BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] THE BATTLE FOR PROMOTION....WON.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom
2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

To clarify, as ive continued to state, my aggravation came not at all towards the team selection. Its solely an attitude based grievance.

It goes back to when Wigan won the FA Cup the other year, and the whole hypothetical debate came round, FA Cup or survival. Youd take the former any day.

Again, I dont want people to say promotion was already achieved, I know and as such, its become mutually exclusive from the whole issue. (Albeit, the reason the season as a whole is a huge success, before it gets leveled at me that im not happy with promotion in general, of course I am)

Your money comment, I feel like perhaps youve become slightly removed from the aim of professional sport! Whilst I appreciate the financial aspect as much as anyone, you dont remember the seasons in which you won 1m more in prize money. You remember trophies!

Ive pointed out before, but how have Rovers fans, never mind the manager, become so pompous towards league titles?!

Like I said, our fans seem to cherish when they won a Full Members Cup over 30 years ago, we are a town club, our trophy cabinet is hardly jam packed nor do we usually get into positions whereby we have a reasonable chance of winning a trophy, of any kind, a league title especially.

How?!

Because priorities have shifted massively over the last decade. 

We're in a battle for survival now, and winning trophies has become secondary for me. (Ask me 8 years ago you get a different answer)

Think, for example, of one of those extreme sport people doing a high altitude mountain race up somewhere like Everest. They probably spent 1+ years training, focused on only one thing, winning the race, getting the title, the trophy, the kudos of being the best. They're so single-minded about it they sacrifice everything - their home life, social life, their careers etc etc - all in the pursuit of one thing - THE PRIZE.

While they're up the mountain an unexpected storm comes in, and the group ends up in big trouble. Fighting for their lives. Do you think for one minute that a single one of them gives a toss about the race anymore?! No, everything shifts, and it now becomes a battle just to survive. To get to the other end unscathed. Ironically, it now becomes only about getting back to their family and friends - the very same people they probably marginalized for a year - because the priorities have shifted, and everything they thought was important before has been flipped on it's head. 

That's where I see us. 

Below is a list of top 10 European clubs in debt published a month ago. Number 10 = Juventus $222 million. What are we? About $160 million? Not far off them considering we're still losing monthly. Most of the teams on that list are playing in their top leagues (if not winning them), and also playing in Champions League. We have just got promoted from the 3rd tier in our country!!! 

https://sillyseason.com/football/top-10-football-clubs-with-the-most-debt-53396/

This season has been great. I'm ecstatic we got promoted, and after years and years of misery, it's so nice to have so many positives floating around the club - the manager, the players who seem to give a damn, a slight mending of the fracture between club and fans etc etc.

But lets not sugar coat it. We are still bang in trouble!

You use Wigan as an example. And you're right, the choice of FA cup or relegation for them, I choose FA cup all day long. Because they're a well run club, and going down the Champ wasn't going to be a disaster. And a cup like that is a once in a lifetime opportunity. Those sentiments are no longer ones we can afford. 

In a subsequent post you've attacked someone with the words "ignorance and lack of acknowledgement". Very fitting. IMO they're shown in abundance in this thread. Everyone seems to be caught up in our first successful season in decades. But the job isn't even a quarter done yet. 

FWIW, next season, if we have to do a "Kean" and sacrifice every single League and FA cup in the support of a potential playoff chase campaign then so be it. Because getting back to the Prem is the only thing that solves this mess. Eradicates this financial oblivion. And it could pretty much be solved in an instant if we could make it there. 

Then, and only then, I will revert back to nostalgic notions of trophies lifted high, the joy of the cups, jumpers for goalposts rah rah rah, and become one of you "real" football fans again. Until then, I'm focused on one thing only...........and guess what?! - it ain't the League One title.

Just now, Silas said:

How?!

We're in a battle for survival now, and winning trophies has become secondary for me. (Ask me 8 years ago you get a different answer)

Think, for example, of one of those extreme sport people doing a high altitude mountain race up somewhere like Everest. They probably spent 1+ years training, focused on only one thing, winning the race, getting the title, the trophy, the kudos of being the best. They're so single-minded about it they sacrifice everything - their home life, social life, their careers etc etc - all in the pursuit of one thing - THE PRIZE.

