BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Gillingham complaints.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, arbitro said:

You are correct Leonard but the story from Gillingham has more holes in it than our defence ?.

I'm no Perry Mason but I would love to give Scally and his cohorts the third degree over this farce they have created.

Point taken.

I was almost hoping that the "meek", public  response from Rovers was because they already knew things are happening behind the scenes...but in all honesty, I can't see the EFL ever having the political will...

2 hours ago, arbitro said:

Having read the statement again I can't believe that the referee was only due to arrive at 11 am. If there was a shred of doubt then the club or EFL should have insisted on a much earlier inspection. If the referee travelled on the morning of the game (it appears that is the case with the statement saying he was due to arrive at 11am) then that isn't acceptable. He should have been made to stay overnight in Gillingham or a local referee brought in much earlier. I understand the decision to postpone it might have been out of the referees hands but the statement on Gillinghams website says the pitch was only "potentially playable".

Amateurish all round.

I don’t understand how the ref is responsible for inspecting the conditions in the spectator areas ? Is he qualified to take a decision on this? There were matches recently where games were postponed on the Friday, in the past the club would bring in a local referee to take a decision on the playing conditions. Surely there was someone available at 8.00 locally who could have looked over the away end and checked the Met Office forecast ? Still a lot of questions to be answered.

10 hours ago, Oldgregg86 said:

Well I've calmed down and I'm focusing on the positives. A night game under the lights and it won't be minus 6 . It's better than doing housework and cleaning up after kids so happy days

April showers? best take a mop and bucket just in case there is a tsunami (Southern speak for a few spots of rain)on par with alpine avalanche that fell on the scaffold on Saturday as it seems Gillingham seem to lack household basics  like brushes and shovels

12 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Looking at the old 4,000 Holes article, is the author Paul of this parish?

Yep that’s me. I remember the trip and game, I’d forgotten the article. 

I’ve got a full set of FTH in the loft, must dig them out and have a look. 

While I understand people’s outrage and sympathise with those who travelled it was ever thus. Nothing has changed, nothing will. There’s no reason to believe clubs are any more concerned about fans today than they were decades ago - probably less in fact. 

The best one can hope for is a ticket refund or free travel to the rearranged game. I’m not sure 6-7 hours on a coach counts as compensation?

13 minutes ago, meadows said:

I’ve contacted Rob Meaden at the EFL who’s replied that no investigation into the circumstances pertaining to our game is planned but he’s on a train presently but happy to talk later this afternoon. If I get him I’ll include his comments in my column tomorrow

My main line of enquiry will be who ultimately makes a decision on safety of stadium and obviously why there was no inkling much earlier in the day that the offending area wasn’t clear-able? I think everyone accepts that a game can fall victim to conditions but not on what basis there was likely to be any difference in conditions between, say, a reasonable 8-30/9am (too late for very early departees I know) and 11.30am

I’ll also ask what ref protocol is laid down? I find it incredible that no one with refereeing qualifications was on the scene till gone 11  and theoretically the roads,  approaches and stands could have been clear but the pitch deemed unplayable at 12? That surely shouldn’t be possible  

Well done Jim. If you need any help with anything just let me know.

Could you also ask him why the request that Gillingham made to help clear the pitch wasn't utilised to clear the terraces as the pitch clearly was fit and it must have been apparent from early in the morning that the Brian Moore Stand needed some work.

Also I emailed the ELF yesterday morning and as yet haven't even had the courtesy of an acknowledgment.

1 hour ago, meadows said:

I’ve contacted Rob Meaden at the EFL who’s replied that no investigation into the circumstances pertaining to our game is planned but he’s on a train presently but happy to talk later this afternoon. If I get him I’ll include his comments in my column tomorrow

My main line of enquiry will be who ultimately makes a decision on safety of stadium and obviously why there was no inkling much earlier in the day that the offending area wasn’t clear-able? I think everyone accepts that a game can fall victim to conditions but not on what basis there was likely to be any difference in conditions between, say, a reasonable 8-30/9am (too late for very early departees I know) and 11.30am

I’ll also ask what ref protocol is laid down? I find it incredible that no one with refereeing qualifications was on the scene till gone 11  and theoretically the roads,  approaches and stands could have been clear but the pitch deemed unplayable at 12? That surely shouldn’t be possible  

I think the angle should be; why was this the only game cancelled on that day? There were games across the whole country that went ahead with uncovered stands.

