BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Season Tickets 2018/19

This season’s pricing strategy has been to go after the fans for the coin.

Yes, the loyal, and habitual fans will (and have) bought season tickets at the increased prices (no matter whether Waggott thinks its a price freeze or not), and they will find they money.

But the people of Blackburn don’t generally respond well if they feel they are being ripped off. Unless we are absolutely flying this season walk-ones will be very few.

The 1875 club membership and shirt just adds to the overall cost. And both have been increased while the value of both has fallen. (Little benefit of 1875 and a poor effort with the shirt).

Yes, it’s probably the going rate but Rovers certainly aren’t paying the going rate when it comes to transfer business. We won’t be getting a ‘bums on seats’ player on our budget.

A PL pledge should be the minimum being offered every season we are in the Championship because in the unlikely event that we are promoted the prize money will dwarf ST sales - even if we had 25,000 on. But not even that. Can’t see Waggott as anything but hard-nosed and out of touch.

• Like 2

I had a chat with John Williams about 10 years ago, he told me about when he joined the club, the board said to him 'you've got 8,000 fans'. His response was obviously 'but our average crowd is 20 odd thousand', 'yes, but the 8,000 will stick with the club through thick and thin'

That's always stuck with me (and I've probably told this anecdote before ha!), and he never forgot it either, when he saw PL crowds drop to 16,000 in the mid 2000s as some season tickets had risen towards £500, he brought in the 'Taking Back Ewood' campaign that dropped prices significantly across the board and average crowds rocketed to 26,000.

He was aware that Rovers have a limited fanbase in a largely non-affulent area in the most competitve region in the country for clubs. We've seen that '8,000' ring true this past couple of years as even the Coyle nadir and third divison still saw that number of ST's purchased. However, treading water in the Championship (at best) will not see any significant increase in sales if prices are going to head towards £400.

Waggott (though his hands are obviously tied by the owners) needs to understand the Rovers fanbase,  it's limited in size (and the Kean debacle was a disaster for it, lost us half our match going fans in a single summer) and lapsed fans need enticing back through some imaginative offers. They will not pay big money for an average product in substantial numbers, they never have, well the 8,000 will...

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 3

When a new guy comes in the challenge laid down was always going to be you must increase income and aside from selling players there's no other way so I suppose he's just doing the standard stuff and starting with the easiest targets.

He'll soon have to realise though there is a big difference between a modest sized working class Northern town and a densely populated London borough or a rather large Midlands city, both in money and mindset terms even if they are now operating at different levels.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stuart said:

This season’s pricing strategy has been to go after the fans for the coin.

Yes, the loyal, and habitual fans will (and have) bought season tickets at the increased prices (no matter whether Waggott thinks its a price freeze or not), and they will find they money.

But the people of Blackburn don’t generally respond well if they feel they are being ripped off. Unless we are absolutely flying this season walk-ones will be very few.

The 1875 club membership and shirt just adds to the overall cost. And both have been increased while the value of both has fallen. (Little benefit of 1875 and a poor effort with the shirt).

Yes, it’s probably the going rate but Rovers certainly aren’t paying the going rate when it comes to transfer business. We won’t be getting a ‘bums on seats’ player on our budget.

A PL pledge should be the minimum being offered every season we are in the Championship because in the unlikely event that we are promoted the prize money will dwarf ST sales - even if we had 25,000 on. But not even that. Can’t see Waggott as anything but hard-nosed and out of touch.

Our season tickets are always cheaper than most. We got promoted and they’ve gone up. What did people expect? Guess what, if we go into the prem then they’ll go up again. We’re playing better teams and better players. I’m not saying that it wouldn’t be nice for the tickets to cost a fiver each but this is the real world. They were always going to go up at some point if we had some success.

I reckon we’ve still got one of the cheapest  season tickets in the Championship. Happy to be proved wrong.

Just now, magicalmortensleftpeg said:

Our season tickets are always cheaper than most. We got promoted and they’ve gone up. What did people expect? Guess what, if we go into the prem then they’ll go up again. We’re playing better teams and better players. I’m not saying that it wouldn’t be nice for the tickets to cost a fiver each but this is the real world. They were always going to go up at some point if we had some success.

I reckon we’ve still got one of the cheapest  season tickets in the Championship. Happy to be proved wrong.

Success? A 17% increase on my season ticket (what's inflation currently?) just for returning to the level we were at before the Coyle debacle seems a litle steep in one summer to me (not against incremental rises). Indeed, if I'd have been slow off the mark and renewed my ST today I'd be paying an extra £100 on last season.

Huddersfield reduced their prices on promotion,  many clubs freeze their tickets once they reach the PL as gate receipts reduce in importance to the eyewatering amounts brought in by TV deals.

JHRover produced a stat earlier in the summer that showed we are no longer one of the cheapest in the league.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 4

• Moderation Lead

Whilst we were definitely trailblazers for cheap tickets at one point and compared to other clubs, we are still cheap(ish), we aren't the cheapest at all.

