BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] THE BATTLE FOR PROMOTION....WON.

33 minutes ago, CrouchingNunhiddenCucumber said:

I think Derby will get up from the Championship, they've come into form at the right time and Fulham will be emotional from not going up automatically. Which, if it does happen, is everything that is wrong with the play-off system - Derby won 13 less points over the season than Fulham. In our league Charlton have 16 less points than Shrewsbury. Imagine if that was us and we didn't go up having had 16 more points than the team that did get promoted. I think that might have broken me to be honest...

Yes, the playoff lottery favours the most current inform team and mocks the "league table doesn't lie" principle. If 3 go up then the top 3 at season end have earned that right, top 4 in the case of L2.

They are here to stay though as they make good tv, earn extra money for all the Clubs involved in them and I suppose most Clubs like them.

I must admit that I enjoy watching the playoffs, IF we are not involved.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Gladwingone said:

We will all be glad if we get in the playoffs next season.

It should be the minimum expectation (as automatic promotion was this season).

Gladwingone All Over, may as well go for broke :rover: and the devil take the hind road.

I would probably be creaming my pants if we make the playoffs next season. Fortunately fans forget quickly.....hhhmmmmm

The reality is if we make the play offs next season, the conversation from some will have changed to "we should have done this or that to have been in the automatic places" , not about how much of an amazing achievement it would be. 

As with plenty in football, a fans opinion depends on when and where he/she is viewing something from 

When you look at the teams in the Championship next season, it's going to be competitive, no doubt about that.. I would definitely take the play offs now, but I don't know how my nerves would be to actually go through them! Getting back to the Premiership would mean everything to the fans and the club 

I think they should introduce the Conference style play-off system into the Football League. 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th and 8th should qualify for the play-offs. First off 5th play 8th at home and 6th play 7th at home. The winners of those one off fixtures go away to 3rd and 4th with the winner of those meeting at Wembley.

That way those who finish higher have a clear advantage e.g. 3rd place only needs to win one home game to reach Wembley whilst 8th needs to win away twice at higher finishing teams in order to reach the final.

Additional benefit is an extra 2 places for play-off qualification meaning more to fight for over the season.

I hope Shrewsbury do it for two reasons. One being if we had fallen short like them I'd feel we deserved promotion over a season with 87 points, the other being I would rather see and travel to Shrewsbury Town in the Championship next season than Charlton.

3 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

"Playoffs" and "glad" in the same post should be banned on here!

See it's set me off and TTF we're not even in them :rover:

I do hope Shrewsbury run out playoff winners for L1, they deserve it.

I'm going Villa for the Championship and  Notts County for L2.

Its an obscure reference but I get it!

32 minutes ago, Oldgregg86 said:

Just leave it as it is. It's perfectly fine now. I love the play offs as they are

Agreed. Its good knowing even mid table teams have that hope of stealing a last play off place, keeps the season more competitive.

All teams enter the season knowing the rules. If you end up 20 points clear of 4th it's just tough titty.

-----------------

However if a rule change did ever come in personally I would extend the playoffs to 5 teams. 3rd go straight to the final and the other 4 play off.

36 minutes ago, renrag said:

But they have no choice! I know it makes for a more exciting end of season, but the table doesn’t lie and the object of a league is to find the best team after everyone plays each other twice. The play offs are akin to that stupid suggestion of the Premier League playing a 39th game abroad. Nothing more than a money making racket and as always the fans pay.

Like RS said everyone is aware of the rules before the season starts and the play offs are great entertainment. Are you not entertained . ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED

20 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Yes, the playoff lottery favours the most current inform team and mocks the "league table doesn't lie" principle. If 3 go up then the top 3 at season end have earned that right, top 4 in the case of L2.

They are here to stay though as they make good tv, earn extra money for all the Clubs involved in them and I suppose most Clubs like them.

I must admit that I enjoy watching the playoffs, IF we are not involved.

Oh the money men had a stormer coming up with the play-offs. I just sympathise with the teams involved; most of my family are Fulham fans. 

No-brainier for the Football League. Get a load of publicity, all ties televised, usually big Wembley crowds.

Plus, using this season’s League 1 as an example, they would point out that if there had been a straight top 3, the season of most of the league (apart from the relegation battle) would have been over from about January.

‘So what?’ you might say, but they would hide behind falling crowds for 4th place down etc, bad image for the league etc.

1 hour ago, CrouchingNunhiddenCucumber said:

Oh the money men had a stormer coming up with the play-offs. I just sympathise with the teams involved; most of my family are Fulham fans. 

I would like Fulham to succeed, they are a good footballing side. I just have a feeling that it will be Villa.

Tonight I'm for Shrewsbury!

The play offs didn't start as a money earner. They started because 1/3rd of a league schedule were dead rubbers and it injected some purpose into the season for a lot of clubs and as a Rovers fan thank fck they did it or we would never have been league champions again in our history.

Originally the 3rd bottom team in the top flight took part (we lost to Chelsea) but the league soon put an end to that self serving notion. And the finals were home and away affairs originally. ( more Rovers heart ache)

So before people bitch about how the play offs are money making schemes remember that BECAUSE of the current format Kenny became King, Shearer became a Legend and we became champions of England.

Had it been 3rd place went up we would have not in 1992 as we needed the play offs. In 1989 we needed the play offs to be a one off final as we could have beat Palace and not surrendered at Selhurst Park.

Rovers are possibly the countries greatest beneficiaries from the current system.

2 hours ago, Rover_Shaun said:

The play offs didn't start as a money earner. They started because 1/3rd of a league schedule were dead rubbers and it injected some purpose into the season for a lot of clubs and as a Rovers fan thank fck they did it or we would never have been league champions again in our history.

Originally the 3rd bottom team in the top flight took part (we lost to Chelsea) but the league soon put an end to that self serving notion. And the finals were home and away affairs originally. ( more Rovers heart ache)

So before people bitch about how the play offs are money making schemes remember that BECAUSE of the current format Kenny became King, Shearer became a Legend and we became champions of England.

Had it been 3rd place went up we would have not in 1992 as we needed the play offs. In 1989 we needed the play offs to be a one off final as we could have beat Palace and not surrendered at Selhurst Park.

Rovers are possibly the countries greatest beneficiaries from the current system.

The play offs started to reduce the number of teams in Division one before it became the Premier League if I remember rightly

With all this Wembley for sale talk, there was a piece in one of the papers about how 'new' Wembley has become a less hallowed place, for many reasons, but one being how something like 80 odd of the 92 clubs have played there.

We are in a club who's members are diminishing each year!

Archived