As stated its obviously because Cardiff complained. There's absolutely no other reason to ignore Rovers but not Cardiff. I don't think being in the Championship makes a difference especially with Rovers being strong promotion candidates anyway.

1 hour ago, meadows said:

Great Tony. What’s the paperwork procedure? I imagine a result sheet with reason for postponement/s’abandonment if applicable  must be filled in by the ref? The timing of the refs arrival in this case seems a little cavalier

The appeal for help seemed to be to remove the covers but to me that is a little amateurish - one man & his dog could turn up, 10 or 50 or 100 could.  By 12 noon you’d have had enough Rovers fans handy prepared to dig out. 

When there is bad weather forecast the home club should be in constant dialogue with the league, referee and visiting club. Unless the referee is relatively local there is an expectancy that the referee would stay locally and be available for an early inspection solely to prevent visiting fans from unnecessary travel. The onus is on the home club to inform PA, the league and visiting club if the game is off. The same system is also used to confirm the game is on. There was at no time prior to the game any mention of a pitch inspection.

From a paperwork perspective there is nothing formal but on the occasions I had late postponement I was asked by my boss at the Football League to send the him the details with specific timelines and details of contact with the home club.

My belief based on experience is that Gillingham are negligent on several counts by simply and all of these are underpinned by leaving everything until it was too late.

17 hours ago, Vinjay17 said:

As stated its obviously because Cardiff complained. There's absolutely no other reason to ignore Rovers but not Cardiff. I don't think being in the Championship makes a difference especially with Rovers being strong promotion candidates anyway.

or Sky complained as it left them with a problem filling their schedules at late notice.

Pretty sure the live-footballontv.com didn't list it. I was under the impression it wasn't on Tv because of that. Won't trust that site again.

Possibly removed after the postponement but seems pointless as they don't remove other games second final whistle blows. 

I imagine Sky employees were more bothered about the travel and setting up for the live broadcast. Doubt they agonised at HQ over what to put on instead. "Hey Rupert devastating news we had to cancel Derby v Cardiff. Should we put on Championship highlights or a rerun of Premier League Years?"

https://www.rovers.co.uk/news/2018/march/gillingham-ticket-and-travel-update/

The club has clarified its position on refunded/free travel. Essentially if you went on a coach to the original game you are ok for a refund by way of either free travel on the official coach or refund on the unofficial coach.

If you can't or won't travel by coach then tough, you should have read the customer charter and took out travel insurance to cover such things.

5 minutes ago, JHRover said:

https://www.rovers.co.uk/news/2018/march/gillingham-ticket-and-travel-update/

The club has clarified its position on refunded/free travel. Essentially if you went on a coach to the original game you are ok for a refund by way of either free travel on the official coach or refund on the unofficial coach.

If you can't or won't travel by coach then tough, you should have read the customer charter and took out travel insurance to cover such things.

I have just had the following email from Rovers and I feel let down. It appears they haven't even raised this as an issue with the EFL. When you consider that Cardiff have initiated an EFL inquiry I think we have been hung out to dry. After praising the improvement I have noted at Ewood recently I take it all back.

I have responded to this in stronger terms.

Dear Mr Leake

Thank you for your email concerning the recently postponed fixture at Gillingham.  We would like to explain the events leading to the postponement of the game and the steps we are taking to assist those affected.

The club were contacted by officials at Priestfield Stadium at around 9.30am to advise there may be issues, however, this could not be confirmed until the referee had carried out a pitch inspection.   As the issue was in regard to the away supporter enclosure rather than the pitch, the decision was taken by the Sports Grounds Safety Authority to postpone the match at 11am, by which time the majority of our travelling supporters were already near to the ground. 

