BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] THE BATTLE FOR PROMOTION....WON.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Are you including the defeat against Charlton along with an under 23s game? Hardly his fault , was it? So if we lose against Oxford we need to sell all players involved in those 2 defeats, going off your "2 strikes" policy? 

I watched the game in the Checktrade earlier in the season, he look solid enough from what I saw. I couldn't say he stood out for any mistakes. 

No, and you are creating another straw man.

My point was - having watched both - is that Fisher is a better keeper.

1 hour ago, Stuart said:

Not withstanding the fact we are up, would you consider two losses in the final two games ‘a good way to finish the season’?

And if Wigan lose tomorrow and we don’t win because we played the same team that faced Charlton, would you not be just a little disappointed?

Mowbray did not pick a team to beat Charlton last weekend. He picked a team based on injuries, fine (although I remain unconvinced about the severity of all of them), but where he compounded it, and ultimately “threw the game”, was to start Leutweiler, Caddis, and Samuel when he had better options on the bench, and changed to a system that he had already previously tried and failed in this league.

This obstinacy is what has annoyed people, with some justification when we were so close to the title.

When we beat Doncaster things changed. No matter what anyone on here thinks, as far as everyone at the club was concerned the goal was achieved, the job was done. For weeks previous and for a number of games it had been tough for the manager, the players. Most of them would have been feeling the strain both mentally and physically. Playing twice a week under pressure - which they were - isn’t easy. I have no doubt whatsoever that training had been minimal, - it would have been just a case of trying to keep as fit as possible without tiring players out even more than they were. It was very likely players were spending as much time on the massage table, treatment table as they were doing any kind of strenuous physical work. 

For fans to even think that things would go on like nothing had changed after the Doncaster game brought promotion, is just naive in my opinion. To think they would be training as intensely after that game, that they would or could be as mentally focussed, that they would continue playing through their injuries is for the birds. As far as everyone at the club was concerned, the manager/players could relax. That doesn’t mean they wouldn’t be trying to win their last two games, I’m sure they were, but the pressure was off and that makes a difference. It’s OK for fans to demand that they carry on as they were, but not that easy to deliver it. 

11 minutes ago, den said:

When we beat Doncaster things changed. No matter what anyone on here thinks, as far as everyone at the club was concerned the goal was achieved, the job was done. For weeks previous and for a number of games it had been tough for the manager, the players. Most of them would have been feeling the strain both mentally and physically. Playing twice a week under pressure - which they were - isn’t easy. I have no doubt whatsoever that training had been minimal, - it would have been just a case of trying to keep as fit as possible without tiring players out even more than they were. It was very likely players were spending as much time on the massage table, treatment table as they were doing any kind of strenuous physical work. 

For fans to even think that things would go on like nothing had changed after the Doncaster game brought promotion, is just naive in my opinion. To think they would be training as intensely after that game, that they would or could be as mentally focussed, that they would continue playing through their injuries is for the birds. As far as everyone at the club was concerned, the manager/players could relax. That doesn’t mean they wouldn’t be trying to win their last two games, I’m sure they were, but the pressure was off and that makes a difference. It’s OK for fans to demand that they carry on as they were, but not that easy to deliver it. 

The ‘good enough’ mentality.

I always thought that once the objective was met it was about trying to finish as strongly as possible.

We can look forward to getting 50 points next season and then that’ll be that.

It was two more games, den.

Just now, Stuart said:

The ‘good enough’ mentality.

I always thought that once the objective was met it was about trying to finish as strongly as possible.

We can look forward to getting 50 points next season and then that’ll be that.

It was two more games, den.

That’s quite poor Stuart. 

27 minutes ago, den said:

That’s quite poor Stuart. 

Water off a duck’s back Dennis. But it’s interesting that you can’t see that this is your point, not mine.

I’m actually astonished at the complete dismissal of potential silverware for our club and the vociferous excuses.

What was wrong with:

Fisher

Travis Lenihan Mulgrew Williams

Bennett (with one leg) Evans Smallwood Payne

Armstrong

Graham

If Bennett genuinely wasn’t fit then ok, push Travis up and shuffle the back four across to accommodate Bell.

