BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] THE BATTLE FOR PROMOTION....WON.

Just now, Stuart said:

Yeah, I think there’s a trophy for that.

At the end of the day, our manager probably reckoned that Wigan would win last weekend making it moot and he wanted to keep the ‘feel good’ around promotion rather than any potential disappointment of finishing second. As it turned out, he got it wrong and actually handed the title to Wigan. Mowbray even let them score two goals at Ewood before making the required changes. Those two things should be enough reason for Wigan fans to STFU. Because we genuinely did let them win it. As much as I’d rather we hadn’t.

The big picture is that we are up, start of the season target accomplished. The finer detail is that we were the best team in the division last season but didn’t prove it. Granted it was close but we were just better than Wigan. The table shows that we got one less win and one more draw, which probably sums things up.

Or you could say it worked perfectly, with most fans. 

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Stuart said:

Yeah, I think there’s a trophy for that.

At the end of the day, our manager probably reckoned that Wigan would win last weekend making it moot and he wanted to keep the ‘feel good’ around promotion rather than any potential disappointment of finishing second. As it turned out, he got it wrong and actually handed the title to Wigan. Mowbray even let them score two goals at Ewood before making the required changes. Those two things should be enough reason for Wigan fans to STFU. Because we genuinely did let them win it. As much as I’d rather we hadn’t.

The big picture is that we are up, start of the season target accomplished. The finer detail is that we were the best team in the division last season but didn’t prove it. Granted it was close but we were just better than Wigan. The table shows that we got one less win and one more draw, which probably sums things up.

I’m not sure how you can keep a straight face saying stuff like this Stuart. I can accept you think TM and our team should’ve finished top, but “Mowbray let them score two goals” is just false.

If it isn’t false in your eyes, by the same token- Mowbray scored two to make us 2-0 then right? How stupid does that sound.

96 points in total. 9 points clear of Shrewsbury after being 12 points behind...what a team this became.  I'm going to have a good few relaxing beers in the sunshine today.

Well done Tony Mowbray. 

8 minutes ago, Biz said:

I’m not sure how you can keep a straight face saying stuff like this Stuart. I can accept you think TM and our team should’ve finished top, but “Mowbray let them score two goals” is just false.

If it isn’t false in your eyes, by the same token- Mowbray scored two to make us 2-0 then right? How stupid does that sound.

You don’t like when I repeat myself so I won’t. I’ve answered all of your points previously.

Just to be purposely obtuse I wonder if TM would throw in the towel if he was 2nd in the Premier League, and we'll clear of 3rd, but with a chance of the title with 2 games left"

TM "We've already qualified for the champions league, that was the aim"

Fan Response "Don't worry, you've done well"

28 minutes ago, Rover_Shaun said:

Just to be purposely obtuse I wonder if TM would throw in the towel if he was 2nd in the Premier League, and we'll clear of 3rd, but with a chance of the title with 2 games left"

TM "We've already qualified for the champions league, that was the aim"

Fan Response "Don't worry, you've done well"

That’s a bit strong. The PL target is 40 points.

“Anything after that would be a bonus”.

I will never buy into the dismissive attitude to being Champions .... at anything!

Well done Wigan, promoted AND as Champions.

Well done Rovers, promoted.

Anyone spot the difference?

Our manager belittles the Title and thereby belittles whomever does win it

If Wigan manager, fans and media want to have a pop at us I don't blame them at all.

Mowbray should have kept his mouth shut on this particular issue.

Top managers, let's use Jose as an example, boast about winning Trophies, Potty at Spurs desperately wants to win just one. Are they wrong.

A footnote to the title challenge on the last day. Didn’t realise until just now but Darren Ferguson wasn’t even at the game against Wigan yesterday. That has to have been a factor. Oxford certainly turned up to give Rovers a game yesterday but Donny weren’t at it. Not a single shot on target.

D5E1B55B-C05D-4F7C-870B-C7E7E5DEDC44.jpeg

When he comes round Fergie Snr might even have a wry smile at stopping Rovers winning the title.

21 minutes ago, Stuart said:

A footnote to the title challenge on the last day. Didn’t realise until just now but Darren Ferguson wasn’t even at the game against Wigan yesterday. That has to have been a factor. Oxford certainly turned up to give Rovers a game yesterday but Donny weren’t at it. Not a single shot on target.

D5E1B55B-C05D-4F7C-870B-C7E7E5DEDC44.jpeg

When he comes round Fergie Snr might even have a wry smile at stopping Rovers winning the title.

That game was getting a panning on SSN. Neither team interested ....... and then, on cue, Grigg with a cool finish. No way after that that Doncaster were coming back.

What a marvellous season, ended with a good win. 

Interesting question, how many Wigan/ Rovers players would you choose in a best 11? I would argue that Wigan have the stronger first 11...

Just now, imy9 said:

What a marvellous season, ended with a good win. 

Interesting question, how many Wigan/ Rovers players would you choose in a best 11? I would argue that Wigan have the stronger first 11...

In the PFA team of the year we both got 4.

https://www.rovers.co.uk/news/2018/may/rovers-quartet-receive-pfa-awards/

Personally I think Graham is better than Grigg and that if Lenny had been fit all season he'd have been in there.

24 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Cook firing off more insults our way at their celebrations today according to their local rag reporter on Twitter. He really is a grade A @#/? who I’d love to see fall on his sword next season. Jumped up, scouse @#/?.

Didn’t he get Mowbray’s memo? Winning League One is not worth getting out of bed for.

10 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Ours is tomorrow in the Cathedral Quarter Paul, feel free to come down.

D7E48B53-D066-4CF6-B746-041D201A4B10.png

What an absolute two-hat.

He clearly has an inferiority complex about us.

Next time someone asks “what funny and sad at the same time” I’ll know what to say.

Cheers Cooky!

1 hour ago, MCMC1875 said:

Thought the tannoy music spoiled the fans reaction.

Is this Alan Yardley at fault?

Does he play The Final Countdown?

He wants stringing up.

Neil Yardley?

Not sure. There is someone who is really Phoenix Nighting it up over the PA system and it’s really starting to annoy. It’s like they don’t trust the crowd to make any kind of noise.

Archived