BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Gillingham complaints.

1 hour ago, arbitro said:

I got a reply back today although not directly from him but one of the admin team.

Me too but it was clearly a cut and paste job.

You would have thought that Steve Waggott, with his 'mantra' of re-engaging with fans, would have taken the trouble of personally answering any emails that were directed to him in the first place.

It is an ideal opportunity to show a willingness to mend bridges, the unequivocal commitment to re-imbursing all for the travel costs needlessly incurred would have been a great gesture , rather than run the risk of re-opening festering wounds.

For all of us travelling independently of BRFC official travel in future, don't forget to take out travel insurance in case the local HSE delegation can't get out of bed before Saturday lunchtime.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, renrag said:

I take your point and fully sympathise with everyone who travelled by car or train, but some rogues would attempt to take advantage. You only need look at the Grenfell Tower fraudsters to see how low some scumbags will stoop

bloody hell renrag, behave.

'Scumbags' won't be planning a major coup to get to a free ride to Gillingham on a Tuesday night and back to Lancashire 4am on Wednesday.

For the cost of a fraction of a week's wages for Whittingham, Caddis, Evans to name but 3, Rovers could (and still can) have scored some serious brownie points in the good will stakes regarding fans.

3 hours ago, renrag said:

I think the club’s gesture re the travel arrangements are fair enough, they would leave themselves wide open to all kind of shenanigans if they offered to cover independent travellers. However, if they have not made any overtures to the EFL, as would appear to be the case, that is a different matter and is an abdication of their responsibilities to the fans

That happened in 7 and a half years ago. The club is now merely a business rather than a part of the community. 

They probably don't want to ruffle any feathers just to benefit us fans!

Sorry. I know you've heard it all before!

Just now, renrag said:

Exactly but the club are offering ANYONE with an original match ticket a free coach ride, regardless of how they travelled last Saturday.

Quite simply I don't like or want to travel by coach. I like using the train if possible or driving if not. It gives me some latitude to plan my journey, stop when I want to and leave when I want to. I miss very few games away from home and spend a significant amount of my pension on Rovers. I feel it is grossly unfair that I am penalised because I don't travel to away games by coach or I am not trusted.

By the way how can I insure my journey in the event of a postponement if I travel by car or rail?

5 hours ago, arbitro said:

I have just had a chat to Andy in the EFL Supporter Services and their aim is to reply within seven days. I had a brief chat and he found my email and promised to get back to everybody who has written to them.

Have you responded to the email you got from the Rovers?

I did respond ,i told them thanks for the reply and although its a great gesture on behalf of the club i will be using my private car ..

My brother is taking the free travel and this works out good for him as wont cost him anything as i paid for the fuel first time round .

Just now, renrag said:

n my humble opinion Rovers have made a good gesture

Got to admit i find it a good gesture even though i traveled privately , my brother is taking advantage of the free travel and so could i if i wanted ,but it would make it far more difficult for me so i have decided to stop overnight....If anything i think Gillingham should make some kind of gesture towards the Rovers fans ,probably a free rain mac if its raining :)

5 minutes ago, renrag said:

I don’t want to get into an argument about this but, you made a choice to travel by rail which is fair enough. As I said,  I acknowledge and sympathise that you lost money. However, if your journey had been to see The Lion King and the show had been cancelled. Would you have expected the Lyceum Theatre to pay your rail fare? Likewise, if the train was delayed or a connection missed, resulting in a missed game, would Virgin, or whoever be expected to pay for the match ticket.

Unfortunately, the fact is that some people just cannot be trusted. I know this from personal experience having been involved with assessing claimants for Royal British Legion benefits. You would not believe some of the attempted scams for minuscule amounts of money.

In my humble opinion Rovers have made a good gesture

Regarding your query about insurance; you would need to ask an insurance broker and I have never been in that line of work.

As I said earlier my gripe with Rovers is that they haven't instigated an enquiry by the EFL. I spoke to somebody at the league today and they were surprised when I pointed out several aspects of Gillinghams inadequacies that Rovers haven't complained on behalf of the travelling supporters.

In all honesty it seems to me that Rovers don't want to rock the boat and stumping up the money themselves for the official transport seems like the soft option.

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/cardiff-city-chief-executive-calls-1360775

Just now, renrag said:

A good friend of mine was saying last night that by making a song and dance, Warnock might just have upped the anti and given Derby some extra incentive when the re-arranged game takes place. He feels that may be one reason Rovers have kept a low profile, so that the re-arranged game is just a normal fixture. It’s one point of view but not one I could 100% agree with

I wondered about this earlier in the week. Is it wise to be winding Gillingham and their fans up for the rearranged game?

41 minutes ago, Rogerb said:

I wondered about this earlier in the week. Is it wise to be winding Gillingham and their fans up for the rearranged game?

I'm lost for words regarding that comment Rogerb, I can only guess you didn't make the trip on Saturday.

I can assure you that Rovers fans that made the trip are well and truly wound up, of that make no mistake!

I have had a personal phone call from Steve waggott yesterday but I just got home from work. He has read my emails and has promised to make a call Monday 5pm as he is in meetings all day tommorow. Going to be interesting

1 hour ago, darrenrover said:

I'm lost for words regarding that comment Rogerb, I can only guess you didn't make the trip on Saturday.

I can assure you that Rovers fans that made the trip are well and truly wound up, of that make no mistake!

