BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Season Tickets 2018/19

Waggot will soon cotton on this is Blackburn not Coventry or a Borough of London things are and always have been different around this neck of the woods, he maybe needs an convo with Mr Williams.

Also opening up the top tier of the DE to accommodate about 30 Villa fans when there was still plenty room downstairs ?

Cost cutting only applies to home sections does it !!!!

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

From Monday night's fans forum...

4. Discounted Home Games TS asked whether the club was still considering discounting ticket prices for a future home game. SW replied that he expected that a game would be chosen in the near future. The club had been disappointed with the level of attendances at home games so far this season. There was some discussion about the possible reasons for this. It was clear that the fact that all Championship games not played on Saturdays at 3pm being shown live on Sky TV was having an effect on attendances across the league. Sky paid £100,000 to the home club for a live TV game and £10,000 to the away club but there were currently no extra payments for the other games now being shown. The fact that Rovers’ first three home games had been with teams with small away followings and the fourth had been live on Sky TV had not helped. There had also been difficulties with both local and national train services. RW asked whether the club would consider laying on coaches from various local communities for fans. This might help encourage more regular attendance. There was some discussion about this and SW agreed to consider the idea.

5. 2018-19 Season Ticket Sales TS asked whether the season ticket price rise had affected sales. SW replied that it was important that the club move away from the benefactor model towards a more financially self-sufficient basis. Whilst the cheap ticket policy in the Premier league had brought an increase in attendances it had made it more difficult to increase prices thereafter. SW stated that season tickets had been taken off sale after the Aston Villa game and that sales stood at 9,641. This was below the club’s stretch target of 10,500, although that target included half season ticket sales (typically around 300-400). 

https://www.rovers.co.uk/contentassets/72f15c4f64fc46be88e3fa7646577133/ff-minutes-17.9.18.pdf

So targets missed and they are 'disappointed' with crowds, let's hope they are being a little more forensic as to WHY  behind closed doors...

So about 850 short of the stretch target, although if we get say 350 half season tickets sold then we're about 500 short and at 10,000 season tickets. I don't actually think that is too bad all things considered, e.g. the quite significant price hike.

There's only so far you can push season ticket holders at this level in pursuit of increased revenues. I don't expect the club to subsidise cheap tickets as they were 10 years ago in the Premier League, but we're past that point - we no longer have cheap season tickets, we've got competitively priced tickets where some clubs are more expensive and others are cheaper.

If revenues are the concern then the club has to do more from a sponsorship/commercial point of view. Stock in the club shop running out in mid-September = unacceptable. More sponsors needed although at least it seems efforts are being put in on that front, the question now is whether these deals being struck with companies like Watson Ramsbottom, 10 Bet and Totally Wicked are lucrative going rate sponsorships or are we missing out on what other clubs get?

Interesting going to Derby on Tuesday and I look around their stadium and they are awash with large companies sponsoring them. Their digital boards have companies like Greggs advertising, Bavaria beer, Toyota - large national/international brands. I don't understand how/why Derby can attract such sponsors and we cannot. Greggs have 3-4 shops in Blackburn alone. Very few companies based at Guide, Whitebirk or Darwen have sponsorship in place at Rovers. More to be done.

• Like 1

I’m a fan of the non-3pm matches being televised but only because I struggle to make away games - other commitments / cost / local experience). However it isn’t right that the club gets no additional income for it. Unless there is some contractual all-up seasonal payment to each club then the EFL have stitched up their members.

Sky should be paying clubs to broadcast their product. Again, it will be in the contract small print (or the league share arrangement) about who owns the rights but you can bet your neck Manchester United wouldn’t allow their image rights to be used on the cheap let alone free.

This needs to be rectified.

Also, with regards to poor home attendances, this is purely and simply down to walk on pricing and the ST increase. Fans who are used to going to Ewood would continue to do so if the price was right. The TV coverage (and especially the iFollow / Red Button poor quality, lack of features and minimalist experience) is no match for being at the game.

Maybe make subscribers choose a home team and they get to watch away matches on the red button (including 3pm) but not your home team? I would say this of course because it suits me and their are still pros and cons but it would take away that excuse. I expect away fans, by and large, would rather travel than watch on TV in any case.

Last time I went to Pride Park there was a Greggs right outside or possibly built into the side of the stadium at the home end if I remember rightly ?

Might have something to do with sponsorship and also Derby is a fair sized place so more options but then again Blackburn for it's modest size population wise is an industrial town after all.

2 hours ago, Stuart said:

I’m a fan of the non-3pm matches being televised but only because I struggle to make away games - other commitments / cost / local experience). However it isn’t right that the club gets no additional income for it. Unless there is some contractual all-up seasonal payment to each club then the EFL have stitched up their members.

Sky should be paying clubs to broadcast their product. Again, it will be in the contract small print (or the league share arrangement) about who owns the rights but you can bet your neck Manchester United wouldn’t allow their image rights to be used on the cheap let alone free.

This needs to be rectified.

