BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers v Blackpool

• Replies 573
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Gav said:

Give Mowbray the manager of the year now, what he's achieved on the back of the past 7 seasons is absolutely remarkable.

The club was rotten from top to bottom and in some cases still is, but we now have a manager and more importantly players that want to play for the shirt, want to succeed and we are now reaping the rewards.

Onwards and upwards.

Laughable - Shrews manager deserves that. 

We are where were expected to be. Shrews were almost relegated last season and are now 'net' above TM who had the luxury of buying the best player in the division, keeping hold of a Cf that was playing in the PL 2 seasons ago and all his other best players. Manager of the year - even he said he would not be much cop if he cannot get this squad promoted.

Any half-decent manager would get this side up.

13 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

For me Payne and Antonsson are not two we should be looking at perm signing, Armstrong and chapman are 

Payne has been played out of position.He also played a big part in his side getting to the PL. Dont write him off, he has the ability. His problem is Dack.

I'd maybe tell Leeds we'll keep Antonsson and they can take Samuel in a swap based on this season so far as one despite being lightweight has proved more useful to have about than the other.

I certainly wouldn't want to be paying money for the Leeds lad though.

Just now, tomphil said:

I'd maybe tell Leeds we'll keep Antonsson and they can take Samuel in a swap based on this season so far as one despite being lightweight has proved more useful to have about than the other.

I certainly wouldn't want to be paying money for the Leeds lad though.

Dont think either are good enough for the Championship tbh. Why would leeds even take Sameul?

Just now, JacknOry said:

Dont think either are good enough for the Championship tbh. Why would leeds even take Sameul?

They probably wouldn't but it might be worth a try, maybe he'll come to life in the Championship if we get over the line and if not they'll probably look to ship his wages out anyway.

34 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

Laughable - Shrews manager deserves that. 

We are where were expected to be. Shrews were almost relegated last season and are now 'net' above TM who had the luxury of buying the best player in the division, keeping hold of a Cf that was playing in the PL 2 seasons ago and all his other best players. Manager of the year - even he said he would not be much cop if he cannot get this squad promoted.

Any half-decent manager would get this side up.

If Tony takes us up he is manager of the year IMO too.

12 players gone in the summer, a mess off the pitch, spiralling down the leagues with awful owners.

fast forward 8 months and we sit top of the league, with the leagues best player-Dack, playing some great football and a team that is certainly ‘arte et labore’

That being said, let’s wait until the end of the season before we hand out any awards! 

we spent what 300 -500k on Samuel - they invested maybe 3-4 times that on Antonssen. Id also say their guy has outperformed our guy,  even if not by much other than scoring goals. Doubt they would be swapping.

Just now, imy9 said:

If Tony takes us up he is manager of the year IMO too.

12 players gone in the summer, a mess off the pitch, spiralling down the leagues with awful owners.

fast forward 8 months and we sit top of the league, with the leagues best player-Dack, playing some great football and a team that is certainly ‘arte et labore’

That being said, let’s wait until the end of the season before we hand out any awards! 

Come on - compared to the Shrews manager that has has a pittance to spend on a side that was almost relegated to division 4 - wobble your head.

Just now, JacknOry said:

Come on - compared to the Shrews manager that has has a pittance to spend on a side that was almost relegated to division 4 - wobble your head.

My head is just fine- thanks. I did say IMO. Pep manager of the year or Klopp?

There is more expectation with our club and based on what we have had to encounter, Tony has done a remarkable job..IMO.

We started the season as favourites to win the league. Shrewsbury were among the favoutitesd to be relegated. But some on here would say TM has done a better job than Hirst who had no money to spend, did not have championship level players like Graham and Mulgrew in his squad and was able to bring in the leagues best player in Dack.

Come on      

Just now, JacknOry said:

So what?.

Surely the team that wins the league their manager should win the manager of the year award..

If not surely Derek Adams at Plymouth deserve the award alot more than Shrewsbury

Just now, imy9 said:

My head is just fine- thanks. I did say IMO. Pep manager of the year or Klopp? There is more expectation with our club and based on what we have had to encounter, Tony has done a remarkable job..IMO.

remarkable - he has done what was expected

Just now, JacknOry said:

remarkable - he has done what was expected

So Klopp for manager of the year then? I expected City to come first.

remarkable because of what he has done on and off the pitch.

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

So what?.

Surely the team that wins the league their manager should win the manager of the year award..

If not surely Derek Adams at Plymouth deserve the award alot more than Shrewsbury

So all winners of all leagues should have their manager win the manager of the year?

Come on Chaddy - thats appalling even for you.

Manager A - has an open chequebook and signs messi, ronaldo and all other top players

Manager B - has no money, signs free agents

Manager A wins league by 2 points from manager B - who did the best?

That's most definitely not how it works.

If Leicester had come 2nd and just missed out on the title in 15/16 should Ranieri not have won manager of the year?

6 minutes ago, imy9 said:

My head is just fine- thanks. I did say IMO. Pep manager of the year or Klopp?

There is more expectation with our club and based on what we have had to encounter, Tony has done a remarkable job..IMO.

Thats a totally flawed comparison.

If City were 5 points clear of Burnley but they had 2 games in hand, then Pep or Dyche would be a fair comparison.

5 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

So what?.

Incredibly narrow minded decision.

I would also like to add that I dont think owners come into the equation when Manager of the Year awards are handed out.  Its results on the pitch in relation to budget,  net spend and wages that are considered.

TM has done what was asked of him but not much more than that. We were favourites to get promoted, spent far more than anyone else and have have 5 of the ten best paid players in this league. We are doing what was EXPECTED. 

Yes TM has done well and I like how he has brought a feel-good factor to this club but he is not a messiah. 

Manager of the year is Hirst at Shrewsbury by a long stretch.

12 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

So all winners of all leagues should have their manager win the manager of the year?

Come on Chaddy - thats appalling even for you.

Manager A - has an open chequebook and signs messi, ronaldo and all other top players

Manager B - has no money, signs free agents

Manager A wins league by 2 points from manager B - who did the best?

Did we have open cheque book this summer? 

If you want Paul Hurst to win the award then fine but dont expect everyone to agree with you? 

IMO Mowbray has done great job this season after all the mess he walk into. And Yes I want him to win manager of the month as I believe he deserve this

We'll I thought Payne would kick on but he wants to play a totally free game and  you can ever only afford one of those, and that's Dack's role.

Agree with Stuart's analysis that it's Dack's physicality allied with skill that makes him so good. Payne doesn't have the physical side.

Dack really is a top end Championship player, we did very well to get him. If we get up we should build around him. If we can sign Chapman and Armstrong we will be well setup.

Did we have open cheque book this summer? 

If you want Paul Hurst to win the award then fine but dont expect everyone to agree with you? 

IMO Mowbray has done great job this season after all the mess he walk into. And Yes I want him to win manager of the month as I believe he deserve this

Theres no such thing as an open cheque book, but far more than anyone else, yes. 

Dack was an excellent signing for an example, but he cost 750k because hes been the best player in the division before and is now, a great signing but hardly an unheralded gem.

Samuel was a rubbish signing, other teams cant afford 500k successes, never mind 500k flops yet have enough for it to not matter too much.

No ones doubting that hes done a good job this season, its just that hes matching expectations, Hirst is far, far exceeding them. Derek Adams is also massively overachieving but not to the same extent as Hirst. If Hirst was on the fringes of the play off in comparison to us, your argument would be far stronger, but hes neck and neck.

And If you want Tony Mowbray to win the award then fine but dont expect everyone to agree with you...

Archived