BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] THE BATTLE FOR PROMOTION....WON.

Just now, blueboy3333 said:

Tony's had better cream toppings at better places.:rolleyes:

Anyway, lets not be 'negative';)

Yes indeed, it's a good week and Saturday will be fantastic at Ewood.

(I actually think Wigan will totally bottle it, we will win and Tony will just have to make space on his mantlepiece:rover:)

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can’t believe all the whingeing still going on. Guys, get over it, it doesn’t matter, we are promoted.  Finishing first or second will do fine. More than fine actually, after a poor start it’s brilliant.

1 hour ago, den said:

Can’t believe all the whingeing still going on. Guys, get over it, it doesn’t matter, we are promoted.  Finishing first or second will do fine. More than fine actually, after a poor start it’s brilliant.

It doesn't matter to you Den but it does to me. Promotion was the aim but once the title was achievable then in my opinion we should have gone all out to win it. And after a poor start being called champions would make the rest of the campaign sound even better.

The Americans have a great saying  'whoever said it's not about the winning probably came second'.

8 minutes ago, arbitro said:

It doesn't matter to you Den but it does to me. Promotion was the aim but once the title was achievable then in my opinion we should have gone all out to win it. And after a poor start being called champions would make the rest of the campaign sound even better.

The Americans have a great saying  'whoever said it's not about the winning probably came second'.

Is it a bad season in your opinion if we don't come first? 

Its about perception, if we were still jousting with Shrewsbury for 2nd, no one would care about the title. It's a credit to the manager and team that we are still in with a chance of winning it on the last day, with promotion assured. 

We get it, coming first would be great, but I don't think people need to keep labouring the point.  Will it be used all summer as a sign that Tony isn't ruthless enough or isn't a winner? 

Enjoy the achievement that this season is/was I say 

31 minutes ago, arbitro said:

Not sure that saying really works for promotion.

Promotion is winning.

19 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Its about perception, if we were still jousting with Shrewsbury for 2nd, no one would care about the title. It's a credit to the manager and team that we are still in with a chance of winning it on the last day, with promotion assured. 

We get it, coming first would be great, but I don't think people need to keep labouring the point.  Will it be used all summer as a sign that Tony isn't ruthless enough or isn't a winner? 

I don't think anybody in their right mind would say being promoted makes it's a bad season and I can't remember reading that from any posters.

It's not about perception to me but reality. We were in with a great chance of winning the league but for several reason didn't take it. In my opinion the title would have been the cherry on the icing.

I was replying to Den so I wasn't labouring a point. This is a message board where opinions are mixed. You chose to reply so are you labouring your point?

7 minutes ago, arbitro said:

I don't think anybody in their right mind would say being promoted makes it's a bad season and I can't remember reading that from any posters.

It's not about perception to me but reality. We were in with a great chance of winning the league but for several reason didn't take it. In my opinion the title would have been the cherry on the icing.

I was replying to Den so I wasn't labouring a point. This is a message board where opinions are mixed. You chose to reply so are you labouring your point?

Strange ,strange comment considering the games to come at the weekend.

Anyways, at the risk of labouring, lets leave it at that 

Just now, blueboy3333 said:

The usual strawman fron the king of strawmen. Pest.

Wow, one line quoted from an entire paragraph to make a petty little comment. Typical.

As I said yesterday, stick to the lame jokes.  The adults are talking. 

Ps asking someone a question isn't a strawman argument. Stick around , you might learn something 

I know that if we had been offered 2nd place at the start of the season, we would have snapped their hands off and I am very happy with promotion.

When Wigan failed again last weekend though I felt this was an opportunity lost and reacted accordingly.

Thats it for me, I'm over it!

• Backroom
5 hours ago, Gladwingone said:

Midfielder James Milner: "We have to enjoy this but not for too long as we have another important game this weekend. I might stretch myself out to some Ribena or something, maybe!"

contrast in attitude between professionals with a winning mentality and our lot who just wanted to go on the lash, put their feet up & concede the title, fully supported by the manager head coach.

He was taking the piss! And as mentioned by another poster it's all in conjunction with his parody account, and stuff done on Soccer AM.

So your point falls a bit flat. 

Course they're going to be going out on the lash. They've worked hard all season and got to the final of the Champions League. 

And they still have a final to play (albeit a good 3 weeks away), and important league games left to qualify for next years Champions League. 

So contrast that to the uproar on here over our lads having a celebration over promotion to the Championship, and perhaps not giving the their full attention to the League 1 title, and it really paints a picture. 

