BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] THE BATTLE FOR PROMOTION....WON.

1 hour ago, JacknOry said:

Even if i dont completely agree - that made me chuckle.

Sorry, I was just using naughty shock tactics against those who have struggled to enjoy an overall, amazing season.  

Don't get me wrong, I'd rather win it than not - but right now, Tony Mowbray is the main man in my eyes. He doesn't spurt crap, he's honest, honourable, he's got the results, closed a massive points gap when we looked like we'd be stuck in this awful league, signed some very good young players, reconnected an ailing fanbase and given the club heart, soul and pride. Yet...

...I'm in shock how quickly that amazing night at Doncaster has been brushed aside and how much criticism Mowbray has got for protecting his knackered or injured players and ultimately, our best interests as a team - all because some want an even greater recognition by a league we are pretty much ashamed to be part of.  

There are some very ungrateful and sulky fans on BRFCS, with extremely short memories, who seem hell-bent on spreading negativity at the slightest opportunity.  

Mission accomplished - savour it...for longer than 72 hours.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, AllRoverAsia said:

I am way to old to know who Boyle is. Now if it had been Les Dawson.....

I'm a big fan of his too.

Apologies if my remark/joke overstepped the line for you. 

Ironically, 

A draw at Charlton given both teams relative situations with our strongest team would have been a good result (Yes?), yet in that hypothetical scenario i would have bet that Wigan would get the 3 points and the title race would be over on GD already. I said to my sister around 5/6 games ago that all i wanted was it to go to the final day, it has. We are 17 goals behind, so TM should send a team out to try and win 17-0, why not?! 

Football is a strange game... We just might win it.

However, I think to lose the league on GD would send an important message to both the manager and owners over defensive/cautious tactics (at times) this season and also our lack of squad depth and the need for strengthening... and also the need to leave Williams back on set pieces as he's like an extra defender for the opposition inside their six yard box.

58 minutes ago, Stuart said:

It’s not a “pity” at all. It’s exactly why I wasn’t happy after the Charlton game.

And after all of your postings and put downs about this game YOU ONLY WATCHED THE HIGHLIGHTS??!!

Go and have a lie down Stuart. You are getting too worked up. You'll give yourself a hernia 

From the highlights and general consensus of those at the game, we should have at least gotten a draw. If Samuel's header off the bar goes in, we wouldn't be having this conversation. Fine margins. We achieved our goal, to me that is all that matters. 

Wigan aren't setting the world alight lately so who knows, maybe Doncaster will pull somehting out of the bag. Would that make you happy or would you still be banging on about the Charlton game? 

I think history is being rewritten somewhat on how well we played. My view of it was we were atrocious in the first half and if we'd come out like that in the second we'd probably have been on the end of a very heavy defeat. I expect they got a right rocket at half time and improved markedly. Could have nicked a point but didn't.

I hope the approach to the Oxford game is completely different. I want to get the impression from the manager that we are going to treat it as seriously as if we needed to win to secure promotion and ask Wigan a question. On the pitch we need at the least a really rousing performance throughout or the 10k missing fans who have popped in for a look won't be back in a hurry.

8 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

That first comment is childish, petulant and in my opinion strips you of any integrity you may have had.

I also feel that you are either misunderstanding my point, or purposely evading it. Ive never once questioned his honesty, in fact it was his honest comments last midweek that have brought all of this on. Just because something is honest doesnt make it right.

I, along with many of our fan base, actually seems to care whether we win silverware. Does that mean we would perceive the season to be a failure without it? No. Does that mean we dont appreciate Mowbray or the success he has brought this season? Certainly not.

Whether we won, drew or loss, had a full strength team or loads of injuries, none of that is what has irked me and many others. Its the indifference that I perceive Mowbray to have shown towards a rare attempt to win silverware that I totally disagree with. That said, either way Ive enjoyed the season as a whole and a lot of my gratitude lands at Mowbrays door for that. Ive never hidden that but it also doesnt exempt him from a totally seperate issue and the criticism I feel he has warranted.

integrity? :lol:

Would you rather Mowbray lie to the fans? 

Didnt Mowbray and the players play to win on Saturday at Charlton? 

3 hours ago, Mark45 said:

I am not understand why so much blame on Tony for winning Championship promotion and 2 games to play?

Every week and month he called wrong, he win promotion called wrong?

Maybe biding in summer for Owen Coyle back? Paul Lambert? Steve Kean?

Support Tony and players please.

Agree Mark

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

You're on extremely thin ice citing the integrity argument especially after the furore our fans made about Huddersfield last season. If I'd have been one of Charlton's direct opponents for a play off place I'd have been very disappointed by TM's comments pre match but my stance on Huddersfield was that they'd earned the right to do whatever they wanted with their team selection so I'm not going to be hypocritical and say TM wasn't perfectly entitled to do exactly the same. As a fan of our own Club I'd have much preferred it if he'd viewed it differently though.

