BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] THE BATTLE FOR PROMOTION....WON.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Are our reserves not the under 23s? I'd say they would have done better than what you suggest 

Not in our league, they wouldn't. Remember they lost to Bury in the Check a plate trophy or whatever it was called.

The point I was making was even if Pep made changes like Mowbray did his squad strength is such that it won't make a difference. Our squad will make a diffrence.

Comparing City's record is a bit unfair.

We should have compared Wigan's record since they won promotion. Not good which makes mowbray's potential surrender of the title the more frustrating to the likes of Stuart.

I happen to think we'll win it today.

Just now, Mattyblue said:

We should, but Mowbray thought differently.

It’s a shame, but it wasn’t the aim this season.

Quite, but it was an opportunity which presented itself that Mowbray chose not to attempt.

I think that sums up a week of bitterness and complaints. As well as how to disagree cordially.

Just now, Stuart said:

Quite, but it was an opportunity which presented itself that Mowbray chose not to attempt.

I think that sums up a week of bitterness and complaints. As well as how to disagree cordially.

It adds to the theory we won promotion with Mowbray rather than because of him.

Personally I see the same aloof fan attitude at the club lacking the ambition to push for the title as was apparent in the meek whimper than many greeted the swift tumble from a top 10 club in the nation to top 50.

It's no surprise to me. But the chance has all but gone, so we move on.

1 hour ago, dingles staying down 4ever said:

It adds to the theory we won promotion with Mowbray rather than because of him.

Totally agree as we were a rip roaring success on the pitch when he arrived :)

3 hours ago, Silas said:

I'm sure all the professional athletes that dedicated 4 years of their lives for Olympic and Winter Olympics campaigns and won silver medals would beg to differ.

I'm pretty sure some of them see it as the biggest achievement of their lives, and something that will probably never be repeated, and they will still be talking about on their deathbed. 

But hey ho,  guess their not "winners" in life like so many of the people on this thread.  

No, they're not winners. They're runners up. I have no doubt theyd be proud and celebrate a great achievement, as we are, coming second. Again, for the obviously hard of thinking or illiterate, not one person has said coming second and being promoted is not a good achievement. But, back to your analogy, you can bet your ass those professional athletes were aiming for first place, and gave their all for it. They just happened to end up second. After Mowbray's comments, could you say that he went all out for the best placing he could achieve? I'd say no.

Anyway, those who won't accept any critisisms of the club / manager still ignore the point trying to be made, no matter how it is spelled out or argued.The others keep trying to spell it out, until they resort to  frustrated name calling (myself included) and it all takes away from what has been a wonderful season. Here's to burying this shit, celebrating our clubs achievements at all levels and denominations and looking forward to next season, when all this will seem like petty nonesense. We still may win the title, so come on you blues. We're on our way back... 

• Backroom
22 hours ago, BiggusMickus said:

BUT.. We were within touching distance of a league title. Now, it may not be the Championship, it may not be a PL title, or may not even be a checkatrade title, but it is still another trophy that most have not won. And whilst it was mathematically possible, we should have been going all out for it. If not for anything but professional pride. If you are happy to settle for 2nd place, then no matter how many records you set in  getting there, you should be pissed off you didn't achieve the very best you were able to. "Settling" for 2nd is loser talk and any so called professional who settles for it should be questioned.

44 minutes ago, BiggusMickus said:

No, they're not winners. They're runners up. I have no doubt theyd be proud and celebrate a great achievement, as we are, coming second. Again, for the obviously hard of thinking or illiterate, not one person has said coming second and being promoted is not a good achievement. But, back to your analogy, you can bet your ass those professional athletes were aiming for first place, and gave their all for it. They just happened to end up second. After Mowbray's comments, could you say that he went all out for the best placing he could achieve? I'd say no.

So we've gone from "pissed off" and "loser", to "proud" and "celebrate".

And you think you're side of the discussion is frustrated?! At least we're consistent. 

I'm sorry my thinking and literacy is letting me down, but I get slightly confused by the mixed messages being "spelled out". 

Whatever, I'm done with it now. It's a day to celebrate, we're going up, and hopefully onwards and upwards. 

But if you're going to keep spitting out condescending insults to people, expect to get called up on it. 

Pretty sure Ive been consistent (as have most arguing a similar opinion) saying we should celebrate promotion and the achievements of the club, but be pissed off we didn't go all out for the acheivable honour of winning a title when it was presented to us. Read back this thread and see if you're right to try and call anyone out for anything. If you do, let me know and I'll repost where I and others have celebrated and honoured the proud achievements of the team this season. It is just the comments about the title not being important that rankled.