Also, with regards to poor home attendances, this is purely and simply down to walk on pricing and the ST increase. Fans who are used to going to Ewood would continue to do so if the price was right. The TV coverage (and especially the iFollow / Red Button poor quality, lack of features and minimalist experience) is no match for being at the game.

Maybe make subscribers choose a home team and they get to watch away matches on the red button (including 3pm) but not your home team? I would say this of course because it suits me and their are still pros and cons but it would take away that excuse. I expect away fans, by and large, would rather travel than watch on TV in any case.

Pretty sure we are paid extra by Sky for this. Not per match like a live game but overall TV money we get from them. Seem to recall that the TV Deal increased in value because of this coming  in

4 hours ago, tomphil said:

Last time I went to Pride Park there was a Greggs right outside or possibly built into the side of the stadium at the home end if I remember rightly ?

Might have something to do with sponsorship and also Derby is a fair sized place so more options but then again Blackburn for it's modest size population wise is an industrial town after all.

Plus the sponsors/advertisers added interest when they changed their name to Frank Lampards Derby County  and with it the chance of added exposure when appearing on sky sports / SSN every 10 minutes :)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

From Monday night's fans forum...

4. Discounted Home Games TS asked whether the club was still considering discounting ticket prices for a future home game. SW replied that he expected that a game would be chosen in the near future. The club had been disappointed with the level of attendances at home games so far this season. There was some discussion about the possible reasons for this. It was clear that the fact that all Championship games not played on Saturdays at 3pm being shown live on Sky TV was having an effect on attendances across the league. Sky paid £100,000 to the home club for a live TV game and £10,000 to the away club but there were currently no extra payments for the other games now being shown. The fact that Rovers’ first three home games had been with teams with small away followings and the fourth had been live on Sky TV had not helped. There had also been difficulties with both local and national train services. RW asked whether the club would consider laying on coaches from various local communities for fans. This might help encourage more regular attendance. There was some discussion about this and SW agreed to consider the idea.

5. 2018-19 Season Ticket Sales TS asked whether the season ticket price rise had affected sales. SW replied that it was important that the club move away from the benefactor model towards a more financially self-sufficient basis. Whilst the cheap ticket policy in the Premier league had brought an increase in attendances it had made it more difficult to increase prices thereafter. SW stated that season tickets had been taken off sale after the Aston Villa game and that sales stood at 9,641. This was below the club’s stretch target of 10,500, although that target included half season ticket sales (typically around 300-400). 

https://www.rovers.co.uk/contentassets/72f15c4f64fc46be88e3fa7646577133/ff-minutes-17.9.18.pdf

So targets missed and they are 'disappointed' with crowds, let's hope they are being a little more forensic as to WHY  behind closed doors...

I think its a decent and fair amount of season ticket sold obviously it would have been great to sell more. I can understand the argument for cheaper prices and Waggott argument for a change from a benefactor model towards a more financially self-sufficient basis. if the prices were cheaper or a special offer like a free child season ticket if am Adult season ticket is purchase if you are non season ticket holder for 2 years or loger

7 hours ago, JHRover said:

Interesting going to Derby on Tuesday and I look around their stadium and they are awash with large companies sponsoring them. Their digital boards have companies like Greggs advertising, Bavaria beer, Toyota - large national/international brands. I don't understand how/why Derby can attract such sponsors and we cannot. Greggs have 3-4 shops in Blackburn alone. Very few companies based at Guide, Whitebirk or Darwen have sponsorship in place at Rovers. More to be done.

very good point that Rovers should be looking to advertise more local business. I think 

For many years,even in the Premiership days, I thought the commercial side of the club was poorly run,a small town club mentality remained.

You had a chance to capitalize on the back of a promotion season and a return of the feel good factor to the Club Mr Waggot...you made the decision not to,it was your call....don't start moaning now.You need to understand the financial demographics of the area better.

Edited by SIMON GARNERS 194
  • Like 1

Mowbray disappointed with attendances. Not true what he says about grounds like Pride Park being full when we go there - well over 10,000 empty seats at Derby, for example. 

But there is obviously a feeling within the players and staff that they deserve more backing - they do. Though perhaps knock on your Chief Exec’s door to ask why we can’t sell more than 9,600 season tickets...

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/16908899.tony-mowbray-feels-a-warmth-from-fans-to-rovers-players/?ref=mac

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Mowbray disappointed with attendances. Not true what he says about grounds like Pride Park being full when we go there - well over 10,000 empty seats at Derby, for example. 

But there is obviously a feeling within the players and staff that they deserve more backing - they do. Though perhaps knock on your Chief Exec’s door to ask why we can’t sell more than 9,600 season tickets...

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/16908899.tony-mowbray-feels-a-warmth-from-fans-to-rovers-players/?ref=mac

Neither was Bristol, there was lots of empty seats there.

None of the big grounds in this league are full. The only ones I can think of that get close are places like Brentford and for the odd game places like Millwall and Swansea but they are small grounds.

Look around at the rest of the grounds and many have 10,000+ empty seats on average.