Edited by K-Hod
  • Like 2

On 19/07/2018 at 13:39, R1verS1deBlue said:

In the old days, extra STs and Shirts were sold on the back of a marquee signing to excite the masses.

Cheston said he doesn't expect hardly any more STs sold before the season starts.

So no exciting signings then. No big name to put on the back of those horrible Coventry Blue shirts.

If the club excites the fans, they will take the plunge and get back down Ewood.

The word "Underwhelmed" has been written many times on here over the past few weeks.

I tried to buy one last week but the website isn't working.  Had confirmation of the fault from the club, but two weeks later I still haven't been able to get it sorted.

Wonder how that's affected sales.

6 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

I had a chat with John Williams about 10 years ago, he told me about when he joined the club, the board said to him 'you've got 8,000 fans'. His response was obviously 'but our average crowd is 20 odd thousand', 'yes, but the 8,000 will stick with the club through thick and thin'

That's always stuck with me (and I've probably told this anecdote before ha!), and he never forgot it either, when he saw PL crowds drop to 16,000 in the mid 2000s as some season tickets had risen towards £500, he brought in the 'Taking Back Ewood' campaign that dropped prices significantly across the board and average crowds rocketed to 26,000.

He was aware that Rovers have a limited fanbase in a largely non-affulent area in the most competitve region in the country for clubs. We've seen that '8,000' ring true this past couple of years as even the Coyle nadir and third divison still saw that number of ST's purchased. However, treading water in the Championship (at best) will not see any significant increase in sales if prices are going to head towards £400.

Waggott (though his hands are obviously tied by the owners) needs to understand the Rovers fanbase,  it's limited in size (and the Kean debacle was a disaster for it, lost us half our match going fans in a single summer) and lapsed fans need enticing back through some imaginative offers. They will not pay big money for an average product in substantial numbers, they never have, well the 8,000 will...

This is my problem with Waggott though, Matty.

On the evidence so far, he has set about maximising the revenue potential from the 8,000 rather that doing something a bit more difficult and dare I say visionary - as Williams did - in growing the business and attracting new customers.

I made a post the other week about Ansoff’s Matrix - although I didn’t mention it by name. Waggott is showing all the hallmarks of a short term strategy to maximise profitability rather than building any kind of legacy or to develop the club and its fanbase. It’s a classic personal career driven philosophy that sees senior managers the world over on to their next promotion while leaving a trail of destruction in the rear view. It’s lazy and it has the potential to turn 8,000 into 6,000 if it continues.

I will caveat this post, however, by saying that I would understand some of what is being done if - and it’s a huge IF - we did not have billionaire owners.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Millwall ticket details announced. £3 surcharge after 12pm on matchday. 

Was it £2 last season?

Really , Who cares? Lol.

Don't really understand the furore over the match day surcharge, It's common practice for budget airlines and railways and the like to make prices cheaper the earlier you buy and conversely the longer you leave it the more expensive it is. 

Why should any other business be any different? I can't believe the surcharge actually stops anyone from attending who otherwise would have attended but if anyone was annoyed by it the answer is pretty straightforward, arrange your diary so that you can definitely go, and purchase before the day of the game.

Simples! 

On a more general note, It's disappointing to see that fairly strong season ticket sales have not been reciprocated by the owners in the form of support for the Manager in the transfer market.

9 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Really , Who cares? Lol.

Don't really understand the furore over the match day surcharge, It's common practice for budget airlines and railways and the like to make prices cheaper the earlier you buy and conversely the longer you leave it the more expensive it is. 

Why should any other business be any different? I can't believe the surcharge actually stops anyone from attending who otherwise would have attended but if anyone was annoyed by it the answer is pretty straightforward, arrange your diary so that you can definitely go, and purchase before the day of the game.

Simples! 

On a more general note, It's disappointing to see that fairly strong season ticket sales have not been reciprocated by the owners in the form of support for the Manager in the transfer market.

There are casual fans who will decide on the day of the game whether to go depending on weather or late changes in plans. My dad was one such fan later on in his life. Of course £3 will potentially put them off.

Rovers have obviously done the numbers and feel squeezing £3 extra from the fans that will pay it will outweigh the people who are being put off by the surcharge.

2 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Really , Who cares? Lol.

So someone who makes a late decison to come to Ewood should pay an extra £3? We need to be encouraging folk, not putting obstacles in the way.

It is all about supply and demand surely? Airlines can do it because they will fill the seats, same as with  more expensive flights in school holidays.

For us, there is little demand and lots of supply, so it is a crackers policy when there are almost 20,000 empty seats in the ground.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, only2garners said:

There's another reason for the surcharge, in that it avoids long queues of people rocking up at the ticket office at 2.45.

So a family or group of four people rock up at the last minute and they have to pay £12 extra. Would they be happy with that? I wouldn’t. I can’t see how this is good for the club.

There have to be more imaginative ways to generate income AND maximise the footfall.

• Like 4