BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers v Blackpool

• Replies 573
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Yep, I'm going for a draw too. Blackpool are in good form and Bowyer probably deserves something after the way he was treated at Ewood.

Rovers 2 Blackpool 2

So that's a point as a maximum  unless the league rules change between now and  the end of the match. 

Like a ? with a ☠️  :rolleyes: 

You don’t think we need 3 points today then? Perhaps we’ll just pick up this afternoon’s lost 2 points (already dropped in your mind before a ball is kicked) in an easier game some time. Or maybe not, who cares.

Thank Zeus you aren’t in charge of today’s team talk.

3 points MINIMUM please, Mr Mowbray.

24 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Like a ? with a ☠️  :rolleyes: 

You don’t think we need 3 points today then? Perhaps we’ll just pick up this afternoon’s lost 2 points (already dropped in your mind before a ball is kicked) in an easier game some time. Or maybe not, who cares.

Thank Zeus you aren’t in charge of today’s team talk.

3 points MINIMUM please, Mr Mowbray.

I don’t think he suggested we “don’t need” it, I think he is (rightly saying imo) that anything but a win isn’t necessarily the end of the world.

15 minutes ago, Biz said:

I don’t think he suggested we “don’t need” it, I think he is (rightly saying imo) that anything but a win isn’t necessarily the end of the world.

Oxymoronic post. On a fence. In the middle of the road. At least have an opinion, Joe!

Not getting promoted isn’t “the end of the world” either but I’d argue Rovers need to this season or the band will be breaking up and we can expect the likes of Paul Downing to be amongst our best players.

The self-styled “positive” fans aren’t half defeatist. We are top of the division with the best squad and we are playing down our chances against Blackpool. C’mon people!

Just now, Stuart said:

Oxymoronic post. On a fence. In the middle of the road. At least have an opinion, Joe!

Not getting promoted isn’t “the end of the world” either but I’d argue Rovers need to this season or the band will be breaking up and we can expect the likes of Paul Downing to be amongst our best players.

The self-styled “positive” fans aren’t half defeatist. We are top of the division with the best squad and we are playing down our chances against Blackpool. C’mon people!

It’s not defeatist to accept that we won’t win every game. I expect and anticipate a victory today based on the season I’ve watched so far, but I’m not in any camp that suggests a draw would mean disaster.

As Jim points out, if Wigan/Shrewsbury lose, a point is another small step in the correct direction. 

I prefer to call myself a “self styled” realist with balanced views personally :) 

Just now, Biz said:

It’s not defeatist to accept that we won’t win every game. I expect and anticipate a victory today based on the season I’ve watched so far, but I’m not in any camp that suggests a draw would mean disaster.

As Jim points out, if Wigan/Shrewsbury lose, a point is another small step in the correct direction. 

I prefer to call myself a “self styled” realist with balanced views personally :) 

And if Shrewsbury/wigan win and we don't? 

6 minutes ago, Biz said:

Lol. The “negativista” have already put their flag in the realist territory. You can’t claim it now. :D 

22 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

And if Shrewsbury/wigan win and we don't? 

If they both win, a win for us changes nothing. I appreciate it would be a backwards step to drop points today in that scenario but it wouldn’t be the death knell some “crave”

Nothing will be decided by the end of today but I’m in the draw being a bad result camp. As a glass half empty, pessimist kinda guy I’m looking at a draw and thinking Wigan and Shrewsbury will both win. Then if we draw Shrewsbury will be 3 pts behind with 2 games in hand and Wigan will be 4 points behind with 4 games in hand. At that point realistically back in third. 

I do believe we are the best team in the league and if we turn up for 90 mins we’d win every game but I can't shake this horrible feeling that today is going to be a shock defeat today. 

My only hope is Blackpool do sod all for 80 mins go 2-0 down but no doubt give it a right good go last 10 mins. 

3 minutes ago, Biz said:

If they both win, a win for us changes nothing. I appreciate it would be a backwards step to drop points today in that scenario but it wouldn’t be the death knell some “crave”

Who craves it? The same people hoping we lose? 

Bull.

Just now, Biz said:

It's all about results from here on in. Continue to drop points at home and we are putting huge pressure on ourselves to keep winning away. Every point we drop from now on is a massive psychological boost for our rivals, especially when we drop them at home to teams we have far better players than.

The disaster comes if we don't go up. Not winning today will make that disaster more likely.

9 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

How do we get more than 3 points - the entire football world is waiting with bated breath ? 

Have you still not got it? British education at it's finest.

I kind of understand now why some on here think a draw today would be ok.

Thankfully I have a brickwall close by.

I'd prefer we played four at the back with full backs capable of both defending and providing an attacking threat in addition to 2 complementary centre halves, currently, although not ideal, I'd go with Lenihan and Mulgrew.

Following last weeks missed opportunity, one would hope that we'd aim to maximise our home advantage today against Blackpool and one would also guess that anything less than 3 points would be a huge disappointment to all.

Simples.

COYB!!!

17 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

There are no "shoulds" in football - particularly in this league. It's part of the charm of football that more highly rated teams can lose at any time to teams of much lower status.

I've not seen much evidence  that "the manager and players spend all week every week talking about winning the league and beating everyone before them" and i wouldn't expect them too either because to do so would be arrogant and presumptious.  In fact, Mowbray has usually been the opposite, pouring cold water on expectations and seeing multiple difficulties ahead. 

To repeat,  "dropping 4 or 5 points at home in the space of a week would be very damaging indeed if we want to get automatic promotion, and could be disastrous"  presumes Wigan and Shrewsbury will win too. How could it be "disastrous" if they both lose  this weekend too? And even if we lose and they win, there'll still be future rounds of matches where results go in our favour.

Fans need to calm down. There aren't any "disasters" in football (apart from the likes of Hillsborough or Heysel or Ibrox where fans lost their lives), just bad or good results. At this stage with many matches still to be played a draw would disappointing and a defeat a setback but not the end of our title and automatic promotion ambitions. 

Of course there are 'shoulds' in football.

Barcelona 'should' win La Liga, or at worst 'should' come second. They shouldn't finish 5th or 6th.

Man City 'should' challenge for the title with their squad. Man Utd, Chelsea and Liverpool 'should' be up there with them.

Wolves 'should' be getting automatic promotion from the Championship with their squad.

Rovers and Wigan 'should' be getting promoted from this league.

Of course it doesn't always work like that, and teams can slip up against inferior sides, as we have many times this season already, but if we play to our ability at home we SHOULD beat them. Failure to do so will be a POOR result, whatever Shrewsbury do in their game.

We are at home, against an inferior squad of players, we 'should' beat them, and to fail to do so 'could' be very damaging for promotion having last week allowed 2 points to slip from our grasp.

In my opinion a failure to get promoted could be a disaster for this club, if we look at what Venkys did after missing promotion from the last league we were in.

Against Shrewsbury and Wigan we started with an intensity and a bite to our game as though we were determined to prove we were the better team. Against Bury and Oldham we just played like we expected the quality to come through.

Mowbray needs to get them as fired up for every game as they were for the Wigan and Shrewsbury games.

Archived