BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Gillingham complaints.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom

Just to confirm that means we now have games on the 7th, 10th and 14th of April.

All because Gillingham used the weather as an excuse not to play, when no other club in the country on that day did. 

17 minutes ago, DE. said:

Just to confirm that means we now have games on the 7th, 10th and 14th of April.

All because Gillingham used the weather as an excuse not to play, when no other club in the country on that day did. 

Which now makes our situation almost as tricky as Wigans :o

Something had to put a spanner in the works things were going too well a  point or three this weekend would've been monumental in the long run.

1 hour ago, arbitro said:

I used swaggott@rovers.co.uk to email him direct.

The more people that write to him and the EFL will give them a better idea of the strength of feeling.

I've emailed both Steve Waggott and EFL too on behalf of our group of 16 and stressed that it's not so much the decision but just the timing of it: nothing changed from 6am on Saturday until the decision being made at 11.30am. The ramshackle of stand was still the same, as was the amount of snow on the ground and we'd all seen the amber weather warning for heavy snow from mid afternoon, what changed during those five and a half hours? (nothing was the cry!)

Derby County are gutless cowards. I hope they lose the playoff final to an offside goal or something. As for Gillingham I'm sure most people will go on the new date but they don't deserve the money. 2 bit clubs like Gillingham won't like being hit on the gate receipts.

At the very least I encourage Rovers fans NOT to buy anything from the catering facilities there. I'm sure people can go a hour and hf without an overpriced drink. Maybe try taking things in from elsewhere stewards probably won't care. Granted at the last away game I attended at Newcastle fans were searched but there were 52,000 people there so no bloody wonder!

Club have put out a statement saying costs will be covered for independent travel groups on the new date. I assume this won't include those travelling by car or train. Anyway despite that Gillingham are the ones most to blame but that said Rovers should still have complained. Free travel shouldn't excuse the club failing to object to Gillingham (or the police) for ruining an entire week of preparation.

Just now, Vinjay17 said:

Derby County are gutless cowards. I hope they lose the playoff final to an offside goal or something. As for Gillingham I'm sure most people will go on the new date but they don't deserve the money. 2 bit clubs like Gillingham won't like being hit on the gate receipts.

At the very least I encourage Rovers fans NOT to buy anything from the catering facilities there. I'm sure people can go a hour and hf without an overpriced drink. Maybe try taking things in from elsewhere stewards probably won't care. Granted at the last away game I attended at Newcastle fans were searched but there were 52,000 people there so no bloody wonder!

Vinjay, what planet are you on?

It'll be midweek, I'm sure most Rovers' fans that travelled last weekend will struggle with the new date. That said, we're all now probably debating how to get there, should we go etc. but at seriously enhanced expense and you may be correct most may still find themselves going, me included. The last thing I'd be considering however would be to pack a pork pie, flask of bovril and a corned beef sandwich so that I could deprive those buggers in Gillingham £5.80.

Yeah but like I said for 2 bit clubs like Gillingham it really does make a difference. Some people on here who still attend home games regularly might boycott the concourse catering, etc. That won't really make any difference anyway as its Venkys covering the costs really but for Gillingham £5.80 probably means something! Scally has always seemed like a bit of a cheapskate to me.

Also did I say people have to pack anything? Give the shops/public houses around the ground money instead of the club. 

It sounds like Rovers aren't happy with the tin pot club too. Why did they only express a concern about the open end at 9.30 when it wouldn't have been any worse a few hours before. And even then they had a hour and a half to clear it. Flaming amateurs.

The EFL should be all over this.

I'm pleased that Rovers have finally got round to addressing, or at least attempting to address, concerns raised by supporters.

Still some inconsistencies here though. Rovers are now 'passing the buck' to Gillingham, absolving themselves of any responsibility for the events of Saturday as they were merely contacted at 11:15am and informed the game was off.

Ultimately Rovers should be requesting an explanation from Gillingham and the 'Safety Advisory Group' (whoever they may be) as to why the 1200 or so away fans couldn't be accommodated elsewhere in the stadium. If that meant relocating a few hundred Gills fans then so be it.

1 hour ago, 4,000 Holes said:

As an aside, here are a few rants from Issues 16 and 17 of 4,000 Holes after the December 1991 postponement at Cambridge. Nothing changes, eh?:(

I don't remember the game being called off, but I remember being at the game when it was played, so it must have been the rearranged game.

The goalie got dog's abuse, it was absolutely freezing and foggy, at least one of the balls got punted miles out of the ground and one of the ball boys was a Burnley fan.

Funny the things you remember.

Having read the statement again I can't believe that the referee was only due to arrive at 11 am. If there was a shred of doubt then the club or EFL should have insisted on a much earlier inspection. If the referee travelled on the morning of the game (it appears that is the case with the statement saying he was due to arrive at 11am) then that isn't acceptable. He should have been made to stay overnight in Gillingham or a local referee brought in much earlier. I understand the decision to postpone it might have been out of the referees hands but the statement on Gillinghams website says the pitch was only "potentially playable".

Amateurish all round.

1 hour ago, arbitro said:

It sounds like Rovers aren't happy with the tin pot club too. Why did they only express a concern about the open end at 9.30 when it wouldn't have been any worse a few hours before. And even then they had a hour and a half to clear it. Flaming amateurs.

The EFL should be all over this.

Hahaha...The idea that the EFL has the gumption to be all over anything!

Just now, Leonard Venkhater said:

Hahaha...The idea that he EFL has the gumption to be all over anything!

You are correct Leonard but the story from Gillingham has more holes in it than our defence ?.

I'm no Perry Mason but I would love to give Scally and his cohorts the third degree over this farce they have created.

Meanwhile, 11 miles down the road at Maidstone, this is how they prepared for their game ( posted on Friday on their website)

"The south east is on standby for the Beast from the East Version Two after an amber weather warning was issued by the Met Office.

If the white stuff does fall in significant quantity, we may need some volunteers to help clear the pitch and viewing areas ahead of kick off.

If help is needed, announcements will be made on Facebook, Twitter and the website"

Check out the video footage ( very professional by the way ) which shows the weather conditions in that part of Kent on Saturday afternoon. Match attended by 2065 fans

http://www.maidstoneunited.co.uk/2018/03/stones-tv-sutton-united-highlights-4/

Maybe Gillingham had worse weather than Maidstone but I doubt it.

1 hour ago, Hanks said:

Good that the club have done the necessary here. The big concern is the fixture pile up that this creates for us now to add to the points reduction between now and our next game.

We’ve been done up like kippers.

9 hours ago, MGPensioner said:

Mike is quiet

Steve is quiet

Suhail is very quiet

The owners are extremely quiet

The stakeholders are...

Who are you suggesting ?

I’m suggesting that Mowbray won’t be the one who says something. If anyone, it’s the lot higher up. It won’t be though, because of what you said. 

Archived