BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] THE BATTLE FOR PROMOTION....WON.

6 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

You have answer your own point. Promotion was objective and it was delivered..im looking to the Oxford game and enjoying the last game..

If we win the league we win the league but promotion is what we all wanted and out of league 1. 

We all know that promotion was the priority.

It is the TM induced irrelevance of being Champions bought into by his acolytes that is nauseating.

It goes against all sporting principles and demeans whomever actually wins L1.

There was no need for Mowbray to run his mouth on this issue, apart perhaps from trying to justify giving his pal Caddis a game and belittling Wigan, the likely winners.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Mission accomplished, promotion was the aim, and next season is now more important than this, but the chance to win silverware and titles doesn't come along very often and it's wrong for Mowbray not to take that chance seriously.

Some great players have won nothing in their careers - and would give alot to have a league winner's medal sitting on their sideboards, even a third division one.  I'll bet there'll be some very disappointed Rovers players come the final whistle against Oxford on Saturday. 

I think the likes of Mulgrew, Graham, Lenihan and Smallwood demanded to play v Charlton and try to win and try for the Title. They are all likely to be carrying knocks too.

5 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

Another wally statement.  Trophies are very important to the club.  Full members cup was cracking.  It's on the list and will be there in 100 years just like the League 1 title should be.  We have a lot of trophies down the years in relation to the size if town etc....you're happy to let Wigan get another? I'm not and especially with that dingle toss pot in charge. 

Tony needed to grow a pair and shove it up his arse.

Spot on and a great example of a 'minor' trophy being cherished by Rovers fans. It is still clear in my mind being on the terrace behind the goal as Rovers showed us the Cup. Only TMs Goldfish could forget that day.

TTF Mowbrsy wasn't our manager then, we would have forfeited our chance earlydoors.

So did we want the first team playing in the Checkatrade?

Getting to Wembley after those extra games didn’t do Shrewsbury much good, sure they had a ‘great day out’ though.

I was there on Saturday, yes I had a tinge of disappointment coming off the ground, but does it matter? We HAD to get promoted straight away, the club could have been in serious strife without it, but we have done, so let’s enjoy Saturday in a packed Ewood and put League 1 behind us, hopefully for good.

6 hours ago, speeeeeeedie said:

For me there's only 1 title; the Premier League Champs. The whole goal of teams is to get there. 3rd division champions is worth little. Promotion is the prize.

Correct. I don't remember anyone complaining when we went up with Souness. We weren't champs then either. Same in 1992. We scraped into the playoffs that time,

Who's complaining about going up? I just want to see us lift fhe title trophy aganst Oxford. Mowbrays comments about not caring if we did or not were disrespectful to the club and the fans who want to win it.

Your comment about the Prem being the only title worth having is shameful. You sound like a Man Utd fan who only got into football with the advent of Sky. Embarrassing.

Just now, Oldgregg86 said:

We are never going to win the premier league again. If we don't take the cups seriously because we are avoiding relegation or pushing for promotion and the league titles don't matter what is the bloody point

Promotion’s the bloody point!

Just like it was at Wembley in ‘92 and Deepdale in 2001!

7 hours ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

Am I alone in spotting a correlation between those most outraged by our surrender of a title we have not once been in pole position to win and Tony Mowbray’s most vociferous critics during the season?

Despite the Wigan manager’s press interviews, I wonder how many sinews his team have strained in their unquenchable, awe-inspiring amassing of two consecutive draws since they won promotion as they drive to win the title, especially given how they apparently crush teams at will versus our cautious, supine stumbling over the line earlier than we ever have done in my lifetime.

Point the finger, and make all the “correlations” you like but that actually makes it worse. Wigan’s slip up should have let us in and hasn’t.

Some people on here seem glad that we we lost to Charlton. Promotion AND the opportunity to open old wounds and score points. Personally I’m gutted every time we lose - especially when it is self-inflicted.

Thanks again Tony.

13 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

So did we want the first team playing in the Checkatrade?

Getting to Wembley after those extra games didn’t do Shrewsbury much good, sure they had a ‘great day out’ though.

I was there on Saturday, yes I had a tinge of disappointment coming off the ground, but does it matter? We HAD to get promoted straight away, the club could have been in serious strife without it, but we have done, so let’s enjoy Saturday in a packed Ewood and put League 1 behind us, hopefully for good.

The point is promotion was achieved. The next goal was to won the league title. The two aren't mutually exclusive. Unfortunately, Mowbray didn't care but he should'nt  have run his mouth and disrespected the fans and players that do. Thats the bloody point.

I might as well stop here, because I’m that relieved that we are up, I honestly don’t care.

At 3pm Saturday, the competitive juices were flowing , so I was hopeful, but now? Does it really matter!?

Not sure if that makes me small time because I don’t want a trophy or a big time Charlie because I don’t care about the third division tin pot cup.

Either way I’m on cloud 9 regardless.

7 hours ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

Am I alone in spotting a correlation between those most outraged by our surrender of a title we have not once been in pole position to win and Tony Mowbray’s most vociferous critics during the season?

Despite the Wigan manager’s press interviews, I wonder how many sinews his team have strained in their unquenchable, awe-inspiring amassing of two consecutive draws since they won promotion as they drive to win the title, especially given how they apparently crush teams at will versus our cautious, supine stumbling over the line earlier than we ever have done in my lifetime.

