BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers v Blackpool

Yep, I'm going for a draw too. Blackpool are in good form and Bowyer probably deserves something after the way he was treated at Ewood.

Rovers 2 Blackpool 2

So that's a point as a maximum  unless the league rules change between now and  the end of the match. 

• Replies 573
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Yep, I'm going for a draw too. Blackpool are in good form and Bowyer probably deserves something after the way he was treated at Ewood.

Rovers 2 Blackpool 2

So that's a point as a maximum  unless the league rules change between now and  the end of the match. 

Can't see anything than a good Rovers win

• Backroom

Bowyer was given a job at a fairly well funded Championship club (at the time) with no previous experience, so I don't think we owe him anything. He was lucky to be in that position in the first place, although you could also say the same for pretty much every Venky manager that came before him. Lambert was the first manager we brought in with any real pedigree.

With games running out we need to be winning as many of our home matches as possible to keep a distance between ourselves and the chasing pack. We beat them at their place so there's no reason to expect anything less here. They might be on good form but so are we - that's why we're top of the table. 

52 minutes ago, Gav said:

Going to be a tough game this one, Bpool have recent wins away at Pompey and Wigan and don't lose many away from home.

But with us riding high at the top of the league and a point to prove after the Wigan draw I'm going for another win.

Rovers 2 Bpool 1

But I'd like a minimum of 4 points please EFL.

Hmmm. Very much a mixed bag for them away from home. They've had impressive wins at Wigan, Portsmouth, Plymouth and Peterborough, and drawn at Charlton and Scunthorpe, but have also lost 7 away including at Wimbledon, Oxford and Northampton.

A case of raising their game against the bigger/better sides?

Not really relevant though because if we're as good as we say we are then we shouldn't be dropping points at home to a side sat 17th in the league. A failure to win here could be disastrous for automatic promotion.

Just now, JHRover said:

Not really relevant though because if we're as good as we say we are then we shouldn't be dropping points at home to a side sat 17th in the league. A failure to win here could be disastrous for automatic promotion.

Wigan lost at home to Blackpool so why shouldn't we drop points too ? And who says "we're as good as we say we are"? Anyone can see the flaws in this Rovers team.

A draw would not be "disastrous" either if Shrews and Wigan drop points too. If they lose we actually gain. 

Just now, jim mk2 said:

Wigan lost at home to Blackpool so why shouldn't we drop points too ? And who says "we're as good as we say we are"? Anyone can see the flaws in this Rovers team.

A draw would not be "disastrous" either if Shrews and Wigan drop points too. If they lose we actually gain. 

Yes, so that's clear Blackpool are capable of good results, as I outlined above. Wigan 'shouldn't' have lost to them at home, and neither should we. Of course it happens in football, but its our job to ensure it doesn't, using Wigan and Portsmouth as recent models of what not to do.

The manager and players spend all week every week talking about winning the league and beating everyone before them. We should have enough within our ranks to overcome a Blackpool side cobbled together from nothing struggling in the bottom half of the league.

Dropping 4 or 5 points at home in the space of a week would be very damaging indeed if we want to get automatic promotion, and could be disastrous. That doesn't change depending on what results Shrewsbury or Wigan get. We potentially need to pick up more points than they do. Our home games are going to be key to success or a lack of it. Having dropped substantial points vs Northampton, Wimbledon, Oldham and Doncaster already at home we can't afford to be doing it again when we've only 4 left after tomorrow, all against stronger sides than Blackpool.

We need to be winning the majority and aiming to win all of our 10 games to ensure promotion. We failed to do so last weekend, allowing 2 points to slip through our fingers, and a repeat tomorrow will further harm our chances.

12 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

So what would your team be and formation please? Thanks in advance

Nothing groundbreaking from me Chaddy, but let’s go after them:

Raya

Nyambe  Lenihan  Mulgrew  Bell

Bennett Smallwood

Payne  Dack  Armstrong

Graham

I can’t see TM dropping Williams though so would expect the above but him in for Bell. Potentially Evans for Payne too but that’s far too negative at home IMO against Blackpool.

You really do feel that tomorrow is a big game; far too often in the past we’ve been rocked by set-backs such as the Wigan come back. We need to show our bottle tomorrow by putting Gaz’ boys to the sword.

I’ve got a bad feeling we’ll go defensive again like vs Bury and only look to exploit the space in the last 20 mins. It worked, but wasn’t half frustrating.

Raya

Bennett-Lenni-Mulgrew-Williams-Bell

Evans-Smallwood

Armstrong—Dack

Graham

5-2-2-1

:( 

• Backroom
2 hours ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Raya

Nyambe  Lenihan  Mulgrew  Bell

Bennett Smallwood

Payne  Dack  Armstrong

Graham

Also the team I'd like to see. If TM goes 3 at the back, we should try:

Raya

Downing Lenihan Mulgrew

Nyambe  Smallwood   Payne   Bell

Dack

Armstrong  Graham

I think that is flexible enough to become 4 at the back while only changing attacking options. Must admit I'm loathe to drop Bennett though, who's become a bit of a 'fan rep' on the pitch.