All tickets for the match can be refunded or reused on the new date.  Those supporters who travelled on our official transport will be entitled to free coach travel  for the return journey and, as a gesture of goodwill, Blackburn Rovers have also agreed to cover the cost of the coach travel for the independent supporter clubs whose members are travelling to the re-arranged fixture.  Unfortunately, we cannot extend this offer to personal travel, however, all supporters in receipt of a match ticket for the original date are welcome to book a place on our official travel free of charge for the re-arranged date.

we do stipulate in the Customer Charter that we cannot take responsibility for rearranged or postponed matches and that adequate travel insurance should be obtained to cover the costs of re-arranged travel.

We are sorry for the inconvenience this matter has caused to our fans but trust you will understand our position.

Yours sincerely

13 minutes ago, arbitro said:

I have just had the following email from Rovers and I feel let down. It appears they haven't even raised this as an issue with the EFL. When you consider that Cardiff have initiated an EFL inquiry I think we have been hung out to dry. After praising the improvement I have noted at Ewood recently I take it all back.

I have responded to this in stronger terms.

Dear Mr Leake

Thank you for your email concerning the recently postponed fixture at Gillingham.  We would like to explain the events leading to the postponement of the game and the steps we are taking to assist those affected.

The club were contacted by officials at Priestfield Stadium at around 9.30am to advise there may be issues, however, this could not be confirmed until the referee had carried out a pitch inspection.   As the issue was in regard to the away supporter enclosure rather than the pitch, the decision was taken by the Sports Grounds Safety Authority to postpone the match at 11am, by which time the majority of our travelling supporters were already near to the ground. 

All tickets for the match can be refunded or reused on the new date.  Those supporters who travelled on our official transport will be entitled to free coach travel  for the return journey and, as a gesture of goodwill, Blackburn Rovers have also agreed to cover the cost of the coach travel for the independent supporter clubs whose members are travelling to the re-arranged fixture.  Unfortunately, we cannot extend this offer to personal travel, however, all supporters in receipt of a match ticket for the original date are welcome to book a place on our official travel free of charge for the re-arranged date.

we do stipulate in the Customer Charter that we cannot take responsibility for rearranged or postponed matches and that adequate travel insurance should be obtained to cover the costs of re-arranged travel.

We are sorry for the inconvenience this matter has caused to our fans but trust you will understand our position.

Yours sincerely

Just had the very same Email. although nothing back from the EFL

21 minutes ago, den9112 said:

Just had the very same Email. although nothing back from the EFL

I have just had a chat to Andy in the EFL Supporter Services and their aim is to reply within seven days. I had a brief chat and he found my email and promised to get back to everybody who has written to them.

Have you responded to the email you got from the Rovers?

17 minutes ago, renrag said:

I think the club’s gesture re the travel arrangements are fair enough, they would leave themselves wide open to all kind of shenanigans if they offered to cover independent travellers. However, if they have not made any overtures to the EFL, as would appear to be the case, that is a different matter and is an abdication of their responsibilities to the fans

But my point is that Gillingham should be paying as Fulham did for a late cancellation several years ago. Why should I be £37 out of pocket through sheer and avoidable incompetence. And this is what Rovers should be taking up with the EFL in a similar way to Cardiff.

1 hour ago, arbitro said:

But my point is that Gillingham should be paying as Fulham did for a late cancellation several years ago. Why should I be £37 out of pocket through sheer and avoidable incompetence. And this is what Rovers should be taking up with the EFL in a similar way to Cardiff.

I havnt posted in a while. I made the trip to gillingham and done every away game this season.  I made the trip by train 9.35am to London Euston. I found out the match was cancelled as soon as I got into London at 11.40am. I found myself stuck in London till 7pm because they wanted £92 for a single ticket after already paying £52. I totally agree with you on this as how the club should go about it. I have mentioned this on main Facebook page and how I feel but got quite a bit of abuse of people

Archived