1 hour ago, Pedro said:

Sorry, I was just using naughty shock tactics against those who have struggled to enjoy an overall, amazing season.  

Don't get me wrong, I'd rather win it than not - but right now, Tony Mowbray is the main man in my eyes. He doesn't spurt crap, he's honest, honourable, he's got the results, closed a massive points gap when we looked like we'd be stuck in this awful league, signed some very good young players, reconnected an ailing fanbase and given the club heart, soul and pride. Yet...

...I'm in shock how quickly that amazing night at Doncaster has been brushed aside and how much criticism Mowbray has got for protecting his knackered or injured players and ultimately, our best interests as a team - all because some want an even greater recognition by a league we are pretty much ashamed to be part of.  

There are some very ungrateful and sulky fans on BRFCS, with extremely short memories, who seem hell-bent on spreading negativity at the slightest opportunity.  

There are quite a few aspects of your post that id like to challenge, im going to respond predominantly from my point of view, my opinions but ones that I know are shared by others:

Tony Mowbray is the main man in my eyes - Only a very slim minority have suggested that Mowbray has done anything but a very good job. Tony Mowbray is an incredibly popular manager and I am incredibly appreciative of what hes done here, as are the vast majority of the fan base. To suggest because of the criticism hes received regarding this one issue, that he is anything but appreciated, popular and well backed, is quite frankly incorrect.

I'm in shock how quickly that amazing night at Doncaster has been brushed aside - This, with respect is total nonsense. Again, personally and I know from others who share my opinions on Mowbrays lack of importance regarding the title, are still made up regarding promotion, looking forward to Saturday, the only reason that so much focus has been on the debate regarding the title is that there are 2 opposite sides of the debate. Debate like that will always provoke plenty of posts.

how much criticism Mowbray has got for protecting his knackered or injured players - The issue is not with his team selection. The issue is solely with the comments, attitude and disregard prior to the game, suggesting that now promotion is confirmed, that the title is irrelevant.

There are some very ungrateful and sulky fans on BRFCS, with extremely short memories, who seem hell-bent on spreading negativity at the slightest opportunity - To be quite honest, there are a lot of mistruths being told, ive tried to dispel a couple here, anyone who genuinely thinks that Rovers fans, bar a minority, are anything but delighted at promotion, are totally behind Mowbray, and are solely annoyed because we lost at Charlton, has to be either paranoid, misinformed, ignorant or on the wind up.

58 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Go and have a lie down Stuart. You are getting too worked up. You'll give yourself a hernia 

From the highlights and general consensus of those at the game, we should have at least gotten a draw. If Samuel's header off the bar goes in, we wouldn't be having this conversation. Fine margins. We achieved our goal, to me that is all that matters. 

Wigan aren't setting the world alight lately so who knows, maybe Doncaster will pull somehting out of the bag. Would that make you happy or would you still be banging on about the Charlton game? 

That comment is totally out of order. It implies that Stuart is happier when Rovers do badly which is not fair at all.

The comment about fine margins suggests that again, youve overlooked the main issue, which is the attitude that the title is an irrelevance! Not that we lost!

4 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Agree Mark

What are you on about?! I was on about your lack of integrity, making stupid comments about Owen Coyle, nothing to do with Mowbray.

I said Mowbray didnt lie to the fans, but just because something is truthful doesnt make it right.

Im sure they did, but the comments earlier in the week suggested that the title was irrelevant.

Yes or no, I feel I have to break things down with you because you will just evade my point/question, or continue to try and wind people up:

1) You dont attach any importance to winning the league title at all. Do you at least understand that other people do care about winning trophies, even if you dont?

2) If the answer to 1 is yes, then do you appreciate that comments such as no one will remember in a couple of years who has won the league, suggest that weve thrown in the towel 2 games earlier than needed?

I just want a simple yes or no to these 2 questions please. You must have some form of empathy and understanding of other peoples views, surely?!

I feel like im going round in circles to an extent, some people are capable of taking views on board that perhaps dont match their own, and have a reasonable debate, but the same myths are being peddled and it is so frustrating. 

99% of the criticism has been solely down to the attitude implied by the manager, and since repeated by many supporters, that winning a league title is irrelevant.

19 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

You're on extremely thin ice citing the integrity argument especially after the furore our fans made about Huddersfield last season. If I'd have been one of Charlton's direct opponents for a play off place I'd have been very disappointed by TM's comments pre match but my stance on Huddersfield was that they'd earned the right to do whatever they wanted with their team selection so I'm not going to be hypocritical and say TM wasn't perfectly entitled to do exactly the same. As a fan of our own Club I'd have much preferred it if he'd viewed it differently though.