Just now, Mike E said:

Also the team I'd like to see. If TM goes 3 at the back, we should try:

Raya

Downing Lenihan Mulgrew

Nyambe  Smallwood   Payne   Bell

Dack

Armstrong  Graham

I think that is flexible enough to become 4 at the back while only changing attacking options. Must admit I'm loathe to drop Bennett though, who's become a bit of a 'fan rep' on the pitch.

He can't be dropped I don't think. 2 goals in 2 games and a real driving force 

4 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Rovers 2 Blackpool 2

Errrr, what? Genuinely, what does that even mean?

You come across like your glass was half empty but that wasn't to your liking so you poured the rest away. 

5 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Rovers 2 Blackpool 2

Jesus, we are a charity now are we? 

42 minutes ago, CrouchingNunhiddenCucumber said:

Errrr, what? Genuinely, what does that even mean?

You come across like your glass was half empty but that wasn't to your liking so you poured the rest away. 

How about a prediction on the match instead of Errrr, What?

Gary Bowyer should be ever greatful to Blackburn Rovers. He was given his first managerial job in the Championship, with some top quality players for that level at his disposal.

He learnt his trade on our time, good luck to him, but he isn’t owed anything from the club.

Just now, Mattyblue said:

Gary Bowyer should be ever greatful to Blackburn Rovers. He was given his first managerial job in the Championship, with some top quality players for that level at his disposal.

He learnt his trade on our time, good luck to him, but he isn’t owed anything from the club.

After one of Shearer's hostile early Ewood receptions, I remember someone scoffing at A.S. whingeing about how he gave four years to this club.

Gave? He was given a king's ransom!

None of this 4 points for a win nonsense, just give us the League 1 Champion's Trophy now.

On a less elevated plane, Bowyer will have his team motivated and let's not forget they have won the last two on the road including a very welcome 2-0 at Wigan.

If Mowbray has done his homework, he will know Bowyer doesn't do a Plan B. Going for a much needed but squeaky bottom win by 2-1 or 3-2 to the team beginning with Black.... 

6 hours ago, JHRover said:

Yes, so that's clear Blackpool are capable of good results, as I outlined above. Wigan 'shouldn't' have lost to them at home, and neither should we. Of course it happens in football, but its our job to ensure it doesn't, using Wigan and Portsmouth as recent models of what not to do.

The manager and players spend all week every week talking about winning the league and beating everyone before them. We should have enough within our ranks to overcome a Blackpool side cobbled together from nothing struggling in the bottom half of the league.

Dropping 4 or 5 points at home in the space of a week would be very damaging indeed if we want to get automatic promotion, and could be disastrous. That doesn't change depending on what results Shrewsbury or Wigan get. We potentially need to pick up more points than they do. Our home games are going to be key to success or a lack of it. Having dropped substantial points vs Northampton, Wimbledon, Oldham and Doncaster already at home we can't afford to be doing it again when we've only 4 left after tomorrow, all against stronger sides than Blackpool.

We need to be winning the majority and aiming to win all of our 10 games to ensure promotion. We failed to do so last weekend, allowing 2 points to slip through our fingers, and a repeat tomorrow will further harm our chances.

There are no "shoulds" in football - particularly in this league. It's part of the charm of football that more highly rated teams can lose at any time to teams of much lower status.

I've not seen much evidence  that "the manager and players spend all week every week talking about winning the league and beating everyone before them" and i wouldn't expect them too either because to do so would be arrogant and presumptious.  In fact, Mowbray has usually been the opposite, pouring cold water on expectations and seeing multiple difficulties ahead. 

To repeat,  "dropping 4 or 5 points at home in the space of a week would be very damaging indeed if we want to get automatic promotion, and could be disastrous"  presumes Wigan and Shrewsbury will win too. How could it be "disastrous" if they both lose  this weekend too? And even if we lose and they win, there'll still be future rounds of matches where results go in our favour.

Fans need to calm down. There aren't any "disasters" in football (apart from the likes of Hillsborough or Heysel or Ibrox where fans lost their lives), just bad or good results. At this stage with many matches still to be played a draw would disappointing and a defeat a setback but not the end of our title and automatic promotion ambitions. 

• Backroom
8 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Rovers 2 Blackpool 2

Anything but a win is a poor result, if we want to go up we want to be sweeping aside an in form Blackpool.

Aware wigan got beat by them  - that was also a bad result!

11 minutes ago, darrenrover said:

With our current Rovers you can't predict owt. I'm nervous before every game.

Hopefully TM makes a selection and formation that we and more importantly, the players are comfortable with.

As ever, COYB!!!

Our current Rovers have 21 wins and are the top scorers in league 1.

Come on darren gives us a prediction. 

10 hours ago, DE. said:

Bowyer was given a job at a fairly well funded Championship club (at the time) with no previous experience, so I don't think we owe him anything

He saved the club from relegation and made us north of £10m in the transfer market with some excellent signings.

10 hours ago, DE. said:

Lambert was the first manager we brought in with any real pedigree.

Coyle had 'pedigree;, he'd won promotion to the Prem with an unfancied team. 'Pedigree' means nothing. Lambert did Sweet FA at Rovers

A home game against an average team with a pitiful budget even by League 1 standards. If we don't win this we can have no complaints if we end up in the play-off lottery.

No crazy formations, no only playing for just 1 half and no trying to play on the counter. A positive approach should garner 3 points, we have much better players.

2-0 Rovers.

Archived