BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers v Blackpool

That goal just before half time was absolutely pivotal today. Up to that point we'd missed a couple of chances but Blackpool were arguably the better side and were quite comfortable. Going 1-0 up on half time threw their plans into disarray and gave us more confidence. I never really felt threatened from half time onwards although the 2-0 calmed it down and made it more routine.

I thought Evans had a good game. Lenihan immense. 

Well done to all concerned for getting our job done. 9 to go, need to keep winning as Shrewsbury keep going. 

Remarkable that with 1 defeat in 25 since October, averaging above 2 points a game, sat top with 9 games to go and automatic promotion still isn't in our hands.

• Replies 573
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great result. We can only worry about ourselves. Keep winning and we are up. ??? Mowbray says Graham should be fine, Charlie needs stitches but Nyambe has hurt his hamstring so looks like a bit of time on the sidelines. 

Didnt Tony say we needed to score 80 goals to get Promoted. As of today we are on 70 and 9 games left. We should hit that target. But always pleased when we keep a clean sheet. 

1 hour ago, renrag said:

Smallwood managed another booking free game, so we may see the earlier Ricky with the suspension threat lifted.

I cant believe he has managed 13 games without a booking time to let him off the leash for the last 9 games.

Give Mowbray the manager of the year now, what he's achieved on the back of the past 7 seasons is absolutely remarkable.

The club was rotten from top to bottom and in some cases still is, but we now have a manager and more importantly players that want to play for the shirt, want to succeed and we are now reaping the rewards.

Onwards and upwards.

18 minutes ago, tonygreenbank said:

Sorry I have to respond here.

We gained 3 points and Wigan gained 1 point today. Therefore we gained 2 points on Wigan not 5!

It's an on going saga Tony. The perceived wisdom of this board is that you lose points if you don't win. I shouldn't keep on about it but I couldn't resist :D

a win and a clean sheet. more than happy with that. 

Dack header was class and Armstrong 2 goals were class and show the quality we got. 

Lenihan and Mulgrew good together. Blackpool had 2 clear cut chances and miss both. Disagree with Bowyer's comments after the game. 

Nyambe look like he pulled his hamstring so could be out for weeks, Graham is fine after his rib went back in. 

Bennett did well at right back and show he will play anywhere for us. loved his after game reaction to the fans. 

Payne was poor all game and had no influence on the game, pleased when he went off. 

Evans had a good game and should have scored 1st half. 

very pleased Wigan drew and we extend our lead to 8 points from them. Like I keep saying I would rather be in our position than Wigan's position

18 minutes ago, Gav said:

Give Mowbray the manager of the year now, what he's achieved on the back of the past 7 seasons is absolutely remarkable.

The club was rotten from top to bottom and in some cases still is, but we now have a manager and more importantly players that want to play for the shirt, want to succeed and we are now reaping the rewards.

Onwards and upwards.

Not sure. I genuinely feel that we are where we are largely because of the quality of personnel available (relative to the rest of the league) rather than his tactics (especially his in-game changes). Where I will give him great credit though is that he has created an incredible team spirit. The players have really bonded. Turning a squad of individuals into a tight-knit group who all want to play for one another. Obviously, he has also made some shrewd attacking additions and integrated them really well.

Fitness is now going to be the biggest worry IMV. Lose Dack or Mulgrew and it could be tough (although Chapman would be a like-for-like for Dack, we would rely on moving Williams and bringing in Bell). Bennett having to cover right back is already a bit of a blow.

Not convinced about manager of the season but team of the season, quite possibly.

Just now, Stuart said:

Not sure. I genuinely feel that we are where we are largely because of the quality of personnel available (relative to the rest of the league) rather than his tactics (especially his in-game changes). Where I will give him great credit though is that he has created an incredible team spirit. The players have really bonded. Turning a squad of individuals into a tight-knit group who all want to play for one another. Obviously, he has also made some shrewd attacking additions and integrated them really well.