How you've tried to use that comment to support your outrage is crackers. 

4 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

Probably explains why he doesn't give a toss if we win the league or not. Perhaps someone needs to remind him that it's not all about him?

I don't understand the level of anti-Mowbray sentiment on here from some, not just yourself. I agree we should have won the league having got ourselves to that position but would argue that we threw it away letting a two goal lead against our rivals for the title, not by changing the team around once we had been promoted - especially considering the opposition manager admitted they were lucky to come away with three points. And actually we haven't even lost the title yet. 

Given the absolute mess of the last however many years under these clowns I fail to see how having a manager achieve promotion - and in truth very nearly keeping us up last year after that utter @#/?ing disgrace Coyle - would not bring him anything but admiration. Each to their own I suppose, the beauty of a message board. 

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

No - one has said it has been a "bad" season as far as I can recall or even anything vaguely approaching that. At the start of the season,  everyone would have taken promotion per se and anyone saying they would only have been happy with finishing top would have had to be carted away in a padded jacket.

However circumstances change and skip forward to the end of the season, we were fortunate enough to find ourselves already promoted with two games of the season still to go and still in with a real shout of adding the League 1 title to the Clubs Roll of Honour. I along with many others would have loved that but unfortunately the attitude seems to have been it was ok to knock off for the season the second promotion was secured.

If you were to offer me automatic promotion for next season as well I'd obviously take that now and be ecstatic with it. However if circumstances unfolded in such a way that we had a real chance of securing the Championship title as well I'd once again expect us to go all out for that and once again be mildly irritated if we didn't appear interested in the opportunity.

Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

No - one has said it has been a "bad" season as far as I can recall or even anything vaguely approaching that. At the start of the season,  everyone would have taken promotion per se and anyone saying they would only have been happy with finishing top would have had to be carted away in a padded jacket.

However circumstances change and skip forward to the end of the season, we were fortunate enough to find ourselves already promoted with two games of the season still to go and still in with a real shout of adding the League 1 title to the Clubs Roll of Honour. I along with many others would have loved that but unfortunately the attitude seems to have been it was ok to knock off for the season the second promotion was secured.

If you were to offer me automatic promotion for next season as well I'd obviously take that now and be ecstatic with it. However if circumstances unfolded in such a way that we had a real chance of securing the Championship title as well I'd once again expect us to go all out for that and once again be mildly irritated if we didn't appear interested in the opportunity.

I agree, but it seems some fans on here and on social media(even more than on here) are getting very upset about the possibility that we won't finish 1st. So upset in fact, that it is over shadowing what has been achieved. 

40 minutes ago, CrouchingNunhiddenCucumber said:

I don't understand the level of anti-Mowbray sentiment on here from some, not just yourself. I agree we should have won the league having got ourselves to that position but would argue that we threw it away letting a two goal lead against our rivals for the title, not by changing the team around once we had been promoted - especially considering the opposition manager admitted they were lucky to come away with three points. And actually we haven't even lost the title yet. 

Given the absolute mess of the last however many years under these clowns I fail to see how having a manager achieve promotion - and in truth very nearly keeping us up last year after that utter @#/?ing disgrace Coyle - would not bring him anything but admiration. Each to their own I suppose, the beauty of a message board. 

I think the feelings of the majority will be very apparent on Saturday when 25,000 fans will spend a lot of the match chanting Mowbray’s name, demand he give a wave etc. 

The records set this season will most likely never be broken IMO as we all hope to never again be in a division which has 24 teams in it. Those records will always have Mowbray’s name associated with them, which will be a far more fitting reflection of what he has achieved than the nit-picking on here.

1 minute ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

I think the feelings of the majority will be very apparent on Saturday when 25,000 fans will spend a lot of the match chanting Mowbray’s name, demand he give a wave etc. 

The records set this season will most likely never be broken IMO as we all hope to never again be in a division which has 24 teams in it. Those records will always have Mowbray’s name associated with them, which will be a far more fitting reflection of what he has achieved than the nit-picking on here.

Hate to be the one to break this to you, but we are in one with 24 teams again next season :) 

7 hours ago, Gladwingone said:

Midfielder James Milner: "We have to enjoy this but not for too long as we have another important game this weekend. I might stretch myself out to some Ribena or something, maybe!"

contrast in attitude between professionals with a winning mentality and our lot who just wanted to go on the lash, put their feet up & concede the title, fully supported by the manager head coach.

We won promotion. Job done. Mission accomplished.

What have Liverpool won so far? Nowt. Their journey goes on.

Archived