While they're up the mountain an unexpected storm comes in, and the group ends up in big trouble. Fighting for their lives. Do you think for one minute that a single one of them gives a toss about the race anymore?! No, everything shifts, and it now becomes a battle just to survive. To get to the other end unscathed. Ironically, it now becomes only about getting back to their family and friends - the very same people they probably marginalized for a year - because the priorities have shifted, and everything they thought was important before has been flipped on it's head. 

That's where I see us. 

Below is a list of top 10 European clubs in debt published a month ago. Number 10 = Juventus $222 million. What are we? About $160 million? Not far off them considering we're still losing monthly. Most of the teams on that list are playing in their top leagues (if not winning them), and also playing in Champions League. We have just got promoted from the 3rd tier in our country!!! 

https://sillyseason.com/football/top-10-football-clubs-with-the-most-debt-53396/

This season has been great. I'm ecstatic we got promoted, and after years and years of misery, it's so nice to have so many positives floating around the club - the manager, the players who seem to give a damn, a slight mending of the fracture between club and fans etc etc.

You use Wigan as an example. And you're right, the choice of FA cup or relegation for them, I choose FA cup all day long. Because they're a well run club, and going down the Champ wasn't going to be a disaster. And a cup like that is a once in a lifetime opportunity. Those sentiments are no longer ones we can afford. 

In a subsequent post you've attacked someone with the words "ignorance and lack of acknowledgement". Very fitting. IMO they're shown in abundance in this thread. Everyone seems to be caught up in our first successful season in decades. But the job isn't even a quarter done yet. 

FWIW, next season, if we have to do a "Kean" and sacrifice every single League and FA cup in the support of a potential playoff chase campaign then so be it. Because getting back to the Prem is the only thing that solves this mess. Eradicates this financial oblivion. And it could pretty much be solved in an instant if we could make it there. 

Then, and only then, I will revert back to nostalgic notions of trophies lifted high, the joy of the cups, jumpers for goalposts rah rah rah, and become one of you "real" football fans again. Until then, I'm focused on one thing only...........and guess what?! - it ain't the League One title.

I totally appreciate that its a small, small fraction of a far bigger situation we find ourselves in.

That priorities have changed.

But, i feel that again, the bigger picture is partially irrelevant to the point ive been trying to make. Anything would be if taken out of context in that way. If someone missed a chance or made a mistake, you could just say thats minor compared to the overall situation we find ourselves in. Doesnt mean it doesnt warrant discussion however.

Im not saying that a league title would even everything out, that it would make us all nostalgic. But surely the thought of our club finding any sort of tangible success is part of the reason we follow through all the dark years.

Im not saying its as important as promotion, because its not. Im saying that, to come out a week and a half before the end of the season, and suggest and imply that the title is irrelevant, is quite understandably going to get a lot of peoples backs up.

7 minutes ago, Silas said:

How?!

That's where I see us. 

Excellent post. Sadly point still missed

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

You earned more money for finishing higher up the league. So its not the same as Rovers situation

wouldn't Wigan fans rather be playing Premier league football instead of winning a cup and playing league 1 football. 

are we talking about this issue still after a week of debate? Mowbray was open and honest about his comment regarding of League 1 title. I wasn't offended or upset but instead I understand his point of view.

we still get a trophy for finishing 2nd in the league  you know.  

I was say this one last time, the target for the promotion and this was achieved. just enjoyed what this season has been like and enjoy Saturday instead of nick picking  

The only reason it's still being debated is that any time any one offers a quite reasonable opinion about the lack of professionalism shown since securing promotion the section of fans who seem to think that nothing the manager says or does is open to debate or criticism, steam in and wrongly accuse the original poster of being anti Mowbray or of labelling the campaign a "bad" season when neither could be further from the truth.

