BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Season Tickets 2018/19

After the success of the £10 ticket policy for the Oxford game built in with a very successful season we re going to see possibly 24000 plus actual Rovers fans on the ground .

Hypothetically how well would a radical reduction in prices work for season tickets on the basis you attract more customers work ? 

Would there be enough takers ?

My idea being say ..

Season tickets slashed to an average of £250 ...with say a take up of what 17000 or possibly more ? supporters buying generating £ 4,250,000,with reduced walk on prices thrown in

against now an average ? of £375 with say 12000 supporters buying generating £4,500,000. 

Would the fanbase actually take advantage or is it even be there to cover the cost lost by reducing season ticket prices ? throw in extra revenue from food sales etc .The Oxford game seems to say yes.

Again just hypothetical but plausible ?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

And I’ll be doing it again, as I don’t want to pay £400, well not until I pay that ‘frozen’ price next year...

Got me by the...

Indeed. But everyone has their limit. Waggot is gambling on the good times continuing.

just where were these supporters, that the club's relying on, earlier on this season.

Reading that it's s good idea to try to attractive as many *away fans as possible is laughable

Where were these (hypothetical) away fans the last time were in the Championship (or the prem for that matter).

Reading how many on here (who are unaffected by the move) accept anything the club says is sickening.

The new price for the season ticket is fast approaching the highest that we've ever charged yet hardly anyone complains.

Let’s see how many of these errrr 'supporters' are around come October when we're struggling.

Edited by barry_
  • Like 1

It seems to me Rovers have looked at today's attendance and the away followings and gambled on the feel good factor continuing over the summer. They may not be realising that the crowd today has only increased because it is so cheap. Home games building up to this point, which we have been winning and in the top 2, have ran at much lower crowds.

Ill be renewing at £349, it's still cheaper than I paid the season before JW slashed the prices completely, but it's been on a significant upward curve for years now. Had JW never slashed the cost of a BBE season ticket from £379 to under £200, you do wonder where we'd be on prices in that stand today?

• Like 1

Just now, barry_ said:

just where were these supporters, that the club's relying on, earlier on this season.

Reading that it's s good idea to try to attractive as many fans as possible is laughable

Where were these (hypothetical) away fans the last time were in the Championship (or the prem for that matter).

Reading how many on here (who are unaffected by the move) accept anything the club says is sickening.

The new price for the season ticket is fast approaching the highest that we've ever charged yet hardly anyone complains.

Let’s see how many of these errrr 'supporters' are around come October when we're struggling.

This is the danger. Poor start to the season and crowds will fall away. All this season's momentum would then be lost.

Pessimistic but quite possible.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 47er said:

This is the danger. Poor start to the season and crowds will fall away. All this season's momentum would then be lost.

Pessimistic but quite possible.

Sorry. No negativity today please.

The sun is shining, there’s a full afternoon for certain folk attracted by cheap tickets to get ranked up, and a dead rubber draw to achieve.

(Only kidding Joe, go back to your Guardian)

(As in newspaper, not carer :lol: )

12 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

I always remember Gordon, formerly of this parish, warning against de-valuing our product too much with cheap ST deals. 

JH’s list tells us that they are now competitive with the league we’ll be in, not the noticeably cheap prices they once were.

Our product devalued itself through fan disengagement and relegations.  Prices should be aimed at attracting new fans/old fans  back.  No way should our prices be above Fulham.

32 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Everyone but our chadster!

Obviously i don't know you from Adam, but going off your posts as a passionate Blue, i imagine you don't really have a limit either?!

For me, It will cost me £380 this season for me and my 8 year old lad, we dont make every game and rarely go midweek, but its a no brainer compared to walk on prices. The only year i havent had a season ticket since the late 80's was under Coyle, and i ended up spending nearly twice as much on match tickets throughout the season.

I think the club have missed a trick in some areas, and would be amazed if we hit 10k ST holders, but for me personally its still a good deal.

• Like 1

Not sure what mine is, I just know we are not at it yet.

If you think of the club from the 90s onwards, the only time I can ever remember cost being an overriding issue (instead of shite football, relegations, Venky’s etc), was that mid 2000s period prior to Williams slashing prices across the board- prices were around £500 and we started a PL season against Fulham with around 16,000 home fans.

The Rovers fan base does not pay big money in large numbers - either home or away, unfortunately I doubt there’s anyone left at the cub to warn Waggott of that.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Seems like the early bird prices are the same as they were if you missed the early bird period last season which I did. I could have paid about £279 last season if I'd been quick enough off the mark but ended up paying £319.

Nevertheless season tickets still  represent absolutely exceptional value for me, especially given the fact we've gone up, and surely no-one can moan about that. I'm sure someone will be on mid season though whinging about the price of a walk on ticket.

