BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Jim Bowen

Vinjay

• Backroom

I liked his withering put down to John Oliver (whom I also like).

Oliver: In your multiverse theory, is it possible there's a Universe where I'm smarter than you?

Hawking: Yes, and also one where you are funny.

Jim Whittaker! He taught at St Augustine's in the early 70's/possibly late 60's

A mate of mine always talks about "Jim" caning him for walking across the gymnasium floor in what was his sister's school.

At the time, my mate said he hadn't yet started to attend  the school..

I wonder how that would play in today's world!!

Nobody could get away with as many gaffs presenting a tv show as Jim Bowen it was almost like it was scripted that way he handled it so well.

Good memories of bullseye and my mam and dad shouting at the telly 'it's a fix' whenever someone won and the little speedboat or ugly caravan got wheeled out yet when they lost 'look at what you could've won' - always a car :lol:

• Like 1

Just now, tomphil said:

Nobody could get away with as many gaffs presenting a tv show as Jim Bowen it was almost like it was scripted that way he handled it so well.

Good memories of bullseye and my mam and dad shouting at the telly 'it's a fix' whenever someone won and the little speedboat or ugly caravan got wheeled out yet when they lost 'look at what you could've won' - always a car :lol:

"Congratulations. You've won the speedboat! Shame you live in Birmingham.!" :)

Just had a quick look online and forgot he along with many others first came to our attention as a stand up comic on The Comedians. I enjoyed him at that as well with his deadpan the "whole world is conspiring against me" persona far removed from his cuddly Bullseye image.

1 hour ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

Jim Whittaker! He taught at St Augustine's in the early 70's/possibly late 60's

A mate of mine always talks about "Jim" caning him for walking across the gymnasium floor in what was his sister's school.

At the time, my mate said he hadn't yet started to attend  the school..

I wonder how that would play in today's world!!

A lot of my mates went to St Augustines and to a man they said he was a miserable sod and a strict disciplinarian. As an entertainer though he really found his true vocation in life. Good article from the independent here :- https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/bullseye-jim-scores-again-hes-smashing-lovely-super-and-the-oxford-union-crowd-roared-at-his-40-year-1561392.html

1 hour ago, Hanks said:

A lot of my mates went to St Augustines and to a man they said he was a miserable sod and a strict disciplinarian. As an entertainer though he really found his true vocation in life. Good article from the independent here :- https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/bullseye-jim-scores-again-hes-smashing-lovely-super-and-the-oxford-union-crowd-roared-at-his-40-year-1561392.html

You know whose story that was, don't you, Hanks!

5 hours ago, Vinjay17 said:

Especially not for the comedy circuit though Bowen's primary recognition of course came as a gameshow host. Actually Stephen Hawking even appeared in a fair number of comedic roles.

He's currently appearing in the new series of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - or at least he was in the first one last week.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Guest changed the title to Jim Bowen