It’s about as strong a team as we could have put out.

There was no need to change to the failed formation.

Just now, Stuart said:

Water off a duck’s back Dennis. But it’s interesting that you can’t see that this is your point, not mine.

I’m actually astonished at the complete dismissal of potential silverware for our club and the vociferous excuses.

What was wrong with:

Fisher

Travis Lenihan Mulgrew Williams

Bennett (with one leg) Evans Smallwood Payne

Armstrong

Graham

If Bennett genuinely wasn’t fit then ok, push Travis up and shuffle the back four across to accommodate Bell.

It’s about as strong a team as we could have put out.

There was no need to change to the failed formation.

You totally miss the point if you think this only had to do with team selection.

1 hour ago, den said:

That doesn't augur well for tomorrow's game then.

6 minutes ago, Gladwingone said:

this season finished after the Rovers game

keep up Bigdogg

if the title is meaningless to the team in second then Doncaster are not likely to be giving a toss about anything... unless they are more professional than that.

1 more games till you can start up your “quarterly reviews” again, joy...

MGPENSIONER, you’d have to do more than hide all previous content and change your name for the third time in 18 months to lose your “reputation”..

Just now, Gladwingone said:

this season finished after the Rovers game

keep up Bigdogg

if the title is meaningless to the team in second then Doncaster are not likely to be giving a toss about anything... unless they are more professional than that.

Good point.

I’m no longer sure what the point of football is any more. Promotion, promotion and then avoid relegation. Is that it? And is that all fans should be aiming for?

Or is money and finishing 7th in the PL now the zenith of East Lancs football achievement? Heads not hearts? Patience not passion? That’s what I call poor.

X games left to save our club and all that is understood but once the main objective is achieved that was the time to let our hair down and give it a ‘no pressure right good go’ instead it’s: that’s your lot folks but here’s a £10 ticket to a game the manager considers a dead rubber.

The same people who think Mowbray was right and the Charlton result is meaningless are the same ones hoping Donny might do us a favour. Do me a favour!

Whatever anyone thinks I’ll enjoy the occasion tomorrow for what it is, a nice day out, a full Ewood and a chance to congratulate the U23s and thank the first team players for getting us up. But there will be a wistful feeling of an opportunity missed not taken. One that won’t come around again for a long time.

Just now, Stuart said:

a full Ewood and a chance to congratulate the U23s and thank the first team players for getting us up. But there will be a wistful feeling of an opportunity missed not taken. One that won’t come around again for a long time.

Congratulate the youth for winning the second division of an u23s level league, but only “thank” the players for achieving an immediate return?

Its become obvious over the last week, the reason why you are so frustrated is because you think the manager should’ve picked more of the lads you seem to think you know better...

To me, it’s crazy to think that you’d take so much offence to seeing Leutwiler and Caddis play, despite both of us knowing the necessity for experienced backups/squad players throughout the season. Why not give them a run out? 

Once again, for the 5th or 6th time, I could understand this if we’d been slammed, or played poorly. We didn’t. On occasions performances don’t warrant the points.

From my perspective, and many many others, this reaction of yours and others is completely ridiculous; giving a couple of them a run out and taking the pressure off. 

Agreeing with Suhail Pensioner WinGone is the cherry on the groundhog cake.

• Backroom
6 hours ago, Stuart said:

That’s an outrageous opinion. You should just be grateful we got promoted. :) 

Personally I’d have preferred Rovers to achieve their goal than Samuel.

Leutweiller is not as good as Fisher. Canada must be really struggling to find 11 footballers.

They must be struggling if that's the best keeper they can find!

1 hour ago, Gladwingone said:

I know from the horses mouth that the donny lads are looking forward to wigan and it won't be a cake walk.  They don't want 2 celebration on their patch.. .

32 minutes ago, Biz said:

Congratulate the youth for winning the second division of an u23s level league, but only “thank” the players for achieving an immediate return?

Its become obvious over the last week, the reason why you are so frustrated is because you think the manager should’ve picked more of the lads you seem to think you know better...