I was furious re Huddersfield last year and uncomfortable with Saturday's team selection.... before I read Mowbray's comments re injuries etc.

I have no reason to distrust TM. I think we all owe him that bit of good faith.

My only remaining question is around the choice of Caddis overTravis, who always seems to have speed, energy and drive. 

Anyway, the views across this message board reflect our conversations after the game.

Personally, I thought we did enough to have won the Charlton game comfortably, although I confess I couldn't see the bottom half of the goal mouth for all the people standing in front of me. Charlton's goal was as scabby, as they come and I am just glad nobody scored such a goal during our previous games. Imagine the angst that would have brought!

Our fans were magnificent again and I was glad to share in the party atmosphere with no pressure. I did feel a touch of anti climax, though, after the highs of Doncaster.

What an opportunity to capitalise on all the good will earned by TM and his band of brothers. The next few weeks will speak volumes.

2 minutes ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

I was furious re Huddersfield last year and uncomfortable with Saturday's team selection.... before I read Mowbray's comments re injuries etc. 

I have no reason to distrust TM. I think we all owe him that bit of good faith

This debate has a touch of the Huddersfield episode to it. The difference this time is that Rovers have earned the right to rest players. 

None of us know what Mowbray is thinking. Someone posted a few quotes from him earlier saying that the players are judged every day. He was probably giving his fringe players a chance to prove themselves. He is looking to next season, as he should be.

24 minutes ago, speeeeeeedie said:

This debate has a touch of the Huddersfield episode to it. The difference this time is that Rovers have earned the right to rest players. 

None of us know what Mowbray is thinking. Someone posted a few quotes from him earlier saying that the players are judged every day. He was probably giving his fringe players a chance to prove themselves. He is looking to next season, as he should be.

So did Huddersfield.

Now you mention it, I doubt TM is very popular in Scunthorpe and Plymouth right now, put it that way. How many Rovers fans even now 12 months on still want Huddersfield/Wagner to be relegated after their "C" team lost to Birmingham? more than a few I'm sure.

Side comment, nice touch of class from the vast majority of Charlton fans to give our players a standing ovation when leaving the pitch, even their (loud AF) PA guy congratulated us. Suppose we would have done the same under the circumstances.

3 minutes ago, Angry_Pirate said:

Now you mention it, I doubt TM is very popular in Scunthorpe and Plymouth right now, put it that way. How many Rovers fans even now 12 months on still want Huddersfield/Wagner to be relegated after their "C" team lost to Birmingham? more than a few I'm sure.

Side comment, nice touch of class from the vast majority of Charlton fans to give our players a standing ovation when leaving the pitch, even their (loud AF) PA guy congratulated us. Suppose we would have done the same under the circumstances.

Might have in 2000. Can't remember though. No real hostility with Charlton in the past either and they know what it's like to suffer from bad ownership.

10 hours ago, Pedro said:

You don't read the Daily Mail do you by any chance?----"the traitors within" and all that-----you know Judges, House of Lords---usual scum.

8 hours ago, Angry_Pirate said:

Ya, I was thinking that. If I was a Plymouth fan, I would be annoyed, but if you look closely at our team versus the one Huddersfield put out, there isn't really a comparison. We still had our 2 first choice half centre halves, 2 starting centre midfielders, 4 internationals and 2 players form the league 1 team of the year. Huddersfield basically brought in 10 players who had barely played all season. 

28 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Ya, I was thinking that. If I was a Plymouth fan, I would be annoyed, but if you look closely at our team versus the one Huddersfield put out, there isn't really a comparison. We still had our 2 first choice half centre halves, 2 starting centre midfielders, 4 internationals and 2 players form the league 1 team of the year. Huddersfield basically brought in 10 players who had barely played all season. 

One thing you seem to haev failed to grasp, is that peoples grievance comes not from.the team selection, but from the comments and attitude.

Just now, roversfan99 said:

One thing you seem to haev failed to grasp, is that peoples grievance comes not from.the team selection, but from the comments and attitude.

What you are missing is that according to many there was no lack of effort from the players during the game. Sounded like our typical performance of one goof half, one poor half. 

Would you disagree? 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

What you are missing is that according to many there was no lack of effort from the players during the game. Sounded like our typical performance of one goof half, one poor half. 

Would you disagree? 

Good is stretching at a tad, but put it this way, the performance alone wouldnt have warranted all of this!

The criticism isnt even to do with the Charlton game. Its solely to do with the attitude that the title is irrelevant.

Archived