Buy a bloody season ticket then!

:rover: :)

For many people a season ticket does not represent good value either. If they live at a distance or their working hours mean that their attendance is, of necessity irregular, it's simply not worth buying a season ticket other than out of loyalty to the club i.e. I want to support them anyway and any money I overpay doesn't really matter. Making walk on tickets too expensive means that coming in from work and thinking "hey I'm back in time to get to Rovers in time for the match" won't be most peoples first thought.  I don't whinge about the cost of walk on tickets. If I wanted one I'd buy one and pay the price. But I can see that it's not encouraging young parents with all their other bills to meet, or people with incomes that just cover the bills but leave little for extras to just up and decide to attend because they like going to matches live but can't justify having a season ticket. 

The club is, as someone else said, perfectly within its rights to close the Darwen end to home fans, as it was in closing the BBE upper a couple of seasons ago. However, the lesson they haven't learnt is that doing it without open and transparent consultation gets people's backs up and leads to some fans walking away. Perhaps people shouldn't but they do care almost as much about the place they sit with familiar faces around them as they do about the match. It's reassuring to see every year that that big guys still getting there, that old guys still around etc. People can accept change but do so more easily if they are part of the process that brings it about. Rovers have lost sight of that fact in their desire to streamline their seating arrangements. We may have won Family club awards but there is still a lot more to do to reengage with fans across the board. 

• Like 1

Slight missed opportunity by the club.  I would have done the early bird price of last season for maybe 2 weeks to build upon the positive feeling that we are all feeling today at the moment and give themselves the opportunity off encouraging the extra 12,000 none season ticket holders that are going to turn up today to sign up.  The problem with the £50 increase is that it hits existing season ticket holders and if are buying for say a family off 5 then that is £250 extra which some might find difficult to find given the economic circumstances within the town and country,

• Like 1

Just now, gumboots said:

For many people a season ticket does not represent good value either. If they live at a distance or their working hours mean that their attendance is, of necessity irregular, it's simply not worth buying a season ticket other than out of loyalty to the club i.e. I want to support them anyway and any money I overpay doesn't really matter. Making walk on tickets too expensive means that coming in from work and thinking "hey I'm back in time to get to Rovers in time for the match" won't be most peoples first thought.  I don't whinge about the cost of walk on tickets. If I wanted one I'd buy one and pay the price. But I can see that it's not encouraging young parents with all their other bills to meet, or people with incomes that just cover the bills but leave little for extras to just up and decide to attend because they like going to matches live but can't justify having a season ticket. 

The club is, as someone else said, perfectly within its rights to close the Darwen end to home fans, as it was in closing the BBE upper a couple of seasons ago. However, the lesson they haven't learnt is that doing it without open and transparent consultation gets people's backs up and leads to some fans walking away. Perhaps people shouldn't but they do care almost as much about the place they sit with familiar faces around them as they do about the match. It's reassuring to see every year that that big guys still getting there, that old guys still around etc. People can accept change but do so more easily if they are part of the process that brings it about. Rovers have lost sight of that fact in their desire to streamline their seating arrangements. We may have won Family club awards but there is still a lot more to do to reengage with fans across the board. 

I agree entirely. I sat for years in the BE upper, and the faces generally remained the same. It created a better atmosphere having a fuller home end. I didn’t want to sit in the JW lower. They just don’t get it. No need in my opinion to shut the DE to home fans. There could quite clearly be a designated lower tier area set aside.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, gumboots said:

This is actually a big part of the experience.

Hope you enjoy the game today gb!

Personally, think the prices for next season are pretty decent.  We are still pretty competitively priced compared with other Championship clubs.  The Darwen End is a difficult issue.  With larger away followings and the need for extra security I can see why the club made the decision on the grounds of economics.  On the other hand, I can see the points being made by supporters who sit in that area with regard to unreserved seating.

• Like 3

Maths was never my strong point but I reckon my season ticket in the JW Upper has gone up by 15%. I honestly can't believe that there is justification for such a substantial increase in one go particularly when inflation, RPI and the other indicators are much, much lower than this. I honestly believe that this will deter so many of the lapsed and potentially new fans from investing in season tickets.

Another point is for adults who take kids but the adult can't make night matches during term time for a plethora of reasons. Given that there are likely to be about seven of these it increases the cost per game substantially and could put quite a few off. This was mentioned to me by somebody who is in such a position with a couple of kids.

• Like 2

You can bet now that out of 23 league games next season at least 5 will be midweek games from the off. Another two or three might be moved for TV or the ludicrous 'police advice' to either a Friday night, Saturday lunchtime, Saturday evening or Sunday lunchtime.