As you say onwards and upwards.

Unfortunately no cherry of  the title. But, a magnificent season and well done to all involved. Here's to replicating it next season and giving the Championship a right good go. I'll be having a few and toasting a great season, plus watching Haye spark Bellew, hopefully. Everyone that's  there today, be safe. And I 've a  feeling toneet's gonna be a reet good  neet. You all deserve it and let's see you all back in July for the next round of  " this is my football club and I don't agree with you."  2017/18 has been emotional. But awesome.

Tony Mobray's Blue and White army?,

• Backroom
47 minutes ago, BiggusMickus said:

......I and others have celebrated and honoured the proud achievements of the team this season. It is just the comments about the title not being important that rankled.

As you say onwards and upwards.

Now that i can on board with.

Fair play.

Here's to arguing about winning the title next season.

Gotta dream in life right. 

Edit: Tugay- great minds. 

8 hours ago, dingles staying down 4ever said:

In Feburary though we had become odds on favourites so PArsons is also right. They even closed the book. Newell got injured then we struggled to Newell returned to fitness.

By the way, to the point to which we mathematical impossble to win the league we should have fielded our full strength side. Only then should we let little knocks effect team selection. It may of only been one more game. If we had lost at Charlton with a full strength side none of this would have mentioned.

That was some up and down season! We started badly, picked up when youngsters like Wilcox were selected. Then we soared when Kenny was appointed and splashed some cash on good players, so much so that we were top and the bookies stopped taking bets on us for promotion! Then we went through a period when we couldn't win to save our lives and looked like we had thrown it away.

Finally we rallied and fell into the top 6 and the rest is history.Got to say that the two games against Derby were as good as anything I've ever seen, with the possible exception of the 1963-4 season up to Christmas.

So a graph of our progress  for that promotion season would would look just like a roller coaster! :)

Just now, 47er said:

That was some up and down season! We started badly, picked up when youngsters like Wilcox were selected. Then we soared when Kenny was appointed and splashed some cash on good players, so much so that we were top and the bookies stopped taking bets on us for promotion! Then we went through a period when we couldn't win to save our lives and looked like we had thrown it away.

Finally we rallied and fell into the top 6 and the rest is history.Got to say that the two games against Derby were as good as anything I've ever seen, with the possible exception of the 1963-4 season up to Christmas.

So a graph of our progress  for that promotion season would would look just like a roller coaster! :)

Newel and Speedie both picked injuries around February time and replacements Simon Garner and Duncan Shearer couldn't fill Newel and Speedie boots. Luckily Speedie and Newel returned just before the end of the season the rest is history.

Just now, 47er said:

Some things truly are inexplicable. Difference with.this season (and 2001) though was not playing catchup for a large portion. OK there was some "catching up" to do early but big difference when you're in top spot and seemingly running away with it.

A somewhat dignified Paul Cook saying that "It doesn't come any better than that" after Wigan become L1 Champions "We were delighted to get promoted, and to win the league is the icing on the cake."

Well he would say that, he won it!

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/football/latics/wigan-athletic-boss-it-doesn-t-get-any-better-1-9151883

Congratulations to Wigan on their promotion and on being crowned as Champions.

"The Table Never Lies" but it could tell a few stories,

Just now, Mattyblue said:

Wigan fans on social media trying the damnedest to goad Rovers fans and players, our lot largely responding the best way - with a collective shrug.

Odd bunch.

Noticed that. Even the journalist for their rag, Kendrick, is making digs. Lucky for them they won their 1 team title race. Now let's see who finishes higher next season. 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Noticed that. Even the journalist for their rag, Kendrick, is making digs. Lucky for them they won their 1 team title race. Now let's see who finishes higher next season. 

Yeah, I think there’s a trophy for that.

At the end of the day, our manager probably reckoned that Wigan would win last weekend making it moot and he wanted to keep the ‘feel good’ around promotion rather than any potential disappointment of finishing second. As it turned out, he got it wrong and actually handed the title to Wigan. Mowbray even let them score two goals at Ewood before making the required changes. Those two things should be enough reason for Wigan fans to STFU. Because we genuinely did let them win it. As much as I’d rather we hadn’t.

The big picture is that we are up, start of the season target accomplished. The finer detail is that we were the best team in the division last season but didn’t prove it. Granted it was close but we were just better than Wigan. The table shows that we got one less win and one more draw, which probably sums things up.

Archived