If there's a trophy for second there shouldn't be. What next, a trophy for being top of the sides who just missed out on making the play offs?

• Backroom
16 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Im not saying that a league title would even everything out, that it would make us all nostalgic. But surely the thought of our club finding any sort of tangible success is part of the reason we follow through all the dark years.

Im not saying its as important as promotion, because its not. Im saying that, to come out a week and a half before the end of the season, and suggest and imply that the title is irrelevant, is quite understandably going to get a lot of peoples backs up.

Yeah I get all that. And trust me, I would have loved to see the team lift the league title trophy. 

We deserve it after suffering the "dark years". 

I guess what's got my back up is folk shouting "arrogance " or that we're showing it's "beneath us".

Exact opposite for me. It's "above us".

I long for the days when a league title meant everything to me. When a great cup run and watching aghast while MPG scewed his header wide in an FA cup semi was the highlight of my season. 

But I just ain't in that place anymore. And I don't believe the club is either.  So find it strange how people don't see that.

As a sidenote, it also mystifies me how after all the crap we've heard from various managers over the years, this one throwaway comment from TM has got folk out en masse with pitchforks. I think he should have earnt more respect than that from the fanbase. 

17 minutes ago, Silas said:

I guess what's got my back up is folk shouting "arrogance " or that we're showing it's "beneath us".

SIlas, a couple of excellent posts. I had a few cheap insults thrown my way the other day for saying similar, but far less eloquently. 

League one champs means nothing. Getting to the Championship does. Rovers are one step closer to eradicating years of errors.

It's looking like Ewood will be party central this weekend, and so it should be. Everybody should enjoy it and hope for continued progress. 

5 hours ago, Silas said:

But not for everyone, and that's the point. And also what has being £120m in debt got to do with the manager saying he wasn't arsed about the title?

4 hours ago, Silas said:

As a sidenote, it also mystifies me how after all the crap we've heard from various managers over the years, this one throwaway comment from TM has got folk out en masse with pitchforks. I think he should have earnt more respect than that from the fanbase. 

FFS! OTT. People are just questioning Mowbray's attitude to winning a trophy.

• Moderation Lead
54 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

More straw men than a Worzel Gummidge convention on here.

Image result for worzel gummidge

So, just to confirm, you believe some posters are using a ‘straw man’ argument?

11 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

And that was all you had to say. You didn't need to invent things.

I didn't invent things, I meant that I couldn't understand why some comments about not winning the league seemed to make you more emotional - negatively or positively - than what we have achieved this season. 

19 minutes ago, CrouchingNunhiddenCucumber said:

I didn't invent things, I meant that I couldn't understand why some comments about not winning the league seemed to make you more emotional - negatively or positively - than what we have achieved this season. 

Bloody hell! You've denied making something up and then made something else up straight after. I can't keep up with you. I'm out:lol:

2 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

FFS! OTT. People are just questioning Mowbray's attitude to winning a trophy.

The only thing that’s ott is the reaction to a lineup and pre-match comments.

Im still amazed that nobody else has considered that TM might’ve been trying to take pressure off as a way of improving performance.

Nothing straw about that, man.

Just now, Biz said:

The only thing that’s ott is the reaction to a lineup and pre-match comments.

Im still amazed that nobody else has considered that TM might’ve been trying to take pressure off as a way of improving performance.

Nothing straw about that, man.

You're clutching at straws, man

45 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

Bloody hell! You've denied making something up and then made something else up straight after. I can't keep up with you. I'm out:lol:

I'm looking forward to you justifying your opinions if after all this we go and win the p8ssing league, straw all over the place ?

10 minutes ago, CrouchingNunhiddenCucumber said:

I'm looking forward to you justifying your opinions if after all this we go and win the p8ssing league, straw all over the place ?

I'm back in.

It's not for me to justify the attutude of Mowbray to a glistening piece of silverware;)

30 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

You're clutching at straws, man

Realistically though, questioning someone’s integrity based on a single interview in the context of the past 18 months, is as “clutching” as it gets.

If we get the result we deserved, none of the discussion is relevant.

Archived