Fitness is now going to be the biggest worry IMV. Lose Dack or Mulgrew and it could be tough (although Chapman would be a like-for-like for Dack, we would rely on moving Williams and bringing in Bell). Bennett having to cover right back is already a bit of a blow.

Not convinced about manager of the season but team of the season, quite possibly.

I think Payne was brought in with a view to replacing Dack if need be.

2 minutes ago, Preben said:

It's an on going saga Tony. The perceived wisdom of this board is that you lose points if you don't win. I shouldn't keep on about it but I couldn't resist :D

I can see you are struggling with this one.

In a one horse race, you would be right.

In reality, there are several horses in a race. The relative speed of both horses contributes to the gap between the two.

If the ?  in the lead slows down enough the ? in second will overtake even if it doesn’t increase its own speed - if there are enough fences left.

We are favourites now but if we slow down (drop points) while others canter along (keep winning) then we might not be furlong.

[Insert Mow-bray joke here]

3 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Chapman like for like for Dack? I have literally no idea how you have come to that conclusion. Completely different players who play in different positions. Yet you question Mowbrays use of tactics :)

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I think Payne was brought in with a view to replacing Dack if need be.

He’s not even close, Tyrone. Dack has skill but it’s how he combines it with his physical strength that makes him such an asset.

Just now, Stuart said:

I can see you are struggling with this one.

In a one horse race, you would be right.

In reality, there are several horses in a race. The relative speed of both horses contributes to the gap between the two.

If the ?  in the lead slows down enough the ? in second will overtake even if it doesn’t increase its own speed - if there are enough fences left.

We are favourites now but if we slow down (drop points) while others canter along (keep winning) then we might not be furlong.

[Insert Mow-bray joke here]

wtf!? :D:D

Beam me up Scotty :D

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Chapman like for like for Dack? I have literally no idea how you have come to that conclusion. Completely different players who play in different positions. Yet you question Mowbrays use of tactics :)

Perhaps like-for-like is a bit strong but Chapman offers an attacking dynamic that really upsets defenders. He could play at number 10.

1 minute ago, Stuart said:

35 minutes ago, Gav said:

Onwards and upwards.

For me, the truth is in the middle.

Feel like, although i agree that we have the best set of players in the division, you have to give Mowbray more credit, hes done well to nit it all together, its one thing having the resources but you have to then go forward with them.

That said, Gav, I think remarkable is a bit of a stretch, what Hirst has done is remarkable and for me should earn him manager of the year, its a three horse race thats almost impossible to call, but one of the 3 teams has far, far less to work with and has come from almost going down last year. Mowbray has done well dont get me wrong, goes without saying, we are top and you do not get to the top in spite of a manager, but with us having the best group of players Mowbray is achieving expectations in my opinion, Hirst is far surpassing them. (Obviously you cant surpass 1st)

Take on your point about the past 7 seasons under Bowyer and even a bit under Lambert, although (like now to be honest) Venkys were always the elephant in the room, that rotten atmosphere that you mention did go for a period of time, im not sure it was quite as much of a mammoth task as you suggest, I felt with the crowds away from home right from Southend prove that crowd engagement and atmosphere was always there to be taken forward once the positive summer transfer window was out of the way.

Just now, Stuart said:

He’s not even close, Tyrone. Dack has skill but it’s how he combines it with his physical strength that makes him such an asset.

Not quite the same playing style, more Dunny compared with Cairney. Payne hasn't been played in his best position yet because Dack plays there and he's playing  brilliantly.

I don't think Chapman would be a success there. He's not nearly smart enough and  there's a lot more room out wide. You can't just kick it on and run in a crowded midfield.

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Not quite the same playing style, more Dunny compared with Cairney. Payne hasn't been played in his best position yet because Dack plays there and he's playing  brilliantly.

I don't think Chapman would be a success there. He's not nearly smart enough and  there's a lot more room out wide. You can't just kick it on and run in a crowded midfield.

Interesting debate considering neither player has played there and, if Dack stays fit and creating, neither will! :) 

Archived