It isn't something that determines whether I can go as I would be there for a 6am Wednesday kick off if necessary, but I recognise for those who don't live 15 minutes from the ground or who have work or family commitments that it simply may not be possible to attend games moved to evenings or midweeks.

When you start getting down to less than 15 home games actually occurring at 3pm on a Saturday with others at more inconvenient times many may weigh up that it isn't worth £400+ for a season ticket.

2 minutes ago, arbitro said:

Maths was never my strong point but I reckon my season ticket in the JW Upper has gone up by 15%. I honestly can't believe that there is justification for such a substantial increase in one go particularly when inflation, RPI and the other indicators are much, much lower than this. I honestly believe that this will deter so many of the lapsed and potentially new fans from investing in season tickets.

Another point is for adults who take kids but the adult can't make night matches during term time for a plethora of reasons. Given that there are likely to be about seven of these it increases the cost per game substantially and could put quite a few off. This was mentioned to me by somebody who is in such a position with a couple of kids.

We've got to understand that Rovers is also a business with football regulations and rightly or wrongly its up to the CEO to raise as much income as possible taking all things into account. Its his judgement. Having said that I know exactly how I feel when a cost goes up above the normal inflation rate especially when kids are involved.

COYB - we are going uP :rover:

Edited by Cherry Blue

Just now, Cherry Blue said:

We've got to understand that Rovers is also a business and rightly or wrongly its up to the CEO to raise as much income as possible taking all things into account. Its his judgement. Having said that I know exactly how I feel when a cost goes up above the normal inflation rate especially when kids are involved.

COYB - we are going uP :rover:

Asda, Sainsburys and all the big supermarkets are businesses too but if there prices increased by 15% overnight people would shop elsewhere. 

Your last sentence and the feel good factor in the town has been exploited by the club in my opinion but it could backfire on them.

As an aside I wonder if Cheston will be re engaging the staff who were laid off at the end of last season due to cutbacks following relegation. Somehow I don't think this will happen.

Just now, Cherry Blue said:

its up to the CEO to raise as much income as possible taking all things into account. Its his judgement

It is indeed his judgement. We'll see if he has got it right and earned his corn when the final ST sales figures are announced. If he has got it right there should be a substantial increase in ST sales, especially with all the positivity around the club at the moment and 27k+ being in attendance today.

1 hour ago, gumboots said:

firstly, I do enjoyed your well balanced post and one of the post in recent times. even tho I disagree on certain points. 

back in the 90's(93-96) My family didn't have much money and I remember my dad asking me do I want a PlayStation and a game every month(£10-15) or go and watch a Blackburn Rovers football game every month and just one computer game per year(FIFA game), I choose the live football game, and any games I didn't go to I used to listen to Radio Lancashire every weekend or go to my Nan's to watch the game if it was on TV. I was hook on football straight away, I would a lot of kids are now. My Step Daughter loves going to the games and want a season ticket next season. 

Just now, JHRover said:

You can bet now that out of 23 league games next season at least 5 will be midweek games from the off. Another two or three might be moved for TV or the ludicrous 'police advice' to either a Friday night, Saturday lunchtime, Saturday evening or Sunday lunchtime.

It isn't something that determines whether I can go as I would be there for a 6am Wednesday kick off if necessary, but I recognise for those who don't live 15 minutes from the ground or who have work or family commitments that it simply may not be possible to attend games moved to evenings or midweeks.

When you start getting down to less than 15 home games actually occurring at 3pm on a Saturday with others at more inconvenient times many may weigh up that it isn't worth £400+ for a season ticket.

I would always be at Rovers home league games even if it means quitting work or ringing in sick, But I very lucky that my boss is diehard Liverpool fan and understand my need to be at Rovers game. But I can completely understand a lot of people aren't lucky enough to have understanding boss like mine. 

• Like 1

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

firstly, I do enjoyed your well balanced post and one of the post in recent times. even tho I disagree on certain points. 

back in the 90's(93-96) My family didn't have much money and I remember my dad asking me do I want a PlayStation and a game every month(£10-15) or go and watch a Blackburn Rovers football game every month and just one computer game per year(FIFA game), I choose the live football game, and any games I didn't go to I used to listen to Radio Lancashire every weekend or go to my Nan's to watch the game if it was on TV. I was hook on football straight away, I would a lot of kids are now. My Step Daughter loves going to the games and want a season ticket next season. 

I would always be at Rovers home league games even if it means quitting work or ringing in sick, But I very lucky that my boss is diehard Liverpool fan and understand my need to be at Rovers game. But I can completely understand a lot of people aren't lucky enough to have understanding boss like mine. 

But if you quit your job you wouldn't be able to afford a season ticket...............would you? ?

• Like 1