BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] THE BATTLE FOR PROMOTION....WON.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Don’t know, Souness was an odd bugger.

Remember how excited we were to qualify for Europe? Then he said he couldnt care less about it and would rather take his Missus out for tea.

Ah, so you understand the feelings of annoyance then that Mowbray has done exactly what Souness did all those years ago. I was/am excited about winning the league just as you were excited about playing in Europe. 

Really? Seeing Blackburn Rovers as one of the best 6 teams in England and representing the country in Europe was surely something to be more proud of/something to be excited about than topping the third tier table? Especially considering we’ve still got a promotion.

Each to their own, I suppose.

Just now, Mattyblue said:

Really? Seeing Blackburn Rovers as one of the best 6 teams in England and representing the country in Europe was surely much more of a sense of pride/something to be excited about than topping the third tier table? Especially considering we’ve still got a promotion.

Its all about context. We are no longer a Prem club fighting for Europe, we are a third tier club who's manager should have been fighting for the title. What matters is now, not 20 years ago. Our glory days are far behind us. It's like saying the FM Cup meant nowt.

You sound exactly like the Prem fan boys i work with who deride Rovers achievements this season - 'Its only league 1, who gives a shit' etc

51 minutes ago, Stuart said:

It’s really upset you, hasn’t it.

I’m flattered my opinion is so important to you but I think it’s time for you to stop now as it’s boring the pants off everyone else.

2 hours ago, Stuart said:

I’ve been told this morning that this is getting tedious but it isn’t me who keeps bringing it back up again and again.

93B16B9D-3B75-4058-ABC2-E652A7C78B76.jpeg

Just now, blueboy3333 said:

Its all about context. We are no longer a Prem club fighting for Europe, we are a third tier club who's manager should have been fighting for the title. What matters is now, not 20 years ago. Our glory days are far behind us. It's like saying the FM Cup meant nowt.

You sound exactly like the Prem fan boys i work with who deride Rovers achievements this season - 'Its only league 1, who gives a shit' etc

This season was a mean to an end, we’ve done it, we move on. Considering I’ve been there every downward step of the way since 2011 I’d say I was a Rovers fan boy who still has ambitions for the club.

Post Jack, qualifying for Europe was the absolute peak of what we could achieve - Still could one day as Burnley have just proved.

I’m not going to apologise for seeing this as just a first step.

• Backroom
17 hours ago, BiggusMickus said:

"Settling" for 2nd is loser talk and any so called professional who settles for it should be questioned.

I'm sure all the professional athletes that dedicated 4 years of their lives for Olympic and Winter Olympics campaigns and won silver medals would beg to differ.

I'm pretty sure some of them see it as the biggest achievement of their lives, and something that will probably never be repeated, and they will still be talking about on their deathbed. 

But hey ho,  guess their not "winners" in life like so many of the people on this thread.  

9 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

This season was a mean to an end, we’ve done it, we move on. Considering I’ve been there every downward step of the way since 2011 I’d say I was a Rovers fan boy who still has ambitions for the club.

Post Jack, qualifying for Europe was the absolute peak of what we could achieve - Still could one day as Burnley have just proved.

I’m not going to apologise for seeing this as just a first step.

Nobody has asked you to apologise. But as you have admiited to feeling disappointed by souness in EXACTLY the same way some of us are disappointed by Miwbray's attitude nothing further needs to be said. The division is irrelevant to the point being made. 

We’ll have to agree to disagree, I don’t see the third division title as important, I’d have just seen it as a nice bonus, not something to fret about.

You see it as a real honour, fair enough, I just don’t.

Just now, Silas said:

I'm sure all the professional athletes that dedicated 4 years of their lives for Olympic and Winter Olympics campaigns and won silver medals would beg to differ.

I'm pretty sure some of them see it as the biggest achievement of their lives, and something that will probably never be repeated, and they will still be talking about on their deathbed. 

But hey ho,  guess their not "winners" in life like so many of the people on this thread.  