To me, it’s crazy to think that you’d take so much offence to seeing Leutwiler and Caddis play, despite both of us knowing the necessity for experienced backups/squad players throughout the season. Why not give them a run out? 

Once again, for the 5th or 6th time, I could understand this if we’d been slammed, or played poorly. We didn’t. On occasions performances don’t warrant the points.

From my perspective, and many many others, this reaction of yours and others is completely ridiculous; giving a couple of them a run out and taking the pressure off. 

Agreeing with Suhail Pensioner WinGone is the cherry on the groundhog cake.

I’ve posted my team earlier. Only two of the youth - on merit. IMHO.

Congratulations? They haven’t won anything. We needed promotion, the book makers expected us to and the manager agreed that we’ve achieved nothing... yet. I’m more grateful and relieved than impressed.

Luetwiler should not be at the club. He isn’t good enough for League One or the Checkatrade. It’s pretty obvious the reason he is here and quality or experience isn’t it. I’m sure it’s a coincidence that he was Shrewsbury’s number one last season when the finished two points above relegation. We were looking for a cheap international to protect against losing big Charlie. It worked but let’s not pretend he should  be here for his goalkeeping abilities. Raya was playing with an injury until we were over the line. That’s how much he is trusted.

Caddis? If you’d pick him over Travis then I’d say you were doing so from a position of ignorance.

The dig about agreeing with another poster was unnecessary.

• Backroom
1 hour ago, Stuart said:

But there will be a wistful feeling of an opportunity missed not taken. One that won’t come around again for a long time.

As far as League 1 is concerned I hope you're right! Hopefully TM can convince Venky's to put a few more millions into the squad next season so that we aren't in another relegation battle. 

Read pages upon pages of touchy feely, namby pamby bullshit. The bottom line is, yes, we have been promoted and that's amazing. No-one could have asked for more when the season started and not one single person is disputing that is an amazing end to the season.

BUT.. We were within touching distance of a league title. Now, it may not be the Championship, it may not be a PL title, or may not even be a checkatrade title, but it is still another trophy that most have not won. And whilst it was mathematically possible, we should have been going all out for it. If not for anything but professional pride. If you are happy to settle for 2nd place, then no matter how many records you set in  getting there, you should be pissed off you didn't achieve the very best you were able to. "Settling" for 2nd is loser talk and any so called professional who settles for it should be questioned.

This is not saying:

I am not happy with promotion - I am

The starting line up was weak - it was ok considering squad fitness.

- The result was bad - we should have at least drawn judging by the reports. Others who were actually there can rightfully refute that.

- I am not accusing Mowbray of lying regarding injuries. The line up should still have had enough for at least a point. The formation is for another debate.

On the, admittedly, small, almost miniscule, point that the manager, players, club should have gone all out for whatever honours were available, the manager dismissed the importance of them in his interviews leading up to and after the game,  and we are favourites to lose out now.

Other than the likes of Graham, Raya, Mulgrew, Lenihan and Dack, when will the rest get the chance to genuinely challenge for silverware, even at this "lowly" level? Just because our entitled, PL winning, big club-esque fans see the L1 title as below them, doesn't mean it is irrelevant. Some at least want to win whatever is in front of them. The rest.. Well..

On 5/3/2018 at 09:00, AllRoverAsia said:

Nonsense. The complaint has been about apparently giving up on the Title quest just as it came in sight.

Now we need a Wigan failure and a win ourselves.

I think Wigan and their Chef will overCook on Saturday and implode leaving the door ajar again.

Simply put two  Rovers wins and we are champions.  Don't see it but do able.  Given our history of big crowd, euphoria let downs I'd bet against it happening.  Like I said I would love to secure the title with the last kick of the game, perhaps an undeserved penalty, which ever means best gives Cook the most pain.

Lot of fuss on here.  We are up, Mowbary has some big balls admitting what he did but kudos to him for his honesty.

IF, we end up champs be a lot of fuss about nothing.  We could and by the Addicks managers viewpoint also, should have won that game so not so bad really.  Had we rolled over like meek kittens be different and Mowbary has befuddled us all season at times with tactics and personnel.  All I give a toss about is we are in the championship next season.

Archived