BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers v Blackpool

Well done Rovers, all about the results at this stage.

Wigan dropping more points at home was very welcome news.

Very lack lustre first half and can barely remember a decent scoring chance.

Second half better, capped off with a superb last goal.

Keep it going TM, COYB

• Replies 573
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First half a bit of a non starter until 45th minute but happy with second half performance.

Crowd in good voice, no complaints about today's ref, hope injuries to Nyambe & Graham are not bad..........

We are still top of the league!

19 minutes ago, renrag said:

Smallwood managed another booking free game, so we may see the earlier Ricky with the suspension threat lifted.

It's not so much his tackling that has been the problem recently - it's his passing. He's still been one of the signings of the season, but he was possibly our poorest player today, closely tied with Bennett; they both gave the ball away very cheaply on countless occasions.

Evans has impressed in has last two appearances. He tends to take too much time on the ball, but if he can sharpen up and cut that out, he's certainly some player for us. He loves a yellow card, mind. Can he do this consistently for us? I won't hold my breath, but he needs an injury-free spell for once.

Fair play to Bowyer's Blackpool. They matched us in the first half, and showed why they have picked up points recently, but our quality paid dividends in the second half.

A good day overall, with Wigan slipping up a bit against Scunny. It's still not in our hands, but I'll gladly take today's results!

"

"People will say it was never a 3-0 game but it is, it always is when the opposition team score three and you don’t," Bowyer said.

“That’s not me being clever, I just never buy into this ‘it was never a 3-0 performance’ or anything like that.

“The result will always say what it is and that’s what it was"

Gary Bowyer talking very intelligently, highlighting a 3-0 result, IS indeed a 3-0 result. 

https://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/sport/football/blackpool-fc/reaction-bowyer-bemoans-refereeing-decisions-1-9057337

Nothing much to say really. A win is a win. So that’s OK. But really mediocre from us.

Other than that only enjoyed a couple of things from memory.

-Dack’s cute little lay-off and Armstrong coolly placing it for the second.

-Spearing completely controlling the game for at least 30 mins of the second half. We then score said goal and the poor lad gets taken off.

Edit. That should  be the 3rd goal (not the second) and then Spearing was taken off. Should get specs.

3 minutes ago, Lie_still_Rover said:

Nice to see Steele doing his bit for Sunderland...

I didn't realise Sunderland were rooted. If Barnsley win their game in hand, Sunderland are 7 points adrift with an inferior goal difference.

Thought in the main, that was a poor performance. First half in particular we were rubbish!

3 bits of quality, started by a brilliant Mulgrew free kick, that Armstrong finish for the 2nd was brilliant and the 3rd was really nicely worked. Blackpool were really poor, I never felt nervous at all that wed concede.

Lenihan was excellent, I cant understand why anyone sees him as anything other than a colossal centre back. Brilliant alongside Mulgrew.

Evans was very good as well I thought amidst a rather fractured display, and Armstrong showed again how clinical he can be.

Bennett did well for the third but otherwise was poor, his throw in straight out of play summed up his performance. Williams was no better on the other side, and Payne was really ineffectual, nothing came off for him. Smallwood was quite poor aswell.

Hope Graham and Nyambe are ok for next week, in particular Graham.

Despite all of that, a comfortable win coupled with Wigan dropping points make another rather satisfying weekend.

Just now, roversfan99 said:

3 bits of quality, started by a brilliant Mulgrew free kick, that Armstrong finish for the 2nd was brilliant and the 3rd was really nicely worked. Blackpool were really poor, I never felt nervous at all that wed concede.

Lenihan was excellent, I cant understand why anyone sees him as anything other than a colossal centre back. Brilliant alongside Mulgrew.

Evans was very good as well I thought amidst a rather fractured display, and Armstrong showed again how clinical he can be.

Bennett did well for the third but otherwise was poor, his throw in straight out of play summed up his performance. Williams was no better on the other side, and Payne was really ineffectual, nothing came off for him. Smallwood was quite poor aswell.

Hope Graham and Nyambe are ok for next week, in particular Graham.

Despite all of that, a comfortable win coupled with Wigan dropping points make another rather satisfying weekend.

Agree. Even at 0 0 was thinking if Blackpool do score we should beat this shower. For me Bennett deserves praise not just for his football but his enthusiasm is class. Did you see his victory celebration when they were going off?  

2 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Well played Rovers,  Score is all that matters, performance is irrelevant.

But that's another game Wigan "should" have won. Is their season going to end up a "disaster" ?

Bit early for that, but we can hope. Scunny cleary a decent side on their day as we found with our 2-2 against them despite leading twice and them sitting 5th. I'm sure if Wigan end up 3rd and miss out in the play-offs everyone at their club will consider it a disaster given their squad and where they've been all season, yes.

Just now, Cherry Blue said:

Agree. Even at 0 0 was thinking if Blackpool do score we should beat this shower. For me Bennett deserves praise not just for his football but his enthusiasm is class. Did you see his victory celebration when they were going off?  

Ive been critical of his lack of goals (before he got the recent 2) and felt like hed under performed in terms of attacking output. And today mainly in a new role I thought he was poor, bar the assist, poor passing, even throw ins were poor. However id never doubt his application, effort and desire. He definitely cares.

Ive been critical of his lack of goals (before he got the recent 2) and felt like hed under performed in terms of attacking output. And today mainly in a new role I thought he was poor, bar the assist, poor passing, even throw ins were poor. However id never doubt his application, effort and desire. He definitely cares.

He played well at right-back. Quickly stuck a couple on their talented left-winger who knew he was in a game. Phenomenal work rate and a great assist.

But he never played to the standard in midfield that he has done in defence despite a long injury.

He's never had the chance, not at Rovers anyway. He's rarely played there. Excellent at Burton though according to JFH who's probably a better judge than you. Now put your obsession to bed, you've never seen enough of Lenihan in midfield to write him off.

But he never played to the standard in midfield that he has done in defence despite a long injury.

I didn't think he was that great last year at centre half. He's been great for the last two games this season though.

Just now, blueboy3333 said:

He played well at right-back. Quickly stuck a couple on their talented left-winger who knew he was in a game. Phenomenal work rate and a great assist.

Was sloppy on the ball, mainly first half but to be fair everyone was, agreed on the work rate, people had a go at me for criticising him when he hadnt scored and barely assisted but its only because I feel he has the ability to do so, and has shown that recently, and Id never doubt his work rate, no one cares more than him.

Just now, Hasta said:

I didn't think he was that great last year at centre half. He's been great for the last two games this season though.

Personally feel him and Mulgrew compliment each other really well, and the position gets the most out of his athletic attributes and his bravery. Respect that others feel he is better in midfield but dont see that at all himself, didnt feel he was very good when he broke through there.

Archived