What a dreadful comparison. You'd be a lot closer if you'd said that the coach of Mo Farah was heard to shout 'it's not important to win' as Mo approached the final straight neck and neck in the European Championships with his opponent, then followed it up by saying 'and anyway I've won far better medals than this so i don't care if you win or not'.

Doesn't sound so great now does it?

• Backroom
Just now, blueboy3333 said:

Doesn't sound so great now does it?

Nope, sounds pretty dumb and nonsensical. 

But a lot of the retorts on this thread do, so you're not really breaking any new ground.  

We’ll have to agree to disagree, I don’t see the third division title as important, I’d have just seen it as a nice bonus, not something to fret about.

You see it as a real honour, fair enough, I just don’t.

Did you enjoy the Full Members Cup win when we were a division above where we are now? According to Mowbray we shouldn't even remember who won that. And we don't have to disagree because you've already agreed when you said you were annoyed when Souness belittled Europe. Same principle. Whether I regard Div 3 as a major achievment is irrelevant.

Also, using your logic qualifying for the poxy Europa League meant nowt because we won the league and qualified for the Champs League a few years earlier. So again using your logic Souness was right.

Just now, Silas said:

Nope, sounds pretty dumb and nonsensical. 

But a lot of the retorts on this thread do, so you're not really breaking any new ground.  

Haha, well backed down. I'm not surprised you haven't even attemped to back up the nonsense comparison you posted.

Just now, dallydally said:

Stoke relegated! Lambert - couldn't happen to a nicer guy!!!  ???

Delighted for the talentless gobshite. Those training sessions with his Pep and his other football mates at Bayern Munich didn't do him much good.

I already said Europe is the best this club could possibly achieve, it already was by 2003, so the PL title was as irrelevant then as it is now.

So not trying to do well in what was our elite competition is different then winning the third division.

The Full Members Cup itself was the achievement, this season promotion was the achievement, the title was a bonus - I was at Charlton, I wanted to win, but it isn’t what we’ve been striving for this season.

1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

Really? Seeing Blackburn Rovers as one of the best 6 teams in England and representing the country in Europe was surely something to be more proud of/something to be excited about than topping the third tier table? Especially considering we’ve still got a promotion.

Ha! That’s really stretching things matey. It’s all relative.

However, if winning the L1 title really isn’t important then presumably nobody will even bother to mention it in the unlikely event it happens this afternoon.

1 minute ago, Mattyblue said:

I already said Europe is the best this club could possibly achieve, it already was by 2003, so the PL title was as irrelevant then as it is now.

So not trying to do well in what was our elite competition is different then winning the third division.

The Full Members Cup itself was the achievement, this season promotion was the achievement, the title was a bonus - I was at Charlton, I wanted to win, but it isn’t what we’ve been striving for this season.

And in 2018, £120m in debt with dreadful owners the Division 3 title as a Division 3 club is the best we could have achieved this season and perhaps for many seasons to come. The principle, for the millionth time, is exactly the same.

2 hours ago, Rover_Shaun said:

Now you are being obtuse. Stuart is right that we were not one of the favourites from the start of that season. It was only really by October, when Kenny had bedded in, that we started splashing the cash big time. 

In Feburary though we had become odds on favourites so PArsons is also right. They even closed the book. Newell got injured then we struggled to Newell returned to fitness.

By the way, to the point to which we mathematical impossble to win the league we should have fielded our full strength side. Only then should we let little knocks effect team selection. It may of only been one more game. If we had lost at Charlton with a full strength side none of this would have mentioned.

It isn’t the same, because promotion is what we were striving for - the title was a bonus.

A winning mentality is an ethos that needs to be maintained.

P3 W3 D0 L0 F12 A2

You know what that is?

City’s record since they won the title. Nothing to play for, the title already sewn up but they are still going for it.

Just now, Stuart said:

A winning mentality is an ethos that needs to be maintained.

P3 W3 D0 L0 F12 A2

You know what that is?

City’s record since they won the title. Nothing to play for, the title already sewn up but they are still going for it.

To be fair their reserves would have won the premiership as well. Our reserves would have finished below Bury!

Archived