It would be nice to get another 2 or 3 thousand on top of our current average as that would haul us into average crowd territory and the place would feel much fuller, but you're asking a lot to do that whilst bumping up prices by 17%, shutting home areas and putting in place ticket only admission and £3 matchday surcharges. Make it as easy as possible for people to attend, don't make them jump through hoops just to get in.

The average home gate in this league is about 19000 and so we're about 5000 short of that at present.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

“I sat in awe against Oxford United, 27,500, and thought why can’t we achieve that every single week?  I don’t know where those people are that came to that game. What do they do on a Saturday afternoon?" - Mowbray

It really does amaze me how out of touch they are at the club, and how little they are capable of thinking around the problem. For the millionth time there were a lot of young people who turned up at that match. They won't be there Saturday. Waggott and Mogga need to ask themselves why. 

As for the comparisons between BCFC and DCFC. Our stadium will be, as a percentage of our population/ fanbase, just as full as theirs. 

• Like 3

Totally echo others in that Mowbray needs to turn to Waggott as his first man to question, his greed/decision making has ensured that we have failed to boost crowds at a point where we have momentum behind us, both via season ticket increases and also the surcharges on matchday, as well as closing the Darwen End and moving kick offs unnecessarily, the latter 2 are minor in the scheme of things but ae further examples of a lack of consideration towards home support.

• Like 2

Mowbray is thinking in Middlesbrough terms I think, a club who were getting 13/14k when he was there and taking 600/1k away yet as soon as a bit of feelgood comes along they are nearly filling the ground and taking thousands everywhere.

That doesn't happen down here and him and Waggot need to wake up to that fact we don't have that drawing area for all those fickle people to come from regularly with it being saturated with clubs around here. That Oxford game was a pure one off that only comes around once every blue moon and the initiative needed grabbing, it wasn't so now they seem to be passing the buck somewhat.

This team and manager do deserve bigger home support but Rovers crowds have always operated around these levels and probably always will they don't become organically bigger overnight and stay that way like some clubs they have to be manufactured somewhat.

• Like 4

Exactly right tomphil.

We have a core of 10-12k that turn up to watch any old shite - proof of that these past years.

But unlike other clubs we don’t have the catchment area to quickly raise attendances on a good run. A club like a Boro who are one of only 3 league clubs in the whole north east of England have fans from across Teeside, plus into County Durham to the north and North Yorkshire to the south, they can add 5k on to the gate in walk ons on the back of feel good factor.

We just don’t have that. As I’ve said on another thread our crowd has always been heavily reliant on season ticket sales, we haven’t ever sold many walk on tickets game by game. So Waggott needs to do everything in his power therefore to increase those sales each close season.

This summer was a mammoth missed opportunity to do just that. So, the ‘disappointment’ of the powers that be need to start looking closer to home for answers.

• Like 1

Indeed gumboots.

A club with our limited fan base loses 10,000 season ticket holders between 2010 and 2012, how many of those will ever come back? And if they don’t, where are the replacements to fill their seat?

The club should mull over this kind of stuff before we start hearing about ‘wanting full houses’. Something, by the way we’ve not had on a regular basis at Ewood since 1996.

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Totally echo others in that Mowbray needs to turn to Waggott as his first man to question, his greed/decision making has ensured that we have failed to boost crowds at a point where we have momentum behind us, both via season ticket increases and also the surcharges on matchday, as well as closing the Darwen End and moving kick offs unnecessarily, the latter 2 are minor in the scheme of things but ae further examples of a lack of consideration towards home support.

It's like the Leeds game - the sort of 'attractive' fixture that we should be earmarking as a bumper home crowd - there will be a big away following, Premier League atmosphere, with a bit of luck two sides at the right end of the table - in normal circumstances with 6,000-7,000 away fans we should be looking at 23,000+ on Ewood.

What will be done to encourage as many home fans as possible to attend?

1) Game moved to a noon kick off - the result being that lots of people will not want to go as they have to travel from afar early doors, can't go for a pint beforehand, the atmosphere will be more subdued

2) Tickets will only be sold to database members - again limiting the amount of people who can buy

3) Charging category A pricing - simply too expensive for a run of the mill 2nd division game

4) No tickets on the day/£3 matchday surcharge - deters anyone from making a late decision to go

5) Ticket only admission - have to buy in advance or queue in the rain for 20 minutes to get a ticket

Every single one of the above the club could do something about to make the game more appealing or accessible to home fans and yet they choose to do all the above.

What makes me laugh about these noon kickoffs is it is for such small margins.

The standard away allocation (if you were keeping Rovers fans in the Darwen End) was 5,500, that allocation ensured a 3pm kick off.

Any more tickets and it’s a full Darwen End job for away fans - and a noon start. So Leeds have been given nearly 8,000 tickets then? Really cashing in? No, 6,800.

So all this palava for an extra 1,300 tickets? Yet net it will be less as the early start and probably red button coverage will put off some home fans from buying, so all in all the extra tickets sold will be in the hundreds.

When PNE bring about 3/4,000 it will be even more ridiculous to be sitting on Ewood at 12pm, with a load of Rovers fans sitting at home/pub watching the red button.

EARTH TO WAGGOTT!!

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 3