1 hour ago, darrenrover said:

The bigger picture is the three points anything that makes that more difficult to achieve doesn't help.  Get the game out of the way first and then complain to authorities about the state of the stand and Trevor kettles lie in

46 minutes ago, Rogerb said:

The bigger picture is the three points anything that makes that more difficult to achieve doesn't help.  Get the game out of the way first and then complain to authorities about the state of the stand and Trevor kettles lie in

Wait a minute - it should be Rovers and our fans that are 'wound' up for the next match after this treatment. Anyhow, how are Gils fans going to be wound up about our club complaining? Even their players - really? They should understand our gripes - not take it like we are causing trouble.

18 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

Wait a minute - it should be Rovers and our fans that are 'wound' up for the next match after this treatment. Anyhow, how are Gils fans going to be wound up about our club complaining? Even their players - really? They should understand our gripes - not take it like we are causing trouble.

Damn right. Its not anything against their players or fans (except the ones who blindly defend their club) just the administration, etc. Their players ought to be annoyed having trained for a week and presumably discussing specific tactical plans It should have been them afraid of pissing Rovers off in the first place but as usual the club rolls over. Hopefully won't do that in the remaining games!

Scared of upsetting Gillingham...crying out loud. 

As for Warnock several people wanted him here. Well that's the type of thing the club would have got from him isn't it? While I wasn't vitriolically opposed to it (considering the other terrible candidates linked) I thought he was too old (and I'm not sure on his working arrangements at Cardiff but there were suggestions about him only working a certain number of days, etc) and he's hardly Bobby Robson is he? Speaking of work days, etc I can't see Tan allowing someone to work only a couple of days a week. Maybe they offered him more money though so he agreed to work more?

I think this is all being over thought and no one has given it a seconds thought since Saturday and it is now just a distant memory. The only people who care are the people that travelled and nothing is going to change that. To think any player from either side gives a shit is optmistic at best. No one is going to be "up for it" players fans etc any more next Tuesday than they where Saturday gone. The club have laid in free travel , it's annoying and disappointing have to do the journey again and I feel for the people out of pocket but surly it's time to let it go and move on. 

Oh I don't know. If Rovers players have a promotion bonus (even if its somewhat minimal some players make a big deal of a few extra grand) they will probably be up for it. Maybe even for footballing reasons too though forgive me if my faith in such virtues isn't exceptionally strong. Not just talking Rovers here.

Could depend on other results of course. Unlikely but if Rovers win every game before Gillingham and Wigan/Shrewsbury lose all of theirs it will obviously lower the pressure somewhat. I certainly don't think its inconceivable that Rovers could win all the games prior while either Wigan/Shrewsbury lose a couple. The players should feel more pressure though at this club under any circumstances compared to Wigan and certainly Shrewsbury. Wouldn't want it any other way. Especially after the last few bloody years.

I had a call from Steve Waggott this afternoon in respect of the two emails I sent following the Gillingham postponement. I reiterated my disappointment that Rovers hadn't initiated an official complaint to the EFL and cited the case of Cardiff raising several issues formally following the postponement of their match at Derby. He said the the difference was that Derby (the club) called their game off whilst a Safety Advisory Group took the decision to postpone our match and from that safety perspective we didn't really have a case. I pointed out several aspects of the circumstances regarding our postponement where I feel Gillingham were negligent and he agreed. I am still waiting for the EFL to formally respond following my email on Monday and telecon with a Supporter Services employee yesterday. I still have it in mind to refer the case to the football ombudsman for their advice if I don't get any satisfaction from the EFL.

I actually said to Steve that the conversation I had with him was the first direct contact I have had with anybody at the club since John Williams left despite sending several emails to the various incumbents over the past seven years. He said he was trying to reach out to supporters and by speaking to them direct he gets an idea of their grievances.

• Backroom
2 hours ago, arbitro said:

I had a call from Steve Waggott this afternoon in respect of the two emails I sent following the Gillingham postponement. I reiterated my disappointment that Rovers hadn't initiated an official complaint to the EFL and cited the case of Cardiff raising several issues formally following the postponement of their match at Derby. He said the the difference was that Derby (the club) called their game off whilst a Safety Advisory Group took the decision to postpone our match and from that safety perspective we didn't really have a case. I pointed out several aspects of the circumstances regarding our postponement where I feel Gillingham were negligent and he agreed. I am still waiting for the EFL to formally respond following my email on Monday and telecon with a Supporter Services employee yesterday. I still have it in mind to refer the case to the football ombudsman for their advice if I don't get any satisfaction from the EFL.

I actually said to Steve that the conversation I had with him was the first direct contact I have had with anybody at the club since John Williams left despite sending several emails to the various incumbents over the past seven years. He said he was trying to reach out to supporters and by speaking to them direct he gets an idea of their grievances.

That way of thinking, if he acts on supporter concerns, will get him a very positive relationship with the fans. Here's hoping.

23 hours ago, Oldgregg86 said:

I think this is all being over thought and no one has given it a seconds thought since Saturday and it is now just a distant memory. The only people who care are the people that travelled and nothing is going to change that. To think any player from either side gives a shit is optmistic at best. No one is going to be "up for it" players fans etc any more next Tuesday than they where Saturday gone. The club have laid in free travel , it's annoying and disappointing have to do the journey again and I feel for the people out of pocket but surly it's time to let it go and move on. 

I wasnt out of pocket but it still angers me that fellow fans were...I have certainly given it a second and third thought. 

4 hours ago, arbitro said:

very good that Steve Waggott did ring you and you was able to give your concerns to him. 

4 hours ago, arbitro said:

I got told of his pa he was in meetings all day today and would phone me at 5pm monday. Has he said anything about compensating fans who travelled independant. As that was part of my email as well as how the game was postponed. They can do it for independant coach travel so rovers could meet half way and pay value of coach travel

Archived