be both he and Steve Waggott seem to have a good relationship with Mr & Mrs Desai and they, in turn, seem to have confidence in what is being done on the ground at Ewood.  Hopefully, the corner has been turned but only time will tell.  But whatever the future holds in store, God willing, we will both be supporting OUR club.

and next season they will be held back from the stress of a relegation battle!!!

Come on Parson.  The bottom line is if players are good enough then they are old enough.  We talk about young players now as lads in their early 20's.  It's feckin ridiculous - have they got the b@lls or not - you find out by playing them.  Remember 17/18 year old Phil Jones against Chelsea in the PREMIER LEAGUE not the god forsaken League 1 - he showed the bottle and got the fans and rest of the team going.

Enough of this namby pamby stuff - IMV, Mowbray simply doesn't like playing the 'kids'.

4 hours ago, Stuart said:

Definitely. Sounds like we’ve been lucky to even put a team out for the last month.

If we’d have broken down two weeks ago it could have been so different.

Glad you’ve seen sense. ??

They could have broken down but risked playing on so we could seal promotion. Ideally they we probably should have been resting a couple in the last few weeks, Mowbray alluded to that a few times and Dack clearly hadn't been himself for 3-4 games. 

It's never nice losing, but no point over reacting for narrowly losing an away game against one of the better teams in the league,after we have accomplished our mission. 

The manger and players have achieved what we wanted. No point risking anyone getting injured now. 

1 hour ago, K-Hod said:

It's embarrassing alright. Some of it makes me feel like those fans don't even deserve th success we have had this season. How they now choose to act like sulky brats and are so critical now is astounding to me 

2 hours ago, garnersfags said:

You can't have it both ways.

You either care that we win the title, and therefore are understadably disappointed about the Charlton selection, or you agree that the season is over and therefore treat the Oxford game as merely an exhibition match, and care not about the KeepMoat result.

I still see it as a brilliantly successful season and I'll still support Mowbray to guide us through an extremely challenging season, but at the same time I will be disappointed if we lose our last 2 games of the season, and I will respectfully say so on here. 

Sorry.

Not quite sure what you're getting at ?

Do I want us to win the league ? I don't even need to answer that.

Will I enjoy the occasion at Ewood to celebrate our season ? Yes , regardless of finishing 1st or 2nd.

What I will not do is sulk about losing away to a good team in 4th place and start calling Mowbray out

Just now, AlanK said:

Not quite sure what you're getting at ?

Do I want us to win the league ? I don't even need to answer that.

Will I enjoy the occasion at Ewood to celebrate our season ? Yes , regardless of finishing 1st or 2nd.

What I will not do is sulk about losing away to a good team in 4th place and start calling Mowbray out

Who had said Mowbray Out?

That's not what I said. 

Calling Mowbray out is an expression. I didn't say anyone said Mowbray out

eff sake, we've won promotion  and I'm wasting my time explaining basic English. I'm done with this. 

Fill your bloody boots

Just now, AlanK said:

That's not what I said. 

Calling Mowbray out is an expression. I didn't say anyone said Mowbray out

eff sake, we've won promotion  and I'm wasting my time explaining basic English. I'm done with this. 

Fill your bloody boots

Ok so ‘calling him out’ (hardly the best grammar anyway) means questioning the bloke’s team selection and tactics for an individual game. And that isn’t allowed as far as you are concerned because he won most of the others. Gotcha.

I wasn't happy with the loss yesterday and the selection choices but in fairness the goal was a fluke and we had the better of the chances and on another day the result could have gone differently. The title has gone now unfortunately but I'd have taken 2nd back in August no doubts about it.

Since we seem to be still talking about Charlton in this thread, I figured i'd give my opinion. My only gripe about yesterday was not the "enforced" changes but the appalling formation the manager chose to experiment with for 63 minutes. I actually think the players on the pitch gave 100% effort and wanted to win, but had the huge disadvantage of playing a 5-5-0 formation for an hour.

Yes, Caddis is terrible and shaped like a keg, but we literally played a back 5, two holding midfielders and Armstrong and Samuel glued to each touchline, leaving only 5"4 Payne as our "target man" from a CAM position, no striker. "Park the Bus" springs to mind.

Same fans near me were actually singing "Mulgrew at the back, No-one in attack" 

I honestly cannot think of a worse formation since the fist game of the 2004(?) season at home to WBA, when Souness started with a back three, 3 left backs (Matteo, Gresko and Grey) and Javier De Pedro on the left wing for his only 45 mins for Rovers.

I'm happy to praise the manager but his back 3/5 formation has cost us plenty of points this season.

Still, a lucky deflection for their goal (Mulgrew should have cleared it better), Samuel hitting the bar (easier to score), few good GK saves from Amos and yet another woeful referee. Charlton defended for their lives all 2nd half and time wasted like champs yet our "B" team still almost got a point.

3 hours ago, arbitro said:

Just a little white one. Don't take it personally because people have the temerity to challenge things he says and does.

By the way why do you think injured players were made to travel to London and back?

I did say so before

didn't they have promotion party around London for night as they wont be back in Training until Tuesday so don't see the problem

My lads and I felt we had a good day out yesterday. Disappointed to lose but can’t remember the last time we felt that. 

What would have really upset me would be spending well over £300 to watch the U23s. Now that would be taking the mick out of the support. 

3 hours ago, Oldgregg86 said:

Tony has done fantastic. The Aim was promotion we got it. Hats off. The title was their to take we should have gone for it like Wigan did. Like any other club would have. If we got beat yesterday trying to win the title and Wigan won then I say well we did our best, we got promoted and the celebrations continue with no care who plays at Oxford, kids , reserves, I wouldn't care if Tony came on for the last half an hour. We didn't do that we surrendered the title like losers. No the title challenge has been completely aborted I shall carry on the promotion celebrations and enjoy the achievement of promotion. Onwards and upwards. Where on our back

I’m not sure a home draw against 19th-placed Wimbledon is compelling evidence of Wigan “going for it”

Archived