Yes you are. 

Just now, Mattyblue said:

I might as well stop here, because I’m that relieved that we are up, I honestly don’t care.

Not sure if that makes me small time because I don’t want a trophy or a big time Charlie because I don’t care about the third division tin pot cup.

Either way I’m on cloud 9 regardless.

The 'tin pot cup' thing answers your question.;);)

11 hours ago, Stuart said:

Like I said at the time Paul, Mowbray’s selection was neither one thing nor the other and proved to be a meaningless defeat (as I’m being told to accept) from a meaningless patchwork side.

The only logic is that Mowbray was happy to lose to have a point to make with Venkys. If I were them I’d point to the investment in the very successful U23 side and say “first prove none of them are good enough”.

Stuart I’ve no desire to get involved in the discussion over the rights and wrongs of Mowbray’s choices or how it reflects on his attitude ot the club’s ambition etc. Everyone will have their own view, I’m not questioning any of them.

I’ve made two posts since the final whistle as someone who went to the game. Along with my sons I had a great day out, our performance was typical of our form since Christmas and I was disappointed to lose. My one criticism of the team selection is to start Samuel ahead of Graham. I’m never happy when Graham gets subbed by Samuel although I do understand why, as I’m sure Danny does.

As said twice before if I found I had made a long, tiring and expensive trip to Charlton to watch a largely U23 side I would have been unhappy.

Over the course of Saturday I heard one dissenting voice.

7 minutes ago, Paul said:

Stuart I’ve no desire to get involved in the discussion over the rights and wrongs of Mowbray’s choices or how it reflects on his attitude ot the club’s ambition etc. Everyone will have their own view, I’m not questioning any of them.

I’ve made two posts since the final whistle as someone who went to the game. Along with my sons I had a great day out, our performance was typical of our form since Christmas and I was disappointed to lose. My one criticism of the team selection is to start Samuel ahead of Graham. I’m never happy when Graham gets subbed by Samuel although I do understand why, as I’m sure Danny does.

As said twice before if I found I had made a long, tiring and expensive trip to Charlton to watch a largely U23 side I would have been unhappy.

Good! Match days should be about supporting the team. Whinging is what messageboards are for.

Just now, Stuart said:

Good! Match days should be about supporting the team. Whinging is what messageboards are for.

...and ToMo doesn't read social media anyway, he said so the other day, so he won't mind either way. I only point this out because some MB'ers get upset if one is 'negative' , like it actually impacts the team what is written on here.

42 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

Yes you are. 

No he’s not. Its akin to criticising a paramedic for breaking too many ribs giving you CPR!

1 hour ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Look in a mirror

I’m not criticising the club or staff because we lost two games all year ARA. 

“I know you are, you said you are so what am I?” Sheesh.

Another point to add; according to some of the same critics(we’ve been “poor lately” and we “limped over the line” to get promoted). So how was playing one or two more injured/tired out players in the same formation going to “guarantee” victory at Charlton?

The biggest thing for me overall, the hardest thing to understand; we should’ve won. We dominated most of the game, had the best chances, conceded a fluke goal and the referee constantly gave all 50/50s to Charlton...

If we’d turned up, been murdered 5-0 and the comments “it didn’t matter” came, then we’d have some questions but this was a professional display against one of the better teams in the league.

To suggest that we’ve played poor recently, and then say we “threw” the game by changing the team... It’s just the same people desperate to grind that axe.

32 minutes ago, Biz said:

No he’s not. Its akin to criticising a paramedic for breaking too many ribs giving you CPR!

I’m not criticising the club or staff because we lost two games all year ARA. 

“I know you are, you said you are so what am I?” Sheesh.

Another point to add; according to some of the same critics(we’ve been “poor lately” and we “limped over the line” to get promoted). So how was playing one or two more injured/tired out players in the same formation going to “guarantee” victory at Charlton?

The biggest thing for me overall, the hardest thing to understand; we should’ve won. We dominated most of the game, had the best chances, conceded a fluke goal and the referee constantly gave all 50/50s to Charlton...

If we’d turned up, been murdered 5-0 and the comments “it didn’t matter” came, then we’d have some questions but this was a professional display against one of the better teams in the league.

To suggest that we’ve played poor recently, and then say we “threw” the game by changing the team... It’s just the same people desperate to grind that axe.

Ah--those same desperate people! The ones who have different views to you!

1 hour ago, Stuart said:

Point the finger, and make all the “correlations” you like but that actually makes it worse. Wigan’s slip up should have let us in and hasn’t.

Some people on here seem glad that we we lost to Charlton. Promotion AND the opportunity to open old wounds and score points. Personally I’m gutted every time we lose - especially when it is self-inflicted.

Thanks again Tony.

So basically, what you are saying is that it's OK to play injured players or is it that you know the state of the injuries better than the manager and the medical department at Brockhall and know they are fit to play?

59 minutes ago, Paul said:

So picking Caddis over Travis was a good move?

Just now, Parsonblue said:

So basically, what you are saying is that it's OK to play injured players or is it that you know the state of the injuries better than the manager and the medical department at Brockhall and know they are fit to play?

Its not the personnel, its the attitude and quotes during the week that have shown total disregard. People arent saying that injured players should play. 

Archived